Be Right Back 2015-01-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Be Right Back 2015-01-30

Post by jwhouk »

Boom.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

And Thymbris makes Nudge look like a being of pure intellect and rationality. I have to wonder if she meant she lost only two mortals per-hour, on that mission of which she spoke. Safety protocols and best practices seem to be meaningless to the Library. OTOH I have to wonder if the Library suddenly put those switches there just to mess with Thymbris. It's idea of fun. Or maybe to keep them from going back to aid Atsali and swooning friend. The ways of the Library are inscrutable. Then again, has Nudge done this just to not be out-dingbated? She has a reputation as a preeminent trickster to maintain after all. Thymbris' offspring must have had a difficult upbringing, having to try to keep mom under control all this time. It's amazing shadow girl is as rational as she is. But then children do tend to try to be the opposite of their parents. Not that it ever works out that way.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

And Thymbris negates their efforts to help the girls.

We had to see this coming right?

1. Send two of the party for help, of course something prevents them from returning.
2. When given a choice to leave a person at a critical position the one with the least common sense and highest idiot ability will be left there to guard it.
3. Button Troph, what more needs to be said.
4. The one who left the idiot at the the critical location will always be surprised when the idiot behaves true to form. If they didn't trust that person to help them then why trust them to guard something important? I mean come on. Anytime I had an idiot to cope with I kept them right next to me so I could keep an eye on them and prevent their doing damage.

Though I will admit that Tisallah qualifies as an idiot herself. So is this now dumb and dumber III?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Now I understand why Thymbris was sent on this mission. :!:

When you have to to explore a lost/hidden area/place that is probably booby trapped or is just very dangerous ... who do you send?

(a) A crack team of experts who, if everything goes according to plan^, will all survive but if something goes wrong, hard to replace people *will* die :(

or

(b) someone who is invulnerable or just impossible to kill and doesn't mind (too much) about being blown up/squished/exfoliated/shot/electrocuted etc etc, and *WILL* push, pick up, poke, prod, taste etc *everything* and thus set off all possible booby traps/dangerous things.

Sure, once Thymbris is finished you will have a lot less to find, and probably most of that will be in pieces, but no-one will be killed :)

Unless you make the mistake of sending mortal paranormals with her, and from the sounds of things the MIB may have only made that mistake once - remember, the MIB did not want Atsali and Nadette there, the Library sent them .....

..... hmmm :?: .....

..... I know the Library has copies of everything written, but is that just stuff written in the past/now?

*IF* the Library has copies of stuff that Will Be Written! (sealed section, no-one allowed access), then that might explain just why Katherine and Atsali got sent (by the Library) on their big adventure, and why Atsali and Nadette have been sent on this one. The Library has a copy of something that chronicled both of these events and knows who will survive and what will be found.

Maybe a budding young author writes about her adventures in a diary?

Wait! Oh no :shock: If Atsali realises that *everything* she writes in her diary is available to be read in the Library she will freak out :lol:

^ hahahah ..... having watch a lot of Stargate and Star Trek, yeah, that's going to happen :lol:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

So that shiny button that shouldn't have been pressed by Thymbris broke the website as well as the fourth wall!?
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

DilyV wrote:Tsillah: "MOOOOOM!!!!! You had one job....."

Question is... What blew the hell up? And did it affect their ability to get back to Atsali and Nadette?
everything... including the kitchen sink and the neighborhood sheep it would appear those switches blew up the library
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:(b) someone who is invulnerable or just impossible to kill and doesn't mind (too much) about being blown up/squished/exfoliated/shot/electrocuted etc etc, and *WILL* push, pick up, poke, prod, taste etc *everything* and thus set off all possible booby traps/dangerous things.
Ahhh... an immortal version of the "(ethnic variety of your choice) Mine Detector" minor-character class. (Stomps nervously on ground, while rifling through the pockets of the sleeping troll guarding the entrance of the passage lined with stalactites and stalagmites that look strangely like sharpened teeth)

O, as Daffy Duck said, after his most recent session acting as Bugs Bunny's stunt-double stand-in, "Makeup!" (brushes off charred feathers, snaps beak back into place)
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Has anyone seen my toast?
Aed

Post by Aed »

Now we see the important role that Thymbris fills for this adventure team. She locates and disarms traps. (e.g. I Found The Trap) :lol:

Unfinished business: We still don't know what Thymbris was putting in her mouth the other day. Throw away gag perhaps or a foreshadowing of things to come?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:*IF* the Library has copies of stuff that Will Be Written! (sealed section, no-one allowed access), then that might explain just why Katherine and Atsali got sent (by the Library) on their big adventure, and why Atsali and Nadette have been sent on this one. The Library has a copy of something that chronicled both of these events and knows who will survive and what will be found.

Maybe a budding young author writes about her adventures in a diary?

Wait! Oh no :shock: If Atsali realises that *everything* she writes in her diary is available to be read in the Library she will freak out :lol:
Well, we know she writes best-selling YA adventures. I've already suggested that perhaps the Library has copies of her books (which are fictionalised versions of her own real adventures) in the closed stacks, and it's sending her on these things because if she doesn't have the adventures so she can write the books the paradox will give the Library indigestion.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Aed wrote:Now we see the important role that Thymbris fills for this adventure team. She locates and disarms traps. (e.g. I Found The Trap) :lol:

Unfinished business: We still don't know what Thymbris was putting in her mouth the other day. Throw away gag perhaps or a foreshadowing of things to come?
Noodle incident.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

That sound effect behind Tsillah may be "BLAMMO!", but I wonder if it's a complete coincidence that the only visible letters spell BMO...
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Phrygians were proverbial among the Greeks and Romans for stupidity. (Kind but stupid Midas, of the golden touch and ass's ears, was king of Phrygia.)

Thymbris is a river in Phrygia.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Question is... What blew the hell up? And did it affect their ability to get back to Atsali and Nadette?
The answer is "Strawberry poptart" did you not see the toaster? Go ahead and Google it if you don't believe me. . . . :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

meisdadoo wrote:

The answer is "Strawberry poptart" did you not see the toaster? Go ahead and Google it if you don't believe me. . . . :lol:
That also ties with Tsillah's "Don't put that in your mouth" admonition.
sheik

Post by sheik »

I take it that this is the outcome of being born without a prefrontal cortex.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"The bright, shiny, candy like button!"
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Mark N wrote:Well, we know several things about Thymbris now :
1) Momma is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
2) She is horrible at instilling confidence in people.
3) She has an attraction to the "bright shinny button".
4) Disaster is her middle name.
5) Shaun the Sheep must hate her.
And that whatever rank she has, is likely due to field promotion(s). Possibly the results of her own actions.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

captnq wrote:In her defense, if I was standing next to two switches with that sign next to them, I'd be flipping them up and down like I was getting paid in about twenty seconds.
Am I the only person whose sense of self-preservation can override their curiosity?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

zachariah wrote:Though I will admit that Tisallah qualifies as an idiot herself. So is this now dumb and dumber III?
Well, it certainly isn't a case of the bland leading the bland.

(depositing a copy of Sydney Scoville's Chili Cookbook in the pun jar)