A Signal 2015-01-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

A Signal 2015-01-06

Post by zachariah »

It's getting deeper.

Hey maybe that's where Sali will be taking Jacob on their first date!!!

"Hey Jacob, do you like caves?"
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Akeche

Re: A Signal 2015-01-06

Post by Akeche »

Mom's probably busy, but to Jacob...

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

zachariah wrote:It's getting deeper.

Hey maybe that's where Sali will be taking Jacob on their first date!!!

"Hey Jacob, do you like caves?"
Akeche wrote:Image
hee hee

We've been watching X-Files over New Years, so this fits in with the mood I'm in.

Since uncontrolled meltdowns tend to destroy anything underneath them, I'd say something survived the incident and was sucked below with the material.

Should be fun.

At least Lily has wised up to getting the lowdown on powerful beings before being tossed helplessly in to confront them...
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I can't make up my mind as to whether the beginning of the conversation indicates a casualness about them that would mean that Grandma Lilly has been spending more time with them lately (on and off, most likely), or surprise on Atsali's part that Lilly would suddenly come seeking her out.

On the other hand, I do like the fact that the "Grandma Lilly" seems to just roll off Atsali's tongue. Whatever else is going on, she seems to have fully accepted Lilly into her family circle. That should only do Lilly some good.
Dave

Post by Dave »

OK, Grandma Lily. We can go investigate the site of a runaway nuclear reaction, from underneath which there is evidence of something possibly immortal, possibly cybernetic, possibly related to a civilization-wide trauma that almost fried my synapses the first time around, and might even somehow be associated with a malign Nu Gui which successfully plotted all of the above and very nearly killed us all.

I'm good with it. Let's go take on a huge, dangerous Unknown (possibly after doing some intensive research at the Library).

But remember, I absolutely have to be back here tomorrow by 1 PM! I have a date.

Hey, teens have their own understanding of priorities. :)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DAMN!!! And here thought we were going to engage in mindless teen dating rituals... oh well, this sounds like it has similar catastrophic potential...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Thor

Post by Thor »

zachariah wrote:"Hey Jacob, do you like caves?"
"I thought you said you weren't that type of girl!"
lake_wrangler wrote:On the other hand, I do like the fact that the "Grandma Lilly" seems to just roll off Atsali's tongue. Whatever else is going on, she seems to have fully accepted Lilly into her family circle.
Well, Lily is her Mom's mom. What else is she going to call her?

Anyone want to wager whether Nadette tries to get herself invited along as Atsali's *cough* moral support? :mrgreen:
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

*Begins playing ominous pipe organ music*
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

What part of nuclear meltdown doesn't Lily understand? You know... massive heat... lots of dangerous radiation...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

They struck Energon!
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Dave wrote:OK, Grandma Lily.
But remember, I absolutely have to be back here tomorrow by 1 PM! I have a date.

. :)

Can't talk now. Datin'
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The best thing for Atsali is to paraphrase Prof. Maximilian Arturo to her BFF, "Given the fraudulent seeming nature of this woman's claims to be receiving a signal from underneath a nuclear meltdown area as well as my near death upon my previous involvement, I suggest a response that harkens back to our earlier childhoods. Run! Run like hell!"
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

DilyV wrote:What part of nuclear meltdown doesn't Lily understand? You know... massive heat... lots of dangerous radiation...
I'm sure she's aware of those things, but that doesn't change the fact that something (presumably the MIB) has detected a signal coming from the site.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Thor wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:On the other hand, I do like the fact that the "Grandma Lilly" seems to just roll off Atsali's tongue. Whatever else is going on, she seems to have fully accepted Lilly into her family circle.
Well, Lily is her Mom's mom. What else is she going to call her?
True, but it may still take some getting used to, and would become easier to do the more they see each other.

There are people who call their step-parents by their first names for quite some time. Atsali was an orphan for a while, but knew her own parents. She has apparently quickly taken to calling Kathering 'Mom', but then again she does live with her. Lilly's visits seem to have been rather infrequent, until possibly recently (She said she's not ready yet, but she wants to be. I told her that we weren't going anywhere, so she doesn't have to be ready...), so Atsali may or may not have had enough exposure to Lilly to be comfortable calling her grandma. Particularly since Lilly is also a vampire. Sure, Atsali herself is a paranormal, so she is used to being around people who are different, but she still does have her limits...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Thor wrote:Well, Lily is her Mom's mom. What else is she going to call her?

Anyone want to wager whether Nadette tries to get herself invited along as Atsali's *cough* moral support? :mrgreen:
i don't think LW meant that she shouldn't call her "Grandma" Lily, but that it was pleasing to hear it being said with no awkward pauses in the middle of that sentence, thus implying that Atsali was NOT UN-comfortable with it.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

Sgt. Howard wrote:DAMN!!! And here thought we were going to engage in mindless teen dating rituals... oh well, this sounds like it has similar catastrophic potential...
I'm pretty sure that, in the Wapsiverse, and for paras, this qualifies as a mindless dating ritual.

And if Grandma and her sidekick are along, it's even chaperoned.

I'd ask the obvious question, but that would be baiting fate.
Thor

Begging For Feathers 2015-01-06

Post by Thor »

oldmanmickey wrote:The best thing for Atsali is to paraphrase Prof. Maximilian Arturo to her BFF, "Given the fraudulent seeming nature of this woman's claims to be receiving a signal from underneath a nuclear meltdown area as well as my near death upon my previous involvement, I suggest a response that harkens back to our earlier childhoods. Run! Run like hell!"
In this case BFF can either be Best Friend Forever or Biggest Fem-slash Fan.

(Bear in Fixed Form? Basically Feeling Frustrated? Biding Future Fondles?)
Last edited by Thor on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thor

Post by Thor »

lake_wrangler wrote: Particularly since Lilly is also a vampire. Sure, Atsali herself is a paranormal, so she is used to being around people who are different, but she still does have her limits...
Of course in those cited comics, both Atsali and Monica were having their emotions messed with by Tina being out of whack, so her squeamishness is not really as pronounced as that. And both sisters seem to have glommed onto the Aunt This and Grandma That quite readily, almost as if they are delighting in finally having a family and reveling in the experience.

"Grandma Lily" does seem a touch strange though, only because there is no other Grandma requiring the addition of the name in order to distinguish. Then again, this is Minnesota, Land of Sweeties, so who knows what it customary there.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Yamara wrote:Since uncontrolled meltdowns tend to destroy anything underneath them, I'd say something survived the incident and was sucked below with the material.
DilyV wrote:What part of nuclear meltdown doesn't Lily understand? You know... massive heat... lots of dangerous radiation...
and there is a key word in both of those trains of thoughts... UNCONTROLLED... BUT what if Brandi's ability to plant the crystals and such to trap the Nu Gui extended to OTHER portions of that base as well?... what about her planning a safe-room to be built? OR maybe it wasn't Brandi, but someone else, Possibly Bia?... and what if that "uncontrolled" meltdown was actually a CONTROLLED meltdown, ie, it was really something like a programmed response to release a massive amount of reactor coolant (or whatever) into the surrounding rock ABOVE the base, and make it LOOK like it blew up, (since the person that planned this KNEW that the Nu Gui was NOT going to be IN the base when it went off, but elsewhere setting up her alibi...) but due to it's construction, the BASE isn't too badly damaged in other areas, if at all... with Brandi or Whomever else setting it up, knowing full well that once the Nu Gui THOUGHT she "destroyed" it along with Katherine and Lily, that she'd not give it a second thought afterwards... and that person just waited an appropriate amount of time for any fallout both radioactive AND political to settle before ACTIVATING said beacon...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac