Worried 2015-03-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Worried 2015-03-18

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
illiad wrote:I do think many or greatly over-thinking things... only pablo knows the reality...
Could be (I'm rather known for it IRL). Though it seems as though an uncomfortably high number of the commenters have experience in dealing with suicidal individuals.
A few years ago, my ex e-mailed me that a friend (who had problems with bipolar disorder, OCD and eating disorders) had finally managed to kill herself.

For a long while after that, i couldn't read Questionable Content because tall, slender, blonde and cute OCD-sufferer Hannelore reminded me all too much of Kim...

(Oddly, it just hit me as i set up that link that i often gave Kim rides to 12-step meetings - which, sadly, never seemed to help - kind of the reverse of Hanners' agreeing to accompany Faye to her first such.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
illiad wrote:I do think many or greatly over-thinking things... only pablo knows the reality...
Could be (I'm rather known for it IRL). Though it seems as though an uncomfortably high number of the commenters have experience in dealing with suicidal individuals.
A few years ago, my ex e-mailed me that a friend (who had problems with bipolar disorder, OCD and eating disorders) had finally managed to kill herself.

For a long while after that, i couldn't read Questionable Content because tall, slender, blonde and cute OCD-sufferer Hannelore reminded me all too much of Kim...

(Oddly, it just hit me as i set up that link that i often gave Kim rides to 12-step meetings - which, sadly, never seemed to help - kind of the reverse of Hanners' agreeing to accompany Faye to her first such.)
Yeesh. The current developments over in Northampton have to be hitting you hard, then.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
Also to me its very interesting that it seems a high number of us are ex-military that seem to have had to deal with that. Perhaps because we met and worked with such a diversified group of people under some high stress situations?
And the Military Brats from the Vietnam Era had suicide and alcoholism rates that were terrifyingly similar to combat vets, for reasons still not fully understood at this time, but undoubtedly linked to the high rotation rate employed in that era. My personal record was in eighth grade, when I registered for 4 schools in 4 towns and actually got to attend just 2 of them between moves. Now dependants are moved no more than every 3-5 years by DoD rules (which I understand are mostly followed)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I've had suicide touch my family three times. Two of those were successful. One wasn't, but my brother was taken to the hospital in time. The others were our nephews on Dad's side. One was off his meds, and the other was diagnosed with chemical balance too late. My brother was deep in depression, from our parent's passing, and medical bills piling up from kidney disease. Then, due to many days lost from his hospital stays, his boss had to let him go the same day his doctors said he needed to go on disability. He was always a nose to the grindstone type, so being told he couldn't work was the first hit of a one-two punch. The next morning, he dialed his insulin pen up full, and pressed it into his abdomen. His daughter, four years old at the time, found him passed out by his bed, and ran to her mom, saying she couldn't wake him up. After getting worked over in ER, he spent a week and a half in Psychiatric. It's been about three years now, and he's determined to never be that low ever again. "I hated that my baby was the one who found me first. It could have messed her up for the rest of her life." And he realized that the only way to get through his run of bad things, was to get back up on his feet and move forward.

He also said, "It was an amazing experience, watching Loony Tunes with real Loonies!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Whooo. :shock:

Kudos to your brother, kingklash, for having the guts to fight his way back!

I haven't been through an actual, formal suicide watch, but I've helped my wife get through some periods of very deep depression and thoughts of suicide (the first couple of months after her cancer diagnosis were the worst). She had to struggle, hard, to find a way to believe that the battle to survive would be worth it, and to choose to keep on living. Toughest battle I've ever fought, and the one I'm most grateful has turned out OK so far.

So, when Paul put this one up for auction, I had to buy it and frame it. It spoke to me, more than a little.

As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know. Sorta like what Susan Ivanova said... "I've buried so many people, Stephen. I'm starting to resent it."
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I'm still not sure I get it. I would think Nadette's odor was actually on Atsali's person. Of course, some of it would probably transfer to her clothes as well. I guess the remainder would simply wash off in the shower. But even if it did, why would Castella think it could be only on a person's clothes and removed from the person by simply taking off the clothes? I mean, if the person was in this happy-sad state, it might wash off somewhat in the shower, but it would come right back afterwards. I don't know, maybe that's why she is asking Atsali about it, she's as confused as I am.
Dave wrote: As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know. Sorta like what Susan Ivanova said... "I've buried so many people, Stephen. I'm starting to resent it."
Which is why, the older I get, the more I distance my self from the rest of the world and the people in it. Relatives and friends alike. Burn those bridges!
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:
Dave wrote:As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know. Sorta like what Susan Ivanova said... "I've buried so many people, Stephen. I'm starting to resent it."
Which is why, the older I get, the more I distance my self from the rest of the world and the people in it. Relatives and friends alike. Burn those bridges!
Which is why i'm a city boy at heart - i can have people all around me so i don't feel completely isolated, but i don't have to actually pay attention to 'em if i don't want to.

(Or they have a gun.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

KnightDelight wrote:I'm still not sure I get it. I would think Nadette's odor was actually on Atsali's person. Of course, some of it would probably transfer to her clothes as well. I guess the remainder would simply wash off in the shower. But even if it did, why would Castella think it could be only on a person's clothes and removed from the person by simply taking off the clothes? I mean, if the person was in this happy-sad state, it might wash off somewhat in the shower, but it would come right back afterwards. I don't know, maybe that's why she is asking Atsali about it, she's as confused as I am.
Dave wrote: As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know. Sorta like what Susan Ivanova said... "I've buried so many people, Stephen. I'm starting to resent it."
Castela is VERY young.... and after a good shower, it takes a LONG time for the 'body scent' to build up... she is a girl, not a big sweaty male... :D
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

KnightDelight wrote:I'm still not sure I get it. I would think Nadette's odor was actually on Atsali's person. Of course, some of it would probably transfer to her clothes as well. I guess the remainder would simply wash off in the shower. But even if it did, why would Castella think it could be only on a person's clothes and removed from the person by simply taking off the clothes? I mean, if the person was in this happy-sad state, it might wash off somewhat in the shower, but it would come right back afterwards. I don't know, maybe that's why she is asking Atsali about it, she's as confused as I am...
Based on what you said, I submit the following:

-Sad/happy Nadette exudes 'smell' upon Atsali during close contact.

- Atsali gets clothed, clothes pick up 'smell'. (Or Nadette hugs Atsali before they part...)

- Atsali goes home.

- Pickle smells 'smell'.

- Atsali washes and changes into fresh clothing.

- Atsali gets in bed to read, Pickle (Castela) cant sleep and comes to talk about her concerns.
Last edited by TazManiac on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

TazManiac wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:I'm still not sure I get it. I would think Nadette's odor was actually on Atsali's person. Of course, some of it would probably transfer to her clothes as well. I guess the remainder would simply wash off in the shower. But even if it did, why would Castella think it could be only on a person's clothes and removed from the person by simply taking off the clothes? I mean, if the person was in this happy-sad state, it might wash off somewhat in the shower, but it would come right back afterwards. I don't know, maybe that's why she is asking Atsali about it, she's as confused as I am...
Based on what you said, I submit the following:
-Sad/happy Naddette exudes 'smell' upon Atsali during close contact.
- Atsali gets clothed, clothes pick up 'smell'. (Or Naddette hugs Atsali before they part...)
- Atsali goes home.
- Pickle smells 'smell'.
- Atsali washes and changes into fresh clothing.
- Atsali gets in bed to read, Pickle (Castela) cant sleep and comes to talk about her concerns.
Yeah, I guess hugging someone would be a way to pick up the odor on one's clothes. So it would not be all that unusual for Castella to come to the conclusion that it was on Atsali's clothes and not a part of her person since she didn't smell that way now. So I guess her point in telling Atsali about it is to inform her that someone she knows is in that happy-sad state. A state she may consider potentially fatal. But that point is, as yet, unclear.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

oldmanmickey wrote:Also to me its very interesting that it seems a high number of us are ex-military that seem to have had to deal with that. Perhaps because we met and worked with such a diversified group of people under some high stress situations?
I've talked people out of suicide twice and seen suicides twice, but the closest I have to personally knowing somebody was a man whom I knew, lost track of for many years, and then heard about him killing himself. Three of the first four had never had anything to do with military life. The fifth killed himself because of the chronic after-effects of being hit by an RPG years earlier.

I can't say that I've ever been in a situation where somebody who I was actively associating with on a regular basis did it.
illiad wrote:aaaaand did any work with orphanage kids who have not yet grasped grammar, and have experienced the 'loss' when one of their friends get a new home ???
Well, I was an orphan and over the years interacted with many other orphans. Not the sort who get adopted into loving families, though.
Dave wrote:As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know.
I think that there may also be something of a social shift involved. It used to be that people simply didn't mention friends or family members who had mental issues, who committed suicide, who had unapproved sexual orientations, whatever. This made it seem as though there was much less of that sort of thing going on. Now society is becoming more open and accepting of that sort of thing, and information sharing is getting easier. Plus people are less geographically isolated, so we can casually interact with more people than we could in previous years.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:As to why so many of us seem to have shared this sort of experience to one degree or another... well, there's a lot of it out there, most of us seem to be in the older age ranges, and if we live long enough there's plenty of time for bad/difficult/painful stuff to happen in the lives of those we know.
I think that there may also be something of a social shift involved. It used to be that people simply didn't mention friends or family members who had mental issues, who committed suicide, who had unapproved sexual orientations, whatever. This made it seem as though there was much less of that sort of thing going on. Now society is becoming more open and accepting of that sort of thing, and information sharing is getting easier.
I think you're right, there. My parents divorced back in '65 or so, and for the longest time I thought my brothers and I were part of the only "divorced family" around. The whole subject wasn't discussed in our school and social circles, at all.

To complicate things, at the time, the state in which we lived had no concept of a "no fault" or "irreconcilable differences" divorce. Divorces would be granted only "for cause", if one party alleged mistreatment (abandonment or cruelty). Neither of my parents was willing to do this to the other. Dad had to fly out-of-state to file... and although the divorce was legal, it might have prevented him from ever actually being re-married in our state.

It took my brothers and me a long time to learn that we weren't "the only ones" and how to talk about the situation with people.

For all the turmoil that social shift has caused over the past decades, I think things are definitely better now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

In the words of Jeff Goldblum, "Boy, do I hate being right all the time."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

groaaaannn...
Catawampus wrote:
illiad wrote:aaaaand did anyone recently work with orphanage kids who have not yet grasped grammar, and have experienced the 'loss' when one of their friends get a new home ???
Well, I was an orphan and over the years interacted with many other orphans. Not the sort who get adopted into loving families, though.
ok fixed it... :/:/:/ ( If you ARE that kid, well I can understand more.... {{ sends big hugs.. :) }}