Hush 2012-08-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

Hush 2012-08-17

Post by Cheesy1 »

. . . I really adore Euryale! <3
The Old Wolf

Re: Hush 2012-08-17

Post by The Old Wolf »

Euryale is so sweet. Poor Monica, that was just too much for her. I mean, it's a friend...
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Stroth

Post by Stroth »

Huh. Now I'm wondering if the snakes automatically pop out every time she closes her eyes.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I don't think we've ever seen a Wapsi character, so clearly and thoroughly horrified. Wow... poor M... the emotional fewmets have hit the ventilator for sure. :(
Last edited by Dave on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I half expected to see Phix with a "Dessert?" look on her face.

Euryale is a sweetheart. A little too countryfied for my taste, but still a warm, caring person.

Old Wolf, what would be worse- seeing a fiend doing the eating, or seeing a friend being eaten?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Euryale is one great gal. She is gonna have to help Monica for a while while her brain sorts out the truth that she has just faced.

Monica is going to look at all of her friends in a new light from now on.
Last edited by Mark N on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Excellent Friday Cliff-non-hanger. Good for Euryale and soothing for Monica.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

...and again the "legs-at-the-waist"... but i remember when Vellie was three and having a nightmare and came to me and i picked her up and she did that. (Well, sorta, given the size of my where-a-waist-was)

Remember Bud - "There's a little girl in here..."?

Monica's hurtin'
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I think we can all agree that Euryale deserves a +1 for this?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:I think we can all agree that Euryale deserves a +1 for this?
At the very least! She's quite a mensch.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks. Now I have Deep Purple's "Hush" stuck in my head.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Ambertronic

Post by Ambertronic »

Nice little touch: the snakes glaring in Phix's direction.

I'm a 5 year lurker who decided to finally poke there head in. :D Hi!
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Stroth wrote:Huh. Now I'm wondering if the snakes automatically pop out every time she closes her eyes.
...I think it's probably more an eyes-in-the-back-of-her-head thing; =neither= of them really need another "surprise" right now...

:shock:
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I like how Eyrale's snakes are standing gaurd, protecting Monica from Phix. I honestly don't see how their friendship comes back from this, at least not without a ton of work. And as much as I feel for Monica, I feel as much for Phix. When she comes out of her feral state, she's going to realize she scared the hell out of M, and likely alienated her grand daughter. Our librarian is going to have a rough time of it for awhile me thinks.
Last edited by Boxilar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casey

Post by Casey »

Very motherly. Like a mother comforting a child who just had a bad dream.

Also, I don't think Monica was anywhere near this frightened when she got shot at. Or even when she got stabbed in the head.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"Make it go AWAY! Make it all BETTER!! Make it SAFE like it was!!! I want my MOMMIE!!!!"

In "On Fairy-Stories", Tolkien says that when a child asks, for example, "Are dragons real?", she's not asking were there ever dragons, or even are there dragons somewhere now - what she really wants to know is "Am I safe in my bed?"

Monica's known for a long time that dragons are real.

She's just come to the realisation that she may not be safe in her bed.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote:I like how Eyrale's snakes are standing gaurd, protecting Monica from Phix. I honestly don't see how their friendship comes back from this, at least not without a ton of work. And as Mich as I feel for Monica, I feel as much for Phix. When she comes out of her feral state, she's going to realize she scared the hell out of M, and likely alienated her grand daughter. Our librarian is going to have a rough time of it for awhile me thinks.
I think that there will be plenty of help in the reconciliation area here. Between Euryale and Nudge and I suspect Tsillah, everyone will come to terms with this truth, eventually. Now Bia on the other hand...
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Casey wrote:Very motherly. Like a mother comforting a child who just had a bad dream.

Also, I don't think Monica was anywhere near this frightened when she got shot at. Or even when she got stabbed in the head.
Euryale is so good at this that I find myself wondering about her former experience... does she have (or did she have) children of her own?

As to Monica... I wrote "terrified" up above, but edited it to "horrified" - I think that's more what's going on for her right now. It's more than just fear and fright... it's both of those, plus a sense of huge and terrible wrongness that adds up to horror. I imagine there's got to be some sense of betrayal in the mix, too... as there often is, when someone you trust and value abruptly turns out to be more/less/different/alien from what you thought they were.
Mark N wrote: Now Bia on the other hand...
Bia is the anti-Euryale (and verse vica, of course). Both are Powers, both are female... but in the way they relate to other people they're about as opposite as they could possibly be. Interesting study in contrasts!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:I don't think we've ever seen a Wapsi character, so clearly and thoroughly horrified.
Oh, there's one. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/reverse-shadow/

Though she outwardly recovers very quickly--hardly needs to be carried off--she remains obsessed forever, and her terror keeps the Chimera in fear.
Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote: Now Bia on the other hand...
Bia is the anti-Euryale (and verse vica, of course). Both are Powers, both are female... but in the way they relate to other people they're about as opposite as they could possibly be. Interesting study in contrasts!
Euryale by her own admission is not a Power. She may have grouped Titans in with Gorgons and as "critters" (interesting choice of words for other reasons), but she's not in the league of "Zeus's favorite cow-punchers". And in any case, Euryale is Charon's counterpart as chaperone in this scene.

The anti-Bia... is Sunshine.

Monica reacts as a human, and what she decides to do next, is what is most important now.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I just took another look ... so much like my granddaughter when she was three and has nightmares...
=====================
=====================
mike weber