Just Like Us 2015-06-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Just Like Us 2015-06-15

Post by Thor »

LINKERY

Everyone in a 10-block area? Prove it.

There's a few people there I think you might have trouble with.
Opus the Poet

Re: Just Like Us 2015-06-15

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well for certain values of "everyone" where "everyone" = human, that is a true statement. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Devyn just came down with a case of common sense complicated by a boost of self-esteem- if she develops reasonable levels of logic, the world as we know it is in SERIOUS threat ... of becoming that much better...

... and no girl, you don't gotta prove nuthin'...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jessie G needs to talk about how flabbergasted she was when she found out the shy nerd-bird was that well-connected. Atsali is not typical anything. Even her baby sister in one of a kind.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

OK -- from PW: (Left to Right)
  • Abbie - Familiar (dog)
    Alexis - Auloniad (Nymph)
    Devyn - Helead
    Mallory - Amphiptere
So Alexis and Devyn are super-powered? Or rather, their powers can be extremely toxic to humans?

The nymphs in general are powerful agents of natural forces, so they can do great healing or damage, if I'm following the origin tales properly.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Now I need some popcorn.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

No, Twilight. We do not need them to prove how efficiently they can kill everyone in the immediate vicinity.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Wow! Devyn actually learned from her encounter with Atsali! Nice. Enough so to make a parallel between how they viewed Atsali and how they themselves are. Even nicer.

"All she had to do" to get there, was to get over her fear and awe of Atsali. No biggie... ;)

I am still curious to know whether the situation is now completely defused or not, as it concerns Mother-Tuna... I guess time will tell. We're busy with another plot line, at the moment...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some. Now that everything is nice and peaceful all the aunts got to do is slip next to tuna mama and tell her of she trys to rock the boat again someone is gonna be having tuna fish salad and no one will ever be the wiser, understand?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some. Now that everything is nice and peaceful all the aunts got to do is slip next to tuna mama and tell her of she trys to rock the boat again someone is gonna be having tuna fish salad and no one will ever be the wiser, understand?
yeah that threat works better than the one i had in mind...

[accent="James Cagney"] Don't rock the boat, or you'll be sleepin' wit' da Fishes, see?!"{/accent]

seeing as how Mom is a Mermaid, that doesn't really work, ya' know?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Atomic wrote:OK -- from PW: (Left to Right)
  • Abbie - Familiar (dog)
    Devyn - Helead
    Mallory - Amphiptere
So Alexis and Devyn are super-powered? Or rather, their powers can be extremely toxic to humans?

The nymphs in general are powerful agents of natural forces, so they can do great healing or damage, if I'm following the origin tales properly.
Oh, I was guessing that they're daughters of the Erinyes. One of the three whose name we have is Alecto/Alekto. The other two are Megaera, and Tisiphone or Tilphousia.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:OK -- from PW: (Left to Right)
  • Abbie - Familiar (dog)
    Devyn - Helead
    Mallory - Amphiptere

I cant find any reference to a Helead. Can you please tell me what it is??
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some.
I'm sure you're right.

Those who are at least a block away would surely have time to flee, before being more than lightly wounded. There are probably a few who would only be gravely inconvenienced... y'know, it's soooo hard to find a really good personal trainer these days, and this is the second time this month that something's ripped the resort's entire on-duty staff into bloody shreds.
Mark N wrote:I cant find any reference to a Helead. Can you please tell me what it is??
Somebody tracked down the term as meaning "a nymph of the fen."

So, if a Dryad is a tree lady, a Helead is a marsh miss.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

The statement in panel two is almost like she's regurgitating a rumor she's heard... and trying to equivocate why the rumor is true and not the reality of the situation. Would be cool to see Atsali come up behind her (which would explain the doe eye'd look Devyn has in Panel three) and calmly say: Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see and you'll be okay..." Then we'd all be treated to tall dark and mouthy squeaking like a church mouse... hehe
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

scantrontb wrote:yeah that threat works better than the one i had in mind...

[accent="James Cagney"] Don't rock the boat, or you'll be sleepin' wit' da Fishes, see?!"{/accent]

With mermaids' reputation for being able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose that almost sounds like a reward.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
BlackFulcrum

Post by BlackFulcrum »

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:I cant find any reference to a Helead. Can you please tell me what it is??
Somebody tracked down the term as meaning "a nymph of the fen."

So, if a Dryad is a tree lady, a Helead is a marsh miss.
Actually the spelling in PW's original FB post is wrong or different from the ones I've seen, the correct one would be, Haliae, Haliead, or Haliaedes, aka Sea Nymphs (as can be seen here: http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/Haliai.html )

One of the most well known Haliae is Amphitrite, the wife of Poseidon, which fits with Devyn, if one of her parents is Amphitrite's sibling then Poseidon would be her uncle.

Also Alexis as an Auloniad, or Auloniades, aka a Pasture Nymph (note this refers to mountain pastures and vales), would be of similar power level to Devyn.
illiad

Post by illiad »

scantrontb wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some. Now that everything is nice and peaceful all the aunts got to do is slip next to tuna mama and tell her of she trys to rock the boat again someone is gonna be having tuna fish salad and no one will ever be the wiser, understand?
yeah that threat works better than the one i had in mind...

A of rephrasing... :)
"Don't rock the boat, or you'll be deep fried wit' da Fishes, see?! :lol: "
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

For teens and Tweens to have that responsible attitude for their powers
implies Pickel will be getting similar training soon.

It's overdue as seen by the Cricket incident.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

oldmanmickey wrote:... no one will ever be the wiser, capiche?
FTFY
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.