Missing Something 2015-04-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Elvis

Re: Missing Something 2015-04-27

Post by Elvis »

"that still doesn't help"

yes it does, yes it does, at least for one person.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Kind of hard to call it "bi the way" when she's so direct about it.

*deposits a thumb drive with all directly related tvtropes articles on it in the pun jar*
How big is that thumb drive? I didn't think they made one large enough to handle all the tropes articles that Paul has used like this.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
captnq

Post by captnq »

After someone reacted like Atsali, I'd feel like I was dealing with someone with the emotional stability of an 11 year old. I don't care how old someone was, someone who acts like that is "innocent". I would never want to be the one to shatter that innocence. I'd immediately back off. I don't care how she looks, that reaction right there would have turned me right off.

I've got this vibe like Seven of Nine hitting on Kim in Voyager episode Revulsion. Let me sum it up:
Yeah, I'm attracted to you, but I realize it means absolutely nothing to you and your willingness to have sex anyways freaks me out.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atomic wrote:
  • "The place where I come from is a small town
    They think so small
    They use small words
    But not me
    I'm smarter than that
    I worked it out
    I've been stretching my mouth
    To let those big words come right out"
Well, good luck with that, darlin!
Big time!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

My nose would be callused for the amount of time hers has been rubbed in it. I have a four-pound smithing maul more sensitive than that.

Look behind you, dear- it went over your head.

Nadette- use small words and speak directly. Repeat after me-"You really turn me on and I am falling in love with you. I want to make out with you,"
Atsali- consider if you want a romantic relationship with Nadette and give her a direct answere
Sgt. Howard- it is only a cartoon strip, stop stressing over it like one of them is your own flesh and blood. Paul is running the show and he is having a great deal of fun with it, just sit back and enjoy the ride
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sometimes, the struggle against obliviousness resembles the effort of a salmon to swim upstream to reach its spawning grounds.

Sometimes it must swim against a very strong current,

Sometimes it has to jump over obstacles.

Sometimes it must jump time and time again to get past a barrier, such as a waterfall.

Salmon Atsali, meet Victoria Falls, also known as Bane Of the Clueless.

Last edited by Dave on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That sound you heard? That was the gasp of practically every WS reader as they read that final panel.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:Sometimes, the struggle against obliviousness resembles the effort of a salmon to swim upstream to reach its spawning grounds.

Sometimes it must swim against a very strong current,

Sometimes it has to jump over obstacles.

Sometimes it must jump time and time again to get past a barrier, such as a waterfall.

Salmon Atsali, meet Victoria Falls, also known as Bane Of the Clueless.

Aren't Victoria Falls near the headwaters of DeNile?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
eee

Post by eee »

Dear God. Poor Nadette. Poor Atsali! This is going to be a difficult relationship for both.

Of course, that 'Sali just casually stated she was bisexual couldn't hurt. Much. Maybe. :shock:
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

jeffepp wrote:Sort of shifting gears, but not really. Why is it so important for the Mer girl, that Atsali not blame her for goat boy hooking up with her brother?
Fear of being turned into sushi by Auntie Demon Shepherd.
And, for that matter, how would Atsali even come to such a conclusion?
Teenage logic.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Thor wrote:If Nadette actually manages to get her point across (which I will assume for the moment is "I want to be your girlfriend and have for quite some time now") I wonder how long it will take Atsali's mind to process it? And once she does, how long it will take her to retroactively recontextualize the whole "emergency jumpsuit" incident? And then how will she react to it once she figures out exactly how "close" they've been already?
I suspect that "liking boys and girls" is a trait of the sirens (and succubi, etc), hence their reputation for being "slutty". As Katherine told Atasli, she took (paranormal) parenting classes and knows that sirens, etc perceive relationships, desires, etc differently. The problem is that Atsali has no clue as to how the rest of the world perceives these things. Therefore once our little bear cub just states plainly what she is feeling/wants; Atsali will just say something like "Well why didn't you say something earlier, we could have dated!" The fact that they were skintight jumpsuit close wont phase her one bit, she is a siren after all.

So here is my take on the whole sirens are sluts; no they aren't thing. Firstly, a slut is promiscuous and addicted to the endorphins of sexual activity, mistaking them for love. Hence always trying to fill a round hole with a square peg. Secondly, sirens (and a few other paranormals) experience sex and love differently than most others, apparently making them somewhat immune to the advances of others--so they really can't understand how much effect they can have on others (like back at the island with the bear girls).

*throws a copy of 'Everything you wanted to know about paranormal sex but were afraid to ask' and box of assorted pegs into the pun jar.*
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DilyV wrote:This is the worst place Nadette could be having this conversation. If she decides to tee the ball up and take a huge swing and kiss Atsali, or tell Atsali that she loves and wants her, Katherine stands to chance hearing or walking in on the conversation... or worse... Pickle, who will immediately blow everything out of proportion.
That could actually be why this is the best place for this conversation, for both Atsali and Nadette. There was some concern expressed both in-comic and out-of-comic that Nadette may have been taking advantage of Atsali during the Second Mapimi Escapades. If Nadette shares these concerns and is worried about her own self-control and her ability to easily manipulate Atsali's innocent obliviousness, then what better place to confront Atsali about her feelings than in a place that is safest for Atsali? It would be very difficult for Nadette to take advantage of Atsali here and now, whether it was deliberate or not.
GlytchMeister wrote:And I swear, if Pickle walks in and delays this for another week, I won't be able to decide if she's cute or annoying. Katherine, I'm thinking would delay it a maximum of three days.
Or Cricket and the mergirls will crash through the window as part of some convoluted hijinks in an effort to defuse the nonexistent Atsali-Jacob-Daniel-Jessie situation. Thus leading to ADVENTURE!!!!
jeffepp wrote:So, if the Mer girl (no I don't recall her name, and I'm not going to go look right now). . .
Daryl Hannah?
captnq wrote:After someone reacted like Atsali, I'd feel like I was dealing with someone with the emotional stability of an 11 year old. I don't care how old someone was, someone who acts like that is "innocent". I would never want to be the one to shatter that innocence. I'd immediately back off. I don't care how she looks, that reaction right there would have turned me right off.
That's likely the main reasons why she's not one of the characters in this comic who I do find attractive. Don't get me wrong, I like her as a character, and she seems a nice person and has many good qualities. Granted that my own sexuality seems to have a few quirks different from the usual, but the idea of hooking up with a real-world version of Atsali would feel so very wrong. She just doesn't seem mentally ready for that sort of thing yet, even if she is physically.
eee wrote:Of course, that 'Sali just casually stated she was bisexual couldn't hurt. Much. Maybe. :shock:
No more than pouring fuel onto a fire ever hurts anyone.
donoho

Post by donoho »

shadowinthelight wrote:I think Nadette's head is about to asplode.
GlytchMeister wrote:*scream of frustration into pillow*

This is the biggest Sheldon Cooper moment I've ever been witness to.
Bazinga!
I did a triple take, looking for a puff of smoke over her head.
oldmanmickey wrote:This comic makes me feel so much better. Finally someone who misses more social clues than i do.
She's got a few years to catch up with me.
wwf wrote:I'ts been said that sirens and incubi perceive attraction differently. It may be their species instinctive weapon. They naturally shrug off feelings of lust, love, desire or attraction from others while overwhelming their opponent by inducing these same feelings.
Sali seems to respond to physical or mental interactions with physical arousal but not with lust. Her mind stays clear.
She seems to want friendship, belonging, made to feel special like all her friends.
She gets embarrassed by her physical arousal or making social mistakes.
Most people have an overlapping continuum of friendly like, to romantic love, to physical arousal.
Maybe sirens and incubi experience friendly like and physical arousal but they do not connect the two experiences.
Sirens seem to be capable of love, but it is very well guarded by their instincts.

So that's my theory which will most likely be proven wrong by comic tomorrow.

Walter
As an incubus, that sounds about right. This explanation would have come in really handy 20+ yrs ago.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:
    They think so small
    They use small words
    But not me
    I'm smarter than that
    I worked it out
@$#%&¢! That's the fourth time in as many days someone has gotten a song from "So" stuck in my head. You guys are going to make me wear out my record(yeah, I have it on vinyl--git off mah lawn!).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
eee

Post by eee »

Catawampus wrote:[
jeffepp wrote:So, if the Mer girl (no I don't recall her name, and I'm not going to go look right now). . .
Daryl Hannah?
I nominate a Daryl Hannah lookalike for Jessie's Mom! :lol:
illiad

Post by illiad »

DinkyInky wrote:
Atomic wrote:
    They think so small
    They use small words
    But not me
    I'm smarter than that
    I worked it out
@$#%&¢! That's the fourth time in as many days someone has gotten a song from "So" stuck in my head. You guys are going to make me wear out my record(yeah, I have it on vinyl--git off mah lawn!).
:D :D save the vinyl, man....
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

eee wrote:Dear God. Poor Nadette. Poor Atsali! This is going to be a difficult relationship for both.

Of course, that 'Sali just casually stated she was bisexual couldn't hurt. Much. Maybe. :shock:
Could be just the thing, actually. Nadette now knows that sexual relationships are not very meaningful to Atsali on an emotional level because of Atsali's heritage, but not that she doesn't like them. She (probably) likes them but places a higher value on having people to hang out with. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Opus the Poet wrote:
eee wrote:Dear God. Poor Nadette. Poor Atsali! This is going to be a difficult relationship for both.

Could be just the thing, actually. Nadette now knows that sexual relationships are not very meaningful to Atsali on an emotional level because of Atsali's heritage, but not that she doesn't like them. She (probably) likes them but places a higher value on having people to hang out with. :ugeek:
Atsali seems to be searching for a better lot in life than your average Siren should expect. She seems to truly want to just be a normal kid... Not that teenagers are normal... but I think you get my drift. What we've seen out of Atsali so far is that she's hurt deeply by other people's thoughts about Sirens... and is trying to break the stereotype she's been so conveniently wedged in to. It must be so confusing for her... others call her slut because she's a siren, but she has no intention to living up to that stereotype...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

illiad wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Atomic wrote:
    They think so small
    They use small words
    But not me
    I'm smarter than that
    I worked it out
:D :D save the vinyl, man....
Vids are nice eye candy, but vinyl is so much better! Makes me want to put a stylus down, start with the Car album.

It is interesting that vinyl is achieving a new following. I had a young guy in my group at work, he was crazy about vinyl, loved the pops and noise associated with vintage issues. He is a Pink Floyd fan and I gave him a reasonably worn copy of "Wish You Were Here", he loved it! Go figure. He quit a little while later, now going to med school. As a parting gift, he gave me a copy of Roger Waters "Radio Kaos" on vinyl. Good kid!

With Atsali's kind, perhaps there is a second stage of development. She still now has the innocent mind. After time or outside influence she will become aware of what it's all about...

Hey, I hit it with the sushi remark! We'll see...
Aed

Post by Aed »

Atsali saying that she likes boys and girls is not a statement that she is bi-sexual. While sirens in general and Atsali in particular may be bi-sexual, her statement, however, may be nothing more than emphasis on just how cluelessly innocent Atsali really is.

Consider please, that most of the forum posters have both male and female friends, so we could state frankly that we like both boys and girls. That would not necessarily mean that we are attracted sexually to both. Let's watch and see what Paul shows us next in this adventure.

Atsali - clueless innocence or coy vixen? :shock: