Hush 2012-08-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Bathorys Daughter

Re: Hush 2012-08-17

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Bookworm wrote:Again, not murder, but suicide by Sphinx.
Not really. Suicide would indicate the individual planned to kill herself. I'm pretty sure her sudden and gruesome death was just about the farthest thing from her mind at that moment. Farther still was the thought of becoming the blue plate special. :o

Off topic, but where is DTNE with that apology he was going to deliver for being wrong? Here it is Friday and nothing. Talk is cheap I guess.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Yes, the snakes seem to be providing a rear guard. Anyone who comes near will be put on ice. Freeze first, ask questions later.
*snrk*

"Right, that tears it - if that fucker even =looks= at us funny, we ice it..."

:mrgreen:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

BallBearingMousetrap wrote:"Beware the wrath of a patient man." -- Dryden
Heh

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Boxilar wrote: Even if Monica and Phix can renew thier relationship after Monica deals with what she's seen, there's going to be something between them that will always be broken. I think Monica always thought of Phix as a regular person who just happened to be a Sphinx. Now some part of her will always see Phix as something out of her deepest nightmares. For Monica, this is the moment Phix became a monster.
Precisely. Monica, for better or worse, has approached pretty much every non-human this way, like an equal or just another person. We've heard in passing what some can and have done (outside of Euryale, Officer TB, and Tepoz, pretty much all the 'supernatural' she's met have blood on their hands, some far more than others), and Monica's been lucky enough to survive all the times she's been killed so far (at least 2 we know of for this version of her). But Monica's never directly witnessed any of the carnage (unless it was directed at her), so she's never honestly paid attention to the warnings everyone keeps giving her.

It's a growing point. And unless Shelly or Monica can find a way to overcome their respective grief/shock, may be the swan song for Phix's involvement in Wapsisquare. If so, it's a nice end, and has more impact than previous character departures.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
as363 wrote:A weekend without disturbing images - I can get behind that thank you very much.
I was just thinking how nice it is that the "Friday cliffhanger" is a comforting image. It's rather like a sigh of relief after a stressful week...

Love the page!!

Maybe it's just me...
But I find the image of Monica from panel two, her hands shaking as she reaches out for consolation, more disturbing than that of Phix ears deep in some unknown creature's ribcage.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

BallBearingMousetrap wrote:I'll also note that Monica is demonstrating one of the advantages of being short: it's much more likely that you can and will be picked up and held. Of course that can also be a disadvantage if people levitate you without warning or at times when you don't want that contact.
Heh. Years ago, there was a Japanese-American woman who was a regular attendee at SF conventions. She was shorter than Monica (and cute as a bug's ear).

She was supposed to be going out to dinner with a gang of us. As we were gathering to head out, she was standing in the hotel lobby talking to a couple of other women, not really noticing the rest of us.

As i walked by i snagged her under one arm and just kept walking...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

sonicthunder wrote:
Boxilar wrote: Even if Monica and Phix can renew thier relationship after Monica deals with what she's seen, there's going to be something between them that will always be broken. I think Monica always thought of Phix as a regular person who just happened to be a Sphinx. Now some part of her will always see Phix as something out of her deepest nightmares. For Monica, this is the moment Phix became a monster.
Precisely. Monica, for better or worse, has approached pretty much every non-human this way, like an equal or just another person. We've heard in passing what some can and have done (outside of Euryale, Officer TB, and Tepoz, pretty much all the 'supernatural' she's met have blood on their hands, some far more than others), and Monica's been lucky enough to survive all the times she's been killed so far (at least 2 we know of for this version of her). But Monica's never directly witnessed any of the carnage (unless it was directed at her), so she's never honestly paid attention to the warnings everyone keeps giving her.

It's a growing point. And unless Shelly or Monica can find a way to overcome their respective grief/shock, may be the swan song for Phix's involvement in Wapsisquare. If so, it's a nice end, and has more impact than previous character departures.

I think Shelly has a better chance to deal with what has happened between her and Phix. She built her own Wall of Skulls in the time forrest, so she has been a Sphinx in every way that matters. She can be thick headed, but is a pretty smart person when it counts. She will realize that Phix was manipulated and used by Bia as much as she was, if not more so. Their common pain could unite them against Shelly's mother. If Shelly wandered back into the Library right now, her reaction might be something along the lines of "Oh, sorry to bother you" but I don't think it would be a primal terror reaction like Monica's. There's going to be angst between Shelly and her Grandmother for truths left untold, but that's 'normal' family stuff that can be worked through. The Phix/Shelly/Bia dynamic is great strory telling fodder, so I hope Paul dosen't put Phix on a bus.

Monica is a whole different case. I just wonder if Phix will feel remorse about possibly ending their friendship once she comes out of her feral state. It's been a bad day for everyone involved, and Bia is the only one who actually deserved what happened to her.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:It's been a bad day for everyone involved, and Bia is the only one who actually deserved what happened to her.
ITYM "Bia is the only one who got off much more lightly than she deserved."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Boxilar wrote:I think Shelly has a better chance to deal with what has happened between her and Phix. She built her own Wall of Skulls in the time forrest, so she has been a Sphinx in every way that matters ...

It's been a bad day for everyone involved, and Bia is the only one who actually deserved what happened to her.
I wonder about Shelly's "wall of skulls." We don't really know if they were her victims or just her other selves from different cycles who died of old age or whatever. Not from being killed and eaten by Shelly as such (what did Shelly eat while there?). So Shelly may never gone as feral as Phix is right now and has no real understanding of what that means. She may be as shocked as anyone to see such a sight. Of course the Apos may have put on such a display for one reason or another, so maybe not. We still don't know that part of things either. Did she talk or interact with any of them despite her companion? If Phix is different, maybe some of the Apos are too. Maybe there were other kinds of sphinxes there as well. So many possibilities. I suppose it's even possible Phix went feral on one or more of the Apos there as well. We know now she's capable.

Also, there has been a lot of condemnation of Bia to this point, but we don't really know the whole story as yet. I think judgement should be withheld until the rest of the tale is told.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Boxilar wrote:I think Shelly has a better chance to deal with what has happened between her and Phix. She built her own Wall of Skulls in the time forrest, so she has been a Sphinx in every way that matters ...

It's been a bad day for everyone involved, and Bia is the only one who actually deserved what happened to her.
I wonder about Shelly's "wall of skulls." We don't really know if they were her victims or just her other selves from different cycles who died of old age or whatever. Not from being killed and eaten by Shelly as such (what did Shelly eat while there?). So Shelly may never gone as feral as Phix is right now and has no real understanding of what that means. She may be as shocked as anyone to see such a sight. Of course the Apos may have put on such a display for one reason or another, so maybe not. We still don't know that part of things either. Did she talk or interact with any of them despite her companion? If Phix is different, maybe some of the Apos are too. Maybe there were other kinds of sphinxes there as well. So many possibilities. I suppose it's even possible Phix went feral on one or more of the Apos there as well. We know now she's capable.

Also, there has been a lot of condemnation of Bia to this point, but we don't really know the whole story as yet. I think judgement should be withheld until the rest of the tale is told.
I have a feeling that this next arc is going to use as part of its plot points a redemption (or damnation) arc for Bia and Phix. Either way there are lots of movement room here and lots of space for new characters, as well as return of old ones ("Mr. Wahnee, your ride is here) :idea:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Fairportfan wrote:
BallBearingMousetrap wrote:"Beware the wrath of a patient man." -- Dryden
Heh

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."
"In the dreams of children,
Magic runs wild,
And the monsters around,
Are brought by the child

...It means . . . It means that I'm my only enemy."
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yamara wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Totally unrelated to today's comic topic:

How do you pronounce Bia? Bee-ah, or By-ah?
(While my English is mostly excellent, it does have shortcomings, being as I am French-Canadian...)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bia

And she is M's opposite number in shock, so you're not totally off topic.
Thanks. I had tried looking it up in Wikipedia, but it did not have a pronunciation guide (or sound bite). I didn't think of checking Dictionary.com...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: (what did Shelly eat while there?).
She may not have had the need or desire to eat at all while there. Consider that she's been told that as long as she stays there, she will not age. To me, that implies that normal metabolic processes have been ceased (bereft of life, she rests in peace. If she hadn't been nailed to the perch... Sorry. Digression). Eating is as much of a metabolic process as aging - if you don't age, why would you need to eat? :)

As for the earlier suicide comment... I stand by it.

If you deliberately step in front of a bus, you're committing suicide - even if you just didn't look where you were going. You still made the judgement call to put yourself in harm's way. "But, I didn't MEAN to!" doesn't wash. If you go up to the gorilla pen and start poking the gorilla, and it rips off your arm, is it the gorilla's fault that you deliberately annoyed the crap out of it?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I do hope she wasn't pining for the fjords all that time...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Bookworm wrote:She may not have had the need or desire to eat at all while there. Consider that she's been told that as long as she stays there, she will not age. To me, that implies that normal metabolic processes have been ceased (bereft of life, she rests in peace. If she hadn't been nailed to the perch... Sorry. Digression). Eating is as much of a metabolic process as aging - if you don't age, why would you need to eat? :)
however, so is the act of moving, breathing, thinking... if you are not "changing" then those processes stop as well... you can't move without expending energy, and if you are not eating to replace the energy that was used just by "existing", then you WILL run out of energy sooner or later, and die... therefore she had to eat. therefore she was aging... but since this is a "supernatural" kind of comic, we let that pass as part of our suspension-of-disbelief and don't worry about it.
As for the earlier suicide comment... I stand by it.

If you deliberately step in front of a bus, you're committing suicide - even if you just didn't look where you were going. You still made the judgement call to put yourself in harm's way. "But, I didn't MEAN to!" doesn't wash. If you go up to the gorilla pen and start poking the gorilla, and it rips off your arm, is it the gorilla's fault that you deliberately annoyed the crap out of it?
your bus incident would be called an "accidental death" not suicide, if you just didn't look where you were going first (and had living witnesses to that fact). as for the gorilla, it'd be hard to argue that it WASN'T suicide, because of all the safety features the pen has to prevent that exact thing from happening, therefore you had to PURPOSELY circumvent them, yeah, that's premeditated suicide... though i'm sure the lawyers could twist it to whatever they wanted it to be, depending on who's footing the bill...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Boxilar wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:
Mark N wrote:Monica is going to look at all of her friends in a new light from now on.
Primarily Shelly. Shelly's given Monica the same speech of "I'm a monster / I'm a danger" more than once already, and Shelly is now generally the same species as Phix. I wouldn't be surprised to see Monica a bit hesitant around Shelly until the 'shock' wears.

Despite warnings from Tina that Phix was a predator with a predator's instincts, Monica has never seen anything more than vieled threats directed at Tina from Phix.

Even if Monica and Phix can renew thier relationship after Monica deals with what she's seen, there's going to be something between them that will always be broken. I think Monica always thought of Phix as a regular person who just happened to be a Sphinx. Now some part of her will always see Phix as something out of her deepest nightmares. For Monica, this is the moment Phix became a monster.
what i find funny about this page is that Monica is VOLUNTARILY reaching out to get a HUG ...BY A GORGON.... YET ANOTHER "MONSTER" from legends... and in the back of my mind, i'm waiting for the day that M see's Euryale doing something equivalent to what she just saw Phix doing... though i do think that M will "get over" this with Phix after a while, just like she did with the GGG's, and also with Tina, after each of them revealed their true nature's...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bookworm wrote: She may not have had the need or desire to eat at all while there. Consider that she's been told that as long as she stays there, she will not age. To me, that implies that normal metabolic processes have been ceased (bereft of life, she rests in peace. If she hadn't been nailed to the perch... Sorry. Digression). Eating is as much of a metabolic process as aging - if you don't age, why would you need to eat? :)
I do not remember Shelly being told that she will not age in the Library. What strip was this in?
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote: "Demons run when a good man goes to war."
You are a Whovian as well. Cool.
Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Bookworm wrote:Again, not murder, but suicide by Sphinx.
More like death due to stupid/careless behavior. Obviously (spelling?) the dead one vastly underestimated Phix. And paid the price of stupid/careless assumptions.
;)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:
Bookworm wrote: She may not have had the need or desire to eat at all while there. Consider that she's been told that as long as she stays there, she will not age. To me, that implies that normal metabolic processes have been ceased (bereft of life, she rests in peace. If she hadn't been nailed to the perch... Sorry. Digression). Eating is as much of a metabolic process as aging - if you don't age, why would you need to eat? :)
I do not remember Shelly being told that she will not age in the Library. What strip was this in?
Shelly's wall of skulls was in the Time Forest where she did not age.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!