Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk

Re: Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Post by jwhouk »

Instinct. Pure instinct. :) ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
bdgoodfriend

Post by bdgoodfriend »

the SHADOW knows... heheheheheheheheheh :?: :?: :?:
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Nadette's "not get in your way" comment eases some of the concern I voiced yesterday. Of course, this confirms to Atsali the level of Nadette's attraction.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

mumble, grumble;
stupid wings pop whenever the wind blows...
:oops: :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

O.M.G... Asali has shadow-goo all over her knuckles. That's gonna leave a mark... one place or another. :shock:

And, it seems that Tsillah didn't get the memo last time, about not using Library facilities to manipulate people. People tend to resent being manipulated. In this case, The Shadow didn't know. 8-)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Siren powers - activate!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Thor

Post by Thor »

Hmm. Let's take it in reverse order.

3) How does Nadette know Tsillah? Do we have any real answers, or just speculation?

2) Tsillah still has all the people skills and common sense of a golf ball.

1) Nadette, you can say that your are not getting in their way, but isn't opening Atsali's eyes to the idea that there might be other people out there that she might find as (even more) compatible "getting in the way"? It certainly seems to me that it would be a big distraction that would cause Atsali to overthink things when it comes to Jacob, at the very least. "Jacob is being so considerate. Wait, would Nadette be this considerate? More considerate? Why am I thinking of her when I'm with him, darn it?!"

"Shh, relax, babe. I'm not going to bite. And I'm not going to get in your way with Jacob. I'm just going to stand here and hold onto you with my face inches from yours until this moment burns into your hormone-flooded brain." :roll:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Odds improved they are in the library.

If Tisillah is present the MIB IS involved with where they ended up. So probably Sal's response was allowed for when Lily was sent to get her.

Sali has apparently learned to shadow box!

This implies that wherever they are the normal rules don't apply. I also suspect this might be the first time anyone has actually taken a swing at Tisillah as well. She can be a real pain but I doubt she's gotten too many beings mad enough to take a shot at her. Though being shadow she probably has never worried about someone trying knowing she could not be hurt.

I wonder when Sali acquired the fight or flight reaction? When we first met her she was not aggressive. If surprised she would flinch away not attack. I doubt her adventure with Kathy was enough to change a basic reaction pattern that way. So somewhere she was either trained to fight enough so her surprise reaction is to strike out. The other option for this is her maturing into full siren powers. The change also affected her basic reactions which could be. Sirens are hunters/predators after all so an attack reaction would be a survival trait for them.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Of course it's Tsillah's fault. It's always Tsillah's fault.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Thor wrote:"Shh, relax, babe. I'm not going to bite. And I'm not going to get in your way with Jacob. I'm just going to stand here and hold onto you with my face inches from yours until this moment burns into your hormone-flooded brain." :roll:

Yep. And then, "Dammit, Tsillah!" Golf ball indeed.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

well as a Cambion Atsali would be an awesome fighter. As well as a maybe magic user like her possible cousin Merlin.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

zachariah wrote:Sali has apparently learned to shadow box!
Pun Singularity! Quickly!

And how DID she Do That?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Anime Rick

Post by Anime Rick »

zachariah wrote:I wonder when Sali acquired the fight or flight reaction? When we first met her she was not aggressive. If surprised she would flinch away not attack. I doubt her adventure with Kathy was enough to change a basic reaction pattern that way. So somewhere she was either trained to fight enough so her surprise reaction is to strike out. The other option for this is her maturing into full siren powers. The change also affected her basic reactions which could be. Sirens are hunters/predators after all so an attack reaction would be a survival trait for them.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/that-means/
This isn't the first time Atsali immediately struck something that startled her.

<.<
>.>
O.O What am I doing out here in the open!?
*Flees to the lurker friendly shadows*
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Thor wrote:2) Tsillah still has all the people skills and common sense of a golf ball.
Well, if she didn't have dimples already, she does now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thor wrote:Hmm. Let's take it in reverse order.
3) How does Nadette know Tsillah? Do we have any real answers, or just speculation?
Nothing in-comic, but it's presumed that Atsali told Berdine and Nadette about what happened to her - and maybe pointed out who that stupid gal with the weird face tat was that they saw at the shopping mall.
2) Tsillah still has all the people skills and common sense of a golf ball.
You're giving golf balls a lot of credit. I suspect "Tsillah" means "Daddy's Little Road Paver" in some esoteric, long-dead language. (Think about that for a while.)
1) Nadette, you can say that your are not getting in their way, but isn't opening Atsali's eyes to the idea that there might be other people out there that she might find as (even more) compatible "getting in the way"? It certainly seems to me that it would be a big distraction that would cause Atsali to overthink things when it comes to Jacob, at the very least. "Jacob is being so considerate. Wait, would Nadette be this considerate? More considerate? Why am I thinking of her when I'm with him, darn it?!"

"Shh, relax, babe. I'm not going to bite. And I'm not going to get in your way with Jacob. I'm just going to stand here and hold onto you with my face inches from yours until this moment burns into your hormone-flooded brain." :roll:
Yeah, she could have handled that better, but we'll never know what the outcome was because Tsillah barged in.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

zachariah wrote: Sali has apparently learned to shadow box!
Booooooo.... Pun vault, NOW.
Thor

Post by Thor »

jwhouk wrote:

Yeah, she could have handled that better, but we'll never know what the outcome was because Tsillah barged in.
Did she handle it badly, or did she handle it exactly as she intended?

So much about figuring out Nadette's intentions are complex because we don't know how much foresight she has on the subject and therefore what she is or isn't trying to accomplish.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:Hmm. Let's take it in reverse order.

The latter, I think. I can't recall the two of them even being mentioned within a month of one another in the strip.

To speculate: Nadette's question implies that she knows of Tsillah, but doesn't know her personally. She seems to have guessed Tsillah's identity from the clues presented... light and shadow, the form of a goblin-ish little girl, involvement with Library manners, a sense of fashion which could stop a clock, and more diplomacy than God gave the average half-witted termite.

Nadette might know of Tsillah from Atsali's stories, or Tsillah might have been mentioned in Paranormal Social Studies class. In fact, since the first time we saw Tsillah it was clear that she was in school herself, it's even possible that she's part of Gryphon's student body.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Nice Right Cross. Ali would be proud. 8-)