So Bent 2015-03-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: So Bent 2015-03-17

Post by Sgt. Howard »

eee wrote:Wisdom, psychological torment, and cookie kleptomania from the youngest sister. A typical day at the Gilchrist house.

I *am* intrigued by Castela's comment about boys smelling 'funny'. I wonder how acute her sense of smell is. She could detect the aftermath of Atsali's first wet dream; her plant senses may be extremely sharp.
Trees smell rain... before it comes. Plants are far more aware of the weather than any meteorologist. As smell is a chemical reaction to chemical stimuli (and it is the primary sense a plant has), I would say plant probably can out sniff a bloodhound.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:How did she get those, her hands never got anywhere near Cleveland...
That is why she may have brought the cookies with her! Unless Sali has a hammer space pocket for cookies there it is unlikely she had time to stash any prior to the conversation with Kathy. It would be just like Pickle to make it look like Sali did have them there though.

How Pickle got them close is she probably had them hidden inside herself. Pickle is a plant and only appears to be fully human on the surface. Growing up with sibs I know the rule is: If one is embarrassed easily by something, that embarrassment will be hammered on by the other sibs until you get over it, die, or become a hermit.
Cleveland..?? or is the 'age' missing??? :P :)

I am sure she reached quickly for the kitchen cupboard as she came in and stashed the cookies quickly... :) :)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Castela even looks like a small, smart-alec version of Bud, in that first panel... :lol:
Yep. Just like i said about Panel One yesterday.
I know... I was essentially reiterating and confirming...

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Though saying "smart-alec" and "Bud" together is generally redundqnt.
You're probably right. Redundant, even... :P ;)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I thought Castela was messing with her, but I did not anticipate it was all to get Atsali to bend over because she wanted to get at Cleavage Cookies ! :lol:
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:How did she get those, her hands never got anywhere near Cleveland...

Cleveland..?? or is the 'age' missing??? :P :)

I am sure she reached quickly for the kitchen cupboard as she came in and stashed the cookies quickly... :) :)
No Cleveland works. The city is on both side of a river between two bluffs. There are also deep dark places in the flats by the river. Also at times the river did catch on fire.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

zachariah wrote: No Cleveland works. The city is on both side of a river between two bluffs. There are also deep dark places in the flats by the river. Also at times the river did catch on fire.
There's a joke there, but I refuse to touch it.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Right... because they took a left turn at Albakoikee.... LOL

*tosses a well used 1944 Michelin roadmap of Europe in the pun jar*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Is anyone else squeeing over just how absofreaking adorable pickle is?
I kept going back to the pinup of her braiding her sisters hair to todays and noticing the change. She's just too cute for her own good.

BTW, it's not so much that she was pushing buttons, but she was letting her know she understands both why and what the limits are, and that she learned about off kilter humour. Ending it on a hug and a joke were to show her sister what she's learned. Hopefully a lot of thinking will be done, and perhaps teatime with little sis is in order.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I think that - unknown to Atsali - her attempt to cover up her new Chatty Boobs™ by claiming it was a new Library comm system was closer to the facts than she realised..

Somehow, an L-space portal has taken up residence in her VSC, and right now, Phix is staring bemusedly at the empty spot on her desk where she was keeping her supply of rewards for clever children.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Little Tumblyweed has that knack for sp(r)outing Wisdom at the right moments, then going back to Kid Logic before the older ones catch on.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, about that- there likely a physiological change brought on by puberty that makes them (boys) not smell right yet, and her not 'smell them right', at least not till she grows up a great deal more.

I'd assume, when she gets more like that picture that Paul drew of a (was it 17 year old?) Castela, wait...

Image <--- (linky no workee, lets try another...)

well, as at least a partial plant, I'd assume she'd be able to express a flora perfume, perhaps even one tailor-made for a given situation.

heh heh, assisted, (er, make that) assaulted by a mugger?, stinkweed, indeed... (shtupid auto-correction...)

*[initially] posted from the phone, hope the link works*

Man!, that post sure needs the blue pencil... edits ensuing.
(bit more corrected vi 'real' computer...)
Last edited by TazManiac on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:
zachariah wrote: No Cleveland works. The city is on both side of a river between two bluffs. There are also deep dark places in the flats by the river. Also at times the river did catch on fire.
There's a joke there, but I refuse to touch it.

...and yet it SOOOO begs to be touched...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:
Right... because they took a left turn at Albakoikee.... LOL

*tosses a well used 1944 Michelin roadmap of Europe in the pun jar*
Remember, her humanoid form is largely a matter of convenience and convention. She's a bit like the ursamorphs in that respect. She could have extended a thorny tendril or two to search for, and then remove the cleavage package.

You could say that she's a bit like Nadette in another way - she's a bit of a Seer. She de-vined the cookies.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Thor wrote:Okay, so Pickle did not set up the bomb.
She did, however, artfully set up the freckled bombshell.
shadowinthelight wrote:Not as good as fresh baked but at least cleavage cookies should be warm.
For all we know, Atsali could have a full array of baking equipment and supplies stashed away in there.
TazManiac wrote:My first thought was Castela was doing some sort of slight of hand, Atsali always acts like she didn't even know they where there...
Perhaps she forgot what all she had stored in there. I've seen women often enough be surprised by what they find lurking in their purses.
eee wrote:I *am* intrigued by Castela's comment about boys smelling 'funny'. I wonder how acute her sense of smell is. She could detect the aftermath of Atsali's first wet dream; her plant senses may be extremely sharp.
Some plants are very sensitive to certain pheromones or other chemical stimuli. Who knows how Castela's sense of smell works, or how what she detects smells to her?

I'm not sure about castela plants or blackthorns, but I do recall that acacias are one of the types that is very responsive to pheromones. . .
DinkyInky wrote:Is anyone else squeeing over just how absofreaking adorable pickle is?
I kept going back to the pinup of her braiding her sisters hair to todays and noticing the change. She's just too cute for her own good.
She's also likely to be quite dangerous to the boys when she gets older, in similar and in different ways than her sister is. . .
TazManiac wrote:Yeah, about that- there likely a physiological change brought on by puberty that makes them (boys) not smell right yet, and her not 'smell them right', at least not till she grows up a great deal more.
Given her heritage and unique biological status, it could be that she'll never show any interest in boys. Or in girls. Or in anybody, in that way. Or she might fall into a romantic subplot involving a sunflower.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Not as good as fresh baked but at least cleavage cookies should be warm.
For all we know, Atsali could have a full array of baking equipment and supplies stashed away in there.
I was sorta wondering whether the appearance of the cleavage cookies was an omen, suggesting that the boy on the phone was a descendant of Ginger Baker. I suppose we'll know if we ever see him in a color sketch and learn he's a redhead.
captnq

Post by captnq »

1. De-vine? Kill that pun. Kill it with fire.

2. You know, the boobs of holding is a okay gag, but frankly, I think it's been done to death.

3. Anyone notice how Pickle is showing up more and more as a "normal" human?

4. As for pickle's sexuality, for reasons of storyline, and also for IC reasons, I suspect what will happen is one day (if the writer decides to go that route), she will simply enter a cocoon (either actual or metaphorical) and blossom overnight. Sort of like what they do with babies on Soap Operas. Baby is on camera for a while. Baby goes away. Kid shows up for a while. Kid goes to Boarding School. Kid comes back a sassy 18 year old ready to get involved with the non-stop drama. Total elapsed time, usually about 2-4 years.

In a comic, they don't have child labor laws, so you don't have the same imperative to invoke Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome, but we do have bizarre alien biology, and frankly, cute kids get dull after a while.

Of course it doesn't have to be 6 to 16 overnight. Might simply be every spring she "grows a new ring" and shoots up about 4-5 years. So, sometime in spring, she ages to "Noticing Boys" 10-ish, but looks young and awkward, then the following spring, bright and perky "14 year old" tom-boy. (I think she'd go through a tom-boy phase. She seems the type. Just saying.) Etc etc etc.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:It must be because I am an only child, but I really don't understand why siblings torment each other like this. A little playful joshing, sure, but most of the time it looks like one step away from open warfare.
There are those that would argue that it's competition for resources, and those that woulld argue it's akin to puppies or kittens play fighting.

And then there are those of us with siblings.
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Castella, to 'Sali's chagrin
pushed her buttons and dodged with a grin
then confessed it all scam
hugged her boobies and ran
with cookies she had found therein!

- my older brother and I were each other's primary nemesis growing up- in truth, we still don't get along. I am 60 and he is 62... two completely different people with little in common except history.
Pick a song tune to go with that and you've got the first filk song for Wapsi Square!
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Pick a song tune to go with that and you've got the first filk song for Wapsi Square!
Not quite the first. If I ever get to a Con when Paul has a booth, and can somehow recruit a few other Wapsis for an impromptu barbershop quartet... then things might get interesting. Or horrifying (that's if I actually sing, of course.)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Castella, to 'Sali's chagrin
pushed her buttons and dodged with a grin
then confessed it all scam
hugged her boobies and ran
with cookies she had found therein!

- my older brother and I were each other's primary nemesis growing up- in truth, we still don't get along. I am 60 and he is 62... two completely different people with little in common except history.
Pick a song tune to go with that and you've got the first filk song for Wapsi Square!
The first verse of the ballad of cleavage cookies, i like
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long