Wapsi Held Hostage - Day 14 (was Castela Notice 2015-07-05)

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Castela Moving Notice (Sun 2015-07-05 - hiatus to 7/20)

Post by Warrl »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Greg was noticing the beginnings of 'barracks housekeeping' going on... he wandered over to the (alleged) bathroom and looked inside. The toilet was sufficiently foul that fresh excrement would likely crawl out and run for safety. The sink was marginally better. He closed the door, having successfully stifled a gag reflex, and pulled an ancient, hand-held two-way wireless device that was probably salvaged from Omaha beach RED-DOG-EASY sector on June 8th, 1944 when most of the bodies had been cleared.

"Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley, do you read? Over"

"SWWIIIIIIIIIIIEKRACK! an u ou a ear- ow u ea ee? Oer"

"Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley, I read you loud and clear- requesting accommodations accessory M-43-A12-X to these co-ordinates, with hook-up to civilian utilities in accordance to Adjutant Corps SOP TM-56-987, page 14, paragraph 2- can you comply? Over,"

"POPPOPPOPOPOPOPOPOPWEEEEEEE! a-ive, oress in out, oer,"

" Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley, much obliged, over and out,"

There was a slight rumble behind the door and a loud THUD- Greg opened the door again to expose a short hallway with a door at the end and on either side- "Men", "Women" and "Jacuzzi" were the demarcations in white stencil over olive-drab paint... all fresh by the smell of it.

"Is there anything else that might be of use?" he asked the crowd.
Uma walks away from the swiftly-closing portal and mutters "Can't they come up with something challenging?"
jwhouk

Re: Castela Moving Notice (Sun 2015-07-05 - hiatus to 7/22)

Post by jwhouk »

Heh. The 867-5309 joke appeared in that comic, too...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
There was a slight rumble behind the door and a loud THUD- Greg opened the door again to expose a short hallway with a door at the end and on either side- "Men", "Women" and "Jacuzzi" were the demarcations in white stencil over olive-drab paint... all fresh by the smell of it.

"Is there anything else that might be of use?" he asked the crowd.

“Well, my dear thing, if I may be so presumptuous as to take up your kind invitation to comment?”

Turning, Greg sees Louis emerging from the jacuzzi. He is kimono-clad, paint immaculate though hair artfully dew’d with sparkles of moisture, cane in one hand, a martini glass half-empty in the other.

“I must say I am most impressed by the size of your magnificent olive-drab erection, and ’twould be invidious to bewail the lack of hot and cold plunges, a steam room, marble halls and the complete nonexistance of young, giggling, lissom attendants to serve one’s every bodily need, so I shall allow that, in the circumstances, size must stand instead for taste and elegance.

“The lack of a bar, however... Is there still a prohibition in this land?” A circular wave of the cane includes the hall and surroundings. “I may say that would explain the dusty landscape in this pocket reality you have, otherwise, so artfully conjured.

“But in times of dearth one’s duty is clear: from each according to their ability, to each according to their need. In my exploration I noted a weak seam in the olive-drab fabric of this sub-pocket reality, which, by my dexterous manipulation, I have picked apart and rejoined to, on the left hand path — do be mindful of the briars — for the real ale enthusiasts lies The Old Phoenix tap room, whereas the right hand path — just through the wild wildwoods — takes you to a certain Crosstime Saloon, more suited to those of spirituous tastes...

“Of course the wise will know better than to take the broad path straight ahead, for that, as ever, leads to the utmost pits of hell, where some of our companions may suffer the disconcert of meeting themselves coming back. Again.”

Louis tosses off the last contents of the glass and, tapping it with his cane, hands Greg a caved soap figurine of the Pontiff, dangling by a piece of string from the triple crown.

“Do please allow me to take you on a private guided tour of all the fascinating little nooks and crannies I have discovered though the green door, dear heart…”
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Glytch experimentally poked the screen a few times when it showed the familiar Arabic numerals 0-9. The screen stopped cycling through different languages and each number Glytch had tapped appeared near the top of the screen. A backspace button and an empty button appeared next to the 0. Unsure what to do next, Glytch typed "12345," an the entire screen briefly flashed red and the numbers near the top were cleared.
"It's a passcode. Bugger!" He turned to Kingklash. "I don't suppose you have any gadgets that can crack a five-digit numerical passcode?"
Kingklash shrugged mutely. "I've no clue if the programs my tech run would be compatible with whatever this is."
Glytch nodded. "Very well. Brute force it is." He swiftly unplugged and replugged the control panel. It flickered and again began to cycle through different numeric styles. "Perfect. Now, what are some numbers that have significance to the Wapsiverse, Paul Taylor, or the Library?" Glytch sat back and began to think.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

“Hmmm..." Gyrre scratched his chin, “Maybe try the number of the month followed by the year, Glytch."

Gyrre looked around the room. “So, does that thing have a kitchenette or should I find somewhere to set mine up." He patted the storage lantern. “I've got a variety of meats, fruits and vegetables."
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Glytch narrowed his eyes at Gyrre, his hopes of some piece of ancient alien tech having been dashed.
With a sigh, he pulled out his phone and looked at the telephone app's keypad. The word "wapsi" translated into 92774. Conveniently, a five-digit combination. "Thank goodness this reality is a manifestation of our imaginations, wants, and wills." Glytch whispered as he typed in the combination.
Instantly, the control panel glowed green and several options appeared on the screen. One took the form of a picture that looked remarkably like Kingklash's map device. Glytch tapped it and found himself looking at a reproduction of the multiverse. The small, bright nub that was their current location showed a thin, almost invisible connection to another universe. Several other universes appeared to branch off of it. The central one appeared rather static, while some of the branches whirled with activity.
That must be the Wapsiverse and all the fanfictions it has inspired. I wonder... Glytch tapped and dragged one end of the connection and followed a path of branching universes before letting go.
The portal pulsed and a low hum filled the air as the image shifted. Now, instead of the Wapsiverse, everyone was treated to a view of the inside of an outhouse.
"Nope, wrong branch." Glytch undid the change and tried another branch, this time alighting on some abandoned building. "Closer..." Another try, and now the portal showed an image of Glytch's very messy bedroom. "Perfect! Haha!" Glytch quickly tied a bowline around his waist with rope from his pack, secured the other end to a table leg, and carefully walked through the portal.
Looking back, he saw his rope dangling out of a door-sized portal over his bed. Glytch quickly found the two bags he was here for and hurried back to the portal. "If anybody needs to get home, I believe this is the way to do it..." He announced to the group. "However, if you don't want to be locked out, I suggest you use something to keep yourself tethered to this reality. Otherwise, you might not be able to return here."
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Totally baffled, holding what amounted to a "Pope on a Rope Soap" (say THAT fast ten times), Greg looked at the kimono'ed form before him and pondered- that is true- he had not considered a source of libation. Being a recovering alcoholic, he wouldn't... but THIS is a non-reality! THIS is a trip through the ozone! And he had just been offered a tour from somebody as outrageous as himself (if in a totally different direction) of the possibilities contrived within his own military establishment- perhaps he could fabricate an old-fashioned NCO club? With 'Mad Dog' McKinney as tender? For those (as himself) with less refined tastes? Maybe...
Greg took a moment to consider the efforts of the 'übergeeks' regarding the door gizmo- they could explain the whuffos and howcums once he returned- mustering his best W. C. Fields impersonation, he responded "Ah yes, my good fellow- do lead on, do lead on... and advise me of any shortcuts,"
Catching the reference immediately, Louis asked, "Do you have a favorite form of libation?"
"The next one, always the next one," came the answer.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Meanwhile, Devyn, Atsali, and Nadette are involved in an intense game of sand volleyball a the Poseidon resort.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I'm curious as to who (or what) is on the other side of the net.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Probably Jessie, Berdine, and Alexis. Or maybe Mallory instead of Jessie.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Glytch watched Greg follow Louis into the Orbital Drop Shock Bathhouse with an uneasy feeling, and tore his eyes away from the door as it shut behind the mismatched pair to focus on the two bags he had brought back from his reality.
One was a large, red, internal-frame backpack with thick shoulder straps, a sturdy hip strap, and a small breastbone strap. He had used this pack during his days as a Boy Scout. Now, it was one of two "bug-out bags" he maintained along with his small red pack he had originally come to the meeting with.
Whereas the small red pack was meant more for day-trip scenarios, the large one was packed with changes of clothes, a mummy-style sleeping bag, an inflatable sleeping pad, a tarp, a coffin tent, a water purifier, camp utensils and cookware, a telescoping metal hiking staff, a disassembled compound hunting now and quiver of arrows, and had snow pants, a winter coat, rain gear, and climbing gear and thick rope tied to the outside with a bunch of paracord.
The second pack contained a laptop, iPad, charging cords, external storage, full-sized notebooks and a drawing, writing, and math kit Glytch had assembled over the years. It also contained a London Fog longcoat and an umbrella.
Glytch dug through his three packs and set up camp next to the control panel for the portal.
Responding to the several glances in his direction, Glytch shrugged and said "If I'm going to be here for a while, I might as well be comfortable."
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(scanning the coat) You do realize it's summer here, right?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:Glytch watched Greg follow Louis into the Orbital Drop Shock Bathhouse with an uneasy feeling, and tore his eyes away from the door as it shut behind the mismatched pair to focus on the two bags he had brought back from his reality.
One was a large, red, internal-frame backpack with thick shoulder straps, a sturdy hip strap, and a small breastbone strap. He had used this pack during his days as a Boy Scout. Now, it was one of two "bug-out bags" he maintained along with his small red pack he had originally come to the meeting with.
Whereas the small red pack was meant more for day-trip scenarios, the large one was packed with changes of clothes, a mummy-style sleeping bag, an inflatable sleeping pad, a tarp, a coffin tent, a water purifier, camp utensils and cookware, a telescoping metal hiking staff, a disassembled compound hunting now and quiver of arrows, and had snow pants, a winter coat, rain gear, and climbing gear and thick rope tied to the outside with a bunch of paracord.
The second pack contained a laptop, iPad, charging cords, external storage, full-sized notebooks and a drawing, writing, and math kit Glytch had assembled over the years. It also contained a London Fog longcoat and an umbrella.
Glytch dug through his three packs and set up camp next to the control panel for the portal.
Responding to the several glances in his direction, Glytch shrugged and said "If I'm going to be here for a while, I might as well be comfortable."
"Looks like you have a mobile Fibber McGee's Closet there, Gyltch!" called out DWC while balancing the spinning hubcap Frisbee-like on a finger.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:(scanning the coat) You do realize it's summer here, right?
Glytch flipped up a corner of his longcoat to reveal the inner zipper for a lining, then pointed at his large red pack. "Without the warm liner, it's really just a fancy raincoat. My only other option is a PVC plastic camouflage rain jacket... Which as you might guess, doesn't jive well with certain outfits or situations. I keep the liner rolled up and packed in the big one during the warmer months."
Hansontoons wrote:"Looks like you have a mobile Fibber McGee's Closet there, Gyltch!" called out DWC while balancing the spinning hubcap Frisbee-like on a finger.
Glytch typed on his iPad and read something for a few moments before admitting defeat. "Ok...I still don't get that even after I googled 'Fibber McGee'. Sorry. Gonna have to go a bit younger, sir. Radio shows are a bit outside my generation's area of expertise." He glanced at the hubcap. "And how can you do that when your vertigo won't let you pass a field sobriety test?"
I'm too much!
stjen

Post by stjen »

It's 7/20 -- do you know where your new strip is?

(Hopefully very soon now...)
Dave

Post by Dave »

For sufficiently large values of the number 20.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:For sufficiently large values of the number 20.
I think I just heard a math teacher cry out in pain.
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Post by AmriloJim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:35 am
It appears our WS famine may be extended...
On facebook, Paul wrote:Sorry to anyone sending me messages, or trying to contact me through Ebay. I won't have internet until July 22nd and I can't access most things with my crappy phone. Ebay items won will be delayed until then.
End echo

However, Paul did share some new artwork via Instagram and Facebook earlier Sunday evening....
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AH! Thanks for reminding me.

(Goes & downloads Instagram)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dan finally wanders away from the vending machine; he's holding two cans of soda in each hand and one in each hip pocket.
"Check it out, guys - drinks are only a quarter! Weird selection though: RC Cola, Dr. Pepper, Dad's Root Beer, Brisk Iced Tea, 6 different flavours of Faygo, something called 'Slurm' and another something called 'Zgwortz.' Can you....uh..."
His question goes unfinished as he witnesses the weird happenings.
"...what....I....OK, no problem," he says as he sets the cans down upon a table. "I'll just take a few minutes to re-read the past few pages, don't mind me."
So saying, Dan pulls his smartphone out of his t-shirt pocket and starts tapping & scrolling.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)