The Only Way 2015-02-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

The Only Way 2015-02-06

Post by zachariah »

Both ears and tail!!!

Insert the obligatory joke about a piece of tail....

It appears that Sali admits that she retained a lot more information from the download than others realized. But this maybe conflicts with what happened after she got to the library after the adventure. She desperately wanted the information removed. The implication from then was that it was removed because it was causing Sali to mentally melt down. But now it appears that she did not melt down and retained a large amount of the information as well. This doesn't quiet jib.

I wonder if Paul needed a way to allow Sali to have a whole lote of knowledge she couldn't have normally. It does simplify plot exposition and having to provide the information from another source.
Last edited by zachariah on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
TheCollector

Re: The Only Way 2015-02-06

Post by TheCollector »

Sooo, was I the only one who had that talk show noise when all the woman go, Wooooooooooo!! When Nadette kissed her?
captnq

Post by captnq »

About time!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Both ears and tail!!!
Yes, indeed. Atsali is awarded both ears and the tail!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

An ear-on AND a tail-on for Nadette....she's reeeeeally turned on right now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I think its going to turn out that what the library removed was what hadn't imprinted yet. There has to be a limit to what the brain can store and she had went way past max with a whole civilizations worth. There is no telling what all she knows at this point.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:It appears that Sali admits that she retained a lot more information from the download than others realized. But this maybe conflicts with what happened after she got to the library after the adventure. She desperately wanted the information removed. The implication from then was that it was removed because it was causing Sali to mentally melt down. But now it appears that she did not melt down and retained a large amount of the information as well. This doesn't quiet jib.
Her words at the time were "I'm fine. It's all gone." But, this was said only moments after she'd been in the throes of an "I'll have to tear my skin off to make this stop" overload and meltdown. Back at the Library, she was immediately self-composed and emotionally comfortable again.

So, "It's all gone" might refer to the torment... the sheer overwhelming immediacy of all of those personal memories of the Ethetians' madness flooding through her. It might not have referred to the abstract knowledge of their civilization.

Whn Lily asked her how much she remembered of it, she said "Almost all of it, but not as noisy as at first."

Hence, it looks as if the Library's download from her "de-personalized" the Ethetians' memories, but didn't erase the factual knowledge Atsli had gained.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yanno, at some point Atsali is going to have to say, "Would you please STOP THAT?"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
elanora

Post by elanora »

jwhouk wrote:Yanno, at some point Atsali is going to have to say, "Would you please STOP THAT?"
Why-ever would she do that?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Yanno, at some point Atsali is going to have to say, "Would you please STOP THAT?"
Or "Finish what you started!" But I think you are closer to being right. Though maybe not. Paul has introduced same sex pairing to the strip so who knows.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Well, that escalated quickly.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:It appears that Sali admits that she retained a lot more information from the download than others realized. But this maybe conflicts with what happened after she got to the library after the adventure. She desperately wanted the information removed. The implication from then was that it was removed because it was causing Sali to mentally melt down. But now it appears that she did not melt down and retained a large amount of the information as well. This doesn't quiet jib.
Her words at the time were "I'm fine. It's all gone." But, this was said only moments after she'd been in the throes of an "I'll have to tear my skin off to make this stop" overload and meltdown. Back at the Library, she was immediately self-composed and emotionally comfortable again.

So, "It's all gone" might refer to the torment... the sheer overwhelming immediacy of all of those personal memories of the Ethetians' madness flooding through her. It might not have referred to the abstract knowledge of their civilization.

Whn Lily asked her how much she remembered of it, she said "Almost all of it, but not as noisy as at first."

Hence, it looks as if the Library's download from her "de-personalized" the Ethetians' memories, but didn't erase the factual knowledge Atsli had gained.
I'm thinking that what was driving Atsali insane was the sheer number of individuals of the entire Ethetian race that was stored in the crystals. As far as they knew, they were still alive, though not able to take form. The millennia in "cold storage" so to speak drove them mad but didn't kill them. It was that insanity and the fact that they were still alive inside the crystals to try and imprint themselves on Atsali that drove her crazy. Poor kid.

That being said, Atsali is now going to be assaulted with a new kind of insanity. If she had any doubts about Nadette before this, she sure as hell doesn't now.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

zachariah wrote:
Or "Finish what you started!" But I think you are closer to being right. Though maybe not. Paul has introduced same sex pairing to the strip so who knows.
Well, one thing to consider is we're not entirely sure whether or not Atsali appreciates the advances or not. She's not outright said she has the hots for Nadette too, just been understandably embarrassed.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

I dunno, it may just be her being lost in the moment, but if you ask me she seems to be enjoying the kiss right there.

Sure it could turn the other way, but usually in comics when someone isn't, their eyes remain wide open.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Be careful of what door you open little bear... light her fuse and she can reduce you to 'gibbering idiot' in short order... and THAT might not be good JuJu where you are right now.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Akeche wrote:
zachariah wrote:
Well, one thing to consider is we're not entirely sure whether or not Atsali appreciates the advances or not. She's not outright said she has the hots for Nadette too, just been understandably embarrassed.
She did have the wing-boner, so that seems to be a point in Nadette's favor. However, Tsillah showed up and tsillahed all over the moment, so Atsali never got a chance to say anything back to Nadette.

And Nadette's resolve to not get between Atsali and Whatshisface lasted all of what? 5 minutes? :roll:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Be careful of what door you open little bear... light her fuse and she can reduce you to 'gibbering idiot' in short order... and THAT might not be good JuJu where you are right now.
Maybe it would be a good place. If the emotional explosion is strong enough it could erase the stone tape in the walls. If the stone can capture the emotional and thought processes of people why could it not be overwritten by newer strong impressions? Would that mean the cavern would need a R, or higher, rating?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Does Nadette's Seer abilities allow her to download info from others?
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

The library may not so much as removed the data from Atsali so much as it made a copy and temporarily inhibited the data in her head. Sort of like triggering a circuit breaker to prevent an overload.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Thor wrote:However, Tsillah showed up and tsillahed all over the moment, so Atsali never got a chance to say anything back to Nadette.
I'm going to have to incorporate that verb into my vocabulary.
And Nadette's resolve to not get between Atsali and Whatshisface lasted all of what? 5 minutes? :roll:
Arguably not between if she is OK with sharing. ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!