To Her Face 2012-08-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: To Her Face 2012-08-22

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:
BikerScum wrote:Somebody remind me - do we know who Euryale's dad is?
If Paul follows the mythology, it's Phorcys, a primordial sea-god.
Porcys? Porkys?? Porky's??? Good lord -- if that bunch from Angel Beach High school is going to invade this strip....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Is it just me or does anyone else hear Paula Dean when Euryale speaks? At least she hasn't "Deep Fried" any butter or anythang or anywun eylse. :D
I like the Idea of Monica visiting her G'pa. Hes either in a VA home or Arlington perhaps.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else hear Paula Dean when Euryale speaks? At least she hasn't "Deep Fried" any butter or anythang or anywun eylse. :D
I like the Idea of Monica visiting her G'pa. Hes either in a VA home or Arlington perhaps.
He lives forever in the hearts of the patron's of Sally's Bar....

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/02152002/

And the story arc behind it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Boxilar wrote:Paul, line three, panel one, is that "at" supposed to be a "ta"?

Didn't expect Erayle to jump on this that fast, but I'm glad to see she did.
There's an "at" where I think there should be a "ta" in line five of the second panel, too...wasn't going to say anything, but you pointed one of them out, so I don't feel so bad. :P

And I agree with you...I didn't think Euryale was the one who would be the first to lecture Monica. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though...she's lashed out at M before (and recently at that). Though I suppose the freezing was accidental, the "Listen to me you fool!" kind of outburst was pretty on point. I guess we tend to forget her temper because she's so sunny. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else hear Paula Dean when Euryale speaks? At least she hasn't "Deep Fried" any butter or anythang or anywun eylse. :D
Actually I hear a very different voice. In the old movie Auntie Mame (starring Rosalind Russell) there was a scene where she was visiting the family home of a man she loved (Beauregard Burnside) and was going to participate in a hunt...there was a woman there who wasn't overly impressed with Mame (it's been a while since I've actually seen the full film, so I can't remember if she outright disliked Mame). I hear her voice every time Euryale speaks...only less "fake nice" sounding. :)
"Just open your eyes
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Julie wrote:
Actually I hear a very different voice. In the old movie Auntie Mame (starring Rosalind Russell) there was a scene where she was visiting the family home of a man she loved (Beauregard Burnside) and was going to participate in a hunt...there was a woman there who wasn't overly impressed with Mame (it's been a while since I've actually seen the full film, so I can't remember if she outright disliked Mame). I hear her voice every time Euryale speaks...only less "fake nice" sounding. :)
I hear a cross between Scarlet O'Hara and Dolly Parton... :lol:
(Specifically, the tone and inflections of Scarlet O'Hara, and the cheerfulness and honest talk of Dolly Parton... Something like that, anyway...)
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Well, heck little missy, what in tarnation is this trash talk about....now you listen here young lady, go up right there and talk with y'or fra'nd and make peace. She ain't done a thing to a single hair on that purty little head of yu'rs.

I keep loving Euryeale every day :D
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Julie wrote:And I agree with you...I didn't think Euryale was the one who would be the first to lecture Monica. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though...she's lashed out at M before (and recently at that). Though I suppose the freezing was accidental, the "Listen to me you fool!" kind of outburst was pretty on point. I guess we tend to forget her temper because she's so sunny. :)
We also tend forget she's a fan of Monica & Shelly--like us! She doesn't have to yell at the TV, she's in the show!

Protecting M from her own ignorance is one thing; that's standard guardianship. Fan shaming is only appropriate when characters are making decisions that are totally out of place--but Euryale's on good ground to wield it today. "Don' make me brang mah angry face! Ya ain't even seen mah angry face!" :oops: :evil:
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

A tongue lashing is as a tongue lashing does... Let's hope Mon bounces back as easily as she gets unfrozen...
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Mah name is Euryale, Euryale Gorgon.... mah momma always said life is like a box of choc'lates.... you never know when am gonna freeze you....
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:
BikerScum wrote:Somebody remind me - do we know who Euryale's dad is?
According to the Wikipedia, Phorcys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorcys). The god of 'hidden dangers of the deep'. Stinky may be one of his pets...
"Slap tha taste outa mah mouth," eh? Sounds like a disciplinarian, but there's archaeological evidence he was a thoughtful parent too.

Here he is with Ceto bringing home a Happy Meal for the kids:

http://mythologica.fr/grec/phorcys.htm

So lighten up, Monica! Not every meal with Shelly is going to have to include raw sphinx.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

I read Eurale's last word as "Landsnakes!" I thought it was an interesting take on the usual South'rn exclamation. I still think it would be a good variation for a Medusa.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Julie wrote:
I hear a cross between Scarlet O'Hara and Dolly Parton... :lol:
(Specifically, the tone and inflections of Scarlet O'Hara, and the cheerfulness and honest talk of Dolly Parton... Something like that, anyway...)
I'm using this conversation to post this, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&p=1789#p1789
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
donoho

Post by donoho »

Jabberwonky wrote:

Nice. Everytime someone posts a link from this far back I end up losing an hour+ rereading. Never gets old.
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

donoho wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Nice. Everytime someone posts a link from this far back I end up losing an hour+ rereading. Never gets old.

Paul posted this on his Facebook too :D so I guess we all suffer from the same disease.
Julie

Post by Julie »

MrFireDragon wrote:Image

Paul posted this on his Facebook too :D so I guess we all suffer from the same disease.
It's because this is Truth. :)
"Just open your eyes
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Well, now. It looks like the Gorgeous Gorgon is superbly settling into her new niche as advising admirer. Her perspective is from an outside POV, even as a fan of Moni & Co., so she isn't as involved as nearly everyone else in this chicken outfit. Monica better pay attention. In my experience, when a Southern Girl lets you have it with both barrels, don't be surprised that her daddy taught her to use a gun like she means it.
Redheadedcyclone

Post by Redheadedcyclone »

zachariah wrote:
As far as trust goes, maybe its the exact opposite. She may need to hear from someone she doesn't trust but knows the situation and individuals involved, and see how the other side thinks. Someone who has, in essence, been in the same situation as her (alone, managing 3 planet-smashers, and constantly feeling weak and inferior around other immortals/supernaturals). And someone she can lash out at and physically vent if she needs to do so without the fear of causing lasting injury to either party.
Hum... someone who has to deal with all sorts of creatures more powerful (or think they are) and their threats and being the low one on the totem pole and always being the weaker and 'inferior'... to help Monica work through dealing with her emotions and fear... and help educate Monica about all the beings she is encountering...

Sounds like Phix...

I think that Monica needs to get back on that horse... or Sphinx, as the case may be... She needs to realize that Phix isn't any different than she was before Monica saw what is a natural part of Phix's life... it's like seeing your cute kitty cat kill and eat a mouse. The cat isn't any different than she was before that. You are the one who's different. Who better to guide Monica through her denial than a being who a) woke her up and b) knows more than almost any other creature EVER.
The Universe is not Vindictive.

I subscribe to the A.A. Milne School of Capitalization. If it is an Important Idea, then it should be Capitalized.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Redheadedcyclone wrote: She needs to realize that Phix isn't any different than she was before Monica saw what is a natural part of Phix's life... it's like seeing your cute kitty cat kill and eat a mouse. The cat isn't any different than she was before that. You are the one who's different. Who better to guide Monica through her denial than a being who a) woke her up and b) knows more than almost any other creature EVER.
Now that is the mental image I was looking for. This is why Euryale is a great person to make her see and accept the truth since she has iced her twice. She accepts Euryale as safe because she can reverse her effect and Phix and Shelly can't since their effect is shredded death.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

why do i get the sense that Monica is staring at Shelly? and not at us.

anyways, woohoo for Gorgon Therapy!