More Complicated 2015-03-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

More Complicated 2015-03-10

Post by DilyV »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/more-complicated-2/

Oh noes!! Now I wanna cry for poor Nadette....
Last edited by DilyV on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Thor

Re: More Complicated 2015-03-10

Post by Thor »

Yeah, that's not a good sign for Nadette.

LINKY

------------

By the way, this is the second comic to be titled "More Complicated". The first on is one that I didn't even remember --> here.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Make that three crying softly for Nadette.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
captnq

Post by captnq »

Yeah. Saw this one coming.

Atsali has been showing zero interest. That's got to hurt.
Man, this brings back memories.
Painful memories.
Agonizingly painful memories.

As they say in Night Vale:

I'm going focus on the end of that bit of advice. L8r
Last edited by captnq on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thor

Post by Thor »

DilyV wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/more-complicated-2/

Oh noes!! Now I wanna cry for poor Nadette....
Now the question is, why is Nadette crying? It could be because Atsali flipped out on her, or because Atsali said "I don't like you like that", or it could be completely unrelated and Mr. Taylor is just trying to fake us out.

In any event, for those of you who were thinking of Nadette as the calculating genius oracular puppetmaster, that theory looks shot to hell.

And what's really confusing is Atsali's complete lack of expression. Is she watching TV or something? :|
captnq

Post by captnq »

On the upside, I always like more Katherine.
Anyrate, night y'all
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Someone who isn't directly involved here needs to talk to Nadette - Monica? Nudge? Suzi? Phix? Eurayle?

One of the above, who takes her to Mucho Mocha?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:And what's really confusing is Atsali's complete lack of expression. Is she watching TV or something? :|
Shock? BSOD?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Wha' happen between Then and Now?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Or is one in a state of shock and cant say anything and the other is crying because she thinks its rejection
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Thor

Post by Thor »

captnq wrote:Yeah. Saw this one coming.

Atsali has been showing zero interest. That's got to hurt.
That's not quite true. Atsali did go all wing boner for Nadette near the beginning of this romp. And as I've detailed several times, there was never either the right time or enough time for Atsali to respond.

And we still don't know for sure if she did respond, and if so exactly how she responded. It seems like the most likely impetus for Nadette to be crying is being shot down, but it's not the only reasonable possibility, and a head-fake by a webcartoonist is nearly a truism.

Also Lily's response is really quite roundabout and convoluted when you look at it.

Kath's question is pretty straightforward: "But she didn't hurt anyone, right?" If Atsali had simply told Nadette the score, Lily's obvious reply would be something like "Just some hurt feelings" or "Nothing physical, but she had to yell at her friend for crossing her boundaries" or "Not unless you count a broken heart".

However, Lily's actual response--"She didn't directly set out to hurt anyone. I think it's much more complicated than that..."--is rather peculiar. First off, it's laden down with a lot of weasel words and qualifiers. "Anyone"? Why not just say Nadette? They were introduced, and I'm sure Kath knows Atsali's friends by name. "Directly"? What is that word even doing in there? "I think"? Did the incident not happen in front of you? If so, did you see hidden layers of meaning? "Much more complicated"? So it's not just a simple rebuff of affection? Does Atsali have hidden agendas? Plans within plans? Concealed motives? Is she putting up a facade? What exactly could be so convoluted about the situation that a 5000-year-old vampire can't sum it up in a sentence or two and has to take refuge in hedging and abstractions? The more I look at it, the more stranger the whole utterance is.

And ok, Nadette is crying. But where is she? And what precisely is she crying about? She seemed really optimistic at the beginning of this adventure. Did she misinterpret something that she foresaw, and did it come around to bite her on the ass? Does the crying not have anything to do with anything that just went on? And if it does, what?

Too many blanks that need filled in. Hopefully this will all be made clear tomorrow. I'm just afraid that this signals an upcoming return appearance of painfully dull goat-boy barista--though I suppose we are fated to see him again because of the date that Atsali forced him to attend.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Painfully dull goat-boy barista? I don't think he's had enough screen time to be considered anything yet.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Nadette may be feeling the after effects of what she sensed in the underground facility. It seemed very real to her, after all. Who knows what else she gleaned from all that she has to confide in anyone. Like the profound sadness Atsali felt after realizing all those babies were killed by Thup. She also may have learned things from Stasie. Things of a great sadness. For that matter, her being able to see the future, she may have seen something which will affect her or the ones she cares about. Heck, what happened may have altered the future she saw before.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ok, I'm just gonna put some ideas here, kindof in the form of a stream of consciousness, on why Nadette's crying.
Then we can cross them off the list as we go. Or add to the list. Whatever.

Unrequited love for Atsali/getting friendzoned/emotional turmoil caused by kissing her and getting into all sorts of arousing situations and having nothing to show for it/etc.

Nadette's brain got messed up by the stone tape in a similar way to how Atsali's brain was messed up by having the Etethian hive mind pass through it... Though possibly/probably to a lesser degree.

the loss of the accumulated knowledge of an entire lost, advanced, ancient civilization

her first real major blowup at Atsali (in front of the stasis tube)

Being chastised for messing up (?) an important mission or not doing it right or something.

Stress from near-death experience.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Thor

Post by Thor »

Jabberwonky wrote:Painfully dull goat-boy barista? I don't think he's had enough screen time to be considered anything yet.
And he's spent that precious little screen time as follows: Telling us that he's misunderstood. Complaining about his mother and his job. Losing control of his horns. Jumping to conclusions, complaining about racial profiling, indulging in racial profiling, and being cowed into submission.

Now, compare that to the first four appearances of Atsali, starting here, and tell me again about he hasn't had enough screen time to be considered anything. In four appearances, Atsali had taken over the story and launched a half-year long adventure. In four appearances, Jacob was so non-compelling that the author had other characters interrupt his dialog twice.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Love Kathryn response. No freak out, just "I'm not a good example for her." Then straight to the important part, is she going to be agonizing over hurting someone. Kathryn knows Atsali is a good person and therefore what is important to her.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Thor wrote:(insert epic takedown of Jacob here)
Dude, are you a lawyer or something? because the spin is strong with you.

You presented your case, backed it up with evidence, and compared said evidence to another situation, all in the name of obliterating poor little Jacob.

Jeebus.

(Also: WOO! Post # 200!)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Someone who isn't directly involved here needs to talk to Nadette - Monica? Nudge? Suzi? Phix? Eurayle?

One of the above, who takes her to Mucho Mocha?
I don't think that any of those is a friend or most are too much of an authority figure to be someone she would be comfortable with. Berdine on the other hand is probably too close. This may be a job for Calista, who is should be a friend and has connections with Monica and may have been introduced to Mucho Mocha by her. Or, on a dive off the deep end, Jessie could be the one to heal her, just to mess up her opinion of tuna girls.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

There are a few reasons that Nadette is crying...

1. Gramma Lily gave her a verbal lashing, called her out on getting a little skin on skin time with Atsali. Reason: Embarrassment.

2. She's decompressing after the stone tape running though her. She saw the tragic end of at least one Ethetian... Now she has time to think about that and it's affecting her the way the loss of the entire civilization affected Atsali. Reason: Sense of senseless loss.

3. Atsali friendzoned her. Either seriously ( "Nadette, I don't think of you that way..." ) or by design, to throw a much too knowledgeable Grandma off the track: Reason: Spurned.

4. Totally unrelated to the catsuit angle, Grandma Lily lambasted Nadette for being the more mature one and still letting Atsali drag her off to parts unknown and almost getting the both of them killed, destroying the site and leaving Nadette a sobbing heap. Reason: Abject humiliation. By a mosquito (Phix's emphasis, not mine).

5. Complete and utter frustration of just wanting a little "me" time with her bestie. Reason: Complete and utter frustration. Each time she tried to get close, something got in the way... the last time it was Grandma Lily.

6. Any combination of 1-5.

She could be crying for any reason... but I'm getting the idea that it was because Grandma Lily in her own interminable way saw through the bullshit and called Nadette out on it. She's been frustrated, followed by abject humiliation by a vampire, who then took them home, sending Nadette home and taking Atsali home to Momma. That looks seems to give truth to the fact that Atsali has indeed been hit by a clue by four (or six or ten). Personally I think it's naïve to think that Atsali was clueless. Nadette made it so perfectly clear there was no mistaking her intentions (as evidenced by wing-boners and snogging da siren). Still... you can feel her pain...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Opus the Poet wrote:Make that three crying softly for Nadette.
Make it four... :cry:
Vive la weird!