A Signal 2015-01-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: A Signal 2015-01-06

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:
Thor wrote:Well, Lily is her Mom's mom. What else is she going to call her?
i don't think LW meant that she shouldn't call her "Grandma" Lily, but that it was pleasing to hear it being said with no awkward pauses in the middle of that sentence, thus implying that Atsali was NOT UN-comfortable with it.
Exactly.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

shadowinthelight wrote:Image
isn't that part of the opening sequence from the "All your base are belong to us" video/meme?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

scantrontb wrote:
isn't that part of the opening sequence from the "All your base are belong to us" video/meme?
Yes, the strip reminded me of the video, but I took that screenshot directly from the Sega Mega Drive game Zero Wing myself.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

zachariah wrote:It's getting deeper.

Hey maybe that's where Sali will be taking Jacob on their first date!!!

"Hey Jacob, do you like caves?"
:o

I've heard it called Spelunking, but I prefer 'Deep Sea Diving...'. 8-)

Still, First Date? :?
(maybe they should just hold hands...)

As to G'ma Lily; if it's good enough for a little stink-weed then it's OK w/ big sis too.
Which reminds me- There is a lot of off camera liv'n and love'n and interacting going on, most of which we'll never be privy to.

We're just going to have to stay caught up on events as they race along all pell-mell and everything.

Last thing - Raccoon City!
Image Image
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Lily (fiddling with dials): There - the signal is getting stronger. It's a voice!

Atsali: What's it saying?

Lily: Ah -- listen...

"Paging Cthulhu - Cthulhu to the white courtesy telephone... Paging Cthulhu..."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

Atomic wrote:Lily (fiddling with dials): There - the signal is getting stronger. It's a voice!

Atsali: What's it saying?

Lily: Ah -- listen...

"Paging Cthulhu - Cthulhu to the white courtesy telephone... Paging Cthulhu..."
Cthulhu get signal! Main screen turn on!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atsali vs. Godzilla?
lake_wrangler wrote:I can't make up my mind as to whether the beginning of the conversation indicates a casualness about them that would mean that Grandma Lilly has been spending more time with them lately (on and off, most likely), or surprise on Atsali's part that Lilly would suddenly come seeking her out.
Even if they've been spending a lot of time together, Atsali would still probably be surprised to have a worried-looking Lily suddenly running up to her seeking her out when she's out on the town. She'd probably be surprised to have anybody doing that. It's not generally a good sign when that happens.
Thor wrote:Anyone want to wager whether Nadette tries to get herself invited along as Atsali's *cough* moral support? :mrgreen:
"Standard decontamination procedure includes throwing away your contaminated clothing and then showering thoroughly. I'd better help you scrub your back, just to be safe."
DilyV wrote:What part of nuclear meltdown doesn't Lily understand? You know... massive heat... lots of dangerous radiation...
When she shows up after for her date, Jacob might be impressed with Atsali's radiant glow.
Thor wrote:"Grandma Lily" does seem a touch strange though, only because there is no other Grandma requiring the addition of the name in order to distinguish.
There would be Atsali's siren mother's parents, Atsali's incubus father's parents, and Katherine's adoptive parents, and then Lily and whomever Lily's husband/partner was. Even if most of them aren't alive any longer, wouldn't there still be several other possible Grandmas she could refer to?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Catawampus wrote:
Thor wrote:"Grandma Lily" does seem a touch strange though, only because there is no other Grandma requiring the addition of the name in order to distinguish.
There would be Atsali's siren mother's parents, Atsali's incubus father's parents, and Katherine's adoptive parents, and then Lily and whomever Lily's husband/partner was. Even if most of them aren't alive any longer, wouldn't there still be several other possible Grandmas she could refer to?
… and the other five mothers of Katherine, plus partners. Atsali may yet remember their names. And that's still not accounting for any potential stepmothers. Max three … at any given time.

Oh and Mothers of Katherine? That kinda sounds like something I'd read. 8-)

ETA: Wait, hang on, that would include max six parent's stepmothers at any given time. Apologies! (… or hang on, Lily may also have had partners. (Does Suzy count?) And if we don't consider couples only, but account for multiple partners as well … I've quite underestimated the potential grandmotherly proliferation, haven't I?)
Last edited by Sidhekin on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Ruh roh

wonder if its certain some one that we thought was gone...

that caused her to have the entire race in the first place in her head
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

DilyV wrote:What part of nuclear meltdown doesn't Lily understand? You know... massive heat... lots of dangerous radiation...
it might have not been that type of meltdown its might have been on the scale of one but not all explosions produce rads and dont take everything depending how deep the area are explosions, and second the only thing i know that causes radiations in the waspi universe is what they found on that old sub that turned shelly in to are lovely sphinx due the pluto{ yes i know it does in real life} she held while making that sword, as for the heat it might have actually caused what ever is beneath might been to deep to be protected by the heat and everything that it happemed, i am betting the signal we are getting is we need help or anyone out there if they are getting a signal ...

then my bet is that astial will remember whats is under the site
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
eee

Post by eee »

Lily's still got hollow cheeks and deepset eyes. I had hoped she'd be healthier by now. But she is wearing a scarf, so apparently she's taking SOME care of herself.

And she's talking about MiB matters in front of Nadette. It's either such an emergency she can't wait to draw Atsali aside - in which case you'd think they've have had the Library VOOP her to MiB headquarters - or Nadette is more than we know.

(If Atsali still remembers all the information the Etheitian mind meld poured into her, she's potentially one of the heaviest hitters in the Wapsiverse. If she ever chooses to use that knowledge.)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

eee wrote:And she's talking about MiB matters in front of Nadette. It's either such an emergency she can't wait to draw Atsali aside - in which case you'd think they've have had the Library VOOP her to MiB headquarters - or Nadette is more than we know.
Remember, the shopping day where Atsali met the twins was sponsored openly by MiB.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ah, a famed Bootleggers Reverse by Pablo. The man just loves to reverse gears on us.
:shock: :? ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

Erm, did I miss it, but its *only* a signal??? it may be sending a language or descriptions that atsali will understand??
wratgaf

Post by wratgaf »

Hmmmm... "Raiders of Lost Atlantis" , anyone?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Just to mention that was not a meltdown. It was the uranium below the storage depot reaching critical mass and then destroying the storage facility. Or shattering the crystals and the Nu Gui stated. So it did not melt down, it exploded from the heat and steam generated by the mass. That means it did not set off a china syndrome.

If the signal is coming from below the site it must be a long way below it. The explosion would have severely shattered the surrounding geologic formations. This implies either the signal sended is very, very durable. Or it is a long way below the site. It could be another storage facility, maybe the back up site for the original?

Or maybe there are more Golems down there who where in storage like Bud was. One of them woke up for some reason.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:Erm, did I miss it, but its *only* a signal??? it may be sending a language or descriptions that atsali will understand??
That's always an important question in Minneapolis... what's signal and what's noise?

(Speaking of... it seems that there's a Cats Laughing reunion concert planned for this year's Minicon convention... the Kickstarter is more than fully funded. Makes me want to fly back east for the concert, then do a Wapsi / War For The Oaks walking tour around Minneapolis!)
eee

Post by eee »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
eee wrote:And she's talking about MiB matters in front of Nadette. It's either such an emergency she can't wait to draw Atsali aside - in which case you'd think they've have had the Library VOOP her to MiB headquarters - or Nadette is more than we know.
Remember, the shopping day where Atsali met the twins was sponsored openly by MiB.
The police sponsor various social events in my city. They don't then turn around and talk about their investigations or their undercover operatives to the participants of those events.

The site at Mapimi is dynamite. It's not only nuclear, there's magical technology there and historical data - or at least, there was before the meltdown - that could be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands. Nadette may be a paranormal, but WHY is she being told about things that should be on the "Top Secret, don't share with ANYONE!" list? Especially since it sounds like something ominous is going on there? Is her association with Atsali enough to make her privileged, or are she and her sister ALREADY MiBs?

I guess we'll find out.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

BIBs- Bear in Black
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

My guess is that her status as a seer makes Nadette MiB reserve anyway, because of the difficulty in hiding things from seers. Even if you take the target aside from a seer as soon as the target gets within eyeshot they See what is going on anyway, so why try to hide anything from a seer? It would be like trying to hide a heat signature from a FLIR.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.