My Friend 2015-06-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wdot

Re: My Friend 2015-06-02

Post by Wdot »

I'm putting my guess in for Devyn being a Jörmungandr, because a Midguard serpent going "squeak" would be too funny.
I'm glad to see Jesse refer to Atsali as her friend, too, which lets a certain honey talking gorgon say "I told ya so, honey."
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
... isn't that the little 3 cylinder Italian ragtop that came out in the 60's? Come to think of it, they squeaked as well...
That 500CC engine had FOUR cylinders thankyewverramuch. And if yours squeaked someone must have neglected to grease the suspension bushings that week (lovely car to drive, but terrible design from the required PM standpoint, having to grease 22 pivot points weekly was a major pain, especially since you could only get to 8 of them without using a lift)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Akeche wrote:And lastly... Let's say that Phix, or Shelly... or Monica turns Mrs. Gotlieb into tuna salad. How do you think Jessie would react? How do you think Devyn, or the rest of the IBTC would react? The rest of the school? Atsali would have to live with everyone being terrified of her for the rest of her young life. "Don't do anything to upset, annoy, or make her mad! Her Aunt's will horribly murder you if you do!"
The very idea is why (and how) Jessie will talk her mother down, even after appeals to friendship and don't-be-a-bitch have failed: Jessie knows, and for all she disapproves of her mother, she still doesn't want her gutted.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

People are getting a little to exited. No one is talking about physical violence. Any "chewing up" or "gutting" is going to be verbal, or political. And, with this crowd, it will be subtle. (OK, Bud is lacking a bit in subtle. Subtle like a super-battleship barrage. But, they finally got her to ware a bikini at the beach, so that's something.)

And, no matter how this part is resolved, for Jessie's Mom, it will be on like Donkey Kong. She will make it her job to... what ever she ends up doing, to who ever it is she targets. And, she may be more subtle in this than most of you are thinking. She may know that, while Atsali has "royal" patrons, she is an adopted orphan, and "not deserving" (her opinion) of the status she has acquired. Or, maybe she is "Old Titan", and has a dislike for "New Titan's". In any case, she is justifying this as for her daughters "own good", because for reasons.
eee

Post by eee »

jwhouk wrote:Fourth - Now we know what Beatrice Chatham looks like in the WapsiVerse...

EDIT: For those who don't get the reference...
Hanners' mom would look better. And act more effectively. No French flunkies for HER, she'd use ninjas. Or government agents. :shock:
Akeche wrote:Well this is somewhat disappointing, and the general reactions here only reinforce that for me.

Once again a problem will be swept away thanks to powerful relatives, and that if I'm perfectly honest is boring as hell. Mind we don't know how much sway Mrs. Gotlieb actually has, the lot of you may just be underestimating her and overestimating Atsali's Auntie Posse. But that probably won't be the case.
It may be you who is underestimating Ms. Gottlieb. Once she sees who's on Atsali's side - I mean, we're talking the TOP of the paranormal pecking order, here - she may DEMAND her daughter be BFF with Atsali, so she can use that friendship to lever herself into the Aunts' circle. Giving her daughter a major conflict: She likes Atsali, and actually is friends with her; but her mother's slimy manipulations will taint her association with her, and perhaps make her want to pull back. Or at least warn 'Sali that, where Jessie goes, her mother will try to worm in...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Her 'Imperial Gottleibiness' might well be living her past glory days through her daughter, a fact that (I suspect) Jessie is aware of- thank GOD I was never high enough up the social food chain to have a relationship with such a malfunction.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
... isn't that the little 3 cylinder Italian ragtop that came out in the 60's? Come to think of it, they squeaked as well...
That 500CC engine had FOUR cylinders thankyewverramuch. And if yours squeaked someone must have neglected to grease the suspension bushings that week (lovely car to drive, but terrible design from the required PM standpoint, having to grease 22 pivot points weekly was a major pain, especially since you could only get to 8 of them without using a lift)

... Four? No WONDER it ran so rough... and yeah, the manual being in Italian wasn't too clear about lube points, at least not to me.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Brasten

Post by Brasten »

eee wrote:It may be you who is underestimating Ms. Gottlieb. Once she sees who's on Atsali's side - I mean, we're talking the TOP of the paranormal pecking order, here - she may DEMAND her daughter be BFF with Atsali, so she can use that friendship to lever herself into the Aunts' circle. Giving her daughter a major conflict: She likes Atsali, and actually is friends with her; but her mother's slimy manipulations will taint her association with her, and perhaps make her want to pull back. Or at least warn 'Sali that, where Jessie goes, her mother will try to worm in...
Which would be even more hilarious when the Tuna lands out of water in the Circle of Dork that now comprises highest strata of Para-society. It's a living nightmare for a social climber and queen bee type, when they encounter a social tier so far above them that not only does it not play by any rules they know, it actively dislikes their general mode of operation.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

My last guess at what happens next was so far off base I have decided to fall back on plan B:

Where are we going?
We don't know.
When will we get there?
We're not certain.
All we know is that we're on our way. . .

(Drops a VHS copy of "Paint Your Wagon" into the pun jar. . .)
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Hell, this is Wapsi Square- the accuracy of any predictions is governed by the laws of chance and chaos theory-
WHAT A RIDE!!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

I'm just opposed to things ending violently, is all. Especially when said things could scar Atsali's new fishy friend for life.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Akeche wrote:I'm just opposed to things ending violently, is all. Especially when said things could scar Atsali's new fishy friend for life.
Paul seldom resorts to bloodshed- usually violence is limited to creatures that are imperviouse to permanent damage. I think the fish are safe... but just in case, I have recipies...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
tombone

Post by tombone »

jeffepp wrote:Or, maybe she is "Old Titan", and has a dislike for "New Titan's". In any case, she is justifying this as for her daughters "own good", because for reasons.
So, if she pulls the "old titan" card, is that where Shelly, Bia, and Tina pop in and say "Hi!"?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

"Damage control" implies that she sees something that needs to be fixed. So, what's the damage that she sees? Is she trying to shore up her own daughter's status at the expense of somebody else? Is she merely extremely prudish? Is she anti-siren in general? I suppose that we'll have to wait and see.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:"Damage control" implies that she sees something that needs to be fixed. So, what's the damage that she sees? Is she trying to shore up her own daughter's status at the expense of somebody else?
Mermaid "helicopter mother", perhaps? An exocoetamorph?
illiad

Post by illiad »

Catawampus wrote:"Damage control" implies that she sees something that needs to be fixed. So, what's the damage that she sees? Is she trying to shore up her own daughter's status at the expense of somebody else? Is she merely extremely prudish? Is she anti-siren in general? I suppose that we'll have to wait and see.
The damage is to her ego... she hates seeing those prettier than her...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:"Damage control" implies that she sees something that needs to be fixed. So, what's the damage that she sees? Is she trying to shore up her own daughter's status at the expense of somebody else?
Willing to Kill: The Texas Cheerleader Story.

True story.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I'm pretty sure that whomever deals with Mrs. Gottlieb won't draw blood... Humiliation however is another matter. Jin has entirely too much fun messing with people's minds... think on what Jin does to Brandi here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/anything-else/
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

It's worth reading the comments under the comics from there forward a ways in the light of what we now know about Brandi.

Wow. Were we ever unsuspecting little lambs heading for the slaughter...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Catawampus wrote:"Damage control" implies that she sees something that needs to be fixed. So, what's the damage that she sees? Is she trying to shore up her own daughter's status at the expense of somebody else? Is she merely extremely prudish? Is she anti-siren in general? I suppose that we'll have to wait and see.

Well, siren have a reputation for a reason. Most of the time a reputation that is earned in that manner is earned because it's cemented somewhat in fact! Our little Birdy is the sweetest individual in the entire comic, she makes early days Brandi seem tart and even overshadows Euryale's SUNSHIIINE in some cases.

But we've never seen another siren, or a succubus/incubus for that matter. I suspect that many do indeed use their power over people and paranormal's to get everything their heart desires. With just a focus of her voice, Atsali would want for nothing. Then there's the old tales of what siren's would do to sailors, luring them from a vessel only to drown and eat them. Of course said tales are in fact linked just as closely to mermaids, and in truth sometimes a siren and a mermaid is one in the same. That isn't the case here, but there might still be some relation between the species which I'd assume would spark another grudge.

Age old cousin species usurping your daughter's place on Mount Popular? Hard to blame the woman for feeling vindictive, we all do sometimes... Does anyone else have a better memory than me on what sparked the changing of the torch? I'd imagine if Jessie just... came into it because of who she is, and Atsali was simply 'handed' the status off by a higher power (how the everliving hell the MiB has that kind of power I have no idea). Yeah... I could understand the resentment somewhat.