Everyone Will Want Some 2015-06-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Brasten

Re: Everyone Will Want Some 2015-06-08

Post by Brasten »

Devyn's like a Weeping Angel. She completely locks up while under direct observation of her idol. The second Atsali turned around and wasn't making eye contact, *blip*, all good.

Hypothesis: To feel more relaxed Devyn subconsciously tried picturing Atsali in her underwear (as the public speaking trick is supposed to go) every time they directly interacted. Because Atsali is a Siren-Incubus, and in a very revealing bathing suit (which is almost less than underwear), Devyn's brain broke at the subconscious level while trying to create this mental image. A kind of neurological division by 0.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Speaking of mothers, though... I wonder what would happen if Ms. Gotlieb, her own crazy/evil mother who is yet to be named, and Thymbris ever happened to end up in the same room at the same time? Would having three such powerful nodes of Bad Mothering in close proximity trigger some sort of disasterous singularity, or would the inherent balance of the Universe kick in to save us all by summoning the spirit of June Cleaver as compensation, or what?
I wouldn't put Thymbris in with the same lot as Mother-Tuna and Grandmother-Tuna. Thymbris is only a bad mother by virtue of being a dimwit... she's not trying to be evil, she's not selfish (that we know of), and she most likely tries hard to do right... except when she forgets something, or is distracted (by, say, an "innocent-looking" switch on a wall... ;) )
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Speaking of mothers, though... I wonder what would happen if Ms. Gotlieb, her own crazy/evil mother who is yet to be named, and Thymbris ever happened to end up in the same room at the same time? Would having three such powerful nodes of Bad Mothering in close proximity trigger some sort of disasterous singularity, or would the inherent balance of the Universe kick in to save us all by summoning the spirit of June Cleaver as compensation, or what?
... you are playing with the social equvelant of critical mass. The possibilities frighten and yet entice me.... I think I need my meds...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What I'd be worried about would be if Bia ever met the Gotliebs.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

With Devyn's head caught in a torque
That Jessie then tried to uncork
Atsali spoke up
and woke the girl up
(It appears she is fluent in 'Dork')

Now Jessie's mind just hit the skid
and she quite close to flipping her lid
at the easy impart
of Atsalie's remark
to restore function to this young kid

Bravo Base, this is Bravo Charley--- Big Bird just averted a meltdown on Recon's Part. Excellent bomb disposal skills demonstarted. Little Tuna seems to have gone cranial flatline for the moment, but will recover... I hope... Mother Tuna is still stewing in her own sauce, perhaps we ought to turn her and check if she's done... maybe rub a little lemon juice on her... our heavies are still standing by, but giggleing like idiots. Management has placed a 'help wanted' sign out front, over
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:Ha! Gotta love paranormal logic: "Don't get flies in your mouth... you'll make the others jealous!" :lol:
an epicure dining at crewe
found a rather large mouse in his stew
said the waiter "don't shout
"and wave it about
"or the others will all want one, too."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

jwhouk wrote:What I'd be worried about would be if Bia ever met the Gotliebs.
Bia: "Was I ever this big of a bitch?"
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

So, who is going to come over and snap Jessie out of it?
eee wrote:I would suspect someone pulled that line on Atsali once when SHE was standing around out-mouthed, and she never forgot it. And how she's had the chance to pass it on...
Or she read it in a book, and has been waiting years for a chance to use it.
Dave wrote:Atsali did just demonstrate a skill of social grace and coolness which has everything to do with who she is, and nothing to do with the celebrity status of the high-powered paras that she happens to know (and be related to). Dork-language or otherwise, I think that's what startled Jessie... the padawan just surpassed the master.
Though given that our first meeting with Jessie involved Atsali also defusing an awkward social situation just by being who she is, I'd think that Jessie would start to realise the trend.
lake_wrangler wrote:Ha! Gotta love paranormal logic: "Don't get flies in your mouth... you'll make the others jealous!" :lol:
They're almost as good as fried spiders!
lake_wrangler wrote:Thymbris is only a bad mother by virtue of being a dimwit...
I haven't really seen anything that truly shows that she's been a bad mother at all. Her children seem to be good people and, aside from Tsillah's occasional social lapses, fairly competent. And the family seems close.

Now, Shelly's mother, on the other hand. . .
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I wonder what kind of fly leave a taste that doesn't make paras want to heave?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I wonder what kind of fly leave a taste that doesn't make paras want to heave?
Shelly and Phix eat fresh raw meat that amounts to cannabalizm. Mermaids have a reputation of eating human flesh, as do sirenes and harpies. Werewolves are not known to be fussy, and vampires drink blood from dead bodies...

... and they would gag on a fly?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:I wonder what kind of fly leave a taste that doesn't make paras want to heave?
Shelly and Phix eat fresh raw meat that amounts to cannabalizm. Mermaids have a reputation of eating human flesh, as do sirenes and harpies. Werewolves are not known to be fussy, and vampires drink blood from dead bodies...

♫ I don't know why she swallowed a fly...
Perhaps she'll die! ♫
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote:So, who is going to come over and snap Jessie out of it?
Only one person could do that.

Jin.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

♫ I don't know why she swallowed a fly...
Perhaps she'll die! ♫
Beat me to it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote:
Catawampus wrote:So, who is going to come over and snap Jessie out of it?
Only one person could do that.

Jin.
And who will help Jessie recover from Jin?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now is when Castela should do her thing. If Jess is her sister's friend, then she'll be friends with her, according to kid logic. She's buddies with the Cubs, and the Bug. Why not a fish? Unless there's a merkid in her class. But who can resist her joy and wonder?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

kingklash wrote:If Jess is her sister's friend, then she'll be friends with her, according to kid logic.
I think that she's quite willing to be friends with anybody who isn't a Fae or outright hostile.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

the Tumbley-weed is currently doing a slow circuit of the pool in Sargasso Mode...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Thymbris is only a bad mother by virtue of being a dimwit...
I haven't really seen anything that truly shows that she's been a bad mother at all. Her children seem to be good people and, aside from Tsillah's occasional social lapses, fairly competent. And the family seems close.

Now, Shelly's mother, on the other hand. . .
I guess I should have qualified my statement a bit more... I was trying to say that she is not a bad mother, on the level of Mother-Tuna or Grandmother-Tuna, but that if one were to think of her as a "bad" mother, it could only be on account of being a dimwit, leaving herself open to the possibility of making mistakes on account of that. That's why I don't think she should be grouped with the other two.

In fact, I don't think she's a bad mother at all. She means well, she does try to do best for her kids (even if it's inconvenient for them, such as a lava bath followed by a bronze brush scrub...) True, she makes mistakes, due to being "somewhat" absent-minded ( ;) ), but that does not make her bad per se. Certainly not on par with Mother-Tuna and Grandmother-Tuna...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I think I'm going to use that line;

"I'm Twenty Percent Cooler than you ever thought I could be..."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It is now also the name of the first "storyline" of the new volume of Wapsi Square!