No Title 2003-06-23 Broken?

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave11

No Title 2003-06-23 Broken?

Post by Dave11 »

Comic appears to be missing. Also the next couple.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
shadowinthelight

Re: No Title 2003-06-23 Broken?

Post by shadowinthelight »

It's working here. Maybe you are having the same problem I have run into a couple of times during archive trawls. Eventually after viewing too many pages in a row the comic display starts to fail. Closing the browser and starting again where I left off fixed it. This may or may not be an Internet Explorer issue.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Working here, also.

If it's an IE problem, i'll never know.

I only keep IE for pages that are so irretrievably broken they only work in IE.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Showing up fine for me too. Not sure what the problem might be. I've had other folks have problems like that, shut their browser, then go back and all's there. Bookworm, do you have any ideas?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It's probably a cache overload. Every time you load the page, it's checking to see if there's cached information locally, then allowing you to pull a copy (if there's no local one). Closing the browser flushes the active cache. The only way to sort of test it would be to go to another page, empty IE's cache manually, then go back to the page in question.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
shadowinthelight

I'm quick to blame IE since Windows XP is limited to outdated IE8. I guess I should start using Firefox as my primary browser since I'm running into more and more sites that refuse to load some piece of content at some point. Trying to use Chrome has just been a big pain in the @$$.

Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:I'm quick to blame IE since Windows XP is limited to outdated IE8. I guess I should start using Firefox as my primary browser since I'm running into more and more sites that refuse to load some piece of content at some point. Trying to use Chrome has just been a big pain in the @$$.
Give Opera a try.

Opera was the first browser to have tabbed browsing and the "Speed Dial" function.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

This is my first post here using Firefox. The primary thing that was stopping me from switching before was not knowing how to customize the interface to how IE was set up but since that last post I learned of the wonders of about:config for tweaking things. It does make an immediate difference such as showing the small tiled border around the main page which is missing in IE8. Hopefully the rest will function properly as well.

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

One problem with IE (and sometime Firefox) is the size of the cache. The IE cache will try to use all the free disk space it can, and eventually it starts to backlog the system cache, and things slow down dramatically as the disk drive I/O gets clogged.

The next time you IE browser starts slowing waaaay down, try this: Go into settings, find the Cache (likely set to automatic), and set it to somewhere around 250-300MB, then clear cache. If your browsing experience suddenly improves, you've found your culprit. Leave the cache size alone at this point. It shouldn't be a problem again unless you start streaming huge YouTube videos or something like that.

And make sure your cache is set to Clear on Exit/Closing. Makes life a lot easier. You probably don't need 30 days of History, either. One less brick to lift!

Happy bug hunting!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Fairportfan wrote: Opera was the first browser to have tabbed browsing and the "Speed Dial" function.
I'm not sure about this. I've seen the claim, but I was using tabbed browsing long before Firefox even existed. Not in Netscape Navigator, but the original Mozilla (When the browser was called Mozilla, not the 'project')
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Atomic wrote:One problem with IE (and sometime Firefox) is the size of the cache. The IE cache will try to use all the free disk space it can, and eventually it starts to backlog the system cache, and things slow down dramatically as the disk drive I/O gets clogged.

The next time you IE browser starts slowing waaaay down, try this: Go into settings, find the Cache (likely set to automatic), and set it to somewhere around 250-300MB, then clear cache. If your browsing experience suddenly improves, you've found your culprit. Leave the cache size alone at this point. It shouldn't be a problem again unless you start streaming huge YouTube videos or something like that.

And make sure your cache is set to Clear on Exit/Closing. Makes life a lot easier. You probably don't need 30 days of History, either. One less brick to lift!

Happy bug hunting!
Sadly can't do that on this machine. Should work from home tho. Close and reload worked.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

shadowinthelight wrote:I'm quick to blame IE since Windows XP is limited to outdated IE8. I guess I should start using Firefox as my primary browser since I'm running into more and more sites that refuse to load some piece of content at some point. Trying to use Chrome has just been a big pain in the @$$.
May I humbly suggest

Code: Select all

http://www.opera.com/
Opera? I like it and even have it on my phone. Mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts galore. Tried Firefox and liked it. Tried Chrome, not so much. Tried Opera, just right. ;)
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt