That Other Mission 2015-01-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Re: That Other Mission 2015-01-27

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/that-other-mission/

Yup, dingier than a little boat.
Hmmm.. THAT'S where Tsillah gets it from, eh? Remember when we first met Tsillah, I wrote a limerick about her being the love child of Pippi Longstockings and Dr. Seuss? By appearance, I wasn't far off the mark... except those 'Orphan Annie' eyes.

... hey... if you whisper in her ear, does the echo come out her eye sockets? Just thought I'd ask...
Well, now we know they're not goggles. She's got blonked out eyes.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

zachariah wrote:Not the most reassuring pep talk I've ever heard.

"I've haven't lost more than two mortal paranormals under my watch!" That means she has not bothered to keep count of how many she's lost.

"Safety Emergency Plan and Escape Thing contingency." THis means we kinda know what they are and are supposed to have them. Did mom remember to have one now?

It appears that Sali can learn from experience. She remembered that SH*T HAPPENS and things can go wrong. We will now see an impromptu performance of the Four Stooges, and yes there was a short time when there was four of them.

Shadows may be Lily and friend arriving.
Which one of these four will die of a stroke?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

ActionKermit wrote:
eee wrote: (Have we ever learned how her name is pronounced, by the way? AT-sa-li, At-SA-li, At-sal-i, Ats-ali, At-sal-lee...)
It's a Greek name, so I'd expect the emphasis to be on the second-to-last syllable (SA in this case).
Pretty much what i've been assuming.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:There were actually five stooges. Moe, Larry, Curly, Curly Joe, and Shemp.

At one time a survey was taken and when men were asked which people were the role models that appealed to them the most. Surprisingly Moe came in as number 4 on the list.
In addition to Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Shemp Howard, Jerome "Curly" Howard and "Curly Joe" DeRita, there was also "Joe" Besser (for one year).

Joe Palma acted briefly as a stand-in for Shemp after Shemp's death, and Emil Sitka played the Larry spot in a final Stooges revival attempt in 1975 after Larry Fine's death.

So, The Three Stooges were actually six Stooges, or perhaps as many as eight, although only three at a time. Moe was the only member of all of the lineups, with Larry being in all but the last.

Math is wonderful!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:There were actually five stooges. Moe, Larry, Curly, Curly Joe, and Shemp.

At one time a survey was taken and when men were asked which people were the role models that appealed to them the most. Surprisingly Moe came in as number 4 on the list.
In addition to Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Shemp Howard, Jerome "Curly" Howard and "Curly Joe" DeRita, there was also "Joe" Besser (for one year).

Joe Palma acted briefly as a stand-in for Shemp after Shemp's death, and Emil Sitka played the Larry spot in a final Stooges revival attempt in 1975 after Larry Fine's death.

So, The Three Stooges were actually six Stooges, or perhaps as many as eight, although only three at a time. Moe was the only member of all of the lineups, with Larry being in all but the last.

Math is wonderful!
It is. But the challenge is to spout this information without checking google. That is why I is wrong sometimes. I am sure you didn't google this information.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

Thymbris? That motivational speaking class you took? It's time to ask for a refund.

I would love for this to be a joke but MIB doesn't strike me as the type of group to waste agents time on pranks.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Menaced by darkness and shadows? Perhaps they need to call on Cricket to give them a light.

This could all be just Tsillah and Thymbris pranking the other girls (remember who their family consists of, after all). Or not. Either way, they seem to be quite the interesting family and I wonder what their holiday gatherings must be like.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:It is. But the challenge is to spout this information without checking google. That is why I is wrong sometimes. I am sure you didn't google this information.
Yes and no.

I remembered Joe Besser, and that his tenure with the Stooges fell after Curly, but before "Curly Joe" DeRita... I'd seen all of them in the Stooges shorts and feature films back during my childhood in the 60s. So, I knew there were at least six Stooges.

I used Google and Wikipedia to chase down the later details. I don't think I'd known about (or seen) either Palma or Sitka.

My recollection/opinion is that both Shemp and Curly were "originals" - quite distinct in their characters. Besser and DeRita seemed to mostly be emulating Curly.

As to the religious war about whether Shemp was "better" than Curly, or vice versa... no comment. ;)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

oldmanmickey wrote:From an old favorite tv show Buffy-
Xander: As long as nothing really bad happens between now and then, you'll be fine.
Buffy: Are you crazy? What did you say that for? Now something bad is gonna happen!
Xander: Whaddaya mean? Nothing's gonna happen.
Willow: Not until some dummy says, 'as long as nothing bad happens!'
Buffy: It's the ultimate jinx!
Willow: What were you thinking? Or were you even thinking at all?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Somebody got the twin sisters mixed up and mentioned Berdine, but it's Nadette who's along for the ride this time. [And she's so happy to be, fer sure]
(I was hoping to see the Twins* and Atsali doing more stuff together...)
*(yeah, OK, go ahead, make the joke...)

That said, I knew somebody else (body being relative...) would show up in this caper, but for some reason I thought they (MIB maybe?) was having an Avengers Assemble! moment and at least Cricket/Calista (and Berdine, natch) would be in it with the first two.

harumph...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Its still very much possible they will show up. To paraphrase an older show "Who knows what evil lurks in The Shadows. Tisallah obviously is a no."
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
sheik

Post by sheik »

TazManiac wrote:Somebody got the twin sisters mixed up and mentioned Berdine, but it's Nadette who's along for the ride this time. [And she's so happy to be, fer sure]
(I was hoping to see the Twins* and Atsali doing more stuff together...)
*(yeah, OK, go ahead, make the joke...)

That said, I knew somebody else (body being relative...) would show up in this caper, but for some reason I thought they (MIB maybe?) was having an Avengers Assemble! moment and at least Cricket/Calista (and Berdine, natch) would be in it with the first two.

harumph...
Which brings to mind Calista's talent with gossamer.
If she is there, it stands to reason she's using it to trip any booby traps.
I will leave the finishing of that thought to the students.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Moe Howard: Moses Harry Horwitz (June 19, 1897 – May 4, 1975)
Larry Fine: Louis Feinberg (October 5, 1902 – January 24, 1975)
Curly Howard: Jerome Lester Horwitz (October 22, 1903 – January 18, 1952)
Shemp Howard: Samuel Horwitz (March 11, 1895 – November 22, 1955)
Shemp's body double: Joe Palma (March 17, 1905 – August 14, 1994) born as Joseph Provenzano-- aka "Fake Shemp"
Shemp's (brief) replacement : "Joe" Besser (August 12, 1907 – March 1, 1988) (some would argue that he was never a real "Stooge")
Curly Joe: (Curly) Joe DeRita (July 12, 1909 – July 3, 1993), born Joseph Wardell

and Ted Heally was never a "Stooge", even though the others worked with him briefly in their early careers in Vaudeville.

Just going leave this here for all my fellow 3 stooges fans:

(and Google was invented so we wouldn't have to remember all the details, it is enough that to be aware of its existence and recall sufficient data for a quick search. The internet on the other hand was created for . . .well, go ask the kids on Avenue Q http://www.avenueq.com/ )
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

sheik wrote:Which brings to mind Calista's talent with gossamer.
Wouldn't that be more Atsali's job, though?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
To quote AnotherFairportfan: Hsssssss. :)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

meisdadoo wrote:Shemp's (brief) replacement : "Joe" Besser (August 12, 1907 – March 1, 1988) (some would argue that he was never a real "Stooge")
Hmm. I cut the line about Curly, but i see i share a birthday with him (and with Dory Previn).

At the end of This is Spinal Tap, we see their latest drummer - Joe "Mama" Besser.
and Ted Heally was never a "Stooge", even though the others worked with him briefly in their early careers in Vaudeville.
Yeah - but he didn't work with them - he was top banana, and they worked for him, as "Ted Heally and His Stooges", "stooge" being a term for a not-very-bright minion.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

oldmanmickey wrote:Its still very much possible they will show up. To paraphrase an older show "Who knows what evil lurks in The Shadows. Tisallah obviously is a no."
Very, very weak.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote:
Weaker.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Yeah - but he didn't work with them - he was top banana, and they worked for him, as "Ted Heally and His Stooges", "stooge" being a term for a not-very-bright minion.
According to various sources, Heally was rather abrasive, and was an alcoholic, and (one source says) the Stooges asserted he was misappropriating money that they were owed under contract. So, they left and set out on their own group career.

Hence, he was the top banana, until he fudged the books, at which point they split... bringing an end to what many said was the parfait vaudeville act.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

sheik wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:"...where nothing can possibly go worng."
...go wrong...go wrong...
Or is that go worng...go worng...?
SEE!... THAT'S what can go wrong...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac