Imagine That 2015-05-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Re: Imagine That 2015-05-29

Post by Thor »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Oh i also notice there is a second entry for todays comic that needs to be deleted i guess. Can it still be deleted since its been up so long now that someone has replied to it?
What? I though I axed that...

Yeah, I can't nuke it now, so I reported it to the mods. :oops:
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote:And Atsali pulls in yet another titan into her circle... Titanette? hehehe

Devyn, girl, I can't understand why you were so scared to talk to Atsali!
Well, *that* penny was dropped by the fish, on May 26 RL time.. :D
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

What with "Squeeek!", and then yesterday and the goings-on today, something has been knocking at the doors.

Just caught it: The Mouse That Roared.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
T'Renn

Post by T'Renn »

KnightDelight wrote:I don't know ... but should not Poseidon be one of those elder gods that everyone is trying to keep out?
I've been assuming that the Old Gods being kept out are more on the order of the Lovecraftian type. Not those specifically, but definitely the hugely inhuman and insanity-inducing. Poseidon would be more on the power level of beings like the Titans, who are demonstrably still allowed, unless too ill-behaved.
It's always a good episode of "Mythbusters" when even the bomb squad is standing in awed silence.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Akeche wrote:A tad preachy, but I find this more favorable than some of the offered options people thought up. Still, Don't Shoot the Messenger and all that.

I'd argue with her on that last comment in the first panel, of course, but that's mainly because of where they're located. We discussed that in the other thread, we're prudes in the US.
the odd thing is, with all the latest 'award ceremonies' it seems you can show it all, if you dont show nips or 'pantyline' !!

see the latest Nicki minaj video.. :)
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

There is also a certain level of irksome that this is still someone throwing around the power of their family. So we've got yet another big player in Atsali's corner. The poor girl might not be a Mary Sue, except perhaps her looks, but she sure as hell has the same protective bubble as one.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

T'Renn wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:I don't know ... but should not Poseidon be one of those elder gods that everyone is trying to keep out?
I've been assuming that the Old Gods being kept out are more on the order of the Lovecraftian type. Not those specifically, but definitely the hugely inhuman and insanity-inducing. Poseidon would be more on the power level of beings like the Titans, who are demonstrably still allowed, unless too ill-behaved.
Yeah, same here. Titan's are older the Poseidon and the other Greek Gods, so if they're allowed I doubt the Greek God's aren't.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Akeche wrote:There is also a certain level of irksome that this is still someone throwing around the power of their family. So we've got yet another big player in Atsali's corner. The poor girl might not be a Mary Sue, except perhaps her looks, but she sure as hell has the same protective bubble as one.
Mary sue? Protective Bubble? At what, a pool? I doubt this power would hold up everywhere. I mean c'mon. Only reason it is here is cause her uncle owns the place.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

I would guess that this is a hot button issue for someone. To go from fan-girl-squee to all-out-counter-attack in .5 seconds...
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

TheCollector wrote:
Akeche wrote:There is also a certain level of irksome that this is still someone throwing around the power of their family. So we've got yet another big player in Atsali's corner. The poor girl might not be a Mary Sue, except perhaps her looks, but she sure as hell has the same protective bubble as one.
Mary sue? Protective Bubble? At what, a pool? I doubt this power would hold up everywhere. I mean c'mon. Only reason it is here is cause her uncle owns the place.
Paul has literally set it up where some of the, as far as we know, most powerful people in the paranormal world see Atsali as family.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

On a different subject: I'm calling this as the end of Volume 12.

Geez, think about that for a moment. Twelve volumes of story telling? And only half of them have actually been dead-tree published!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley- we have a full salvo from what turns out to be Poseidon's niece- I guess that qualifies as either SEAL team or MARINE RECON- either way, the Chauesser's reaction is in accordance to classic French battle tactics- torn between retreat and surrender. Chauesser will undoubtedly go to the source of complaint for re-enforcements- then we get to see who the real players are. Again, cameras are working, all is documented- over
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Thanks to Devyn we now have a French Fried Flunky. What she is showing is outrage over the body shaming being tried. She is such a niece person isn't she.

Niece is a bit vague for how she is related. The term can be by blood, marriage, or adoption into the family. After all Sali has all those Aunts after all. Devyn may be the same way with Poseidon. Let's see if more info in provided before we get too far into guessing. After all she could be a half sister to Nudge!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Akeche wrote:A tad preachy, but I find this more favorable than some of the offered options people thought up. Still, Don't Shoot the Messenger and all that.

I'd argue with her on that last comment in the first panel, of course, but that's mainly because of where they're located. We discussed that in the other thread, we're prudes in the US.
But she is voicing the increasingly popular perspective of folks in the US. Prudish habits are being used as excuses for body shaming and the early sexualization (is that a word?) of teenagers...and that's not okay.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Thor wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Jin may no longer immortal but she is still good at pulling just the right strings. :)
Good at pulling strings, my Aunt Fanny!

What would have happened if Devin had been--for example--in the bathroom when Snooty McSnoot-Snoot came over to harass Atsali? And Devyn was only nearby out of pure chance in the first place.

It was a terrible plan, and it had no reason to work properly at all.
I doubt that this was a matter of pulling strings or that this was the whole plan. Jin probably gathered together as many potentially useful pieces into place as she could, and then waited to see how the situation would play out to see which--if any--she would put into play. She might have known that Devyn would be there and hoped that she could become a part of the whole thing, but I don't see how she could have counted on Devyn being right there just at the moment when Atsali was being confronted.
T'Renn wrote:
The world grid keeps outsiders from just popping in whenever they want. The Library bypasses the grid and will let outsiders in, but it screens them by whether or not they have good intentions (whatever those may be). The deciding factor seems to be whether your business on Earth is "good" or "evil", not what species or class of being you are. If Sauron wanted to visit the Earth just to pay his taxes, or if Azathoth merely wanted to drop by his favourite coffee shop, then they might very well be let through.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:GO DEVYN!

Does this mean, Atsali's having herself...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...a Poseidon Adventure?

YEAAAAHHHHHHH...
YPay it, pay it now or we're all DOOMED! The world is not enough to contain the Caine!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Julie wrote:

But she is voicing the increasingly popular perspective of folks in the US. Prudish habits are being used as excuses for body shaming and the early sexualization (is that a word?) of teenagers...and that's not okay.
But what IS "early?" I mean really. When people were lucky to make it to 30, marriage and breeding often started at 12 or 13. It had to. Those rites of passage, like bat mitzvah happen at 12 and 13 for a reason. The reason being that those were the ages of marriage eligibility way back when. The biology has not changed, it's only societies attitudes that have. Though in some places early teens is still the norm. Like it or not, girls are sexual creatures, and breedable even before teen years start. We simply allow them to be kids much longer nowadays. Anyway, my point is that these girls are only "kids" because we deem them to be so. Nature and biology say otherwise but we ignore it. Or we try to ignore it. It's a mistake to say these girls are too young to be "sexualized." They may act like giddy girls but, if they have menstruated, they are women. We just let them continue to be children. It's really just a game we play as a society. Unfortunately it messes with their minds quite a bit and makes them unsure of their place in the world. They have these very adult feelings and thoughts yet are treated as children. I know it messed with my mind. <steps off soapbox>
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
eee

Post by eee »

Thor wrote:Wait, Jin was basing her entire plan on that?!

Yeah, awesome plan there, Jin, I'm glad you were lucky enough that it worked. :roll:
You are assuming this WAS Jin's plan. But she wouldn't have brought all the aunts, and dressed so provocatively herself, if she knew Devyn would be there at the precise right moment and in the precise right attitude to become enraged and single handedly defeat the French. I suspect Jin had a very different campaign planned out. But now Poseidon's niece is doing all the work AND making herself a friend to Atsali; why interfere when things are going so well on their own? :D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

KnightDelight wrote:I don't know ... but should not Poseidon be one of those elder gods that everyone is trying to keep out? I guess he kept his nose clean and is allowed in. Also, given that Atsali and Cassi are adopted and consider themselves to be related to everyone involved as if they were blood, perhaps this girl is the same way with Poseidon. Whatever the case, slimy French guy should slink off while the slinking's good. I guess he's a paranormal. The question remains, however. is he part frog or part snail? Ok, ok, sorry to you French folk out there for being stereotypical, but someone had to say it.

Oh, and this may not have been part of Jin's plan at all. She may be just going with the flow of a fortuitous event. Seems hard to reconcile her hesitation and nervious behavior with Atsali with her unloading on Monsieur Snootmiester though.
Unless he is the Belgian, then he would not be the detestable Frog.
(Sorry, my son has been reading Poirot, and made me watch all the BBC David Suchet performances)
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

If it wasn't for a certain Tuna spurring the girls into sending an envoy, we wouldn't have been witness to this rather pleasing moment.