Something Wrong 2014-12-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Something Wrong 2014-12-08

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote: then what is she now hmm interesting i get the feeling that a simple flu is not whats tina has maybe demon flu?
Perhaps it's all in her mind, and she's suffering from demontia?
{dignified but disapproving silence}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Epileptic tree theory: until recently, all microbes saw Tina as already infested - by demons - and left her alone, by deference to them. Now, she has begun to "evolve" into more, the microbes no longer recognize the demons as an infestation, so they go ahead and strike...
I don't have any formal medical training whatsoever, but I do have a rediculous repository of random knowledge. And that theory you just made sounds a lot like the "sick people are invisible to zombies" concept in World War Z or whatever that movie with Prad Pitt fighting zombies and chugging Pepsi :roll: was called.
<_<
>_>
I don't think microbes really care if something is already infected with something else. It's not hard to have strep throat and diarrhea, is it? Sure, kinda rare, but I don't think being sick with one thing makes you safe from everything else.
Case in point: HIV/AIDS. People infected with HIV never really die from it. They die from another disease, any other disease, because their immune system is kaput.
Kinda like how falling doesn't kill you, it's the sudden stop at the end.
In a normal situation, you'd be absolutely right. But you'll notice, in my epileptic tree theory, the germs stayed away out of deference to the demons...

So normally, it would be like:

[Strep `Throat]Hey, Diarrhea, wanna go infest this poor sucker?
[Diarrhea]Sure, why not? Let's have fun, for old times sake...

In Tina's case:

[Strep `Throat]Hey, Diarrhea, wanna go infest this po - WOAH! ARE THOSE DEMONS???
[Diarrhea]YIKES! Maybe we should mosey on over... Hey, would you look at the size of the ganglions on her neighbor's nervous system! Let's go there, instead!
[Strep `Throat]Sure! You take the bottom, I'll take the top...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote: then what is she now hmm interesting i get the feeling that a simple flu is not whats tina has maybe demon flu?
Hear, hear! I second the representative from the great state of Georgia...
*harrumphing noises*
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:A thought...
What was the event that caused Monica's "head light" to turn on?
All of her demons leaving her at once.
And that left her "hollow and without a voice." But she survived. Why? Because she had already died (once before).
Tina didn't have that same luxury.
When "all the demons" leave at once with a "mortal" woman - and, all we know (for now) is that Tina is a mortal - she ends up in that "state of limbo" where there's nothing to catch the empty soul but Charon's ferry across the Styx.
But it wasn't Tina's demons that "caught" her. It was Shelly's.
Who was having a near-death experience herself (albeit many miles away).
Lack of Demons = near death experience.
...or perhaps the correlation you've made is not causation. It might be the other way around. As I recall, demons are parasites. Humans developed, then the demons came to "infect" (for lack of a better word) them. Then the Sphinxes came to try to keep them under control.
Maybe all the demons leaving the host is a symptom of a near-death experience. They're abandoning what they think is a sinking ship. But with Tina, maybe that ship sank too fast for the demons to escape.
...but since Tina is some sort of descendant of Bia, was she mortal enough to be killed by a bus or whatever? Sure, she ages, and she can break her arm, but that arm healed in a day. I call bullcrap, bones don't heal that fast. I haven't broken a bone, but I have had hairline fractures, and those take more than a day, even if you are a unusually fast (but still within the bounds of normality) healer. Tina's arm was fully cracked in half.

Ugh. The more I think, the deeper into confusion corner I get. It's like trying to swim in oobleck.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:. . .
Hear, hear! I second the representative from the great state of Georgia...
*harrumphing noises*
Hey! I didn't get a harrumph out of that guy!
illiad

Post by illiad »

I think Tina was just a *normal* girl, minding her own, until she got caught in the middle... That person is no more...
The demons got the body up off the slab, and started driving it like a clown car... :P
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Nope.

I haz wild mass guessing theory.

Ready?

Tina 1.0... was actually Jaguar Girl 0.9beta.

Think of it: 56 times before, the Scoobies kept getting it wrong, because the wrong person kept getting killed, over and over and over.

And then, finally, Jin (or Brandi or someone) finally figured out that Monica had to be able to make it to the Calendar Machine - and live through it.

The only way to do that was to give her the powers of the Jaguar Girl. And the only one who had those powers - was the existing Jaguar Girl, Tina.

The blade that she had hidden in the clock key was a remnant of the "rod" that gave Tina the power to be "Jaguar Girl". It also gave her body the power to remember every single previous time the Calendar Machine went blooey. Except, unlike Jin, she didn't go cray-cray - or maybe she did; that may be the reason why she sought death.

Jin does remember her from previous cycles, but doesn't remember anything about her "knowing" anything about the Calendar. It's possible that Tina never participated in any of the previous 56 resets - she just suddenly realized, "uh oh, here we go again."

What we're seeing now is her body's gradual "degrading" to a normal human being. The one problem that no one - except, perhaps, Bia and/or the Library knew about - was that Tina's body would still revert to the state it was in when she died - if the "rats left the ship" briefly. That's why Jin told Monica - who had control of the Chimera the 56 previous times, but was always dying before they could "fix" the Calendar Machine - that she could never die in distress, or allow "the rats to take control of the ship". Tina not only died in distress, but the rats took over the ship - and they have just learned they can essentially live forever!

And I don't think it's just because of her Titan heritage (thanks, MMMUTHER!) that she can wield astral fire. I honestly think that Tina was Bia's "first attempt." Hence, Jaguar Girl 0.9 beta.

For a beta version, she's still able to run the programming, and "reset" and all that - she just doesn't have a "kernel" program.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I haz wild mass guessing theory.

Tina 1.0... was actually Jaguar Girl 0.9beta.
Interesting!

If true, this might suggest that Bia had been trying to create one descendent who could play multiple roles... both fulfilling the prophecy about setting things right, and shutting down the Calendar Machine. Tina 1.0, as a possible/potential Jaguar Girl, and as Bia's great-granddaughter, might have been such an attempt. As you point out, it didn't actually work out that way during the first 50-odd time cycles.

(This all doesn't quite jibe with Guidance's statement that the previos Jaguar Girl was from a previous universe, though, unless she's referring to a previous Calendar Machine loop)

Bia might have eventually concluded that she was trying to load down one person with too many fates, or that the fulfillment of the prophesy was necessarily separate from the Calendar Machine issue, and decided to try again with two separate women for the two jobs.

She might also have decided that a great-grandchild of hers was too distant a relative to carry the necessary power... that she'd have to bear a girlchild herself (Shelly) and thus Titan up the design parameters.

(places a set of architect's plans for a really nifty alternate universe into the Pun Jar)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Long way for a pun, there.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Oh...I see what you did there...
:|
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Long way for a pun, there.
Yeah, well, I don't mind spending the effort for you guys... you're worth it :D
Jabberwonky wrote:Oh...I see what you did there...
:|
I wonder whether that song was popular during all 57 of the Calendar Machine loops? :?
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

jwhouk wrote:Long way for a pun, there.
According to Robinson's law, the shortest distance between two puns is a straight line. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Do i have to bring out the Swedish sailor?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

just dont bring out the Swedish Chief
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You mean 'Chef'...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:You mean 'Chef'...
Did someone say "Swedish Chef"?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

TazManiac wrote:You mean 'Chef'...
Did someone say "Swedish Chef"?
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Bork, bork, bork!"
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

If you read Anders <3s Maria you would know that is the sound effect of Swedish buttsecks, sorry I can't find the link.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Don't be.