From Her Past 2015-03-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Hansontoons

Re: From Her Past 2015-03-20

Post by Hansontoons »

TazManiac wrote:Hey, this thread has gotten awful heavy, here is something prescribed to combat the swing of the Pendulum- near random Wapsi Comic from the past:

July 09, 2004

dere' hows dat?
Ah. Simpler times. Sometimes I miss them in my own life.

Put on some music from earlier days, nurse a cold BEvERage, all is well.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jeffepp wrote:On the subject of PTSD, while you can get it from one indecent, most people get it over time. And certain things can set it off, that don't bother others. A while back, on another forum, someone posted a gif of a jetliner doing a barrel roll (clearly fake). But, several of us were reminded of the Fairchild crash, and talked about that. That upset the poster, who seemed to think we were complaining about them posting what they thought was a funny gag gif. I had to explain that it wasn't criticism, just a PTSD triggered response. Very few of us got out of the military without some twitches. While you cannot blame it for everything, don't dismiss it as a factor, either.
Oddly enough, one of the test pilots for the Boeing 707 barrel-rolled it during the demonstration flight. Kelly Johnson was livid but the maneuver was all done within the G limits of the aircraft was was fully within the flight envelope. The Company was like, "Don't do that again... Ever."
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...What is this "weekend" thing of which you speak?
Hmm... An unsatisfying finish to a story? Something some individuals of advanced age experience? A couple of days hard-working folks use to recover from work? Or a couple of days from which some people use the week to recover?
Owww... yes, I'm going to be in the latter category this time around. Spent the whole day dealing with some dry-rotted-and-termite-infested woodwork in our "studio" guest-and-storage building... ripping and digging out all the bad, buying and cutting and treating and drilling and screwing the new into place. My hat is off to the people who do this sort of work all week, for a living... I can already tell I'm going to be aching in the morning.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...What is this "weekend" thing of which you speak?
Hmm... An unsatisfying finish to a story? Something some individuals of advanced age experience? A couple of days hard-working folks use to recover from work? Or a couple of days from which some people use the week to recover?
Owww... yes, I'm going to be in the latter category this time around. Spent the whole day dealing with some dry-rotted-and-termite-infested woodwork in our "studio" guest-and-storage building... ripping and digging out all the bad, buying and cutting and treating and drilling and screwing the new into place. My hat is off to the people who do this sort of work all week, for a living... I can already tell I'm going to be aching in the morning.
Isn't that fun? FIrst house I "owned" had some hidden issues that were not discovered until I started poking around out of curiosity. By the time I finished the repair, I had vastly improved my carpentry skills and was on first-name basis with the manager at the local home improvement center.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DilyV wrote:
jeffepp wrote:On the subject of PTSD, while you can get it from one indecent, most people get it over time. And certain things can set it off, that don't bother others. A while back, on another forum, someone posted a gif of a jetliner doing a barrel roll (clearly fake). But, several of us were reminded of the Fairchild crash, and talked about that. That upset the poster, who seemed to think we were complaining about them posting what they thought was a funny gag gif. I had to explain that it wasn't criticism, just a PTSD triggered response. Very few of us got out of the military without some twitches. While you cannot blame it for everything, don't dismiss it as a factor, either.
Oddly enough, one of the test pilots for the Boeing 707 barrel-rolled it during the demonstration flight. Kelly Johnson was livid but the maneuver was all done within the G limits of the aircraft was was fully within the flight envelope. The Company was like, "Don't do that again... Ever."
I said that, too - it was an aileron roll, never more than one g.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Tex Johnston rolls the 707 over Lake Washington on a demo flight, 1955.

When the 777 was about to have its first public demo flight thirty-nine years later, the then-President of Boeing's final instruction to the test pilot was "No barrel rolls."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm sorry (actually I'm not really, but social convention has me prequalifying stuff all the time,...)

I'd think the only way the Pilot was there and able to hear the admission (edit: make that Admonishment) was that prior to the 'Big Public Demonstration;' he had already barrel-rolled the dam'd thing.
Last edited by TazManiac on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:I'm sorry (actually I'm not really, but social convention has me prequalifying stuff all the time,...)

I'd think the only way the Pilot was there and able to hear the admission was that prior to the 'Big Public Demonstration;' he had already barrel-rolled the dam'd thing.
Huh? Hear what admission?
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

That certainly answered that question.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Gyrrakavian wrote:That certainly answered that question.
Yeah.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I for one am glad Opus is still on the Planet...
Amen.
May I join the chorus?
Yeah, most days I'm glad to be here myself..
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Warrl wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:the "detective" assigned to my case tried to tell me here was no proof that I did any damage to the truck that they could use to search for it, in spite of having windshield glass removed from my back and paint transfer from the truck on my helmet, and I know the hood was bent from breaking my hip. Knowing that some guy had tried to kill me and that LEO were going to do nothing about that, is what tipped me over into PTSD.
Yeah, that says to me "we're pretty sure we know who did it and we certainly won't do anything that might lead to proof that we're right."
Yep, didn't find out for sure it was a city vehicle until after the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit had expired, by about 3 months. :evil: :x
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Opus the Poet wrote:Yep, didn't find out for sure it was a city vehicle until after the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit had expired, by about 3 months. :evil: :x
They're blasting out a new area in hell right now to make room for those guys. Maybe not quite as far from the bar as Nixon and Kissinger's table, but still way, way out of sight of it. :x
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.