Leave 2012-08-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Leave 2012-08-15

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:See, Phix wasn't bein' mean. She was chest giving him a good ribbin'.
Pun Jar needs feeding. Mass Quantities.
Word of God says it was a girl sphinx.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:Or start bringing Brandi with her again for some protection.
True, however she does have that emergency auto-poit thing going for her, so she could probably get out of any dire situation with such creatures. Unless, of course, some have a counter to that ability. Previously she was just out poiting explosions. Not to mention the possibility of being followed wherever she poits by another poit-capable being. Ok, you're right, bring Brandi AND Bud!
Her instinctive poiting is her best defense. Still, she is supposed to have guardians, isn't she?

Phix is invulnerable to all but other sphinxes in the Library, but I'm starting to get curious about Euryale's involvement.

Phix noted that even Brandi couldn't stop her in the Library, but plainly Brandi could poit M to safety, as could Bud.

Bud once told Brandi she didn't like Phix, because she was a celebrity for having done horrible things in the past. As usual with our favorite Common Sense Golem, she has a better handle on the graver dangers facing them than everybody else:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/punishmentenough/

Jin of course is fragile now, but with a clear head must know better ways to guard M against the beings she faced in antiquity. And she is the teleportation grandmaster. The golems are supposed to be her posse, and they're noticeably absent.

For some reason, Euryale seems to have gotten the job of shepherding Monica here, above all these others. Maybe just as Phix is unreliable in this bloody situation, so too would be the former Chimera.
Last edited by Yamara on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

<cue electric organ>

...and what about Spooky Shadow Girl and her Amazing Hellhounds?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Fairportfan wrote:<cue electric organ>

If Naomi-- I mean, if Tsillah = Scylla, or a close relative, we're back in the Stygian family again. Her being there to aid Shelly, and being a fangirl of the Companion probably hint at what that side of Shell's lineage is like.

Also, does someone have to be your fan before helping you in Wapsiworld? Whatever happened to heroes and companions that fought each other before becoming friends, like Enkidu, Little John and Lancelot?

I guess there's Doubt and Company. Hey, Panic. How's every li'l thing?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Jin of course is fragile now, but with a clear head must know better ways to guard M against the beings she faced in antiquity. And she is the teleportation grandmaster. The golems are supposed to be her posse, and they're noticeably absent.

For some reason, Euryale seems to have gotten the job of shepherding Monica here, above all these others.
In the GG's defense (and Euryale's)... it looks as if Monica's appearance in the Library this time was supposed to be a safe, friendly social call - just checking up to see how Shelly was doing in her "How to manage your sphinx nature in ten easy lessons" exercises. Phix has always been quite gentle (as sphinxes go) towards Monica, and (with the exception of Tina 2.0 / Nudge) hasn't ever actually done anything worse to any visitor we have seen than scare them.

I don't think there was any advanced warning to anyone, that the situation was going to go hyperbolic so quickly or completely. Nobody expected M to be arriving there, right into the midst of one of the worst legend-powered family-crisis situations since the day Oedipus said "You know, I really wish I had known all this quite a bit sooner!".

As to "Why Euryale" - as far as I can tell, it's voluntary on her part - remember, she's a serious fangirl of both Monica and Shelly, and probably jumped at the opportunity to go along with Monica. Monica's quite capable of poiting to the library on her own, and has done so repeatedly in the past... she hasn't even thought of needing a chaperone or bodyguard for her Library visits, and Euryale may not have thought in those terms either.

At least, them's my guesses :)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:Jin of course is fragile now, but with a clear head must know better ways to guard M against the beings she faced in antiquity. And she is the teleportation grandmaster. The golems are supposed to be her posse, and they're noticeably absent.

For some reason, Euryale seems to have gotten the job of shepherding Monica here, above all these others.
In the GG's defense (and Euryale's)... it looks as if Monica's appearance in the Library this time was supposed to be a safe, friendly social call - just checking up to see how Shelly was doing in her "How to manage your sphinx nature in ten easy lessons" exercises. Phix has always been quite gentle (as sphinxes go) towards Monica, and (with the exception of Tina 2.0 / Nudge) hasn't ever actually done anything worse to any visitor we have seen than scare them.

I don't think there was any advanced warning to anyone, that the situation was going to go hyperbolic so quickly or completely. Nobody expected M to be arriving there, right into the midst of one of the worst legend-powered family-crisis situations since the day Oedipus said "You know, I really wish I had known all this quite a bit sooner!".

As to "Why Euryale" - as far as I can tell, it's voluntary on her part - remember, she's a serious fangirl of both Monica and Shelly, and probably jumped at the opportunity to go along with Monica. Monica's quite capable of poiting to the library on her own, and has done so repeatedly in the past... she hasn't even thought of needing a chaperone or bodyguard for her Library visits, and Euryale may not have thought in those terms either.

At least, them's my guesses :)
I like your reasoning here. Euryale is also a scholar. I think Monica would like to be friends with another intellectually curious being. Also, don't forget Euryale is a Titan, and would be perfectly suited to defend Monica if the need would arise. If she told the GGG's she was visiting The Library to see how Shelly was doing and Euryale was going to go along, that would seem to be about as safe as it could get. Another thing, Euryale did advise (icely) that Monica shouldn't follow Phix and when they ran into her accidently steered her around and said let's walk outside. So she was keeping her safe.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Yamara wrote:Also, does someone have to be your fan before helping you in Wapsiworld? Whatever happened to heroes and companions that fought each other before becoming friends, like Enkidu, Little John and Lancelot?

when did Enkidu and Lancelot fight? the fight must have been about who pays for the Pizza right?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

Fairportfan wrote:<cue electric organ>

dj shadow's organ donor: you're welcome!

anyways the gollems aren't omnipresent nor are they omniscient. besides the library is quite possibly outside the universe as physical strength seems to be governed by who is employed there, it has books that technically shouldn't exist for the good of humanity and also don't exist in the library except that it has existed at some time, and oh yeah IT FREAKING TALKS!

also i'm quite amazed that WOG says that the dead sphix was a lady, i know that the artist prides himself with trying to be at least a little realistic in the boob size department, Monica not withstanding, but the only other woman/being with boobs that small is the creepy demon lady who fries spiders with her eyeballs and is serving coffee. and we had a cute Barista outfit to help us out then though.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wdot wrote:Also, don't forget Euryale is a Titan, and would be perfectly suited to defend Monica if the need would arise.
Actually, no - she's a Gorgon.

Which makes her the daughter of Phorcys and Ceto, and the sister of Echidna, who was (or wasn't, depending on how you read the texts) the mother of Phix.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

If you walk up on a lioness over a kill, you get the same look - and the same message, just in Lionspeak - a long, low, threatening bass-to-midrange rumble. And eye contact, always - that in itself is a threat/challenge.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Which would make Eurayle Shelly's great-great-aunt, since her sister would be Shelly's great-grandmother.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:If you walk up on a lioness over a kill, you get the same look - and the same message, just in Lionspeak - a long, low, threatening bass-to-midrange rumble. And eye contact, always - that in itself is a threat/challenge.
If you walk up on a housecat over a kill...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

sonicthunder wrote:So now that Monica's witnessed this, how much worse can this visit to the library get for her?
First, NEVER ask how much worse can (X) get. The universe is perverse, and will try to show you.

Second - well, she has not yet been attacked by fire-breathing Hell Hounds.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:So now that Monica's witnessed this, how much worse can this visit to the library get for her?
First, NEVER ask how much worse can (X) get. The universe is perverse, and will try to show you.

She doesn't have two shadows, yet.

[Though i figure she's gonna get told "Silence in the Library!", even if it does sound like Ook!Ooook!ook."]
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:

[Though i figure she's gonna get told "Silence in the Library!", even if it does sound like Ook!Ooook!ook."]
The TARDIS is waiting on your Pun Jar donation.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote: First, NEVER ask how much worse can (X) get. The universe is perverse, and will try to show you.

There is no pun in what i posted.

An allusion, perhaps, but no pun.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

n4nln wrote:"Nice kitty kitty" would seem to be inadequate.
Not only inadequate, but a good way to become the desert to go with Phix's lunch for mocking her.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Yamara wrote: Her instinctive poiting is her best defense. Still, she is supposed to have guardians, isn't she?

Phix is invulnerable to all but other sphinxes in the Library, but I'm starting to get curious about Euryale's involvement.

Phix noted that even Brandi couldn't stop her in the Library, but plainly Brandi could poit M to safety, as could Bud.

Bud once told Brandi she didn't like Phix, because she was a celebrity for having done horrible things in the past. As usual with our favorite Common Sense Golem, she has a better handle on the graver dangers facing them than everybody else:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/punishmentenough/

Jin of course is fragile now, but with a clear head must know better ways to guard M against the beings she faced in antiquity. And she is the teleportation grandmaster. The golems are supposed to be her posse, and they're noticeably absent.

For some reason, Euryale seems to have gotten the job of shepherding Monica here, above all these others. Maybe just as Phix is unreliable in this bloody situation, so too would be the former Chimera.
There's also Tepoz, but he's been enjoying his vacation of late.

I wouldn't bring Bud to the library though. Her resentment of Phix, let alone most other 'supernaturals', would probably end with her picking a fight.

Though now there's a problem. Brandi we know is too smart for her own good. And when Bud rants about Phix, Brandi makes comments like "I wouldn't wish her fate on anyone". It's a bit of a long shot, but Brandi may not have been referring to the imprisonment in the Library back here.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Dave wrote:
Dave11 wrote: Well, how about that.

di-di-di-dit di-dit!
--.- ... -.-- - --- - .... . .--. ..- -. ...- .- ..- .-.. - ..--..
Wow, is my code rusty - had to look up "Y", "U", "V", "L" and "?".

I need to get somewhere I can set up a rig again...stupid apartment complex...
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Though i figure she's gonna get told "Silence in the Library!", even if it does sound like Ook!Ooook!ook."]
There is no pun in what i posted.

An allusion, perhaps, but no pun.
The judges rule against you, Fairportfan, and say that you should pay up.

They say that you are trying to make a distinction which does not truly exist.

When it comes to puns, all is allusion.

(*clink.clank.clunk*)
Last edited by Dave on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.