Sit Here 2012-08-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MrFireDragon

Re: Sit Here 2012-08-16

Post by MrFireDragon »

Julie wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Julie wrote:That's an interesting theory...and I hope it's wrong because I really don't want to see an arc of "Return of the Demon Queen." I like it when bad guys who are locked away stay that way. :P
Can you name even one comic in which someone who was locked up ever stayed locked up?
Of course not...which might be why comics aren't always very high on my list of favorite stories. :) I enjoy them immensely, but the tendency to do the "You only thought you'd taken care of me, MWAHAHAH!!" thing usually makes me roll my eyes. *shrugs* Just a personal preference thing.
Well I never mentioned a comeback.... but a portal can allow all sorts of nasty things in or out, also depends on what dimension and time the portal is pointing at.... so there is plenty to cut from that thread.... but again, this is just me and my overactive imagination..... if anything is certain in Wapsi Square is that nothing is certain....
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jerry Lewis wrote:It occurs to me that Monica has been accepting the mythical beings in her life like someone walking through the zoo, observing the bears and lions and noting only their beauty. Today's reaction is the scream of someone who's just noticed there are no bars between herself and the apex predators all around her.
Yeah, well - as has been mentioned in several comments on this thread:

"You think I'm locked in here with you. No - you're locked in with me."
It reminds me of a story told at a nearby convent. One of the elderly sisters was getting dementia, and so they reversed the doorknob on her door so she would not go wandering around without someone to watch her. One day the mother superior accidentally locked herself in with the sister, and began to knock loudly on the door and call for help. In a moment of lucidity, the sister wryly observed, "Oh, they won't come, Mother. They think it's me!"
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

bmonk wrote:It reminds me of a story told at a nearby convent. One of the elderly sisters was getting dementia, and so they reversed the doorknob on her door so she would not go wandering around without someone to watch her. One day the mother superior accidentally locked herself in with the sister, and began to knock loudly on the door and call for help. In a moment of lucidity, the sister wryly observed, "Oh, they won't come, Mother. They think it's me!"
What a load of nunsense.
*plink*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

shadowinthelight wrote:
bmonk wrote:It reminds me of a story told at a nearby convent. One of the elderly sisters was getting dementia, and so they reversed the doorknob on her door so she would not go wandering around without someone to watch her. One day the mother superior accidentally locked herself in with the sister, and began to knock loudly on the door and call for help. In a moment of lucidity, the sister wryly observed, "Oh, they won't come, Mother. They think it's me!"
What a load of nunsense.
*plink*
Well when you run around with loonies, you pick up the habit.

Clink...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

MrFireDragon wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
What a load of nunsense.
*plink*
Well when you run around with loonies, you pick up the habit.

Clink...
I hope that last was a Canadian coin!
CLINK [it's a "doubloonie"! Maybe a silver Spanish coin?]
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

bmonk wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:Well when you run around with loonies, you pick up the habit.

Clink...
Actually*, there is no Canadian money called the doubloonie. But we do have the loonie, which may be what you referred to in the actual comment - "I hope that last was a Canadian coin!" (as opposed to the mention of whatever coin it is you dropped into the pun vault.)

The Loonie our $1 coin with a picture of a loon - the bird - on it. The two dollar coin (two colors: silver-colored on the outside, gold-colored center, with a polar bear as its image), is referred to as a toonie, much to the chagrin of many, as Canada now has the loonie and the toonie as its most prevalent coins... it's bad enough that Americans already referred to our money as funny money (because the bills are color-coded by denomination: $5 is blue, $10 is purple, $20 is green - a different green than the US greenback, of course, $50 is red, and $100 is brown - so that an envelope full of brownbacks would be nice, except for the fact that you are in the process of being bribed - shame on you!), now they have even more incentive to think us loonatics...
(drops and equal amount of loonies and toonies into the pun jar)

* Admittedly, it was suggested that the two dollar coin be named a doubloonie, but that didn't stick...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

lake_wrangler wrote:
bmonk wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:Well when you run around with loonies, you pick up the habit.

Clink...
Actually*, there is no Canadian money called the doubloonie. But we do have the loonie, which may be what you referred to in the actual comment - "I hope that last was a Canadian coin!" (as opposed to the mention of whatever coin it is you dropped into the pun vault.)

The Loonie our $1 coin with a picture of a loon - the bird - on it. The two dollar coin (two colors: silver-colored on the outside, gold-colored center, with a polar bear as its image), is referred to as a toonie, much to the chagrin of many, as Canada now has the loonie and the toonie as its most prevalent coins... it's bad enough that Americans already referred to our money as funny money (because the bills are color-coded by denomination: $5 is blue, $10 is purple, $20 is green - a different green than the US greenback, of course, $50 is red, and $100 is brown - so that an envelope full of brownbacks would be nice, except for the fact that you are in the process of being bribed - shame on you!), now they have even more incentive to think us loonatics...

* Admittedly, it was suggested that the two dollar coin be named a doubloonie, but that didn't stick...
And our money is--ever so slowly and subtly--getting more colorful. But it was the Toonie I was referring to. I've just kept thinking of it as the doubloonie ever since I heard it called that a few years back.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

bmonk wrote:And our money is--ever so slowly and subtly--getting more colorful. But it was the Toonie I was referring to. I've just kept thinking of it as the doubloonie ever since I heard it called that a few years back.
I find it amusing to read, while looking up the info previously linked to, that the Canadian Mint (the government body that prints the Canadian money) actually bought the rights to the term "Toonie" for the coin... :lol:
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

lake_wrangler wrote:
it's bad enough that Americans already referred to our money as funny money (because the bills are color-coded by denomination: $5 is blue, $10 is purple, $20 is green - a different green than the US greenback, of course, $50 is red, and $100 is brown - so that an envelope full of brownbacks would be nice, except for the fact that you are in the process of being bribed - shame on you!), now they have even more incentive to think us loonatics...

Well, Most major banknotes in the world (Euro, D. Mark and Francs before euro,Renminbi,Ruble, Rupee, many others ) are color coded so perhaps it is the dollar which is a bit funny. ;)
Now, the canadian color scheme is especially ugly /methink. Euro one is not that great but a little less barf inducing

In addition, some banknotes like the Euro and the Rupee have denomination of different sizes so that blind persons can recognize them easily. I think the Renminbi too but not 100% sure
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

wow... funny how a thread can be turned into something so out of the original line in just a few comments :D
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MrFireDragon wrote:wow... funny how a thread can be turned into something so out of the original line in just a few comments :D
Paul's readers are a creative bunch that's for sure.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

alj_ws wrote:In addition, some banknotes like the Euro and the Rupee have denomination of different sizes so that blind persons can recognize them easily. I think the Renminbi too but not 100% sure
Unless things have changed (which they might well have, since it's twenty years since my personal knowledge, so is British money,
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
alj_ws wrote:In addition, some banknotes like the Euro and the Rupee have denomination of different sizes so that blind persons can recognize them easily. I think the Renminbi too but not 100% sure
Unless things have changed (which they might well have, since it's twenty years since my personal knowledge, so is British money,
And there was a recent court case which might require the US mint to make our money that way--Americans with Disabilities Act‎ requiring "equal access," somewhat broadly interpreted.
MrFireDragon wrote:wow... funny how a thread can be turned into something so out of the original line in just a few comments :D
Well, it's all the Pun Jar's fault. That thing is dangerous! Dangerous, I tell you! (Worse than Phix over a steaming rack of ribs!)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Implying the Pun Jar may actually be alive & sustaining itself by somehow tricking us into making awful puns, then paying for them with various forms of currency.

...nah, that's just crazy-talk. Noncents. *clink*
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

bmonk wrote:And there was a recent court case which might require the US mint to make our money that way--Americans with Disabilities Act‎ requiring "equal access," somewhat broadly interpreted.
Fine, put some braille bumps in it then. No need to make it all different sizes. Heck, it could be done to existing money, via a machine, right at the bank. That would help put it on bills already in circulation.
Mark N wrote:
A free association is a terrible thing to waste (or face, in some cases).
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Mark N wrote:
A free association is a terrible thing to waste (or face, in some cases).
Waste not, want not... or in the case of the former sphinx we recently read about, waist not...

Drops a few bronzed sphinx ribs in the pun jar.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

MerchManDan wrote:Implying the Pun Jar may actually be alive & sustaining itself by somehow tricking us into making awful puns, then paying for them with various forms of currency.

...nah, that's just crazy-talk. Noncents. *clink*
Hmmm...sounds like an SCP Object to me. Euclid class, Memetic hazard, low danger.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thinking through Monica's reaction to what she saw, I think I appreciate more why she's now so freaked out.

It isn't just the blood and gore. Not just "Gee, Shelly was probably right about being dangerous." Not just "Hey, Phix is a friend, and she's into some nasty predatory stuff." I think it cuts deeper than that.

I think it's something along the lines of "Oh my God! If I had followed my instincts and gone after Phix to comfort her... if it wasn't for Euryale warning me repeatedly... then that could have been me in there lying on the ground as a heap of bloody shreds!"

Narrow escape... maybe a very narrow escape... and M knows it.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I don't think Phix even as mad as she was would have harmed Monica. The sphinx that Phix killed was asking for it for millenia and finally got what she ordered. Remember that's a long long time to refrain from killing somebody.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Wdot wrote:I don't think Phix even as mad as she was would have harmed Monica. The sphinx that Phix killed was asking for it for millenia and finally got what she ordered. Remember that's a long long time to refrain from killing somebody.
That would be my take on it. There is only so long that someone can push buttons before they do the right one at the right time and "Rib's anyone??"
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.