Sit Here 2012-08-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
bmonk

Re: Sit Here 2012-08-16

Post by bmonk »

MrFireDragon wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Sphinx probably tastes like cat. Never eaten one. Ask someone from China and related countries.

As for a litter box - remember, they're desert animals. They have BIG sandboxes.

but if they have eagle wings.... wouldn't they also taste a bit like chicken? and if they have human torsos, then the flavor would also be similar to pork.... sooooo...... Cat, Chicken, Pork taste? but on this poor idiot's case, no wings, but goat horns... so Cat, Lamb (goat), Pork?

hmmmm...... now I could have a sandwich or something.... getting hungry here....
♪Mary had a little lamb,
♪a little beef,
♪a little ham . . .♪

or: Mary had a little lamb
And then a little beef
And then a tasty side of pork
with apple sauce beneath
Veal and ham and sausages
And pheasant stuffed with thyme
Strange to find such a greedy girl
In an English nursery rhyme!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wdot wrote:
Julie wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:Well, M is finally going to see that running around with gods, gorgons, demons, golems, sphinxes and the likes is very dangerous, even if they are super friendly. But she has yet to realize her own powers and her own danger level, I think that will balance things out.
Hmm? Monica can poit herself and others...unless she decides to be cruel or evil, how is she dangerous?
Think about Jin poiting various 'things' to get Monica ready. Imagine if Monica decided to 'poit' somebodys heart into the lake instead of just them. She's potentially dangerous as he!!. Not that she'd do anything like that right? :shock:
Danger is a word with an interesting history. In medieval use, it means "someone's area of power", usually a lord's physical domain. It doesn't necessarily mean "riskily unsafe", as it does today. It just means a place someone wields power and authority; the very definition of guardians being hazardous by nature. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=danger <== cute logo btw

So Monica, and Shelly, have to become masters of their dangers. This is how things work in a Panthestic universe: Claim a sphere of power, and take charge of it. Cf. Apollo vs. Pan: Apollo was new blood and brought new style to the table, and Pan took a haircut. The Wapsies bring a lot of common sense and Minnesota nice to this table, and they would be remiss in not bringing all their humanity to bear on getting these old squabbling powers to help clean up the bloody mess.
Wdot wrote:Oh, and now our little intellectual group has devolved into scat jokes? I'm down in the dumps now.
Yeah... I was wondering if everyone would just think I meant the Library was just sitting in a vast uncleaned catpan.

I was kind of thinking it would be more like a lion's pan. Bones of every species, stretching out to the horizon.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Yamara wrote:
So Monica, and Shelly, have to become masters of their dangers. This is how things work in a Panthestic universe: Claim a sphere of power, and take charge of it. Cf. Apollo vs. Pan: Apollo was new blood and brought new style to the table, and Pan took a haircut. The Wapsies bring a lot of common sense and Minnesota nice to this table, and they would be remiss in not bringing all their humanity to bear on getting these old squabbling powers to help clean up the bloody mess.

But what I think, is that M hasn't become aware of the extent of her powers, so she might think she has mastered her dangers, but I truly believe in my hearth that M, will in some point in the mid future, come to terms with her true powers and then there will be huge arc of her mastering her dangers.

But hey, that's just me.... anything can happen in Wapsi Square
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Julie wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:Well, M is finally going to see that running around with gods, gorgons, demons, golems, sphinxes and the likes is very dangerous, even if they are super friendly. But she has yet to realize her own powers and her own danger level, I think that will balance things out.
Hmm? Monica can poit herself and others...unless she decides to be cruel or evil, how is she dangerous?
Ever try to breathe vacuum? All you have to do to make someone do that is make them go "up". Monica has demonstrated the ability to poit "up" before but she restrained herself.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Dave11 wrote:Movie credits would list the meal as "Idiot Female Sphinx #1". In short, an extra introduced solely to be killed and eaten.
We may yet get some back story concerning the relationship between Idiot Female Sphinx #1 and Phix. Perhaps she was head honcho of the Apo palace guard and often in conflict with Phix's milder, gentler attitude towards others. She may have made the ass-umption this translated into being gentler to everyone. Too bad the fight was over before it started, I would have liked to see them slug it out some first.
MrFireDragon wrote:and could M poit someone's heart to the center of the sun? if she can poit bras, what about internal organs?......
Oh I don't think it matters if she gets that precise. Just poiting the whole body will do the trick. I don't think she can poit anything to the sun since she hasn't been there, but poiting them near to where that tropical island used to be would be good enough. Of course poiting a Titan or some such being anywhere, including the sun, would only urinate them off.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

bmonk wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Sphinx probably tastes like cat. Never eaten one. Ask someone from China and related countries.

As for a litter box - remember, they're desert animals. They have BIG sandboxes.

but if they have eagle wings.... wouldn't they also taste a bit like chicken? and if they have human torsos, then the flavor would also be similar to pork.... sooooo...... Cat, Chicken, Pork taste? but on this poor idiot's case, no wings, but goat horns... so Cat, Lamb (goat), Pork?

hmmmm...... now I could have a sandwich or something.... getting hungry here....
♪Mary had a little lamb,
♪a little beef,
♪a little ham . . .♪

or: Mary had a little lamb
And then a little beef
And then a tasty side of pork
with apple sauce beneath
Veal and ham and sausages
And pheasant stuffed with thyme
Strange to find such a greedy girl
In an English nursery rhyme!

Hahahaha nice one! I tip my hat to you!

Bathorys Daughter wrote: Oh I don't think it matters if she gets that precise. Just poiting the whole body will do the trick. I don't think she can poit anything to the sun since she hasn't been there, but poiting them near to where that tropical island used to be would be good enough. Of course poiting a Titan or some such being anywhere, including the sun, would only urinate them off.

Oh but she can poit to places she hasn't been, remember when Jin and M went island looking? she knew the sandbar, but not the other islands.... and ok, so not the sun, yes sending them whole would be good enough, but what about poiting the heart of someone into that someone's hands still beating...... ok, so this gore thing is getting out of hand with me. I promise I'll quit it.
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MrFireDragon wrote:Oh but she can poit to places she hasn't been, remember when Jin and M went island looking? she knew the sandbar, but not the other islands.... and ok, so not the sun, yes sending them whole would be good enough, but what about poiting the heart of someone into that someone's hands still beating...... ok, so this gore thing is getting out of hand with me. I promise I'll quit it.
Monica may not do that, but May or Jin might. (And probably had at some point)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jerry Lewis

Post by Jerry Lewis »

It occurs to me that Monica has been accepting the mythical beings in her life like someone walking through the zoo, observing the bears and lions and noting only their beauty. Today's reaction is the scream of someone who's just noticed there are no bars between herself and the apex predators all around her.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:I don't think she can poit anything to the sun since she hasn't been there, but poiting them near to where that tropical island used to be would be good enough. Of course poiting a Titan or some such being anywhere, including the sun, would only urinate them off.
She can see it - that has to be how she and Jin found Dangerous Islands #1 and #2 - either with Google Earth or by poiting high up, as far as they can see in a series of hops where you re-poit before you really start to fall...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jerry Lewis wrote:It occurs to me that Monica has been accepting the mythical beings in her life like someone walking through the zoo, observing the bears and lions and noting only their beauty. Today's reaction is the scream of someone who's just noticed there are no bars between herself and the apex predators all around her.
Yeah, well - as has been mentioned in several comments on this thread:

"You think I'm locked in here with you. No - you're locked in with me."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Point 1: For those who wondered how Phix could eat the Whole Thing. The entire body is not consumed only the meat. Phix is a carnivor after all. She may break the bones for the marrow but she won't eat them. For those who have hunted when the kill is cleaned you can loose up to 50% of the body weight just with skin, bones, horns, and entails. The heart, kidneys, liver, adn brains do get eaten but not the rest. I have friends who do hunt. One shot a 250 pound stag and took it to a local butcher who dresses and preps the meat. My friend only got 130 pounds of venison back. So Phix is not having to eat that much in one sitting.

Point 2: Phix''s litter box has to be the forest right! Why else would all the shpinx's be hanging around there for. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:"You think I'm locked in here with you. No - you're locked in with me."
Nice Watchmen (Rorschach) quote.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

zachariah wrote: Phix''s litter box has to be the forest right! Why else would all the shpinx's be hanging around there for. lol.
I know of several people that have gotten their feline companions to use a toilet instead of a litter-box, so for all we know Phix uses a big commode. But I do not want to have to deal with the sewer from the library right now.

Also, I think she is gonna need a lot of roughage to pass that mass.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dealing with the sewer isn't the problem. It's what's LIVING in the sewers. Even the alligators won't go near it.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wdot wrote:
Julie wrote:Hmm? Monica can poit herself and others...unless she decides to be cruel or evil, how is she dangerous?
Think about Jin poiting various 'things' to get Monica ready. Imagine if Monica decided to 'poit' somebodys heart into the lake instead of just them. She's potentially dangerous as he!!. Not that she'd do anything like that right? :shock:
That's why I specified "unless she decides to be cruel or evil" when I asked how she was dangerous. I'm well aware that her poiting ability could be used with ill intent and deadly effect, but M hasn't shown herself to be interested in or capable of that kind of behavior yet (and I'm throwing a "yet" in just in case she has a change of heart somewhere down the line :P).

MrFireDragon wrote:Well there are several pointers that Paul has given us, first she is a portal, a closed portal, but portals can always find a way to get opened... she isn't sealed, just closed...
That's an interesting theory...and I hope it's wrong because I really don't want to see an arc of "Return of the Demon Queen." I like it when bad guys who are locked away stay that way. :P
MrFireDragon wrote:when shot at, either the bullets went through her and bounced off her by a power of her own that is triggered by reflex and not yet controlled or even truly discovered.
Based on this strip http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-case-of-beer/, it seems that the "bullet-dodging" was related to her self-preservation poiting, so unless Paul throws one of his trademark wrenches in our mental gears again, I don't think that it represents an unknown or undiscovered power.
MrFireDragon wrote:She is idolized by several immortal and mythological beings, big guns will always look up to bigger guns, not the other way around, so they know something she doesn't know yet.
Again, I think it's an interesting theory, but she's a glyph reader, and that made her important and special to those big guns from the start. The involvement of Phix and Euryale could be attributed to their knowledge of the Calendar Machine problem and the fact that Monica was involved in the solution. Big Guns sometimes look up to/out for smaller guns because they care, so she's not necessarily a "bigger gun"...though it is possible.
MrFireDragon wrote:But most of all and ss I mentioned in another post, she is the main character of this story. Main characters always tend to have a road to self discovery where they find their own powers, true, she has found some, but I believe she is yet to discover her own powers and control over other magical or mythological creatures. As main character she will hold the highest power that will require the strongest resolve and responsibility. And with great power comes grave danger to others, so yes, I do believe we will find out in the future that M can be hazardous to others in one way or another. Just, not yet.... not yet...

First we will see how those around her find their true origins and powers, because this will go much further than what we saw during the time loop arc.
I'm definitely interested in the origins of her "powers" though I halfway feel it's connected to her early childhood interactions with her "grandmother" that got her labeled as crazy. Even so, I actually enjoy the idea of a main character who isn't the most powerful character, but is instead a character who is likeable and smart enough to hold her own when surrounded by the big and powerful. :)
MrFireDragon wrote:As we have always known, we know nothing with Wapsi Universe.
Truth! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Bathorys Daughter

Julie wrote:That's an interesting theory...and I hope it's wrong because I really don't want to see an arc of "Return of the Demon Queen." I like it when bad guys who are locked away stay that way. :P
Can you name even one comic in which someone who was locked up ever stayed locked up?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Wapsi wrote:Finding that Apple Jack has the accent that I was after, after creating Euryale, I had to throw that in there. ;)
And that is what inspired me to do this.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Bathorys Daughter

shadowinthelight wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Finding that Apple Jack has the accent that I was after, after creating Euryale, I had to throw that in there. ;)
That meeting could be deadly to all diabetics within 5 miles of it.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Now that was just tooo cute & sweet. (Now where is that insulin injector)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Julie wrote:That's an interesting theory...and I hope it's wrong because I really don't want to see an arc of "Return of the Demon Queen." I like it when bad guys who are locked away stay that way. :P
Can you name even one comic in which someone who was locked up ever stayed locked up?
Of course not...which might be why comics aren't always very high on my list of favorite stories. :) I enjoy them immensely, but the tendency to do the "You only thought you'd taken care of me, MWAHAHAH!!" thing usually makes me roll my eyes. *shrugs* Just a personal preference thing.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."