Hush 2012-08-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Hush 2012-08-17

Post by Julie »

Boxilar wrote:EDIT; New reason dicovered to dislike Bia.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/didyouhearme/
*hisses in Bia's general direction* I think we'll be stumbling into several reasons to hate her as we go back and re-read the archives, but this one is BAD.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:
Boxilar wrote:EDIT; New reason dicovered to dislike Bia.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/didyouhearme/
*hisses in Bia's general direction* I think we'll be stumbling into several reasons to hate her as we go back and re-read the archives, but this one is BAD.
By the time the current storyline winds up, the entire cast will be standing in line to kick Bia's butt.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TheDOCTOR wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: "Demons run when a good man goes to war."
You are a Whovian as well. Cool.
WHO isn't, Hmmmmm? ;)
(weakly raises hand)
Sorry, not into Brit Sci-Fi and Timey-wimey ball stuff.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Mark N wrote:In Shelly's case this is why she has Justin who is probably almost as old as Bia and he was doing what he could to help people by being a cop before his brain-ectomy messed up his path.
Brain-ectomy? :shock: I don't remember that (no pun intended :) )? When did something happen to his brain?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Mark N wrote:In Shelly's case this is why she has Justin who is probably almost as old as Bia and he was doing what he could to help people by being a cop before his brain-ectomy messed up his path.
Brain-ectomy? :shock: I don't remember that (no pun intended :) )? When did something happen to his brain?
Right about here - http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sphinxed-out/

And I can't hold this in any longer... (please don't be offended)

She was the Bathory's daughter
And hung those poor folks from a hook
'Til the sad day
The Inquisition held sway
And they bricked her up tight in the rook
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Bathorys Daughter

jwhouk wrote:(weakly raises hand)
Me neither. I always thought the Dr. Who series was just too full of itself.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
jwhouk wrote:(weakly raises hand)
Me neither. I always thought the Dr. Who series was just too full of itself.
I was never a huge fan of the original series, but the revival is Something Else.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Jabberwonky wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Right about here - http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sphinxed-out/

And I can't hold this in any longer... (please don't be offended)

She was the Bathory's daughter
And hung those poor folks from a hook
'Til the sad day
The Inquisition held sway
And they bricked her up tight in the rook
Ok, thank you. I didn't remember that bit although I do remember the series of comics.
And, not offended at all.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Boxilar wrote:(Shelly is) the first Titan/Sphinx hybrid successfully bred. Thing is, I'm bettting Bia has tried before, but she went the convoluted route of convincing Phix to give up her son to secretly breed with until she got a daughter because a direct Shinx/Titan mating didn't work. Bia needed human glue to stick two incompatable parts together.

Did I mention I really don't like Bia? :evil:
Oh. OH! I just had a nasty thought.

Bia picked Shelly's Dad because he was the child of a human/sphinx hybrid, right? Was it ever stated outright that the hybrid in question was his father? And aside from Shelly and Phix, have we seen any human-headed sphinxes? 'Cause I has me a suspicion...that maybe Bia's breeding program goes further back than we've yet been told...

If so, and if Phix just put it together, it would make her feral episode that much more explicable.

And also if so, I really, really, really don't like Bia.

And that will be Paul's cue to throw in another twist that makes Bia sympathetic again (well, no, I'm not expecting that, but we all know he could, don't we?).
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Prester Fred wrote:Oh. OH! I just had a nasty thought.

Bia picked Shelly's Dad because he was the child of a human/sphinx hybrid, right? Was it ever stated outright that the hybrid in question was his father? And aside from Shelly and Phix, have we seen any human-headed sphinxes? 'Cause I has me a suspicion...that maybe Bia's breeding program goes further back than we've yet been told...

If so, and if Phix just put it together, it would make her feral episode that much more explicable.

And that will be Paul's cue to throw in another twist that makes Bia sympathetic again (well, no, I'm not expecting that, but we all know he could, don't we?).
Just one point you missed. Shelly's dad is the only hybrid we know in this equation. His father was human and (I would guess) the one that raised him.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Mark N wrote:

Just one point you missed. Shelly's dad is the only hybrid we know in this equation. His father was human and (I would guess) the one that raised him.
Ah, but don't forget Popcorn Grandma:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/04212003/

Shelly's "natural" grandmothers seem to be Phix and Styx. Who acted as grandma to make that delicious popcorn?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Prester Fred wrote:
Boxilar wrote:(Shelly is) the first Titan/Sphinx hybrid successfully bred. Thing is, I'm bettting Bia has tried before, but she went the convoluted route of convincing Phix to give up her son to secretly breed with until she got a daughter because a direct Shinx/Titan mating didn't work. Bia needed human glue to stick two incompatable parts together.

Did I mention I really don't like Bia? :evil:
Oh. OH! I just had a nasty thought.

"Shelly is the first Sphinx/Titan hybrid ever bred." Hmmm. EXCEPT FOR A WHOLE INFIELDS WORTH OF OLDER BROTHERS everyone seems to forget about - who should be just as awesome as Shelly if their ancestry is ever expressed.

Just a thought - that Shelly might have a ready source of superpowered family as allies...... (c8
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Except that males can't transform, and being able to transform was the catalyst to activate Shelly's Titan powers.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Opus the Poet wrote:Except that males can't transform, and being able to transform was the catalyst to activate Shelly's Titan powers.
But Shelly was showing signs of being 'special' long before the Sphinx genes manifested. You still have 7 Commanche boys running around out there that quite possible have some sort of minor power. And probably a yen for adventure, too.

They just better be over teasing their little sister...
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Jabberwonky wrote:But Shelly was showing signs of being 'special' long before the Sphinx genes manifested. You still have 7 Commanche boys running around out there that quite possible have some sort of minor power. And probably a yen for adventure, too.

Perhaps the bowling ball to the head was the true catalyst that unlocked Shelly's hidden abilities, and 80,000 years was just enough time for it to resolve.

Or perhaps I've just watched too many episodes of The Flintstones.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

sonicthunder wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:But Shelly was showing signs of being 'special' long before the Sphinx genes manifested. You still have 7 Commanche boys running around out there that quite possible have some sort of minor power. And probably a yen for adventure, too.

Perhaps the bowling ball to the head was the true catalyst that unlocked Shelly's hidden abilities, and 80,000 years was just enough time for it to resolve.

Or perhaps I've just watched too many episodes of The Flintstones.
LOL'd
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:"Shelly is the first Sphinx/Titan hybrid ever bred." Hmmm. EXCEPT FOR A WHOLE INFIELDS WORTH OF OLDER BROTHERS everyone seems to forget about - who should be just as awesome as Shelly if their ancestry is ever expressed.

Just a thought - that Shelly might have a ready source of superpowered family as allies...... (c8
And, while we have no evidence to the contrary, we also have no evidence that Bia was their mother - i mean, childhood friend shows up for the first time in years after beloved wife has mysteriously dies, consoles grieving widower, things progress...

Does anyone here think Bia wouldn't have murdered Shelly's Dad's first wife to gain her own ends in a situation like that?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:
Mark N wrote:

Ah, but don't forget Popcorn Grandma:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/04212003/

Shelly's "natural" grandmothers seem to be Phix and Styx. Who acted as grandma to make that delicious popcorn?
Easy...Shelly's grandfather (the one who got busy with Phix) probably remarried at some point...and that would be the only mother the Shelly's dad remembers and the only paternal grandmother that Shelly knows. :)
"Just open your eyes
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:"Shelly is the first Sphinx/Titan hybrid ever bred." Hmmm. EXCEPT FOR A WHOLE INFIELDS WORTH OF OLDER BROTHERS everyone seems to forget about - who should be just as awesome as Shelly if their ancestry is ever expressed.

And, while we have no evidence to the contrary, we also have no evidence that Bia was their mother - i mean, childhood friend shows up for the first time in years after beloved wife has mysteriously dies, consoles grieving widower, things progress...

Does anyone here think Bia wouldn't have murdered Shelly's Dad's first wife to gain her own ends in a situation like that?
Plausible, but only a theory until we get more hard evidence about Shelly's family history. :( This "not knowing" is enough to drive a girl crazy though. :P
"Just open your eyes
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:

Thanks for nothing :roll: , now I have to wonder if I have enough reasons to dislike Bia here. :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.