To Her Face 2012-08-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: To Her Face 2012-08-22

Post by Mark N »

waldosan wrote:why do i get the sense that Monica is staring at Shelly? and not at us.

anyways, woohoo for Gorgon Therapy!
One has to remember that Euryale is many thousands of years old (If you follow the basic info on the Greek Titans and Gods). A being can gain lots of wisdom in that time.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Redheadedcyclone wrote:
zachariah wrote:
As far as trust goes, maybe its the exact opposite. She may need to hear from someone she doesn't trust but knows the situation and individuals involved, and see how the other side thinks. Someone who has, in essence, been in the same situation as her (alone, managing 3 planet-smashers, and constantly feeling weak and inferior around other immortals/supernaturals). And someone she can lash out at and physically vent if she needs to do so without the fear of causing lasting injury to either party.
Hum... someone who has to deal with all sorts of creatures more powerful (or think they are) and their threats and being the low one on the totem pole and always being the weaker and 'inferior'... to help Monica work through dealing with her emotions and fear... and help educate Monica about all the beings she is encountering...

Sounds like Phix...

I think that Monica needs to get back on that horse... or Sphinx, as the case may be... She needs to realize that Phix isn't any different than she was before Monica saw what is a natural part of Phix's life... it's like seeing your cute kitty cat kill and eat a mouse. The cat isn't any different than she was before that. You are the one who's different. Who better to guide Monica through her denial than a being who a) woke her up and b) knows more than almost any other creature EVER.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/monsteriwas/

The thing is, this is abberant behavior for Phix. She's made a conscious effort to reform, which is why she caught so much flak from Seniorita 'Splody Head. Any other day, she would have let the insults roll off. She hasn't killed humans in nearly four thousand years(discounting the resets and assuming she didn't kill after her riddling of Oedipus) 'Splodey Head chose exactly the wrong moment to yank her chain. From her perspective, she had just alienated her grandaughter, the only connection she had to the son she gave up. Then Nudge revealed that Bia played her for her own ends. As fearful as Monica is of Phix, I'm betting our librarian is just as miserable. In one miserable day, she abandoned her four millenia commitment to peace in a fit of rage, alienated her grandaughter and terrified one of her closest friends into leaving the library and her for good.
TheDOCTOR wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else hear Paula Dean when Euryale speaks? At least she hasn't "Deep Fried" any butter or anythang or anywun eylse. :D
I like the Idea of Monica visiting her G'pa. Hes either in a VA home or Arlington perhaps.
There was a lady named Catherine Tucker Windham that used to do commentary on Alabama Public Radio every friday morning. She was from Mobile and of all the Southern accents, a South Alabama accent is the most melodious to my ears. Slow and distinguished and smooth as melting butter. Ms. Windham was a classy lady. She often quoted her father in her commentary. One of my favorites was when she went to do charity work as a young girl with her father and he told her "You are not better than these people, you're just used to nicer things." I hear her when Eyrale speaks, especialy after today's strip.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/monsteriwas/

The thing is, this is abberant behavior for Phix. She's made a conscious effort to reform, which is why she caught so much flak from Seniorita 'Splody Head. Any other day, she would have let the insults roll off. She hasn't killed humans in nearly four thousand years(discounting the resets and assuming she didn't kill after her riddling of Oedipus) 'Splodey Head chose exactly the wrong moment to yank her chain. From her perspective, she had just alienated her grandaughter, the only connection she had to the son she gave up. Then Nudge revealed that Bia played her for her own ends. As fearful as Monica is of Phix, I'm betting our librarian is just as miserable. In one miserable day, she abandoned her four millenia commitment to peace in a fit of rage, alienated her grandaughter and terrified one of her closest friends into leaving the library and her for good.
I have been thinking about it and if you really want to get into the meat of why she went all feral on 'Seniorita 'Splody Head' is she had realized hat she not only was tricked by Bia into giving up a son that Bia would secretly marry and abandon just to have a grand daughter that would be killed in a time forest over and over again by the one that was awakened to her potential. It is the fact that she did it 57 times and just came to realize the truth.
Thinking about it even more, Bia may have been using the resets to refine a way to produce an immortal granddaughter. I just bet that all of the other Shelly's were totally mortal since only the current one had died and produced her companion, which would also mean that all of Shelly's brothers are mortals (albeit unusually strong mortals). I think I am over thinking this huh? :idea:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:I think I am over thinking this huh? :idea:
Time loops, alternate probabilities, and interwoven world-lines will do that to you :?

There's a lot we don't know about what Bia has done, why she did it, how her manipulations interacted with the CM loops, and what roles the various characters played in the earlier iterations of 1500 years of history. It's possible that even Bia has been manipulated, by some other character(s) in the shadows.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Atomic wrote:Porcys? Porkys?? Porky's??? Good lord -- if that bunch from Angel Beach High school is going to invade this strip....
Who says they haven't already. Phix would make a perfect Balbricker.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Redheadedcyclone wrote:
zachariah wrote:
As far as trust goes, maybe its the exact opposite. She may need to hear from someone she doesn't trust but knows the situation and individuals involved, and see how the other side thinks. Someone who has, in essence, been in the same situation as her (alone, managing 3 planet-smashers, and constantly feeling weak and inferior around other immortals/supernaturals). And someone she can lash out at and physically vent if she needs to do so without the fear of causing lasting injury to either party.
Hum... someone who has to deal with all sorts of creatures more powerful (or think they are) and their threats and being the low one on the totem pole and always being the weaker and 'inferior'... to help Monica work through dealing with her emotions and fear... and help educate Monica about all the beings she is encountering...

Sounds like Phix...

I think that Monica needs to get back on that horse... or Sphinx, as the case may be... She needs to realize that Phix isn't any different than she was before Monica saw what is a natural part of Phix's life... it's like seeing your cute kitty cat kill and eat a mouse. The cat isn't any different than she was before that. You are the one who's different. Who better to guide Monica through her denial than a being who a) woke her up and b) knows more than almost any other creature EVER.
The big problem is.. In RL, there are many people who cannot do certain things.. being badly mauled by a very good friends dog, that they trusted.. meaning they will not go anywhere near that type of dog, or even their friends house... It may be easy enough to recover from that with therapy, but what if you ventured into a friends house, and saw them clearly munching on human remains?? .. and when you got out, no-one believed you??? (or even said, oh thats ok, he's a nice person really :roll: )... :shock: :shock:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Scary Gorgon is Very Scary.

The only appropriate response to Panel One is "Yes'm"-and-trot-your-cute-little-butt-over-to-Shelly-and-rebuild-your-friendship.

So what's tomorrow?

Sexy Librarian Phix showing up in a Very Skimpy bikini? (At Nudge's ... ummm ... nudging?)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Mark N wrote:I have been thinking about it and if you really want to get into the meat of why she went all feral on 'Seniorita 'Splody Head' is she had realized hat she not only was tricked by Bia into giving up a son that Bia would secretly marry and abandon just to have a grand daughter that would be killed in a time forest over and over again by the one that was awakened to her potential. It is the fact that she did it 57 times and just came to realize the truth.
Thinking about it even more, Bia may have been using the resets to refine a way to produce an immortal granddaughter. I just bet that all of the other Shelly's were totally mortal since only the current one had died and produced her companion, which would also mean that all of Shelly's brothers are mortals (albeit unusually strong mortals). I think I am over thinking this huh? :idea:
Well, we don't really know she killed any of the other Shellys besides the last (actually the first). After all, the only time the plutonium would have been extracted from the tree would be in that one cycle. Even then she did not kill that Shelly, she simply allowed her to be killed. Not quite the same as what Phix just did. All the others could have died of old age. Compared to the length of a cycle, that would have been just a blip each time.

You're probably right on the other Shellys being mortal, but Shelly's brothers of the last cycle (the current one, which, technically, is not over yet) would have still been human/Titan/sphinx crossbreeds since Bia would have been their mother and Phix their granny. They just won't become a sphinx. Nonetheless, being such hybrids could mean they are still endowed with extraordinary powers and even longevity. Shellys dad may be as well, being Phix's son. Many unknowns as yet concerning the males involved. The brothers could even produce sphinxes with the right mating.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.