Golden 2012-08-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Golden 2012-08-24

Post by Yamara »

Wdot wrote:
zachariah wrote:Careful Shelly. Squeeze to hard and the swim suit top will pop like a balloon.
(crowd in the background chanting harder, harder, harder. YEAAAA!)

That was too easy a fix. This may quiet down some of Monica's qualms about Shelly but it doesn't address them. Nor does it let her anywhere near the deeper issues. In fact if you really look at this it doesn't fix anything. All it does is give them a laugh together and remind Monica of the friendship they have. Anything beyond that will depend on how well Monica can hold on to that feeling. But all a joke and a hug does is sweep it under the carpet. Really talking is required, serious talking.
Not necessarily talking. Communicating. Some of the best of which is non-verbal. Sometimes a hug says volumes.
M's reaction is saying volumes, too. Her terror is plain to everyone. (And what FPF said.)

Bia warned that Acacia still had things to teach Shelly, and here we see a parallel developing. Hopefully, Shelly will not feel as helpless-- she's got backup all across the beach.

In the old comments, in the scene where Shelly returned from the Time Forest, Paul mentioned that Shelly's cheerful comforting of Monica was supposed to seem a little forced-- and it did, though there was a lot of info and emotions flying around, so it was trickier to separate why. This time, Monica's smiles are clearly filtered through panic.* Is a fart joke as funny when you're thinking about what the sphinx standing in front of you just ate to produce that gas? Is a firm hug from one more welcoming than it is threatening?

Body language points to "no".

But communication has to start somewhere, and it may as well start with some laughs and hugs. Monica knows what she stands to lose by ditching Shelly, and needs to know that Shelly feels the same on that score.

*I'm actually imagining Panic, having quietly slipped M's bonds and notice these last few minutes, stretched out in the surf, chilling in her beach gear-- chilling, mind you, displaying an icicle calm we've never seen her exhibit before as she glances over her shades with languid eyes in the direction of her squirming queen-- saying through rows of her triangular teeth, "Coming back into the water?"

I think too much.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
as363

Post by as363 »

Very nice Paul - and now two days of second guessing as to where we go on Monday.

I'm just along for the ride - and enjoying it.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

heh heh... today's How To Be A Retronaut...

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/08/circus-lions-1905/
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Yamara wrote:*I'm actually imagining Panic, having quietly slipped M's bonds and notice these last few minutes, stretched out in the surf, chilling in her beach gear-- chilling, mind you, displaying an icicle calm we've never seen her exhibit before as she glances over her shades with languid eyes in the direction of her squirming queen-- saying through rows of her triangular teeth, "Coming back into the water?"

I think too much.
Makes me wish I could draw!

Fanart ahoy!
ImageImage
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Yamara wrote:
Wdot wrote:
zachariah wrote:Careful Shelly. Squeeze to hard and the swim suit top will pop like a balloon.
(crowd in the background chanting harder, harder, harder. YEAAAA!)

That was too easy a fix. This may quiet down some of Monica's qualms about Shelly but it doesn't address them. Nor does it let her anywhere near the deeper issues. In fact if you really look at this it doesn't fix anything. All it does is give them a laugh together and remind Monica of the friendship they have. Anything beyond that will depend on how well Monica can hold on to that feeling. But all a joke and a hug does is sweep it under the carpet. Really talking is required, serious talking.
Not necessarily talking. Communicating. Some of the best of which is non-verbal. Sometimes a hug says volumes.
M's reaction is saying volumes, too. Her terror is plain to everyone. (And what FPF said.)

Bia warned that Acacia still had things to teach Shelly, and here we see a parallel developing. Hopefully, Shelly will not feel as helpless-- she's got backup all across the beach.

In the old comments, in the scene where Shelly returned from the Time Forest, Paul mentioned that Shelly's cheerful comforting of Monica was supposed to seem a little forced-- and it did, though there was a lot of info and emotions flying around, so it was trickier to separate why. This time, Monica's smiles are clearly filtered through panic.* Is a fart joke as funny when you're thinking about what the sphinx standing in front of you just ate to produce that gas? Is a firm hug from one more welcoming than it is threatening?

But communication has to start somewhere, and it may as well start with some laughs and hugs. Monica knows what she stands to lose by ditching Shelly, and needs to know that Shelly feels the same on that score.

*I'm actually imagining Panic, having quietly slipped M's bonds and notice these last few minutes, stretched out in the surf, chilling in her beach gear-- chilling, mind you, displaying an icicle calm we've never seen her exhibit before as she glances over her shades with languid eyes in the direction of her squirming queen-- saying through rows of her triangular teeth, "Coming back into the water?"

I think too much.
I always respect your opinions in regarding Wapsi even though I sometimes don't agree with them. I think this is one of them. I don't think Monica's body language is indicating emotional discomfort. I think she is actually having fun.

This whole situation calls for a quote:
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
Frank Herbert
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:And no one can hold a grudge like an immortal, either.
"[The Queen of Manticore] was reputed to hold grudges until they died of old age ... and then have them stuffed and mounted."
I find a heavy meal before mounting to be detrimental to the proceedings...
PunPal would like you to deposit a hammer and a few nails for that one. Or a Home Depot credit card.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"[The Queen of Manticore] was reputed to hold grudges until they died of old age ... and then have them stuffed and mounted."
I find a heavy meal before mounting to be detrimental to the proceedings...
PunPal would like you to deposit a hammer and a few nails for that one. Or a Home Depot credit card.
How about a nice set of home-made shelves to store all the old mayonaise jars fulla....valuables?
Last edited by Jabberwonky on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Yamara wrote: M's reaction is saying volumes, too. Her terror is plain to everyone. (And what FPF said.)

This time, Monica's smiles are clearly filtered through panic.* Is a fart joke as funny when you're thinking about what the sphinx standing in front of you just ate to produce that gas? Is a firm hug from one more welcoming than it is threatening?

I think too much.

Respectfully, I disagree. I see a lot of uncertainty when M first approaches Shelly, and she seems a little taken aback with "I farted", but I think those words disarmed a lot of her fear: This is still Shelley, and Shelley is her friend. After that, I see no fear. There may well still be some uncertainty in the future, because Shelley is also a sphinx, But I think the fear is greatly lessened.
Now, when M finally sees Phix again, then Panic may show up, but I think she will still be restrained. I like your image of her in the water, though ;)
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

davids4250 wrote:Respectfully, I disagree. I see a lot of uncertainty when M first approaches Shelly, and she seems a little taken aback with "I farted", but I think those words disarmed a lot of her fear: This is still Shelley, and Shelley is her friend. After that, I see no fear. There may well still be some uncertainty in the future, because Shelley is also a sphinx, But I think the fear is greatly lessened.
Now, when M finally sees Phix again, then Panic may show up, but I think she will still be restrained. I like your image of her in the water, though ;)
That's exactly how I'm reading it, too...
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Some good toilet humor is always good to break the tension. I don't see Monica being afraid of Shelly any more than she is of the GGG's; as a unit or separately, each one of the latter could destroy a world if they got pissed off. Eating another demon out of spite is weak sauce in comparison. But Monica had a front-row seat at Phix's supper, which brings it a lot closer to home. She'll get over it.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

The Old Wolf wrote:Some good toilet humor is always good to break the tension. I don't see Monica being afraid of Shelly any more than she is of the GGG's; as a unit or separately, each one of the latter could destroy a world if they got pissed off. Eating another demon out of spite is weak sauce in comparison. But Monica had a front-row seat at Phix's supper, which brings it a lot closer to home. She'll get over it.
Well, yeah, the GGGs are seriously dangerous. But Monica controls them.

Not as scary as a newly-revealed cannibalistic Sphinx who's always presented herself as pretty much just one of the girls.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
The Old Wolf wrote:Some good toilet humor is always good to break the tension. I don't see Monica being afraid of Shelly any more than she is of the GGG's; as a unit or separately, each one of the latter could destroy a world if they got pissed off. Eating another demon out of spite is weak sauce in comparison. But Monica had a front-row seat at Phix's supper, which brings it a lot closer to home. She'll get over it.
Well, yeah, the GGGs are seriously dangerous. But Monica controls them.

Not as scary as a newly-revealed cannibalistic Sphinx who's always presented herself as pretty much just one of the girls.
Yes, but in this case she will have to remember what Phix was going through at that moment before she snapped. I noted in another thread that Phix's reaction to Miss S'plodyhead, in legal circles could be interpreted as temporary insanity. Such events are considered one time events and are not expected to happen again. As long as Monica remembers this, she will see Phix (and Shelly) as the friends she remembers again.
Monica had a visceral realization about what all of her supernatural friends had warned her about since the time she met them all. She always knew in her intelect that they could all do horrible things, but she dismissed it in her emotional thought. Things like this can be very hard to get over, but I would hope that she can recover.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Can't get over how Paul can change the mood os the strip so quickly.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You obviously haven't been around long. ;)

By the way - that's what the seat belts and hand holds are for.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:You obviously haven't been around long. ;)

"Please keep your hands and feet inside the strip until it comes to a complete halt.
In the event of a water landing, the main character can be used as a floataion device."
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Jabberwonky wrote:

"Please keep your hands and feet inside the strip until it comes to a complete halt.
In the event of a water landing, the main character can be used as a floatation device."
Fantastic and accurate quote there!

I resisted chiming in as I know that it will just sound like someone grousing but I would very much enjoy a typical abrupt Paul shift in the focus of the strip.
Today's strip did feel like we are about to shift gears which I enjoy. The Shelly character is my least favorite by far and I patiently wait till things get "resolved" for her and then hope that something else happens.

Again, I know that I am in a very small minority regarding the Shelly character developments. It is almost embarrassing for me, but I just do not find anything about the way the character has altered over time appealing, engaging or of interest. As more and more focus has been on Shelly I found my self more and more reactive and dismissive of the whole strip and even considered stopping reading the strip outright.

Then, and I think luckily, someone in one of the reply areas responded and said they could at least understand my opinion and that my dislike was of that character and not the strip as a whole. It was a paradigm shift. I had been so focused on trying to understand why I disliked the Shelly character so much that it was coloring my entire outlook and expectation of the strip. That character was so bad, so repugnant to me that it was like some bitter flavor that lingered in your mouth and made everything else taste, well just off.

So, I ignore Shelly and all things Shelly and even though it is essentially massive denial and a bit of compartmentalization it has made my recent reads of Wapsi so much better. I do not care how or why or when or even could she be a sphinx. I ignore the whole Time Forest thing. I push aside little spooky girl. I do not buy into the essentially that last several years of modification and rework of the character and focus on all the others. Oddly it works.

That is why, here at one of those moments when the strip seems to pause at the top of the roller coaster hill I let my hope rise that perhaps, just possibly, the track might go off in some other direction.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

And the complimentary neck brace. Don't forget the neck brace for sudden plot direction/mood shifts. Oh, and the wading boots for when it gets a bit too deep in WTF-ness or blood-n-guts.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Years from now, someone will write a doctoral thesis from U of M about Paul and this webcomic.

It'll get turned down because even the review board won't understand it. :D :( :o :geek:
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Been reading the strip since December, have read through the archive at least 4 times. I'm very familiar with the sudden, unexpected changes of direction, and enjoy them, with or without seat belts or hand holds :D . I just am always a little surprised when he does it.
I'm glad Monica and Shelley will be friends. While neither of them is my favorite character, I still like them both.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:And the complimentary neck brace. Don't forget the neck brace for sudden plot direction/mood shifts. Oh, and the wading boots for when it gets a bit too deep in WTF-ness or blood-n-guts.
Jabberwonky wrote:"Please keep your hands and feet inside the strip until it comes to a complete halt.
In the event of a water landing, the main character can be used as a floataion device."
I feel like these things should be posted as disclaimers on the main Wapsi Square page. :) Or maybe used as fan quotes for the back of a Wapsi book in print when people are trying to decide whether or not to buy it. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."