Worried About You 2012-08-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Worried About You 2012-08-21

Post by NOTDilbert »

Well, darn it, this is reaction everyone was afraid of - she has cut herself off from Phix and Shelly; the shock has triggered a fear of her former friends.

This will probably require an intervention by her other friends - and hopefully, that won't make it worse....

(Had to go back in and put the date in the title - D'oh!)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Re: Worried About You 2012-08-21

Post by shadowinthelight »

I seriously want to fling a wet noodle at Monica. Shelly is 1/2 titan, 1/4 sphinx, and 1/4 human. She has just as much person in there as she does flesh eating cat. M is concentrating so much on the negative she is ignoring the positive in her friend. :(
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I was concerned this would happen too. One of those plot things that could go either way, and neither one is especially good. What M has to remember is that Phix and Shelly are still the same people, well not in the case of Shelly, as she used to be human but now she's an immortal sphinx/Titan hybrid with enough human to keep things from falling apart (operating under the hypothesis from another forumite), but psychologically she's pretty much the same as she was before the Time Forest, just a lot older, but M had already come to terms with that and accepted her friend back. Now that she's seen what Shelly's biological grandmother is really like on a bad day M is all freaked out...

The bad thing about this is I'm investing way too much in fictional characters. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I agree, This is what I was afraid of. Monica has decided to go back to her old method and just ignore things that frighten her. She has to buck up and remember that they are all the same people that they were before, she just did not let herself believe what they were warning her about. And I am sure that Phix is beside herself with grief that she may have scared M away for good. But for Monica to cut Shelly off is just plain stupid. She is in need of a major reminder that real friendship means adjusting to truths about our friends and not running away.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

An even more important set of question -- What is/was Shelly's response when she found out?

Wasn’t Phix displaying all the behavior that Shelly is afraid that she will? And then there is the whole problem of her relationship, or non-relationship, with Bia. Nudge must be going crazy trying to sort the situation out after this.

p.s. Don’t put to much into Monica’s downcast eyes, safest thing to do when Euryales snakes are showing. Wonder why she is doing that?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This isn't the Monica we know and love. True she will avoid the unpleasant but she has never abandoned a friend like this. She's been scared before, even terrified but she always bounced back. this makes it seem like she won't. Something else is bothering her about this that we don't know about because to make her react so differently takes more than just a shock. My own thought is that it's another symptom of PTSD (Post Traumatic Shock Syndom) she is suffering from and she doesn't know she has it. Can somebody find a good immortal therapist and have them poit in for Monica.

The snakes are back. This is probably why Monica is not looking at her.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Time for Tina to intervene.

Despite having her original soul gone(apparently) she has proven to be quite the therapist, and that for free, over a simple cuppa'

M has just realized what she has gotten herself into. A large part of her adventures were just thát: great adventures, sensation, interesting developments. Yet, at this moment the grisly truth about creatures from fables, has sunk in, and she is not yet ready to accept the sudden changes.

M has been a conservative type, nèver sought action and adventure. But, on the other hand has to admit she sortof likes it. Tepoz once pointed that out to her.

She'll turn around, but is still internalizing what happened.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

I'm placing my bet on an Amanda smackdown. Monica keeps doing this, refusing to accept the more visceral aspects of the supernaturals/immortals she encounters, than cowering in fear and secluding herself when said visceral aspects debut and scare her.

Eurayle's too likely to take the soft motherly approach to force Monica, Bud would just press too hard in the wrong direction, Brandi and Jin would probably be focused on something entirely unrelated, Phix or Shelly themselves could send Monica running, Tina and Nudge... who knows what they'll do considering Sphinxes are involved, Kevin and Katherine will have no idea what to say or do, and Tepoz will be nowhere to be found (probably chilling at the pub with Owen, Jacqui, Daren, and the rest of Wapsi-past).

Amanda and Jacqui are the two who introduced Monica and Shelly, and Amanda's used to Monica's behavior and whining at this point. And unlike past instances, Amanda's in the know this time (about Monica, Shelly, and the whole supernatural thing). Plus she hasn't been in-comic in awhile (>^_^)>. I think she's the perfect candidate to bonk some sense back into her.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Can't say I'm surprised by Monica's reaction. I think the PTSD theory holds water. It wasn't just seeing Phix at her most primal that has spurred this reaction. It was the culmination of a series of events. She's just done, at least for now. The sad thing is, Shelly will accept this as what she deserves for her role in stabbing M in the head during the Calender Machine affair.

As far as Eryale's snakes hanging out, I think away from civilization, she's just letting her hair down. *clink* The whole freeze thing is probably triggered by her actively, either by anger or fear. She just reflexivly hides the snakes when she's in public. I'm betting just looking at her all besnaked won't result in being frozen.

And, yay, Shelly's pixie cut is back. :D
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Wait, so it's been two weeks since the "unfortunate incident" in the Bibliothiki? And Monica hasn't bounced back yet?

Sounds like we need Darren, Jacqui and Amanda to come out of the woodwork and give Monica a good talking-to...
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My2Cents wrote: p.s. Don’t put to much into Monica’s downcast eyes, safest thing to do when Euryales snakes are showing. Wonder why she is doing that?
Snakes are cold blooded, they're just enjoying the sunshine...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave11 wrote:Wait, so it's been two weeks since the "unfortunate incident" in the Bibliothiki? And Monica hasn't bounced back yet?
Dude IRL, even TODAY! there are people that think they're still in Saigon... yeah,WAAAYYYY back from when they were in the in the Vietnam Conflict... so two WEEKS, without talking to anybody (did she take a vacation from work and just stayed hidden at home?)... that ain't gonna do squat, to what she's churning over, and over again in her mind...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:I was concerned this would happen too. One of those plot things that could go either way, and neither one is especially good. What M has to remember is that Phix and Shelly are still the same people, well not in the case of Shelly, as she used to be human but now she's an immortal sphinx/Titan hybrid with enough human to keep things from falling apart (operating under the hypothesis from another forumite), but psychologically she's pretty much the same as she was before the Time Forest, just a lot older, but M had already come to terms with that and accepted her friend back. Now that she's seen what Shelly's biological grandmother is really like on a bad day M is all freaked out...
Quibble: Shelly always was those things.

But she didn't know/couldn't act on it.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:I agree, This is what I was afraid of. Monica has decided to go back to her old method and just ignore things that frighten her.
Not ignore - avoid. Slightly different.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave11 wrote:Wait, so it's been two weeks since the "unfortunate incident" in the Bibliothiki? And Monica hasn't bounced back yet?

Sounds like we need Darren, Jacqui and Amanda to come out of the woodwork and give Monica a good talking-to...
Heather, as a Messenger ... if Shelly thinks letting her into the Onion* would be safe.

================

* Been re-reading my brother's "Honorverse" books lately...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Fairportfan wrote:

Heather, as a Messenger ... if Shelly thinks letting her into the Onion* would be safe.

================

* Been re-reading my brother's "Honorverse" books lately...
I love that series, even if I think the Mesans got a little too cute with Adm. Filareta's chief of staff.
scantrontb wrote:
Dude IRL, even TODAY! there are people that think they're still in Saigon... yeah,WAAAYYYY back from when they were in the in the Vietnam Conflict... so two WEEKS, without talking to anybody (did she take a vacation from work and just stayed hidden at home?)... that ain't gonna do squat, to what she's churning over, and over again in her mind...
Good point. Monica's personal bounce-back time tends to be very short, though.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Poor Kid. I don't know what to say. But Leaving Shelly for..."Dead"? Thats cold.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Quick note to those who worry that Monica is fully ditching Shelly:

The bikini she is wearing is the same one as the image from yesterday. While it's possible the pinup was not intended to be a true "page" in the sense that the story is fully connected to it...I'm inclined to think that it actually is a scene from the current story (especially with Euryale's comment about how "we'all thought {M} might need a get-a-way n' fresh air.").

This could mean Shelly is there at the beach with Monica. M may be awkward and avoiding much direct contact with her sphinxy friend, but she's not staying miles away from her.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I'm kinda surprised that Monica is giving Euryale a pass on this. After all, she iced her twice already by accident. She also grouped herself with Titans and sphinxes as dangerous. Phobias are irrational fears. So maybe Monica is now afflicted with Sphinxaphobia. Yes, I do think it is irrational because I don't think either Phix or Shelly would hurt anyone they liked on purpose and I don't see Monica as the type to smack Shelly on the butt. Of course you have to want be cured. Any how, "Bummer!"
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Poor Monica, I really feel for her (or I would, if she were real - but you know what I mean.) She's been hanging with supernatural beings more than humans for a long time, but she's still a young woman, and what she saw (chomp! gobble! snarf! rip!) would be upsetting to anyone with normal sensibilities. So she's all, "I've been friends with that? No way! Ew!"

But time heals all wounds... I suspect she may be able to get her head around the fact that Shelly is not one of those sphinges. What her relationship with Phix will be from here on out remains to be seen.

“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game