A Boy Calling 2015-03-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

A Boy Calling 2015-03-12

Post by Thor »

LINK

A further complication? That's just what we needed! :roll:

And the good news is that no one seems like they are ready to gather a mob with torches to go and tar and feather Nadette--due in no small part to the fact that Atsali was all "Whatevs!" about the catsuit incident.

The bad news is that this boy on the phone is almost certainly Jacob, and unless he's calling to cancel, he'll be the cause of ore pain for Nadette.
GlytchMeister

Re: A Boy Calling 2015-03-12

Post by GlytchMeister »

Somebody mentioned that sirens can shrug off romantic affection or that Atsali was doing so partly due to her siren nature. I can't remember who, but they get a cookie.

Ugh. This is a bad time for stuff to be added in. I already mentioned this issue was like staring too closely at a fractal. Adding more elements to the story will just make the thing into a three-dimentional fractal.
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Thor

Post by Thor »

The parenting class mention is a nice touch. Since Kath is over 20 years away from childhood, I was wondering how she was able to dredge up such good parenting skills out of the blue. And the fact that they have a supernatural bent helps explain how she has managed to keep body and soul together over the last few months.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Somebody mentioned that sirens can shrug off romantic affection or that Atsali was doing so partly due to her siren nature. I can't remember who, but they get a cookie.

Ugh. This is a bad time for stuff to be added in. I already mentioned this issue was like staring too closely at a fractal. Adding more elements to the story will just make the thing into a three-dimensional fractal.
... fractals AREN'T three dimensional...?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:Somebody mentioned that sirens can shrug off romantic affection or that Atsali was doing so partly due to her siren nature. I can't remember who, but they get a cookie.

Ugh. This is a bad time for stuff to be added in. I already mentioned this issue was like staring too closely at a fractal. Adding more elements to the story will just make the thing into a three-dimentional fractal.
Kid, haven't you seen the Omnibus? This is like storyline #279!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... fractals AREN'T three dimensional...?
Ehhh... As best as I understand it:

Well, the classic Mandelbrot Set isn't really 3-D. It's just a rediculously complicated 2-D image.

Well, strictly speaking, it's a kind of 2.5-D, the added .5th dimension being "roughness"... Sorta. Look, it's spacey-wasey, ok?

A three dimensional fractal would be like a sphere with a bunch of smaller spheres budding off of it, and each one of those has a bunch of smaller spheres, and then those spheres have more spheres...

But it's not exactly 3-D, no is it? More like 3.5-D... Or something. Maybe 3.7? Or 3.55? Because it's rough... But along three different axis!

[insert twilight zone theme song here]
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Kid, haven't you seen the Omnibus? This is like storyline #279!
Well, I meant this particular storyline is turning into a 3.5-D fractal.

All of Wapsi Square is an entirely different universe, infinitely large, infinitely complex and beautiful and fun and COOL. Also magic.

Because all universes that contain nice people are cool, that's why.
I'm too much!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

I guess we are in for an "Ohmygod! I'm late for my date" moment. And it will be the Friday Cliffhanger.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Good for her. Even if Kath was an experienced mother, classes would still be a good idea when raising a different species.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:The parenting class mention is a nice touch. Since Kath is over 20 years away from childhood, I was wondering how she was able to dredge up such good parenting skills out of the blue. And the fact that they have a supernatural bent helps explain how she has managed to keep body and soul together over the last few months.
If Wapsi Time is contemporaneous with our own time, then Katherine is something like thirty years away from Atsali's age.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Have some 3D Mandelbrot derivatives:

...and then there's this one:

...which was generated with this software (which i plan to download and check out).
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

So Atsali is oblivious to Nadette's amorous intentions, and there is a boy on the phone. Ready for round 2?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:insert 3-D Mandelbrot derivatives here
:shock: :o :cry: :D

I either want those to be made in a videogame or I want a planet to be terra formed into that, just so I can explore them.

Those.
Are.
EPIC!

The first two look like Scanning Electron Microscope images of super-cool-as-crap things, and the last one needs to be put into Minecraft. It just has to. Before the month is out, I need that seed.
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

This is starting to sound like a soap opera, "as the stomach turns"
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Thor

Post by Thor »

oldmanmickey wrote:This is starting to sound like a soap opera, "as the stomach turns"
"Starting to"?

The interpersonal drama has been going on for longer than the supernatural stuff has!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:insert 3-D Mandelbrot derivatives here
:shock: :o :cry: :D

I either want those to be made in a videogame or I want a planet to be terra formed into that, just so I can explore them.
Heh. Have you read Alan Dean Foster's Sentenced to Prism, about a corporate troubleshooter sent to a world where all life has fractal extensions into other dimensions (as i recall it - i read it thirty years ago) - a world which the Corporation he works for is planning illegally exploit?

===========

The third reminds me of Roger Dean's cover for Yes's Yessongs:

or Roger Dean's art in general:

Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:... fractals AREN'T three dimensional...?
Ehhh... As best as I understand it:

Well, the classic Mandelbrot Set isn't really 3-D. It's just a rediculously complicated 2-D image.

Well, strictly speaking, it's a kind of 2.5-D, the added .5th dimension being "roughness"... Sorta. Look, it's spacey-wasey, ok?

A three dimensional fractal would be like a sphere with a bunch of smaller spheres budding off of it, and each one of those has a bunch of smaller spheres, and then those spheres have more spheres...

But it's not exactly 3-D, no is it? More like 3.5-D... Or something. Maybe 3.7? Or 3.55? Because it's rough... But along three different axis!

[insert twilight zone theme song here]
Well, yeah, fractals are so named because they have a dimensionality expressed as a fraction. But a plane set doesn't suddenly jump out of 2D, just like a linear set doesn't jump out of 1D. But a curve, now …

For a fractal curve, this dimension might be log(3)/log(2), or if you like, log₂ (3). Not that log₂ (3)D isn't still a mouthful.

But the boundary of the Mandelbrot set, this fraction turns out to be integral, equal to 2. Yup, the circumference of the Mandelbrot set has the same dimensionality as the set itself. That's kinda like saying, if you could draw a Mandelbrot set on a sheet of paper, both its area and its circumference could be measured in square inches!

There is really nothing special about a plane figure being 2D. Most of them are. But for a circumference to be 2D – that's notable. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Qivittoq89

Post by Qivittoq89 »

"Be careful with her." Be careful with her how? Like in the "She's taking advantage of our friendship" be careful or the "You're blind to what she's feeling, don't hurt her" be careful? Aargh, my head hurts...
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

Ugh. This is a bad time for stuff to be added in. I already mentioned this issue was like staring too closely at a fractal. Adding more elements to the story will just make the thing into a three-dimensional fractal.
... fractals AREN'T three dimensional...?
well , only because humans cannot see ALL ELEVEN dimensions!!!...

But remember, Mandelbrot is only a tiny section of fractals... there's Sierpinski, koch.... and more...

http://3dprint.com/50133/3d-printed-fractals-2/

Last edited by illiad on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Kudos to Kath for not flying off the handle and judging the situation with incomplete information. Still... that contrite look on Atsali's face today and yesterday's search for the truth... I still say she may not be as oblivious as she lets on.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.