Worried 2015-03-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Worried 2015-03-18

Post by Thor »

LINK

I have no idea what is going on in this comic. Someone want to take a crack at it?
Last edited by Thor on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Worried 2015-03-07

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Date cancelled
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Castela could smell Nadette on Atsali?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

No - i think Castela is smelling Atsali's clothes.

The ones that talked.

And the reference to how the "girl at the orphanage smelled like that her last night" sounds ominous to me.

Not like she got adopted.

Like she left another and much more final way.

...and if Atsali thinks that the scent Castela picked up came from Nadette ... might she be a bit worried by the similarity? Especially if the girl at the orphanage was upset about a relationship?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

She is smelling the pheromones from Nadette's emotions. I would strongly suspect this girl she spoke of had later committed suicide. I also think that she knows this was from someone else since she did note that Atsali no longer smelled this way. Strong chance she also knows it is Nadette since they have met and pheromone combinations would tend to be rather unique. In other words "hey big sis i am giving you a chance to save your friends life so you don't have to carry the burden of her death around the rest of your life, now move it."

To paraphrase pickle from a previous statement, "Sometimes you got to speak softly or like a child to make grownups listen."
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Date cancelled
Not to worry Sarge you will get another date, i believe you said you were married didn't you?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:Castela could smell Nadette on Atsali?
That's my guess, too.

The "happy and sad, her last night" could be innocent... a girl happy to be adopted and going to a new home, sad to be leaving her orphanage friends.

Or, it could be terribly ominous... happy for some reason, then a terribly-sad-making disappointment, and then gone... suicide?

Nadette may be in much worse emotional shape than we had thought from her tears. Realizing that Atsali really isn't into her... or concluding that she may have overstepped bounds and violated Atsali's trust and lost her friendship... may be pushing this young ursamorph into a really dangerous depression.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Also note that Castela is back to her normal corrugated self... She's upset too... and its obvious that whatever Castela is talking about that Atsali "gets it" and its not good. I do believe that an excursion is warranted.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
That's my guess, too.

The "happy and sad, her last night" could be innocent... a girl happy to be adopted and going to a new home, sad to be leaving her orphanage friends.

Or, it could be terribly ominous... happy for some reason, then a terribly-sad-making disappointment, and then gone... suicide?

Nadette may be in much worse emotional shape than we had thought from her tears. Realizing that Atsali really isn't into her... or concluding that she may have overstepped bounds and violated Atsali's trust and lost her friendship... may be pushing this young ursamorph into a really dangerous depression.
I think i said something like that, if a bit more obliquely.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Yamara

Re: Worried 2015-03-18

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
That's my guess, too.
Almost goes without saying.
Dave wrote:The "happy and sad, her last night" could be innocent... a girl happy to be adopted and going to a new home, sad to be leaving her orphanage friends.

Pickle is being so "strategic" I have to wonder if she's using the poetic third-person to refer to Atsali herself as the "girl at the orphanage... her last night". Castela reached out to a profoundly happy-and-sad Atsali the night they were adopted; there's a non-zero chance suicide was on her mind then too. She was certainly trying to find the will to push Castela permanently away.

The scent is all Nadette, though. An unrequited passion for Atsali is just the living symbol of the burden seers all suffer with. Few prophets in myth (or in universe) manage to remain sane, and even fewer (in myth) end up happy. Atsali has her work cut out for her, as strategy isn't very effective on someone who can see it coming.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I think i said something like that, if a bit more obliquely.
Very similar conclusions, yes. I started hunt'n'peck writing on my iPad before your comments had posted, I think, so our messages crossed in the mail.

Change of subject: in the last panel in today's strip, we seem to be looking out a large, old-style decorative window behind Atsali, and seeing an old-style store-marquee sign with incandescent light bulbs inside the letters.

Am I correct? If so, does anyone familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul recognize the "sign near an arched window" and maybe could suggest where the Gilchrist loft may be located?

Yamara wrote:Almost goes without saying.
Like the cars in Dictionopolis :)
Atsali has her work cut out for her, as strategy isn't very effective on someone who can see it coming.
Perhaps honesty, and caring friendship might serve better than strategy?
Last edited by Dave on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:Change of subject: in the last panel in today's strip, we seem to be looking out a large, old-style decorative window behind Atsali, and seeing an old-style store-marquee sign with incandescent light bulbs inside the letters.

Am I correct? If so, does anyone familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul recognize the "sign near an arched window" and maybe could suggest where the Gilchrist loft may be located?
I was about to ask why the background switched to Everytown 2036 from Things to Come.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"Happy and Sad." Yeah, that set my edges on edge. For those who've watched M*A*S*H, think about what Sidney had said on one of his visits to the 4077. His patient who was severely depressed for some time. One session, he was forward, calm, and very confident. "It usually means they have come to a decision," Sidney said. The decision was Suicide.

Emotions have an effect on body chemistry, and Castela's plant half most likely allows her to be almost a full-body chemical detector, so a particular mix of emotions must have strongly registered at the Orphanage as a unique odor. We still don't know what went down between when Lily caught up with Atsali and Nadette, and when Katherine came for the pick up. Like others, I'm thinking the sad was what 'Dette left behind on Atsali's body, not her clothes. There needs to be a long talk amongst the Teen Mythic-Girl Squad (tm) about what Atsali's Life has been up until Cubs, Princesses, and Mermaids got together.

/although, it may boil down to Atsali giving everyone the URL to the Wapsi archives and saying, "See you in a few months."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, time for a wellness check...

(Where is the other twin?)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

The girl on her last night at the Orphanage. I'm trying to imagine how soul crushing it would be to be an orphan an think you were about to be adopted, then have that hope snatched away at the last minute. Which is basically what just happened to Nadette.

What none of, Nadette included, realized about Atsali is that her ancestry makes physical acts that would only be appropriate between close lovers among most of us seem like casual friendly contact to Atsali.

There have been plenty of comments to the effect of "is she really this dense?"

No, but both of her parent species apparently view sexual and intimate contact as no more significant than a handshake. It would explain why Atsali was only mildly embarrassed when she almost lost control with Burdine.

'Sali knows it's wrong from an intellectual standpoint, but he hard wired instincts make it impossible to take too seriously

Which leads to poor Nadette. She's been throwing herself at Atsali repeatedly and hadn't been rebuffed. Nadette took it as mutual attraction, Atsali took it as something like friendly teasing.

Over the course of the day, Nadette got more and more bold, and Atsali didn't back her off. Nadette took this as acceptance of her advances and a sign that Atsali saw her the same was. Nadette was happy.

Then Grandma Lily intervened, and Nadette realized Atsali isn't interested in a romantic relationship with her, she's just a siren/incubuss hybrid who sees such things as casual signs of friendship.

I think Nadette is in a very dark place right now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

kingklash wrote:"Happy and Sad." Yeah, that set my edges on edge. For those who've watched M*A*S*H, think about what Sidney had said on one of his visits to the 4077. His patient who was severely depressed for some time. One session, he was forward, calm, and very confident. "It usually means they have come to a decision," Sidney said. The decision was Suicide.
in my time in the Navy, I've had to stand Drunk Watch a few times when someone got SO hammered that they had a very high risk of dying while asleep, and had to be constantly watched to make sure they didn't die... i however, am glad that i have never been needed to stand Suicide Watch... it's exactly what it sounds like... and unfortunately this sounds like one time that it may be needed for Nadette...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

oooohhhh Shitballs!! Atsali, get your patootie to Nadette, if possible with Kat. Tumbleweed's nose smells trouble.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

scantrontb wrote:i however, am glad that i have never been needed to stand Suicide Watch... it's exactly what it sounds like...
I've stood that watch. In fact my wife, our youngest daughter, and I collectively stood that watch for four or five days before we felt that we could relax.

I think it would be miserable under the best of circumstances. But if you care enough to volunteer for the job, whatever triggered the need probably has you feeling somewhat ripped up yourself. Which isn't the best of circumstances. And it was certainly true in our case.

Drunk watch probably isn't going to last 24 hours; you aren't trying to patch the subject's mind, heart, or soul back together, you're just making sure their body doesn't die; and when the subject starts seeming coherent and functional, it's about over. Suicide watch isn't that easy. It can last for days or weeks, until the mind heart and soul ARE at least somewhat patched up; and when the subject seems coherent and functional is when the task is most difficult.

May all of you be spared the need...
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

scantrontb wrote:
kingklash wrote:"Happy and Sad." Yeah, that set my edges on edge. For those who've watched M*A*S*H, think about what Sidney had said on one of his visits to the 4077. His patient who was severely depressed for some time. One session, he was forward, calm, and very confident. "It usually means they have come to a decision," Sidney said. The decision was Suicide.
in my time in the Navy, I've had to stand Drunk Watch a few times when someone got SO hammered that they had a very high risk of dying while asleep, and had to be constantly watched to make sure they didn't die... i however, am glad that i have never been needed to stand Suicide Watch... it's exactly what it sounds like... and unfortunately this sounds like one time that it may be needed for Nadette...
Never a fun thing. And, yes, the suddenly overly happy, just before the attempt, sounds familiar.

Never did the drunk watch.

Oh, the things you learn to do in the military, that you really can't put on a job application.

I think this was the Clue-by-four that finally cracked things open. Who would have thought that someone bird-boned, would have that thick of a scull?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This is the clue-by-four Sali needed to realize what Kathy was talking about when she cautioned Sali about Nadette. The happy-sad is probably referring to how Sali felt after the adventure before Kathy showed up at the orphange.

This is the Mystic Pickle talking to Sali. Spirit guide to Sali on her version quest to find love.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.