Come Quick 2015-03-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jay-Em

Re: Come Quick 2015-03-22

Post by Jay-Em »

Heh..

Despite the very sad premisse her, I still cannot believe Paul actually put a daedroth in charge of an orphanage. Now thát's originality.

On the comic's subject : The older I get, the harder it becomes for me to understand how someone so very young can decide to kill him-herself. How desperate someone so young must be. Far too many sad press releases about (sometimes bullied) kids that kill themselves in desperation.

I cannot even begìn to understand the helplessness a caretaker must feel when his/her protegée kills him/herself. You'll probably keep doubting yourself the rest of your life :"How could I have missed it/Hoe could I have helped.." Etc.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
as363

Post by as363 »

Very sad indeed - teen angst is one of life's strangest things. Seems to have no rhyme or reason behind it. A teenage friend of mine from High School killed himself at age 19 . He was getting great grades and had won a Collage Scholarship . Miss you man.
notStanley

Post by notStanley »

Condolences to folk hit hard by being left behind, but suicide is always an option. Just self-administered euthanasia when prospects for quality of life are no longer worth the effort of continued existence. Some days the lure of "nothing" is very strong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jay-Em wrote:Heh..

Despite the very sad premisse her, I still cannot believe Paul actually put a daedroth in charge of an orphanage. Now thát's originality.
Art anticipates life... recent research shows that "walking crocodiles" were apparently around before the dinosaurs evolved.

oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Glasshawk wrote:Long time reader of the comic (and long time reader of the forums without registering) and Friday's and this comic touched a spot that is well beyond painful. 17 years ago, my girlfriend at the time committed suicide. No hints, no warning signs, nothing. She was prepping to move out East to start a job before her master's degree program and on the last evening we were going to be together, she had been at my place for a couple hours. She asked if I wanted her to head to that college for her master's degree and I asked her if that is what she wanted and she told me "Its everything I've wanted to do", I told her she should go and I would still be here when she got back. I remember her last comment of "You may not be everything I want, but I will settle for you. We've been together in lives before, in this one, and in more in the future." I didn't think anything of it, since she was a believer in reincarnation and had told me before that we were two souls attached. The next morning, I get a call from her parents that she shot herself in the head less than two hours after she left my place. Between Friday's comic and then having a friend from back then call on Saturday and ask "So do you and (her name) have a herd of kids running around by now?" had me in a position where today's comic just... There are no words.

As 'Sali is probably figuring out, burying memories only works until either someone digs the memories back up or they pull themselves back to the surface. And as I've dealt with over this weekend, memories always dig themselves back out. Pickle just triggered something in Sali's memory and that genie is not going back in its bottle anytime soon.
And one never knows what may cause it to be brought to fore. I can more understand Pickles view on this, she simply can not comprehend whats going on. The concept of mortality does not yet exist for them. The first time i ever had to deal with death was when i was 9 years old. My best friend another 9 year old hung himself by i still to this day hope accident. he was sitting on the washing machine playing with a rope noose. The official story is he accidentally slipped off the machine and could not reach the floor. This event combined with my grandmothers death over a year long period followed by the parents getting divorced all in a couple of years time for sure set the tone of my life.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Jay-Em wrote:On the comic's subject : The older I get, the harder it becomes for me to understand how someone so very young can decide to kill him-herself. How desperate someone so young must be. Far too many sad press releases about (sometimes bullied) kids that kill themselves in desperation.
I came close enough when i was thirteen that i sat holding the gun and the box of ammunition for an hour or more before i put them away and didn't tell anyone for twenty years.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

notStanley wrote:Condolences to folk hit hard by being left behind, but suicide is always an option. Just self-administered euthanasia when prospects for quality of life are no longer worth the effort of continued existence. Some days the lure of "nothing" is very strong.
Its not so much the lure of nothing but the promise of something. In my case it was freedom from pain that made me consider the option.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
sheik

Post by sheik »

After reading the comments above I have to wonder just how close everybody (including myself) comes at some point to ending it all.
But for most of us it is a phase.
I now have the attitude that, if I could, I'd claw myself out of my own grave.
And I realize that that too may be a phase.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

She looks like an older version of one of the kids from Castela's class. This being a paranormal, though, the question remains: is she really dead? Just temporarily dead, or only sorta dead? I suppose that we'll find out.
stjen wrote:Sudden thought (at 3am) -- we know that they paired younger kids with older kids. Perhaps Pickle was paired with the hanging girl -- that was why she didn't have a problem with "swinging" with her, not knowing any better. And that this is the time where Atsali became Pickle's new "big sister".
Or this girl was the one in charge of younger Atsali, who was put in charge of Castela in her own turn. Probably not, though.
Gyrrakavian wrote:I didn't think we needed that question answered quite so vividly.

Sometimes it is simply better to tell.
It could have been shown a lot more vividly. Hanging doesn't usually leave a nice peaceful expression, and also tends to be rather. . .messy below.
sheik wrote:After reading the comments above I have to wonder just how close everybody (including myself) comes at some point to ending it all.
Never really felt the inclination myself. Though sometimes my body has apparently had the idea on its own. "Oh, so you've not had any food in awhile, and have finally had some practically fall into your lap? Well, I'm not going to let the stomach function, so you still won't be able to eat properly for several more days! Ha ha ha! Just try to gain nourishment now!"

I gather that it's pretty much standard for kids to think about the idea a good bit. I doubt that it's possible to get accurate counts on how many people almost but don't quite go through with it, since most probably wouldn't say much about it to other people. It would be the number of people who admit to it, plus some unknown but probably large additional number.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

A limrick just won't work here...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

AmriloJim wrote:Is it naivete in Castela's upbringing or a defense mechanism kicking in immediately? I tend to think the former, given her surprise to learn that fey had feelings.

i vote for the defense mechanism

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/life-strategies/
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:Art anticipates life... recent research shows that "walking crocodiles" were apparently around before the dinosaurs evolved.
That site is worse than TV Tropes in it's ability to suck you in.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Dave wrote:Art anticipates life... recent research shows that "walking crocodiles" were apparently around before the dinosaurs evolved.
That site is worse than TV Tropes in it's ability to suck you in.
It's part of my morning web-dive. I find that if I get the science news in small doses, once a day, I'm less likely to overindulge and have to depend on somebody else to drag me away from the monitor by the scruff of my neck. :?
captnq

Post by captnq »

Worked on a suicide prevention hotline for a while.

Kid called in after taking the pills. I think he planned it, hoping that someone would come and save him. He took forever to get around to saying he actually took the pills already. You see, at the time, we didn't have caller ID. It was illegal because the calls were anonymous. So when I told him nobody was on the way because we had no idea where he was, he finally got scared but was too screwed up to tell me where he was. He was confused and gave me the wrong address. Sent the cops to the wrong place. Got to listen as he-

Okay! Well, that's enough of a stroll down forgotten nightmare lane!
Thank god I'm an Atheist, because if there was a heaven,
I think I would have blown my brains out years ago.

Time to go bury some feelings deep down inside, cramming them into an ulcer causing lump of neutronium in the pit of my stomach, followed by medication to mask the symptoms so I never have to deal with this again.

Summer sausage, colby jack cheese, and Smirnoff. Mmm, Mmm, memory murdering good.
Later!
captnq

Post by captnq »

sheik wrote:I now have the attitude that, if I could, I'd claw myself out of my own grave.
And I realize that that too may be a phase.
It's not a phase. Pile enough crap on someone, you eventually get to a point where you are surviving just to survive. Where living is it's own accomplshment. Broke both my legs. Finished an 18 hour shift. Why? Because I simply refused to acknowledge my legs were broken. The next morning my legs refused to work. Period. Had to go to the emergency room and wound up laid up for 6 weeks.

You get good enough at "enduring", it becomes it's own thing. It's not a phase, it's a defensive reaction. A primordial need manifested as it's own version of psychosis. Yes, you can claw your way out of your own grave, but you also can't stop. You can't slow down. You can't take time out to heal because if you stop. if you stop to heal, you have to feel. You just keep going. You get back up and YOU KEEP GOING because IT'S NOT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER.

If you actually are at this point, you need help. The problem is, nobody is going to notice you have a problem, so nobody is going to help you. People TRY to become this broken. It's glorified in the movies. The determinator. The man who stops for nothing.

We all need to stop sometime. Can you stop? Can you let it hurt?

Addendum: I suppose I should answer my own question.
No. But I'm trying.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dave wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:Heh..

Art anticipates life... recent research shows that "walking crocodiles" were apparently around before the dinosaurs evolved.

"Hey, I'm walking here!"
Aed

Post by Aed »

I ... have no words. :cry:
Thor

Post by Thor »

Okay, since no one has mentioned this, I'll do it. Pickle swinging on the corpse's legs just would not happen. Here's why: Why you die, all the various sphincter muscles in your body release. The dead girl would have been hanging there with poop and pee running down her legs. That would probably be enough to deter anyone, even Pickle, from taking a ride.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:Okay, since no one has mentioned this, I'll do it. Pickle swinging on the corpse's legs just would not happen. Here's why: Why you die, all the various sphincter muscles in your body release. The dead girl would have been hanging there with poop and pee running down her legs. That would probably be enough to deter anyone, even Pickle, from taking a ride.
That's Real Life.

Irrelevant here.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:That's Real Life.
Real Death, rather.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!