Be Right Back 2015-01-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Re: Be Right Back 2015-01-30

Post by Gyrrakavian »

KnightDelight wrote:And Thymbris makes Nudge look like a being of pure intellect and rationality. I have to wonder if she meant she lost only two mortals per-hour, on that mission of which she spoke. Safety protocols and best practices seem to be meaningless to the Library. OTOH I have to wonder if the Library suddenly put those switches there just to mess with Thymbris. It's idea of fun. Or maybe to keep them from going back to aid Atsali and swooning friend. The ways of the Library are inscrutable. Then again, has Nudge done this just to not be out-dinigbated? She has a reputation as a preeminent trickster to maintain after all. Thymbris' offspring must have had a difficult upbringing, having to try to keep mom under control all this time. It's amazing shadow girl is as rational as she is. But then children do tend to try to be the opposite of their parents. Not that it ever works out that way.
It's the Library, not Castle Heterodyne.

My money is on someone not being trope savy. Especially considering the explosion.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Dave wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:(b) someone who is invulnerable or just impossible to kill and doesn't mind (too much) about being blown up/squished/exfoliated/shot/electrocuted etc etc, and *WILL* push, pick up, poke, prod, taste etc *everything* and thus set off all possible booby traps/dangerous things.
Ahhh... an immortal version of the "(ethnic variety of your choice) Mine Detector" minor-character class. (Stomps nervously on ground, while rifling through the pockets of the sleeping troll guarding the entrance of the passage lined with stalactites and stalagmites that look strangely like sharpened teeth)

O, as Daffy Duck said, after his most recent session acting as Bugs Bunny's stunt-double stand-in, "Makeup!" (brushes off charred feathers, snaps beak back into place)
That depends on whether or not they feel pain. In the words of Prof. Tuttle, " It still hurts! Like A LOT."
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

kingklash wrote:"The bright, shiny, candy like button!"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

"Mom!"

"Now, before you say anything, I didn't touch those switches! I know your sister works here, and it's always been like her to shapeshift into irresistibly tactile objects. So I brushed the wiring behind the switches."

"MOM!!"

"Don't be upset, I didn't use the bronze brush! I know how she feels about that. I used a copper one! Nice and soft. And in case she was still hiding from last time, I used it on all the gates in this section of the complex."

"MOM!!!"

"Oh, and I'm going to need that sheep back. Trust me, it's very important."
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

[Anti-Nudge device activated.]
Phix looks at her iPhone to check on an alert, comes over.
Seems disappointed when she doesn't see nudge nuggets strewn about...walks away.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Warrl wrote:
zachariah wrote:Though I will admit that Tisallah qualifies as an idiot herself. So is this now dumb and dumber III?
Well, it certainly isn't a case of the bland leading the bland.

(depositing a copy of Sydney Scoville's Chili Cookbook in the pun jar)
Yes it is. One of them will fall and bland face first in the soup.

Drops a bottle of Volcano Blood Hot Sauce in the jar. Not to worry it does come with legal warnings and full disclosure. Bio-hazard was not required for some reason.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Dave wrote:Ahhh... an immortal version of the "(ethnic variety of your choice) Mine Detector" minor-character class.
That depends on whether or not they feel pain. In the words of Prof. Tuttle, " It still hurts! Like A LOT."
Yeah... even for immortals, being blown up isn't necessarily a shrug-it-off event and can lead to serious repercussions.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I just figured out her eyes: Lights are on, but nobody's home! :lol:
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Warrl wrote:
zachariah wrote:Though I will admit that Tisallah qualifies as an idiot herself. So is this now dumb and dumber III?
Well, it certainly isn't a case of the bland leading the bland.

(depositing a copy of Sydney Scoville's Chili Cookbook in the pun jar)
Trys to crawl in the pun jar, i need that cookbook. i love chili
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Cortanis

Post by Cortanis »

... the more I see Tsillah's mom, the more I wonder if she's actually an adult. Also, where does Tsillah get her ears from? It's clearly not from her mother. Are we going to get to see her father "out of uniform" in the future?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

KnightDelight wrote:...I have to wonder if the Library suddenly put those switches there just to mess with Thymbris. It's idea of fun.
Exactly what I thought - exactly. The Bibliothiki has been observing living creatures since time immemorial, it must have figured out that telling some of them NOT to do something will promptly result in something being done. And it must get pretty bored sometimes too, just from being a Library. So it sometimes detects some hapless scatterbrain wandering the stacks, tempts it into flipping a Forbidden Switch, and everybody present is treated to a Big Boom with no actual harm being done.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

illiad

Post by illiad »

Avenger_Reloaded wrote:[Anti-Nudge device activated.]
Phix looks at her iPhone to check on an alert, comes over.
Seems disappointed when she doesn't see nudge nuggets strewn about...walks away.
or more like "nudge, get up, you're making the place look untidy.. {yawn} "

nudge: "what, work??" groan..

phix: " c'mon, after you've finished, I'll show how to *really* mess with your mom!!! :P :D :P :D "
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Actually, the first thing I was thinking was, Phix and Nudge were sitting there, reading something, when BLAMMO!

Phix: "Your turn."

Nudge: "Again? That's the third time this week mom's triggered that alarm."

Phix: "Still - your turn."

Nudge: "We have to come up with something beyond this every-other-day thing... HEY! You know mom's schedule in Hades!"

Phix (smiling sweetly): "Your turn."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Toast, the kitchen sink, and a sheep. . .did Phix's breakfast just go kaboom?

This is at least partly the fault of the entity who set up those switches there, with no cover or locking mechanism to keep them from being switched by random passersby. I wonder about the workplace safety standards of the Library.
illiad wrote:There is a huge stink of Nudge here.... :)
Good thing that her mama is here to give her a bath, then.
oldmanmickey wrote:It is indeed a bad day when you Tsillah is the smartest one you got to send for information and equipment.
In Tsillah's defense, I suspect that she is actually fairly smart. It's the whole "sense" and "understanding" and "empathy" thing that is somewhat scarce. And it seems that the lack may be inherited (I wonder how a shadow stores genetic information?).
oldmanmickey wrote:I am staring to think mom there has only had 2 mortal paranormals ever with her.
See, she only ever lost two mortals. As for the rest of them, she knows exactly where their bodyparts are scattered.
Aed wrote:She locates and disarms traps.
And if she gets disarmed in the process, she can apparently reattach them easily.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Catawampus wrote:And if she gets disarmed in the process, she can apparently reattach them easily.
"...but YOU can't, so PLAY SAFE!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Grantwhy wrote: Wait! Oh no :shock: If Atsali realises that *everything* she writes in her diary is available to be read in the Library she will freak out :lol:
Hopefully all the diaries are in a locked section. If they aren't there are a lot of very embarased people.

However the behavioral research potential would be amazing.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Well, that was the 1st switch.

Now we have to find out what the other one does?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My2Cents wrote:Well, that was the 1st switch.

Now we have to find out what the other one does?
The first switch armed the second switch. They wanted to make sure only a complete idiot could set them off.

But maybe not. After all if the first switch seems to do nothing the second will always get thrown.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:And Thymbris makes Nudge look like a being of pure intellect and rationality. I have to wonder if she meant she lost only two mortals per-hour, on that mission of which she spoke. Safety protocols and best practices seem to be meaningless to the Library. OTOH I have to wonder if the Library suddenly put those switches there just to mess with Thymbris. It's idea of fun. Or maybe to keep them from going back to aid Atsali and swooning friend. The ways of the Library are inscrutable. Then again, has Nudge done this just to not be out-dinigbated? She has a reputation as a preeminent trickster to maintain after all. Thymbris' offspring must have had a difficult upbringing, having to try to keep mom under control all this time. It's amazing shadow girl is as rational as she is. But then children do tend to try to be the opposite of their parents. Not that it ever works out that way.
It's the Library, not Castle Heterodyne.

My money is on someone not being trope savy. Especially considering the explosion.
How do we KNOW it's not Castle Heterodyne? Der Kestel IS able to keep functioning even with Mechanicsberg in Time-Stop...

And IIRC, there's what looks like a candy dispenser in C.H. that gives out tasty looking items clearly labeled "Poison". This under a sign that says something along the lines of "Illiteracy Eliminator".

The switches might be the Library's version of that... :o