Shazowie 2014-12-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Shazowie 2014-12-11

Post by MerchManDan »

My2Cents wrote:Monica ought to be able to use this trick too. Suicide as a means to cure the common flu.
jeffepp wrote:It's not suicide, in this case. It's more like a reboot, verses sleep mode, if we are keeping the computer metaphor. M, on the other hand, could do that. But, killing her self would be a bit hard, at this point.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Rebooting gets rid of any bugs in the system--Influenzavirus A, spiders, the lot.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Someone's still "inside" Tina, the way Nudge was inside her.

And whoever that individual "is" has the power to wield astral fire.

Problem is, Tina has a different OS than Monica's.
There is nothing to indicate this is astral fire and assuming it is would be a mistake. What was rebooted was the demonic healing powers. By turning herself off Tina left the state she was in and rebooted to a different state. The healing was immediate and that is what Tina crowed about. I doubt demons would be comfortable around astral fire at all. So thye flash was the sudden healing and the return of the normal demon inhabited state. The big question is did Tina loose the power to dream?

Another question is did Bia give the ability to all of them, some of them, the collective as a unit, or just the black angel?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
wwf

Post by wwf »

Sidhekin wrote:Hmm ... a furnace lighting up? Astral fire? Who wields astral fire? Titans! And anyone with Phoenix blood!

Note that Bud and Shelly smelled astral fire after M recovered from "that last flash freezing", before the more complete, scar-removing take-out-heart.

Sounds like Tina has a similar thing going on? Titan heritage sufficient, or did Bia mess with (a) Pheonix?
Well Tina is Bia's great grand daughter.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

couple of things.

1. Monica cannot die. When they were fixing the time calender machine thingy the statement made to the Golem Girls was "You couldn't kill her if you wanted to". If those three cannot kill you, what could? Stabbing her in the head with the key did not kill her, it just helped fix the machine.

2. Even though Monica cannot die, her body ages, gets fat, scratched, dented banged up broken and in the case of a pissed off Sphinx accident, shredded. This does not kill her, it causes her to be "reborn/reincarnated" to the same body she had when she was stabbed in the head with the key to the machine. Her clothes on the other hand, do not survive the astral fire phoenix like rebirth. So if she had the flu, or few age spots, or some other defect, she could just jump off a bridge and Ta-Daa, reset to the original point. (more like a complete hardware replacement with an install of the backup files.

3. Tina (or that group of entities now known as Tina) can die. As Tina said to Phix, if you are here to kill us, just get it over with.
4. The physical body Tina inhabits used to be a complete human being. What happened to the "person" inside when the body was killed is still kind of unclear. However it is clear that while the body can be injured, sick, broken, aged, etc. The body reboots when the Demons cycle through their shut down and restart.
5. Somehow, the whole seeing light, sleeping and dreaming thing gummed up the works. Very much like when you run out of RAM, everything slows to a crawl or freezes.
6. New operating instructions for Tina 2.5: After dreaming/sleeping the system must shut down and restart for the system to function.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Yay!!!! Tina's back!!!!

As far as Monica getting sick, I just can't see her deliberately popping into the Library... "Hey Phix... I'm sick, let's play 'Face Off'!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
as363

Post by as363 »

I won't mention any names - but there are a few of you (including regulars) who have made No Mention of appeasing the (PUN VAULT) . Punishments have been known to drag out for some time.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Isn't sure he needs to deposit in the pun valt but drops a case of sleepeze in to help with sweet dreams for all and to put this discussion to rest. Nytol for the flu and dream of little pixies with huge racks.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dr. Otter wrote:Rebooting gets rid of any bugs in the system--Influenzavirus A, spiders, the lot.
I think so too. Especially with her eye flares in the fourth panel. Does it burn away all bugs?
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

meisdadoo wrote:3. Tina (or that group of entities now known as Tina) can die. As Tina said to Phix, if you are here to kill us, just get it over with.
Phix would probably only kill the demons, similar to when she popped Nudge out of Tina, leaving an empty dead body behind.

Tina is more undead than immortal. She doesn't age and has a (limited) ability to recover by rebooting. I suspect she cannot regenerate missing parts. A broken arm isn't a problem because it is still there.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Sideromelane wrote:A boot-time scan-and-fix (C:/TinaOS/system32 chktina /u /r) would explain why she was able to just walk away in a body that might have been little more than a hollowed out shell packed with sawdust, shattered bones and formaldehyde.
Tina has had a cast on several times for broken arms (possibly/probably as a from of self punishment). The doctors would have taken X-rays, BP, pulse, etc. each time, so I think we can rule out that extreme case.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:
Dr. Otter wrote:Rebooting gets rid of any bugs in the system--Influenzavirus A, spiders, the lot.
I think so too. Especially with her eye flares in the fourth panel. Does it burn away all bugs?
Rebooting probably runs the diagnostics... and since diagnostics never find anything wrong, naturally her flu symptoms are gone afterwards.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:
Sideromelane wrote:A boot-time scan-and-fix (C:/TinaOS/system32 chktina /u /r) would explain why she was able to just walk away in a body that might have been little more than a hollowed out shell packed with sawdust, shattered bones and formaldehyde.
Tina has had a cast on several times for broken arms (possibly/probably as a from of self punishment). The doctors would have taken X-rays, BP, pulse, etc. each time, so I think we can rule out that extreme case.
Shelly said the broken bones healed overnight, didn't she?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

/me does not make a windows/computer/... joke, has been done to death today.

(but i really really wanted to)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I don't think its like Monica's situation exactly. I'm thinking there's a 'fix whats broke' thing happening but not necessarily 'revert to previous state' effort.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

TazManiac wrote:I don't think its like Monica's situation exactly. I'm thinking there's a 'fix whats broke' thing happening but not necessarily 'revert to previous state' effort.
Yeah, I was trying to say that. There was the smell of astral fire when Monica recovered from the flash freeze death, but the 'revert to previous state' didn't happen until Bud took out her heart.

Erring on the side of verbosity this time: There's a "lesser recovery", which M has exhibited at least once, which doesn't revert to previous state, but which does involve astral fire. I'm speculating that Tina has some version of this "lesser recovery". As far as we know, Tina has no Phoenix blood, nor is she a Titan. But perhaps being descended from a Titan gives her a more limited ability to wield astral fire?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin