Went To Bat 2015-06-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Went To Bat 2015-06-23

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

... or gotten into the habit of concealing it at the Orphanage, because if people knew, it might make her less likely to be adopted.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Thinking back, I should have realized we'd see this kind of conclusion-jumping motor-mouthing again. The first time being when she couldn't shut up after finding out about Tina's origins. Especially seeing that we know that Katherine is also a type of Composite Being. Bud's perky intercepting is as much a sudden stop as Monica's bawling out. Being deprived of one of your senses doesn't give you permission to act senselessly.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

So then, Atsali needs some handy-dandy Glammer-ific Emoticon enhanced glasses to wear.

These would have the added benefit of overlaying over the viewed faces a roadmap like enhanced view for the wearer of 'Happy!', 'Sad', ambiguous, thoughtful, etc, etc...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:So then, Atsali needs some handy-dandy Glammer-ific Emoticon enhanced glasses to wear.

These would have the added benefit of overlaying over the viewed faces a roadmap like enhanced view for the wearer of 'Happy!', 'Sad', ambiguous, thoughtful, etc, etc...
I'd suggest a neural-net system, trained to recognize expressions... but these seem to occasionally walk right through the Doors of Perception into trippyspace.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I have to wonder if Bud is showing Atsali what an ass she's being to Jessie... or if Bud heard what just transpired. She's wither right on time to teach Atsali a lesson, or a day late and a dollar short with sorely needed information.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:So then, Atsali needs some handy-dandy Glammer-ific Emoticon enhanced glasses to wear.

This sounds like a job for Calista...

Dave wrote:I'd suggest a neural-net system, trained to recognize expressions... but these seem to occasionally walk right through the Doors of Perception into trippyspace.
Escher would be so proud... :P
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

kingklash wrote:Thinking back, I should have realized we'd see this kind of conclusion-jumping motor-mouthing again. The first time being when she couldn't shut up after finding out about Tina's origins. Especially seeing that we know that Katherine is also a type of Composite Being. Bud's perky intercepting is as much a sudden stop as Monica's bawling out. Being deprived of one of your senses doesn't give you permission to act senselessly.
Even earlier. Flash back to here. If Atsali couldn't read that look...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:I have to wonder if Bud is showing Atsali what an ass she's being to Jessie... or if Bud heard what just transpired. She's wither right on time to teach Atsali a lesson, or a day late and a dollar short with sorely needed information.
The specific information she just conveyed is "fresh"... the telling-off-Mom probably didn't happen more than an hour ago (their time), and maybe less. I'm not sure Bud could have learned of it much faster than she did... and she seems to have gushed to Atsali about it as soon as Atsali had walked away from Jessie and the others-of-her-age. Doesn't seem like there was much if any opportunity for Bud to have Dutch Auntie'd Atsali before the shouting occurred.

This is one Atsali is going to have to learn the hard-and-painful way, I'm afraid. She made a booboo...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

meisdadoo wrote:All of this makes me wonder what Dietzel is up to (literally and figuratively) and where the hell is Tina with my coffee? . . .
<wisper mode ON>

(tina is holding the flashlight for me, in the basement of mucho mocha, as we fine tune a little distillery project we have going...) shhh, don't tell the revenuers...
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Completely offtopic, but since it seems to be the generally accepted style for the young ladies around the pool: When did showing that much underboob become reasonably demure bathing costume?

Admittedly the whole social concept of "bathing costume" that doesn't serve specific function is a bit odd, though I grant that damping resonance and SPF50 sunscreen and keeping sand away from sensitive areas and the "suggestion can draw more attention than exposure" effect are all legitimate functions. (As is "don't unnecessarily freak the mundanes", I regretfully admit.) But it looks like the Waspiverse is using the rule of ""cover ariolae and at least 50% of the total breast surface", and I haven't been exposed to enough swimsuits recently in our world to know if that's become the standard for western culture.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

It seems to be a Pablo style thing. Takes a little getting used to...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

loxmyth wrote:Completely offtopic, but since it seems to be the generally accepted style for the young ladies around the pool: When did showing that much underboob become reasonably demure bathing costume?
this has been a subject of some other posts recently, it seems that the swimsuit that she is wearing was picked out by and possibly even provided by her Aunt Jin... IF it was provided by Jin then there is/was the additional question of whether or not it was made of a "shrink when wet" type of fabric, since it HAS been shrinking with the passage of time and we are only waiting for the inevitable "it shrinks to a G-String and Pasties" type of bikini... THEN she gets thrown out for real... However, if it was her own suit that Jin said to wear, this rather skimpy one rather than the fully-covering, one-piece suit that she would rather have worn, and not having been tampered with otherwise, then i guess we are left with the option of the artist changing his drawing style... and/or forgetting continuity from the first comic he drew her in the suit to this latest one where it it definitely NOT the same surface area of coverage... my point: pay attention to the strap portion that goes from the top of each cup to over the back of the neck in those links... in the first one it's a wide but narrowing down in a wedge shape as it goes over the shoulder. but in the last few strips it is just a spaghetti string from the moment it leaves the top of the cup... THAT'S a continuity error, so it COULD be that way for the other discrepancies in cup coverage as well... we'll only ever know for certain if Paul chimes in on this subject...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

meisdadoo wrote:If it was a siren thing, you'd think it would be more widely known.
First, though, it would take people getting to know sirens rather than just assuming that they already know everything that they need to know about sirens.

Besides, in humans who have that sort of problem even the person who is afflicted often is as surprised as anybody else when they learn that they are missing out on reading expressions. It's not something that is terribly obvious; most people will just assume that the person has a distant or reserved personality, and not pry much beyond that.
A thorn bush that can turn itself into a walking talking little girl--now that is strange
Little kids in general tend to be strange, regardless of how herbaceous they are.
Dave wrote:Which begs the question: when Atsali texts or says OMG. . .
I actually heard a kid say that just the other day. As in, actually spell out the letters in a non-sarcastic way. I'd always just assumed that they only used the abbreviation when typing, and in conversation say the whole phrase. Now I'm just waiting to hear somebody say "ROFL" or "AFK" non-sarcastically in conversation. . .
illiad

Post by illiad »

loxmyth wrote:Completely offtopic, but since it seems to be the generally accepted style for the young ladies around the pool: When did showing that much underboob become reasonably demure bathing costume?

Admittedly the whole social concept of "bathing costume" that doesn't serve specific function is a bit odd, though I grant that damping resonance and SPF50 sunscreen and keeping sand away from sensitive areas and the "suggestion can draw more attention than exposure" effect are all legitimate functions. (As is "don't unnecessarily freak the mundanes", I regretfully admit.) But it looks like the Waspiverse is using the rule of ""cover ariolae and at least 50% of the total breast surface", and I haven't been exposed to enough swimsuits recently in our world to know if that's become the standard for western culture.
"reasonably demure"??? you haven't seen the latest award ceremonies, where many female celebs like trying to expose as much as possible!! :D :twisted:
and a recent concert and YT vid where Nicki Minaj was wearing *nothing* except 'pasties' to cover her well endowed parts!! :twisted: :twisted:

If it was not for the 'decency league' breathing down Paul's back, they would not be wearing tops... :) :)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Lousy, rotten decency league. . . . :cry:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
illiad

Post by illiad »

but then, just like many active men, we have a preference for hypertrophic lobes :) :)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Who is this "Decency League" you speak of? Wapsi isn't a part of those webcomic conglomerates, right? Like hiveworks, keenspot, or whatever.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The Rule of Funny is closely followed by the Rule of Sexy.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

GlytchMeister wrote:Who is this "Decency League" you speak of? Wapsi isn't a part of those webcomic conglomerates, right? Like hiveworks, keenspot, or whatever.
well, the comic is already 'PG-13 to R' - I am guessing that is the maximum for a site that you do not have to sign into as 'over 18'.....
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Artists also have their own personal limitations on what they're comfortable showing.