Leave 2012-08-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Leak

Re: Leave 2012-08-15

Post by Leak »

Yamara wrote:
Leak wrote:"Do not taunt unhappy no-fun Sphinxball..." (rated naught to infinite sad onions for extreme violence and gore)
:lol: Classic, Leak!
Forgot to ask - how much is that in PunPal credits?
analyst

Post by analyst »

I, too, got chills when I saw that. But I shouldered on. (Clink) I could almost see that panel being an internet meme. Kind of a fill in the blank sort of thing. Instead of leave, maybe "next"?
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Never take a sphinx's dish away from her before she's done eating.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

illiad wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Atomic wrote:Show me somebody who waxes poetic about "Being at one with Nature" and I'll show you someone who hasn't figured out that Nature is an infinite stomach demanding to be fed.
Civilization rests on a few inches of top soil and the fact it rains.
Too true. How about this one;
"There are many humorous things in the world, among them the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages." ~Mark Twain, Following the Equator, 1897
Also, Paul this is a fantastic one.
too true. try saying that to a vegetarian! :D
For the overly idyllic vegetarian, may I suggest reading "The Desert Year" by Joseph Wood Krutch. A naturalist and philosopher wandering the Southwestern US, one topic he touches isthe struggle for life of desert flora with that of the rainforest. The battle of plant vs plant is every bit as forceful and devastating as they compete for light, water, and reproduction.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Atomic wrote:Show me somebody who waxes poetic about "Being at one with Nature" and I'll show you someone who hasn't figured out that Nature is an infinite stomach demanding to be fed.

The veneer of civilization is mighty thin
we're all barbarians beneath the skin.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Leak wrote:
Yamara wrote:
Leak wrote:"Do not taunt unhappy no-fun Sphinxball..." (rated naught to infinite sad onions for extreme violence and gore)
:lol: Classic, Leak!
Forgot to ask - how much is that in PunPal credits?
I get a monthly statement, so I'd have to dig to check. However, the adbots on the PunPal site are suddenly offering discounts at Pizza Hut.

Y'know, if you really wanted to set a trap to hunt demons...
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

A vivid and striking example of selective use of color having a wallop of an impact, emotionally!
What a contrast between Monica and Euryale talking and Phix feeding like the apex predator she is. Cue "Maneater" by Hall and Oates. I know there is another connotation to it, but I always think of The Ghost and the Darkness when I hear the term.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Julie

Post by Julie »

davids4250 wrote:Yup, expected them to show up at the wrong time. I think Mon will have questions for Phix when everything settles down. Dunno if she'll get any answers though.
Love the Phix panel!
Based on the look on Monica's face as Euryale directs her out, I'd say she might not be making any visits to the Library in the near future. Phix may have to come see her on her own turf (maybe stop by Mucho Mocha?) with a "sorry you had to see that, but at least now you know we're dangerous" kind of demeanor for Monica to be comfortable around her again.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wdot wrote:A vivid and striking example of selective use of color having a wallop of an impact, emotionally!
What a contrast between Monica and Euryale talking and Phix feeding like the apex predator she is. Cue "Maneater" by Hall and Oates. I know there is another connotation to it, but I always think of The Ghost and the Darkness when I hear the term.
My thoughts exactly! :) Great page today Paul!!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

analyst wrote:I, too, got chills when I saw that. But I shouldered on. (Clink) I could almost see that panel being an internet meme. Kind of a fill in the blank sort of thing. Instead of leave, maybe "next"?
I'm a computer programmer, and like many of my ilk I occasionaly go on intense coding binges, when I'm deep into the effort of thinking through a problem and designing/coding the solution. At times like that, it's painful and expensive to have my concentration broken... especially by people who want help on entirely unrelated issues.

A guy I know used to put up a sign saying "Do not disturb! Coding snit in progress!" for this situation. I've used similar signs at times... a three-way "Answering questions / Make it quick / Biting heads off" pointer-wheel was my best to date.

I think a print of the second panel, just as it is, would get the point across admirably. Paul, if you ever do open up a CafePress store, this panel would make a wonderful small poster or warning sign. :twisted:
St. Cynic

Post by St. Cynic »

[quote=]"For the overly idyllic vegetarian, may I suggest reading "The Desert Year" by Joseph Wood Krutch. A naturalist and philosopher wandering the Southwestern US, one topic he touches isthe struggle for life of desert flora with that of the rainforest. The battle of plant vs plant is every bit as forceful and devastating as they compete for light, water, and reproduction.[/quote]

I would suspect that most idyllic vegetarians have never really been hungry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Would you like some fries with that Natural Order?
n4nln

Post by n4nln »

"Nice kitty kitty" would seem to be inadequate.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

n4nln wrote:"Nice kitty kitty" would seem to be inadequate.
Your username: a Ham callsign?
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

starkruzr wrote:
Well, how about that.

di-di-di-dit di-dit!
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
BallBearingMousetrap

Post by BallBearingMousetrap »

I think this will be a classic case of "I'm sorry you had to see that." Not sorry it happened, just understanding that Monica wasn't really ready to deal with it, if she ever will be.

In my college circle, someone playing The Wall at high volume could generally be interpreted as "leave" in exactly that (mono)tone of voice. "This is not a good time. I'm not safe to be around. Don't try to help right now, just give me space."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

sonicthunder wrote:Or start bringing Brandi with her again for some protection.
True, however she does have that emergency auto-poit thing going for her, so she could probably get out of any dire situation with such creatures. Unless, of course, some have a counter to that ability. Previously she was just out poiting explosions. Not to mention the possibility of being followed wherever she poits by another poit-capable being. Ok, you're right, bring Brandi AND Bud!
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave11 wrote:
starkruzr wrote:
Well, how about that.

di-di-di-dit di-dit!
--.- ... -.-- - --- - .... . .--. ..- -. ...- .- ..- .-.. - ..--..
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:See, Phix wasn't bein' mean. She was chest giving him a good ribbin'.
Pun Jar needs feeding. Mass Quantities.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wdot wrote:

The veneer of civilization is mighty thin
we're all barbarians beneath the skin.
what keeps a man alive?
he lives on others ...
likes to taste them first
then eat them whole if he can
forgets that they're supposed to be his brothers -
that he himself was ever called a man

(Brecht/Weill/Blitzstein - "The Second Threepenny Finale")
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber