From Her Past 2015-03-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

From Her Past 2015-03-20

Post by jwhouk »

Oh oh.

EDIT: Oh.

Damn.
Last edited by jwhouk on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Re: From Her Past 2015-03-20

Post by DilyV »

Today's strip linkie: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/from-her-past/

Uh-Oh indeed... Poor Atsali.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Damn right, "Oh, damn." No kid that age should see something like that.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

//WINCE//

Oww. Poor Atsali.

Yeah, that'd be one heck of an emotional scar/burden to carry along through the rest of your life.

This new info does seem to raise the odds that we'll see Atsali arrive at Nadette's place, adrenalin flying, saying "Are you OK???". I think she's going to be taking Pickle's worried statements about the happy-but-sad scent very seriously.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I am thinking that the look on her face from her chat with Castella ... she is thinking EXACTLY of this memory... and her smell was from WHO she was wearing, not WHAT.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I felt like that had to be involved but did not see her as being the one to find the girl. Why do i get the feeling that was the young lady that Atsali had been involved with. Her pratice buddy.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote://WINCE//
Oww. Poor Atsali.
Yeah, that'd be one heck of an emotional scar/burden to carry along through the rest of your life.
This new info does seem to raise the odds that we'll see Atsali arrive at Nadette's place, adrenalin flying, saying "Are you OK???". I think she's going to be taking Pickle's worried statements about the happy-but-sad scent very seriously.
And now we know it was suicide. I doubt she would go over though. She can simply call Berdine and find out if Nadette is ok. Maybe talk to her over the phone as well. As we know, Berdine has already talked it out with Nadette so she is up to speed on the matter.

Wonder if Atsali was close to the gone girl? Really close, that is.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote:I felt like that had to be involved but did not see her as being the one to find the girl. Why do i get the feeling that was the young lady that Atsali had been involved with. Her pratice buddy.
That could be... although Castela referred to her only as "that girl" and not by name, so they probably weren't close.

If you're right, and this girl and Atsali were close (romantically or otherwise) it would certainly have left Atsali with some very heavy emotional baggage, no matter what the reason for her suicide.

Sigh. I think somebody's going to have to say it. It might as well be someone like me, who already has a reputation of having a twisted mind and a bent sense of humor. Hit me with a nerf-cannon if you wish, I won't resist. "If this is Friday's comic, then her family name must be Cliff."
Last edited by Dave on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

That doesn't look anything like I'd expect Mr. Meadows lower half to be...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Thor

Post by Thor »

Dave wrote:This new info does seem to raise the odds that we'll see Atsali arrive at Nadette's place, adrenalin flying, saying "Are you OK???". I think she's going to be taking Pickle's worried statements about the happy-but-sad scent very seriously.
No kidding. I almost expect to see her flying (literally) through the (hopefully open) window on Monday.

It also took me a few seconds to realize (1) who Mr. Meadows was/is, and (2) that she was not seeing Mr. Meadows hanging there.

Also, it is good to have some idea of the limits of what Nadette saw and what she can and can't see. So, basically Nadette knows that Atsali+Goatboy is doomed before it starts, but it will somehow lead to Atsali's happiness, and Nadette is hoping that she is part and parcel of that happiness. Since she was able to give Atsali a wing-boner, this is not just baseless hoping, though it's not on a foundation of bedrock either.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yep.

Monday, Atsali comes barreling in yelling "Don't do it!"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

KnightDelight wrote:And now we know it was suicide. I doubt she would go over though. She can simply call Berdine and find out if Nadette is ok. Maybe talk to her over the phone as well. As we know, Berdine has already talked it out with Nadette so she is up to speed on the matter.
This is Atsali we're talking about - the girl who snatched up Katharine and tossed them straight into one of the more hair-raising adventures in comics without any hesitation. Or thought.

And that was just a spur-of-the-moment decision to head out for adventure, not a possible life-or-death situation involving someone she cares strongly about.
Wonder if Atsali was close to the gone girl? Really close, that is.
Not much closer than BFFs, since Atsali apparently had no idea what physical gratification was like.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Damn it paul just when we was going to see whats happened you pull a suicide cliff hanger.. where that pun jar its needs a update... to make comic owner pay the pun jar...when they throws us a suicide cliff hanger like that..
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(cracks knuckles)

All right, it's been said, and I'll venture forth:

How in the name of Tsillah's Dad's workplace did something like this NOT come up when Atsali was having her little adventure with Katherine??????

There's only one, somewhat logical, somewhat eyebrow-raising (and thus close to the "willing suspension of unbelief") explanation to all this:

Atsali went on that little "adventure" with Kath for the express purpose of taking a risk. And, being that she was probably only 13-14 at the time of our little flashback today, she perhaps really didn't know how to deal with what happened to this unknown little girl.

PTSD affects people differently, and at different speeds. (For another webcomic example, head over here and read forward.) The full force of her PTSD didn't hit her right away, either - and she was older when the trigger event happened.

Still: Atsali may have blocked this incident from her brain, similar to how Monica "blocked" what happened to her. But, because sirens/succubi are more resilient, perhaps especially because it was death, it didn't manifest itself immediately.

Perhaps this little girl was the reason why they "paired her off" with Castela, so that she wouldn't be alone. We have a similar policy of having boys at my facility who have attempted in the past to be bunked up with another youth.

Again - though there's a plausible explanation, I'm starting to get to the point of "really? Paul, REALLY?" with the storyline.
Last edited by jwhouk on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Jabberwonky wrote:That doesn't look anything like I'd expect Mr. Meadows lower half to be...
As Thor noted, that's not Meadows. 'Sali is calling for Meadows. This is the girl Castela referenced Thursday: "Th-the girl at the or-or-orphanage smelled like that her last night."
Try to keep up, 'kay? <veg>
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:(For another webcomic example, head over here and read forward.)
Your link got an extra "http://" at the beginning of the URL, somehow. Fixed it there.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:although Castela referred to her only as "that girl" and not by name, so they probably weren't close.
"That girl" and Castela were probably not close.

In fact, based on apparent ages, if Castela hadn't specifically referred to the smell I would doubt that she was even at the orphanage yet.

Atsali, being the one to find "that girl", would probably have some emotional damage even if they'd never met before.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
Dave wrote:although Castela referred to her only as "that girl" and not by name, so they probably weren't close.
"That girl" and Castela were probably not close.

In fact, based on apparent ages, if Castela hadn't specifically referred to the smell I would doubt that she was even at the orphanage yet.

Atsali, being the one to find "that girl", would probably have some emotional damage even if they'd never met before.
Castela is about six - or the social equivalent - and Atsali looks thirteen or so in that panel - so i'm sure Castela was there, since she got dumped there pretty early in her life.

And that bit about "her last night" may impoly that Castela was still young enough that she didn't fully comprehend what had happened at the time, and looking back it has less impact.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:(For another webcomic example, head over here and read forward.)
Your link got an extra "http://" at the beginning of the URL, somehow. Fixed it there.
Fixed it. (Bonus points if anyone guessed what I was linking to without hovering over/clicking the link.)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Sorry, dude. I read too many comics about people with too many issues to be able to guess what one someone else is mentioning just by "Character has PTSD". That would only narrow it down to about 40 or so.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.