Once And For All 2015-02-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Once And For All 2015-02-05

Post by Yamara »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Stone Tape?
One of Barbara and my favorite '70s horror movies. If Atsali is thinking of the movie, her plan of action is not without merit.

Note that Monica was working along these lines when contemplating the workings of the jaguar temples.

And note especially this little long-dangling shoe:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/grabsomebeer/

History is the written word, or art that encapsulates memory. But anyone who's been on the Internet the past 15, 20 years knows that live recordings of important events are mainly full of screams.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Grantwhy wrote:
  • high levels of book smarts
  • Resourceful
  • able to recognise and solve complex problem
  • hair that defies physics
  • has been injured doing their own stunts
  • quite good at physical combat
Completely off topic, but what are the chances that, in the Waspiverse, Angus MacGyver was an Incubus? :?:
... and a tickled proud one?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

After all the fussing about the Stone Tape qualities of the jaguar temples, one would think Monica would be the right person for this job...

...until you remember her capacity for listening to others. And even what comes out of her own mouth.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/trickster/
Interesting this is the comment about how old Nudge and the library is. The library actually predates human writing so we don't know how old it is, nor do we know what other writing it holds. This strongly indicates it collects all writing, not just human. If so who knows what it has in it's archives.

It also does not grant free access but it does allow many beings to use it. So it does not control information it just preserves it. So it's imperative is to preserve knowledge. This makes it even stranger as taking an active role to retrieve information makes sense for the library, taking a role to suppress it does not. It's like there is still a third player out there above, or beyond, the library.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
captnq

Post by captnq »

Heh. Just figured it out, That's Nade's BSOD
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Apparently, Atsali likes when her hair is in a gravity defying style... :P
Gravity-defying and geometry-defying.
I think it's just a higher-order geometry, and a somewhat non-Newtonian spacetime.

"Fashion by Escher". She probably pours her shampoo out of a Klein bottle.
chaotik74

Post by chaotik74 »

Ah yes, the old "man is not ready for this so let's destroy it" cliche. makes me wonder how anything ever got built in the first place. Still I'm sure Monica and Shelly have everything well in hand.

Oh wait, it's not monica and shelly, it's two other characters that look like them and wear similar clothing. my bad.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

chaotik74 wrote:Ah yes, the old "man is not ready for this so let's destroy it" cliche. makes me wonder how anything ever got built in the first place. Still I'm sure Monica and Shelly have everything well in hand.

Oh wait, it's not monica and shelly, it's two other characters that look like them and wear similar clothing. my bad.

... except that Shelly wasn't wanting to jump Monica's bones...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
chaotik74 wrote:Ah yes, the old "man is not ready for this so let's destroy it" cliche. makes me wonder how anything ever got built in the first place. Still I'm sure Monica and Shelly have everything well in hand.

... except that Shelly wasn't wanting to jump Monica's bones...
No, that was {possibly} Heather. And it may have only been Shelly's indecisiveness that prevented at least some experimentation.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:
Thor wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Apparently, Atsali likes when her hair is in a gravity defying style... :P
Gravity-defying and geometry-defying.
I think it's just a higher-order geometry, and a somewhat non-Newtonian spacetime.

"Fashion by Escher". She probably pours her shampoo out of a Klein bottle.
This thread and the manic commentary on Physics is yet another reason I love this Forum!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"I think it's just a higher-order geometry, and a somewhat non-Newtonian spacetime.

"Fashion by Escher". She probably pours her shampoo out of a Klein bottle.[/quote]
This thread and the manic commentary on Physics is yet another reason I love this Forum![/quote]

It IS unusual that MOST of the readers here fully understand the references- I am willing to wager that most of us are middle age/post middle age nerd/geek types that actually know how to use a slide rule and can remember when a 'pocket calculator' had six functions total, could BARELY fit into a large pocket and cost as much as a used car...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

MerchManDan wrote:Heh.

N: "Knowledge of the ancients at our fingertips!! Thousands of years of information waiting to be accessed!!" :ugeek:
A: "Yes, we need to erase it immediately and never tell anyone it was ever here!!" :x
N: "....wait what" :shock:

hmmm... my original response to this at 5 am seems to have been eaten by a Grue... so i will try again, this time WITH a working flashlight in my possession...

what if that's NOT Nadette's "shocked at the thought of DESTROYING this place" expression, but her "OMFG!!! What the F is THAT!!!" expression, because she sees something that Atsali does NOT see, whether it's because she not looking in that direction, or because it's in a low light area that Atsali has already stated that she has difficulty seeing...

i think it's a combination of both... and the thing she's seeing... are any of y'all familiar with Minna Sundberg's comic "Stand Still, Stay Silent"... the monsters in that are mutated/diseased humans some of whom have *merged* together into a larger lifeform called a Troll and even larger ones called Giants... very horrific, very hard to kill... I'll bet that they are something similar, and that is the reason that Tsillah couldn't identify them was because 1) they weren't *shadows*, 2)they aren't exactly HUMAN anymore because they are the remaining psychic residue/ souls/ whatever, of the Ethititians after they escaped the Storage Crystals... Atsali said that they had been blended together (we now know it was due to the sabotage by Thup the Nu Gui)... and thus the forms that Tsillah saw, (and i suspect the Nadette is seeing RIGHT NOW) are ALSO *blended*, human-ish creepy-crawly, already insane BEFORE they went into the Crystals , and only made WORSE afterwards....

and if Atsali IS correct in her hypothesis that this IS a "Stone Tape" scenario, i agree wholeheartedly that it NEEDS to be destroyed... we Barely came thru the Cold War without nuking ourselves back to the stone age, we are barely keeping our heads above water right now as regards to WMD's and various Terrorist organizations and rival nations (not just the USA against XYZ, but ANY National Rivalry), etc... think of the chaos that would erupt if GOLEM technology were to be re-discovered from what is stone-taped here? then think about WHO would MAKE one, or more than likely, MULTIPLES?!?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It's starting to look like the Smallpox debate (Syphilis is the Great Pox, by the way).

Consider -- an organism which as part of it's reproductive cycle can simply bypass or overcome the entirety of human bio-defenses! If ever there was a way to understand a lock, examining the key is a powerful way to start. Even Mengle's work, horrible as it was, was examined by medical professionals. It might have been valuable to some degree were it not so shoddily recorded. Thus it was doubly horrible: cruel, and useless.

What secrets might the stone tapes hold, beyond the horrors of the death of Lanthis and it's peoples? We analyze train wrecks and airplane crashes for a reason -- to learn from them.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Stone Tape?
Very likely - it fits the bill. Saw it on original broadcast...