Horns Are Showing 2014-12-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Horns Are Showing 2014-12-29

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Here I was expecting someone to make a comment about Paul's decision to turn the strip into a satyr.

I guess it didn't pan out.

(Drops a copy of Disney's Hercules in the Pun Vault.)
Just as long as you don't mistakenly drop it in the pan vault... ;)

Drops a dictionary of homonyms into the pun jar.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:So definitely not Jacob, even if he is a minotaur (which I don't think he is, I might add...)
Since Jacob is now rather obligated to explain his nature to Atsali, we'll know the answer in sixty seconds or so (Wapsiverse time).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:So definitely not Jacob, even if he is a minotaur (which I don't think he is, I might add...)
Since Jacob is now rather obligated to explain his nature to Atsali, we'll know the answer in sixty seconds or so (Wapsiverse time).
So, sometime before the end of 2015, then? ;)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Good work, Paul- I don't think I have EVER seen such an explosion of commentary over one day's cartoon in such a short period of time as this example gives us. Perfect timing- had the lot of us fermenting over the weekend what Jacob might be, who is in on the plot and whatnot... AND WE STILL ARE NOT CERTAIN!!! Is he Minotaur, Faun or Satyr? Hell, for all I know right now he might just be a young Texas Longhorn.

Nicely done-
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Just a couple of thoughts- Is it possible that Jacob is a Gargoyle? A lot of them have horns like that and the sharply angled features might fit. My other thought is a bit more hesitant. I noticed that Randi is a full-figured gal. Is it remotely (without, dear Lord please, offending her) possible that she might be expecting?
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Just a moment! Horns, timid with women, and reluctant about dating?

Oh my gosh! He's a Cuckold!

Oh boy, that'll go great with a Sirenubus.
Last edited by Dr. Otter on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

cmdrpowers wrote:I noticed that Randi is a full-figured gal.
She's actually quite slim. You're just mistaking her udder for a paunch.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Dr. Otter wrote:
Woah! You think so? I thought I was making a wierd/bad enough assumption as it is (visions of being slapped for 'congratulating' a heavy-set woman for her upcoming 'blessing').

So, what's worse? Assuming someone might be pregnant because they are 'full-figured' (with all the insult that implies) or assuming since she's a Pan/goat person that she has an udder?

I might have put my foot in it, but either way it will make for a verrry interesting story. 8-)
Amethyst Shadow

Post by Amethyst Shadow »

oldmanmickey wrote:He does give horny a whole new meaning and look doesn't he. I am thinking demon or satyr.
Satyr most likely.

And if that's the case, a Siren and a Satyr... good luck keeping those two from tearing each other apart if they do start dating. Heck, it will take some serious work just to keep them from jumping each other when they are in each other's presence.

Only way it would be worse is if he were an incubus

Edit: Also, judging by her reaction, I'm not sure Atsali was aware he was a paranormal. Either that or something about his horns being out is seriously affecting her beyond just normal "cute guy I am interested in is talking to/has his attention on me" nervousness.
Last edited by Amethyst Shadow on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

An observation I forgot to mention;

Jacob just asked
the Magic 8-Ball
a Question...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DilyV wrote:It was obvious he was paranormal... now just what is he?
Dazed and confused?
TazManiac wrote:Now, what has Horns?
Jackalopes.

Or things from family Phallaceae. He could be a really fun guy.
jayessell wrote:I thought it was stated that was a coffee shop for mundanes.

Maybe that's the majority of their clientele? (Even at Tina's?)

Are we sure the existence of paranormals is a secret in the Wapsiverse?

Phix goes on about it all the time.
It's a coffee shop that is open to the general public, not a secret coffee shop exclusively open to paranormals who know about it. Thus why Nadette called it "a human coffee shop" (either that, or she meant that they "serve mankind" in the worst possible meaning of the term, though I doubt that). While some of the workers, and perhaps even the owners, are paranormals, it would have many ordinary human patrons. After all, it would be difficult to exclude any humans from a public shop without giving away the fact that there is something odd going on.

We've seen the cast trying to keep things secret at Tina's, too, on occasion, and the MiB had to close down to the general public the entire mall for a day to let the paranormals shop in peace. And both of those places are explicitly run by paranormals or those friendly to paranormals.
Dave wrote:Yeah... it's an inherently unstable situation. As you and others have pointed out, maintaining ignorance/unawareness in a large population, in the Internet age of rapid communication and heavy interest in "fringe" phenomena, must be a huge challenge and a constant fire-fighting job.
The Internet is flooded with photos and videos of paranormal entities, cryptids, aliens, and all that. How many frightened angry mobs armed with torches and pitchforks do you see charging around to get them?

I wouldn't put it past the MiB to have actually encouraged the sharing of online information as a cover for accidentally-exposed paranormals. By constantly exposing us to fake (or what we thing are fake) information, we might miss the few genuine cases amongst all of the chaff. The only people likely to believe that the images are true are those who already believe in such things.
Warrl wrote:Bad idea. Jacob's horns can be written off as a trick of the light and/or his hair misbehaving. Atsali's wings are rather more conspicuous.
"Wow, nice feathered cloak you're wearing! Is it custom-made?"
Dave wrote:Since Jacob is now rather obligated to explain his nature to Atsali, we'll know the answer in sixty seconds or so (Wapsiverse time).
They likely already know just what they each are, from going to school together. Everybody there seems to know what everybody else is. Even with Atsali being uncomfortable telling people that she is a siren, other students seemed to be aware of it. Perhaps the school makes species public knowledge to other students during classmate introductions: "Hello, my name is Bob, and I'm a Chupacabra". It might even be a safety measure, so that students are aware of unexpected dangers from other students ("Best not throw that water-balloon at Stacie; she's a sodium elemental!").
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dr. Otter wrote:
Look again. Paunch, loose apron, or one in the oven? Time will tell...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

meisdadoo wrote:If he is a Minotaur, and I'm not saying he is, then they may have already met in the library as Atsali flew down the hallway with Kathrine. The blew past a minotaur that said "What was that momma?"
Actually, he asked "Mama, why were those girls acting like that?"

minotaurs have a bad reputation where women are concerned...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:In the northern part of metropolitan Seattle there is a small chain of very large supermarkets called Central Market. Their seafood section is about the size of most big-city supermarkets' entire meat section, their olive bar the size of most restaurant salad bars, their salad bar comparable to vegetable departments, they have more varieties of cheese than most specialty cheese shops...
I now officially hate you, like i hate my friends in New Orleans who live within bicycle distance of the French Market...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
About Epiphany.

Next year.

If we have to depend on two shy walking hormone factories with a crush to reveal it.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:I wouldn't put it past the MiB to have actually encouraged the sharing of online information as a cover for accidentally-exposed paranormals. By constantly exposing us to fake (or what we thing are fake) information, we might miss the few genuine cases amongst all of the chaff. The only people likely to believe that the images are true are those who already believe in such things.
In another comic, the agency responsible for (among other things) spreading misinformation about magic, shapeshifting multi-species mutants, and aliens (some of whom are actually natives) is referred to as "DGB".

Which stands for Dad's Government Business, because the father of one of the major characters is a fairly high ranking guy in the agency.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

DilyV wrote:It was obvious he was paranormal... now just what is he?
I'm guessing faun (satyrs don't have horns and are strictly male) or manticore.

Or to make things more awkward/interesting, an incubus.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:He does give horny a whole new meaning and look doesn't he. I am thinking demon or satyr.
Fauns have horns, satyrs don't.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:
kingklash wrote:ASAP, go find you a Native American family, and ask them for a fry bread recipe. One of the best things to go with some stew on a cold Winter's day, a hot piece of fry bread.
Fry bread is one of the few things you can eat that makes doughnuts look like health food in comparison. Like most comfort food, it's horribly bad for you. :cry:
Yeah, but unlike some comfort foods (*EDIT*collared greens), it actually tastes good.

If you want to try some that's a bit healthier, halibut tongue dipped in pancake batter and fried. Yes it sounds weird, but it DOES taste good. It's a thing in Norway. Though, oddly enough, I was introduced to it by some Korean neighbors.
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

zachariah wrote:From Nadettes and Randi's comments their families have know each other for awhile. This suggests a Native American connection. Styar's are not in that traditions. This makes it much more likely Jacob is also a morph type for a different animal. From the horns I'm guessing Bull. Demon is out as they do not go to school or normally leave their person. Satyr is possible but they mainly are Greek, or roman, connection and the horns curl. Incubus is possible but I think unlikely as they don't have horns, or I don't think they do.

So this is a set up. Now we know what the snerk was for.
The Roman version, faun, is the one with horns. The Greek version is actually part horse, not goat/ram like the Roman version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Kachina mask with horns?
I know it's not complete, but it's one of the better compilations of Native American mythological beings that I've found.
http://www.native-languages.org/legends-animals.htm