There He Is 2014-12-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: There He Is 2014-12-22

Post by lake_wrangler »

Akeche wrote:
Thor wrote:All I know is that considering how much work Mr. Taylor went into building the Atsali-Nadette ship ("Salidette"?)and making it seem right and logical, if he intends to have the readers believe in an Atsali-Jacob ship, he's got his work cut out for him . . . especially with that very punchable hipster face.
I've seen nothing to suggest Atsali and Nadette could actually work, all I've seen is the poor Ursamorth having her crush build up further.
I quite agree. Atsali is so clueless about Nadette, which some have suggested may very well be that the possibility has never even entered her mind, so heterosexually-minded she may be.
Akeche wrote:What is your problem with him? I got one look and thought "Yeah, he'll make a good addition!" Cause seriously if you think crazy hair and glasses makes you a hipster... Why don't you dislike Atsali's general look then?

I for one like him, can we keep him Paul. Please? :D
Well, if some people can claim to have found love at first sight, why not "dislike at first sight"? Doesn't mean they're right, of course. I see nothing wrong with the guy, just based on appearance. And the dialogue indicates that there will be much fodder for interaction and mis-communication. In other words, plenty for Paul to write about for quite some time.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Owen Albrecht. He and Lakshimi Prasad - who is NOT related to Georgette - eloped.

And Alan is Jin's boyfriend - and Kevin's best friend.

Yes, there is a dearth of males in this comic.

No, I don't see Jacob as a hateable character at the moment.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

eee wrote:
Thor wrote:And this just in, Jacob's sister is *not* an alien. N0 clue on what type of cryptid they are though. I'm calling werewolves.
Maybe (GASP!) normal humans?
If that was the case, Jacob would not be going to a school for paranormals...
eee wrote:
Thor wrote:And either Nadette knows that this is going to go down bad, and she needs to be there to be a shoulder for Atsali, or it's going to go "good" and she's just a masochist wanting to watch her crush score on someone else.
Or cares for 'Sali enough to want what's best for her...
That!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, we finally see the elusive Jacob... HE EXISTS! HE TRULY EXISTS!!!
Welp, I can go home now, that's what I came here to post.
If you're not home, at this time of night, just where in the world are you??? :shock:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Third shift is a thing that exists.
You mean, you read webcomics while at work??? :shock:
:P

Trust me, I know all about weird work schedules: I once had a job as tech support for the Air Canada computers at Pearson's International Airport (in Toronto). The work shifts were as follow (from what I can remember): 6am to 2pm, 2pm to 10 pm, and 10 pm to 6 am. Furthermore, the week was a 6 day workweek, with 3-day weekends. To make matters worse, your shift hours rotated every time: 6 days of 6am-2pm, 3 days off, 6 days of 2pm to 10pm, 3 days off, 6 days of 10pm to 6 am, 3 days off. Wash, rinse, repeat... So you never had the same weekends as your family, and your body could never get used to the work hours in the long run, because it always changed. Those were the worst hours I ever had to work in my life! Even working nights driving a delivery truck, or working until 2am driving a city bus, was not as hard, because you eventually settled into the routine...
Thor

Post by Thor »

Thor wrote: I predict one of these three things will happen: (A) He's going to wind up trying to pick up Nadette and ignore Atsali.
Sgt. Howard wrote:What if Jacob takes a shine to Nadette (who saw this coming), crushing poor Atsali so that Nadette is left there to 'pick up the pieces'?
... just thought I'd ask...
Sigh.
eee wrote:
Thor wrote:And this just in, Jacob's sister is *not* an alien. N0 clue on what type of cryptid they are though. I'm calling werewolves.
Maybe (GASP!) normal humans.
Buzz. Atsali spotted Young Mister Swooshbangs McJawline at high school. Since this isn't Rosario + Vampire, there's no reason to assume that he's secretly a normal human at a high school for monsters.
eee wrote:
Thor wrote:And either Nadette knows that this is going to go down bad, and she needs to be there to be a shoulder for Atsali, or it's going to go "good" and she's just a masochist wanting to watch her crush score on someone else.
Or cares for 'Sali enough to want what's best for her...
As I said before, there's being a good caring friend, and then there's railroading Atsali into a scenario of your own devising. In setting this up, does she have Atsali's best interests in mind, or her own? Or possibly they are one and the same? Hopefully we will find out this week (with limited holiday interruption).
eee wrote:
Thor wrote: I'll admit I'm a little biased. The last thing this strip needs, IMHO, is another male character.
Uh... what?

Perhaps you mean another male character who shows up briefly, then spends most of the rest of the time off stage...
Nope. I bolded the important parts for emphasis.

Right now the occasional male characters are the God of Alcohol, Monica's dog, Alan, Justin, Shelley's dad, and the recently booted to the curb Kevin Goatbeardface. If we got rid of Kevin, the rest would be fine in the limited roles they already play. Unless this new character plays out a lot differently than I am fearing, I don't think the addition of Broody McCoffeeshop is going to anything useful, exciting, or satisfying. I look forward to being proved wrong.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Remember, Nadette: Mobile phones make a great compliment to precog for the modern Cyrano.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

MerchManDan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, we finally see the elusive Jacob... HE EXISTS! HE TRULY EXISTS!!!
Welp, I can go home now, that's what I came here to post.
I was not aware this was in doubt.
lake_wrangler wrote:Well I, for one, never doubted. But there has been talk... The words "red herring" have come up more than once...
I think I answered that one too quickly... Of course, using the words "red herring" does not mean people didn't think he existed... Merely that he may have not been as plot-relevant as may have been implied.

My own original comment was merely being pleased at finally getting a first look at him, after his name had been bandied around for a while, now...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My thought? After all this time?

"#### it, I'm gonna have to update the Omnibus again..."
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

To quote Candle Cove:

You

Must

GO

INSIDE!
sheik

Post by sheik »

I'm dying to find out how Paul is going to handle a confrontation between a male who is convinced that the female of the species (?) is composed entirely of "flighty, hormone-ridden, Ding-Dongs" and a female who is fervently convinced (because of recent events) that she is one.
The potential for mutual education and the general high school social earthquake that may result is just too delicious.
Leak

Post by Leak »

eee wrote:The square eyebrows ARE a bit disconcerting...
Hey, they work for Sequential Art's Art, so...
eee

Post by eee »

lake_wrangler wrote:
eee wrote:
Maybe (GASP!) normal humans?
If that was the case, Jacob would not be going to a school for paranormals...
Probably true. Unless he's the son of a MiB agent. If you think about it, MiB kids would pose a problem; they know too much to risk sending them to normal school, and vengeful paranormals might try to strike back at agents through their kids. Possible solution: Put them in a paranormal school, where they'd be surrounded by protective supernatural beings and teachers, treated well because most paranormals seem to like the MiB (or at least respect it), and they could also provide a benchmark for the parakids to model themselves on, to judge what's normal human behavior and limits, and what's not.

Or maybe he and Sis ARE werewolves. Or sparkly vampires.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:Or maybe he and Sis ARE werewolves. Or sparkly vampires.
Another possibility: he and Sis are members of a paranormal genus that we've already seen... one where Atsali's interest in him would create some further opportunity for hilarity to ensue.

She's a mermaid... perhaps an atypical one who isn't into social climbing. Better parenting, maybe.

He's a merman (sometimes referred to as a triton, after the demigod of that name). Definitely one of the really cool, independent ones. His friends refer to him as the "Rad Herring."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Thor wrote:
Thor wrote: I predict one of these three things will happen: (A) He's going to wind up trying to pick up Nadette and ignore Atsali.
Sgt. Howard wrote:What if Jacob takes a shine to Nadette (who saw this coming), crushing poor Atsali so that Nadette is left there to 'pick up the pieces'?
... just thought I'd ask...
Sigh.

My apologies there Thor- I honestly didn't read yer post (which JUST precedes mine)... look at it this way- You've explained the concept in Harvard-ese, wilst I translated it into lower Appalachian. We can consider it a bi-lingual effort... sorta...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Leak wrote:
eee wrote:The square eyebrows ARE a bit disconcerting...
Hey, they work for Sequential Art's Art, so...
I thought of that.

I forgot what site listing webcomics that referred to as Art's eyebrows looking "like two Weetabix"...

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
eee wrote:He's a merman (sometimes referred to as a triton, after the demigod of that name). Definitely one of the really cool, independent ones. His friends refer to him as the "Rad Herring."
hsss
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wait a second. He's sedentary.

What's a male siren called?
Thor

Post by Thor »

jwhouk wrote:Wait a second. He's sedentary.

What's a male siren called?
A klaxon?

Edit: More seriously, sirens in the Greek mythos source material were only female.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:He's a merman (sometimes referred to as a triton, after the demigod of that name). Definitely one of the really cool, independent ones. His friends refer to him as the "Rad Herring."
I believe I hear the pun jar calling your name...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Before we disappear into the cold Minnesota night, one last observation:

Anyone else notice that Atsali isn't the only one wearing something borrowed from another, older member of the cast? (Nadette in the Nehru Jacket, similar to Shelly's?)