Wapsi Held Hostage - Day 14 (was Castela Notice 2015-07-05)

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Castela Moving Notice (Sun 2015-07-05 - hiatus to 7/20)

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Greg watches the dust settle, reaches into his shirt and pulls out a deck of cards. Absentmindedly, he shuffles them for a bit before removing the M-17-A1 that protected his upper respiratory system.

"Poker, anyone? I think I remember how to play..."
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:HOT DIGGITY DINGBATS!!!
Smile when you say that, pardner!
I most certainly is!!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Baronessa

Post by Baronessa »

Hansontoons wrote:Please refer to the first page of this, um, thing, around half way down the page. Sgt. Howard made a post and it took on a life of its own... and here we are!

The Author posts random updates on Facebook, all is not well in Iowa when it comes to interwebs providers. You can get all the corn, soybeans, and hogs you want. But a simple connection to the world? Fuggeadaboudit in this particular point in time, space, and reality.
Oh, is that how it happened? ::chuckle:: Well, I'll just observe, then. I'm not a particularly bold individual.

HA. I hope that's not an indicator of what it's going to be like when I move to NC. Either way, I should probably find said author on facebook, but I always feel silly doing that. Then again, I can just stick to the forums...

Sgt. Howard wrote:I am the guilty party regarding the style of writing that you are witness to- the truth is I am one of several story tellers that populate the forum, some of whom seem rather gifted in this respect. Why this particular webcomic tends to attract such people would be hard to qualify, but it does seem to be the case... anymore I rarely crack open my regular Email as this place seems far more interesting even in the absence of the fellow who created it. The 'toons themselves are fascinating, but the commentary that follows is any quality you seek... but be warned, there is far more punning goes on here than many states and counties allow. To play it safe, I limit myself to storytelling, music/song parody and on extremely rare occasion, a limerick... or two...
Bear in mind that in certain parts of central California, it's 'Use a PUN, go to JAIL!' with emphasis on the 'three strikes' rule. Be safe- wear a condominium. That might be a joke but I doubt it... my wife is making threatening noises so I will desist.
Wander through the various forums here at your leisure, we are friendly, silly and downright absurd most of the time. Be aware that all of this is not really RP stuff as much as here we let our imaginations run wild where they cannot hurt things... or each other... hopefully... although there was a near-miss with the artillery strike that yours truly was arraigning against the IPs that Paul was attempting to have dealings with... four batteries (sixteen guns) of the 155mm variety doing what is referred to as 'walking artillery' (total destruction). Others played with technologies not yet devised- this particular thread started as a 'Wapsiholic anonymous' situation and degraded from there.

Enjoy your wander-
the Old Sgt.
I think this particular comic attracts all sorts of people due to its awesomeness. Writing and telling a story is fun; I can see why people have continued the trend that you have started, Sgt. I'm not particularly good at puns, so I'll just giggle at the few I see (or the many, actually, as it would seem to be the more I browse the forum).
I figured that it wasn't a precise story when people were interjecting normally along with it. I'm definitely amused by all the character and dramatics that are wandering about through here, though. So I'll continue my meander and voice my own thoughts as I go if I feel like butting in somewhere. I've actually been a fan of Wapsi for a very long time, but only just recently decided to join the forum.
I think I'm getting too bored for my own good.

Thank you for the welcome!

Hansontoons wrote:And and and and didja see what Paul posted on fizbok, er fissbuc, ah wtf, he posted that Wapsi returns NEXT MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
And then I saw this and may have squealed a little in glee...
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.
It's not.

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wapsi Square: Come for the Babes, Stay for the Story.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
as363

Post by as363 »

Got the same post on my Facebook page. Gots to believe the man.
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
jwhouk wrote:The Nordic Foursome is how I keep from having any song get stuck in my brain. Something ends up getting stuck, and all it takes is, "IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE..."
I use either the Super Mario world 1-1 song, Ezio's Family from Assassin's Creed, the Skyrim title song, or the Fable theme song.
They all seem to work fairly well with me.
(can you tell I'm a gamer yet? :roll: )
"The Great Gates of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhbition
Pictures at an Exhibition; ELP; lost youth flashback; sigh…

Though these days it is six of one to half dozen of the other which one — ELP vs some orchestra — goes through my head if I whistle one of the tunes walking down the street
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:The Nordic Foursome is how I keep from having any song get stuck in my brain. Something ends up getting stuck, and all it takes is, "IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE..."
I have never wished death on a fellow forumite before...now I do wish it. :evil:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:
I have never wished death on a fellow forumite before...now I do wish it. :evil:
I didn't recognize the lyric, looked it up. JW, you are most cruel. :D

I avoided most of what passed for popular music during those years and have no regrets!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Warrl wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:“Ladies and gents, behold the Dimensional Mapping Transponder and World Entity Zone Locator." Gyrre indicated the map display and muttered, “I really need a shorter name for this." Hansontoons let out a chuckle, but Gyrre wasn't sure if it was related.
Gyrre consulted his note book and then poked at the DMT&WZL.
It's obviously the Damit Weasel.
Gyrre raised both eyebrows and slightly tilted his head to the right in amusement, then shrugged. "Works for me. Especially considering how long it takes to get working."
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

GlytchMeister wrote: I use either the Super Mario world 1-1 song, Ezio's Family from Assassin's Creed, the Skyrim title song, or the Fable theme song.
They all seem to work fairly well with me.
(can you tell I'm a gamer yet? :roll: )
Any particular version of the Super Mario Bros. 1-1 theme?
Personally, I'm partial to the arrangement that mixes in the game over theme; 'Mario Likes Thorazine'. It's a string arrangement.
Source
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Wapsi Square: Come for the Boobs, Stay for the Story.
FTFY
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Wapsi Square: Come for the Boobs, Stay for the Story.
FTFY
I was trying to keep under the YA-13 rating...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

louisxiv wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: "The Great Gates of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhbition

Though these days it is six of one to half dozen of the other which one — ELP vs some orchestra — goes through my head if I whistle one of the tunes walking down the street
Ah yes. ELP and lost youth. I about fell over when Dr Pepper used part of Karn Evil in a commercial. And the cruise line that used Iggy Pop's Lust for Life in a commercial featuring a happy family having the best time of their life.

I know there are others, these two just stick in my head. I have to wonder if the ad people that created the spots had to stifle a laugh when they presented the commercial to the suits, the rest of the lyrics in both these songs aren't really white-bread family friendly. Or did they all know and they just figure that the majority of people have no clue?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Greg watches the dust settle, reaches into his shirt and pulls out a deck of cards. Absentmindedly, he shuffles them for a bit before removing the M-17-A1 that protected his upper respiratory system.

"Poker, anyone? I think I remember how to play..."
'Toons finished hacking up bricks and pulled a clean towel from his pack and rasped out "Sure, gimme a few minutes to clean my glasses at the sink. I have some time before I need to head for the house."

"Ah, that's better, I can see again!" he said a few minutes later as he walked back across the room, his shoes leaving prints in the dust coating and scattering the occasional empty soda can and other random detritus.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Remind me again how the big ISP telecoms are managing to get away with this crap by blaming the customers?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:
louisxiv wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: "The Great Gates of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhbition

Ah yes. ELP and lost youth. I about fell over when Dr Pepper used part of Karn Evil in a commercial. And the cruise line that used Iggy Pop's Lust for Life in a commercial featuring a happy family having the best time of their life.

I know there are others, these two just stick in my head. I have to wonder if the ad people that created the spots had to stifle a laugh when they presented the commercial to the suits, the rest of the lyrics in both these songs aren't really white-bread family friendly. Or did they all know and they just figure that the majority of people have no clue?
AT&T using the Ramones?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Re: Wapsi Held Hostage - Day 12 (was Castela Notice 2015-07-

Post by jwhouk »

"Our great national nightmare is over."

(Irony of ironies, that we're gonna be 41 years and a few days removed from when that statement was made...)
Hansontoons

Re: Wapsi Held Hostage - Day 12 (was Castela Notice 2015-07-

Post by Hansontoons »

jwhouk wrote:"Our great national nightmare is over."

(Irony of ironies, that we're gonna be 41 years and a few days removed from when that statement was made...)
72 years since Operation Tidal Wave.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Hansontoons wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Glytch narrows his eyes at Dave and resists the urge to google this 'Bubblegum Music' he spoke of.
"You know, I've already been corrupted by your puns! I make one at least once a day now." Glytch called after Dave. D'ya really have to cause more damage?"
No pun with bubblegum reference, more of a term for "sugary pop music" songs like the one that even mention of sent jwhouk into convulsions. :lol:

And "earworm" is a term for a song or tune that gets stuck in your head and you cannot get rid of it. :shock:
I think someone might have been referencing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_Crisis :ugeek: Now you have another time-waster... :o
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

TazManiac wrote:I have breaking news!
Wapsi Square returns Monday, August 3rd!
Oh, wait...

damn, you guys are faster than I am...
OK then, only 1 liter of Methyl Mercaptan deposited in the AC ducts of the company that did NOT provide service. :mrgreen: Whodathunkit that MM was so easy and cheap to manufacture in small amounts? But I fear I will never get the smell outta my hair. At least I won't have to worry about sharing a seat on the bus for a while.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.