Just Like Us 2015-06-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
eee

Re: Just Like Us 2015-06-15

Post by eee »

Dave wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some.
I'm sure you're right.

Those who are at least a block away would surely have time to flee, before being more than lightly wounded. There are probably a few who would only be gravely inconvenienced... y'know, it's soooo hard to find a really good personal trainer these days, and this is the second time this month that something's ripped the resort's entire on-duty staff into bloody shreds.
Poseidon was the god of earthquakes. Devyn might be able to drop a 10 block area a hundred feet into the earth. Only Bud and those capable of flight or teleportation would be able to survive that...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

scantrontb wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some. Now that everything is nice and peaceful all the aunts got to do is slip next to tuna mama and tell her of she trys to rock the boat again someone is gonna be having tuna fish salad and no one will ever be the wiser, understand?
yeah that threat works better than the one i had in mind...

[accent="James Cagney"] Don't rock the boat, or you'll be sleepin' wit' da Fishes, see?!"{/accent]

seeing as how Mom is a Mermaid, that doesn't really work, ya' know?
Hey you may be onto something here. That may be why grandpa split. He was afraid to sleep wit da fishes.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Brasten

Post by Brasten »

I would argue that Atsali is the bigger dork. ;)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

eee wrote:
Dave wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Them killing everyone in a 10 block area is simply teen bragging to prove a point. Never met a teen yet that didnt exaggerate some.
I'm sure you're right.

Those who are at least a block away would surely have time to flee, before being more than lightly wounded. There are probably a few who would only be gravely inconvenienced... y'know, it's soooo hard to find a really good personal trainer these days, and this is the second time this month that something's ripped the resort's entire on-duty staff into bloody shreds.
Poseidon was the god of earthquakes. Devyn might be able to drop a 10 block area a hundred feet into the earth. Only Bud and those capable of flight or teleportation would be able to survive that...
Or those that are immortal (M), or a plant (P), or ... need i go on? Kill a whole lot of folks, yea. Kill everyone in a 10 block area, i am not even sure a direct hit by the Tsar Bomba would do that to some of these folks.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:So, if a Dryad is a tree lady, a Helead is a marsh miss.
The Heleads moved to Minneapolis because their home burned down, fell over, and sank into the swamp.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

BlackFulcrum wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:I cant find any reference to a Helead. Can you please tell me what it is??
Somebody tracked down the term as meaning "a nymph of the fen."

So, if a Dryad is a tree lady, a Helead is a marsh miss.
Actually the spelling in PW's original FB post is wrong or different from the ones I've seen, the correct one would be, Haliae, Haliead, or Haliaedes, aka Sea Nymphs (as can be seen here: http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/Haliai.html )

One of the most well known Haliae is Amphitrite, the wife of Poseidon, which fits with Devyn, if one of her parents is Amphitrite's sibling then Poseidon would be her uncle.

Also Alexis as an Auloniad, or Auloniades, aka a Pasture Nymph (note this refers to mountain pastures and vales), would be of similar power level to Devyn.
The NYMPHS are female spirits of nature, who though living many years are nevertheless bound to die; some talk however as if they were immortal. Different kinds can be distinguished: OREADS (Mountain Nymphs), DRYADS (Nymphs of the Oak), HAMADRYADS (Tree-Nymphs), NAIADS (Water Nymphs), HYDRIADS (Water Nymphs), MELIADS (Nymphs of the Ash-trees), HELEADS (Nymphs of the Fen), EPIMELIADS (Nymphs protectors of sheep).

As per: http://www.maicar.com/GML/NYMPHS.html
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jayessell wrote:For teens and Tweens to have that responsible attitude for their powers
implies Pickel will be getting similar training soon.

It's overdue as seen by the Cricket incident.
And Corn Husk Maiden vs the Tank Zombie...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wapsi wrote:The NYMPHS are female spirits of nature, who though living many years are nevertheless bound to die; some talk however as if they were immortal. Different kinds can be distinguished: OREADS (Mountain Nymphs), DRYADS (Nymphs of the Oak), HAMADRYADS (Tree-Nymphs), NAIADS (Water Nymphs), HYDRIADS (Water Nymphs), MELIADS (Nymphs of the Ash-trees), HELEADS (Nymphs of the Fen), EPIMELIADS (Nymphs protectors of sheep).

A good reference, thanks!

From what I've seen, the question of the "correct spelling" of a name or term carried over from one language to another is usually a moot point... at best, the "correct" spelling is a matter of current popular convention. For terms this old, even the "classic" references are likely to offer up two or more terms, spellings, pronunciations, or variations.

For one thing, the ancient world had a lot of different languages, and (within the major ones such as Greek and Latin) numerous regional dialects and accents. There were probably a half-dozen popular terms for the same Beings in use across what is now Greece, at any given moment.

For another thing, different languages don't divide up spoken sound into specific letters in the same way English does. Often, there is no single "correct" mapping possible between two languages 'cause the letters don't line up. I've seen at least three widely published English spellings for the name of the late, unlamented former dictator of Lybia.

For yet another thing, most languages (emphatically including English) have undergone several major shifts in pronunciation over the centuries, with the actual spoken sounds of vowels and even some consonants sliding around on the plate like greased marbles.

So, "Helead" vs. "Haliead" is "potayto" vs. "potahtoe".

We now exit from Pedantic Mode, and return you to your regularly scheduled Wapsi storyline.
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

Gyrrakavian wrote: Oh, I was guessing that they're daughters of the Erinyes. One of the three whose name we have is Alecto/Alekto. The other two are Megaera, and Tisiphone or Tilphousia.
Ye gods- the Furies reproducing. "Aw, look- the three utterly mad, self-propelled neutron bombs had babies! Squeee!", no one would ever say. Ever.
I wonder if Nemesis made it to the baby showers...

Let us not forget they might not be Mediterranean myth-analogues at all. (**Edit**) I realize Derringer Devyn is Posey's niece, but I'm a monkey's uncle, so that doesn't mean much. Also- Poseidon= huge slut. Fathered a winged horse this one time at band camp.**
Hell, maybe they're partial-Jotun descendants of Loki and his handsome, leggy stud .. OK- I went pretty gross there. Scratch that, execute brain-bleach now.

Basilisks!

Chlorine-breathing CyberHarpies!

Discworld swamp dragons!
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

tophoo wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Oh, I was guessing that they're daughters of the Erinyes. One of the three whose name we have is Alecto/Alekto. The other two are Megaera, and Tisiphone or Tilphousia.
Ye gods- the Furies reproducing. "Aw, look- the three utterly mad, self-propelled neutron bombs had babies! Squeee!", no one would ever say. Ever.
I wonder if Nemesis made it to the baby showers...

Let us not forget they might not be Mediterranean myth-analogues at all. (**Edit**) I realize Derringer Devyn is Posey's niece, but I'm a monkey's uncle, so that doesn't mean much. Also- Poseidon= huge slut. Fathered a winged horse this one time at band camp.**
Hell, maybe they're partial-Jotun descendants of Loki and his handsome, leggy stud .. OK- I went pretty gross there. Scratch that, execute brain-bleach now.

Basilisks!

Chlorine-breathing CyberHarpies!

Discworld swamp dragons!
A bit small for Jotunkin. Unless they've got some nisse (sp?) or tomte blood in there, too.

Maybe they're descended from one of the myriad of incredibly dangerous/powerful horned serpents from various Native American legends. Perhaps Tiamat (not the one from D&D). Maybe "Big Daddy Seidon" got it on with Echidna and got twins.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

tophoo wrote:Also- Poseidon= huge slut. Fathered a winged horse this one time at band camp.
"And that's how Equestria was made."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

tophoo...
BlackFulcrum

Post by BlackFulcrum »

Wapsi wrote:
BlackFulcrum wrote:Actually the spelling in PW's original FB post is wrong or different from the ones I've seen, the correct one would be, Haliae, Haliead, or Haliaedes, aka Sea Nymphs (as can be seen here: http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/Haliai.html )

One of the most well known Haliae is Amphitrite, the wife of Poseidon, which fits with Devyn, if one of her parents is Amphitrite's sibling then Poseidon would be her uncle.

Also Alexis as an Auloniad, or Auloniades, aka a Pasture Nymph (note this refers to mountain pastures and vales), would be of similar power level to Devyn.
The NYMPHS are female spirits of nature, who though living many years are nevertheless bound to die; some talk however as if they were immortal. Different kinds can be distinguished: OREADS (Mountain Nymphs), DRYADS (Nymphs of the Oak), HAMADRYADS (Tree-Nymphs), NAIADS (Water Nymphs), HYDRIADS (Water Nymphs), MELIADS (Nymphs of the Ash-trees), HELEADS (Nymphs of the Fen), EPIMELIADS (Nymphs protectors of sheep).

I blame this one squarely on Google, I typed in a dozen different versions of Helead, including the usual exact word search "heleads", only giving me a response of versions of "he leads", even with the exact word search it gave me five websites that asked if I erroneously combined two words.....

I really thought I found it by going through the nymph page on Wikipedia, which has no Heleads reference but did have the Heliaedes name, but no page for it, threw that into Google, got the page back that I linked, turns out this is just an all encompassing name for Sea nymphs in general, before the distinction between Nereids and other sea nymphs is made.

Also, don't use that site I linked for reference, ever, it has more then a few errors in it, I just found that it says that Auloniads (Nymphs of the Pasture) are the nymphs of the glens, which to nearly every other source is wrong, as Alseids are Nymphs of the Glens and Groves.
So ya, maybe not just Google is in the wrong, maybe also me not cross referencing my sources correctly (or at all)

Thanks for correcting my error there Paul.
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

TazManiac wrote:tophoo...
er.. yes, dear?

I'm unclear on whether that was exasperation, a warning, or a stunned murmur of awe at my creative magnificence..
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

tophoo wrote:
er.. yes, dear?

I'm unclear on whether that was exasperation, a warning, or a stunned murmur of awe at my creative magnificence..
yes. maybe.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

have you heard the meme that 'the web is wrong' ???? :P :D Sooo many people 'just believe' what they get there, that when someone gets a spelling wrong, it then re-appears in many other places!!! yes, even in higher journals, and even put into print in many newspapers!!!

I dont believe things myself, unless it is in at least 3 different places....
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

tophoo wrote:
er.. yes, dear?

Yes. But in reverse order. :P