Hush 2012-08-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Prester Fred

Re: Hush 2012-08-17

Post by Prester Fred »

Mark N wrote:Shelly's dad is the only hybrid we know in this equation. His father was human and (I would guess) the one that raised him.
What I'm implying here is that Phix might be a hybrid human/sphinx. No, we don't know she is, but we don't know she isn't either. And if so, and if Bia arranged that...

Okay, this comes under what TVtropes calls "wild mass guessing," but seriously: have we seen any other human-headed sphinxes?
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:"Shelly is the first Sphinx/Titan hybrid ever bred." Hmmm. EXCEPT FOR A WHOLE INFIELDS WORTH OF OLDER BROTHERS everyone seems to forget about - who should be just as awesome as Shelly if their ancestry is ever expressed.

Just a thought - that Shelly might have a ready source of superpowered family as allies...... (c8
And, while we have no evidence to the contrary, we also have no evidence that Bia was their mother - i mean, childhood friend shows up for the first time in years after beloved wife has mysteriously dies, consoles grieving widower, things progress...

Does anyone here think Bia wouldn't have murdered Shelly's Dad's first wife to gain her own ends in a situation like that?
Interesting theory. Still, Bia "grew up" with Mr. Whanee, indicating a likely childhood sweetheart kind of scenario in which their marriage was somewhat inevitable. No doubt she became his ideal partner to make that happen.

About the brothers. I guess the one thing Bia could not control was the sex of the offspring so they kept trying until they finally produced a girl. That would mean the boys would still carry the sphinx/Titan genes and could help produce sphinxes themselves. Heck, Bia could come back in a different form and even mate with them to try. Of course there would be that pesky inbreeding thing then, but I believe the gods did that all the time.

Now, I wonder. Was Mr. Whanee in on the fake death thing or was Bia able fake being dead? She was close with Charon after all. Poited out of the coffin after the burial with no one the wiser, including dear old hubby. We still don't know just how much he was in the know about anything. He seemed to know something about the diamond dolls, however.

However much some may hate Bia, she wasn't all bad. Except for the fake death thing, she does appear to have been a very good mother. Shelly loved her with all her heart and turned out to be a good person with a good soul, albeit a bit on the wild side.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:"Shelly is the first Sphinx/Titan hybrid ever bred." Hmmm. EXCEPT FOR A WHOLE INFIELDS WORTH OF OLDER BROTHERS everyone seems to forget about - who should be just as awesome as Shelly if their ancestry is ever expressed.

Just a thought - that Shelly might have a ready source of superpowered family as allies...... (c8
And, while we have no evidence to the contrary, we also have no evidence that Bia was their mother - i mean, childhood friend shows up for the first time in years after beloved wife has mysteriously dies, consoles grieving widower, things progress...

Does anyone here think Bia wouldn't have murdered Shelly's Dad's first wife to gain her own ends in a situation like that?
2 thoughts here.

1) You'd think Shelly would have commented that her dad's last wife died young as well. If nothing else, you'd act overprotective towards your father, since Bia's "death" could be seen as the start of a "All the women in my life die young" trend for him.

2) Wonder what this says about Shelly#1-#56 (at least however many of these cycles still had Shellys. At least 2 did, given Jin's comments on past cycles and Shellynx's killing of Shelly#1). If Bia's the biological mother, and Phix the biological grandmother, does this require that Phix birthed Poppa-Shelly 1 to 56 times, and Bia birthed Shelly 1 to 56 times as well? And there can't have been a different mother/grandmother, otherwise there would have been no Shelly at all or a completely different Shelly.

Bia is one damn fine manipulator. That, or the men in Shelly's family leave one hell of a last impression. One to die for (don't worry, I'm opening the wallet).

Wait a minute... Grandpa Villareal left a similar impression on Jin. Just how pimping was that old boy?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

sonicthunder wrote:Wait a minute... Grandpa Villareal left a similar impression on Jin. Just how pimping was that old boy?
That's Grandpa Sullivan - the Irish half of Monica's heritage - i think.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Prester Fred wrote:
Mark N wrote:Shelly's dad is the only hybrid we know in this equation. His father was human and (I would guess) the one that raised him.
What I'm implying here is that Phix might be a hybrid human/sphinx. No, we don't know she is, but we don't know she isn't either. And if so, and if Bia arranged that...
Given the cavalcade of forms monsters took in Hellenic myth, one can safely assume that Titans and Gods have made all kinds of critters over the eons. Bia is not the only one at it. In any case, Phix is older than the time loops and lived outside them, so there was only ever one of her; that is, Phix's birth itself was not a repeatable experiment like Shelly's, and so "arranging" it would have been more a shot in the dark than a cohesive plan. But Bia did confess to being more dysfunctional than sphinxes.
Prester Fred wrote:Okay, this comes under what TVtropes calls "wild mass guessing," but seriously: have we seen any other human-headed sphinxes?
Apart from the Giza "warning marker", none that have revealed themselves, no.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Fairportfan wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:Wait a minute... Grandpa Villareal left a similar impression on Jin. Just how pimping was that old boy?
That's Grandpa Sullivan - the Irish half of Monica's heritage - i think.
Probably. I forgot what her g'pa's last name was, and was too lazy to do my usual research, so I just defaulted to Monica's last name (last names in general are so rarely used in Wapsiverse, it gets hard to remember them amongst all the other factoids we're supposed to remember from Wapsi-past).
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

sonicthunder wrote:last names in general are so rarely used in Wapsiverse, it gets hard to remember them amongst all the other factoids we're supposed to remember from Wapsi-past).
The wiki Chronology is helpful with that http://wapsisquare.wikia.com/wiki/Chronology
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Opus the Poet wrote:Except that males can't transform, and being able to transform was the catalyst to activate Shelly's Titan powers.
Yeah.

I been thinkin' about that. Nudge couldn't morph either (Kinda odd for a trickster, but there you go).
But she LEARNED HOW.

If she can learn, betcha she could teach, if properly motivated. >:)

Just sayin'......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Except that males can't transform, and being able to transform was the catalyst to activate Shelly's Titan powers.
Yeah.

I been thinkin' about that. Nudge couldn't morph either (Kinda odd for a trickster, but there you go).
But she LEARNED HOW.

If she can learn, betcha she could teach, if properly motivated. >:)

Just sayin'......

Nudge knew how to morph, just not into a human form. We know that she could become incorporeal like a demon and take animal form (Shelly's totem animal) before she wanted to visit the girls on Earth.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Yamara wrote:
Prester Fred wrote:
Given the cavalcade of forms monsters took in Hellenic myth, one can safely assume that Titans and Gods have made all kinds of critters over the eons. Bia is not the only one at it. In any case, Phix is older than the time loops and lived outside them, so there was only ever one of her; that is, Phix's birth itself was not a repeatable experiment like Shelly's, and so "arranging" it would have been more a shot in the dark than a cohesive plan. But Bia did confess to being more dysfunctional than sphinxes.
In Xanth, many such chimerical hybrids were caused under the influence of the Love Spring.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

bmonk wrote:In Xanth, many such chimerical hybrids were caused under the influence of the Love Spring.
Great, now we are going to get invaded by Piers XANTHony. :twisted: :lol: :ugeek:
Now I know how big a geek I am.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Mark N wrote:
bmonk wrote:In Xanth, many such chimerical hybrids were caused under the influence of the Love Spring.
Great, now we are going to get invaded by Piers XANTHony. :twisted: :lol: :ugeek:
Oh goodness...it's been ages since I've indulged my nostalgia to the point of re-reading some Xanth novels...I should probably remedy that situation. :P *proud to be a nerd* :geek: :ugeek:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Julie wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Oh goodness...it's been ages since I've indulged my nostalgia to the point of re-reading some Xanth novels...I should probably remedy that situation. :P *proud to be a nerd* :geek: :ugeek:
He's over 27 at last count. And be warned: Serial and egregious Pun alert!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

bmonk wrote:He's over 27 at last count. And be warned: Serial and egregious Pun alert!
My old addiction is showing. I just Googled him and he has 36 out and one to be released in 2013 (If the Mayan Calendar lets us live that is).
Looking at his bibliography is amazing, he has well over 100 titles to his name, talk about prolific.