Something Wrong 2014-12-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Reani

Re: Something Wrong 2014-12-08

Post by Reani »

Well, Tina does actually have some Titan blood, considering Bia is her great grandmother.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/about-that/

Which might explain how her body managed to survive for so long while being "dead" and definitely why Shelly is reacting the way she is.
Leak

Post by Leak »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Becky Does Not Know.
Yet.

A perfect opportunity for Shelly to screw up... :)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

zachariah wrote:Let's keep in mind the Wapsiverse rules are slightly different than our rules. Demon, and para, powers are not that simple to understand. Tina's body living through the accident enough so the demons could get it up and moving again is obviously possible since it happened. Whether her body truy died, or only partially died, is a moot point. It was able to be revived enough to get up and moving. It is alive as it functions as a living body as hair grows, food and drink are processed, waste disposal must occur as well. Finally we know Shelly can catch the flu, as she has. If Shelly can why can't Tina??
Although, to be fair, Shelly caught her cold before her stay in the time forest, so before she refined and displayed her sphinx side... (and partially shed her human side?)

Also, I can't help but wonder... Were ALL of Tina's demons chasing Monica, or only some? If all of them, they would have had to be quick about it, and make sure it happened while Tina was on a straight stretch of road, because leaving her completely would have left a brick at the wheel...

GlytchMeister wrote:That was originally supposed to be the main thing I was going to discuss in my first post. It... Kinda got away from me.
Anyway... Since her body (may have) never completely died, it's completely understandable for it to be a viable host for diseases. At it's... Um... "Deadest"... It's really just a brain-dead body with a bunch of demons screwing around with the muscles and such to make it move and operate. At its liveliest, it's just a body whose brain/computer had been formatted and had the Human Soul (Microsoft Tina 1.0) replaced with demons (Linux Tina 1.5). And then Bia went in and modded the crap out of Tina1.5 to create Tina2.0, which is apparently still in Beta.
Sorry, I find it easier to discuss things like souls, minds, and thoughts in terms of computers. The brain is the hardware, the soul is the OS, thoughts are programs.
Wow, I get sidetracked easily. Back to the matter at hand: any point between "brain dead puppet" and "new operating system installed" still has a functioning biological organism, and is thus a perfectly good target for infection.
jwhouk wrote:Tina 2.1, from what Connie said. After Nudge was "evicted forcibly" by Phix, Tina became a conglomerate of demons.
You beat me to it! She was referred to as Tina 1.0 and 2.0 for a long time, in the forums, then 2.1 after the Nudge-ectomy... It is only some time later that that nomenclature became Canon...
jwhouk wrote:I also don't think it''s odd Tina can get sick. The flu can sometimes be worse than supernatural stuff.
Technically, it makes sense, since she is able to process bodily functions (and feel pain). Yet she gives off the vibe that this is unusual, that she does not normally get sick. Get hurt through her own fault, yes, but not just "get" sick.

(Epileptic tree theory: until recently, all microbes saw Tina as already infested - by demons - and left her alone, by deference to them. Now, she has begun to "evolve" into more, the microbes no longer recognize the demons as an infestation, so they go ahead and strike...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Leak wrote:
Yet.

She no longer bungles things up as much, since her stay in the time forest... There is still hope...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

lake_wrangler wrote:
zachariah wrote:Finally we know Shelly can catch the flu, as she has. If Shelly can why can't Tina??
Although, to be fair, Shelly caught her cold before her stay in the time forest, so before she refined and displayed her sphinx side... (and partially shed her human side?)
I'm pretty sure there's nothing partial about it. At least, Bia seemed triumphant enough: The Forest has removed your human side.

I doubt she was talking out of her ass, but I guess she could still be bluffing.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sidhekin wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
zachariah wrote:Finally we know Shelly can catch the flu, as she has. If Shelly can why can't Tina??
I'm pretty sure there's nothing partial about it. At least, Bia seemed triumphant enough: The Forest has removed your human side.

I doubt she was talking out of her ass, but I guess she could still be bluffing.
Bluffing, misdirecting, or be in error... I, for one, won't take her word for it...

If Tina's words are to be taken with a grain of salt, even though she has been said to be trustworthy and not lie, imagine how much salt one would need for Bia's words...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:If Tina's words are to be taken with a grain of salt, even though she has been said to be trustworthy and not lie, imagine how much salt one would need for Bia's words...
A very great amount indeed.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Let's all agree that at the time, Tina was only "Mostly Dead". It just took a different kind of miracle to get the whole mess moving again.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:.After a quick google session, it seems like Tina's brain stem didn't completely die, and perhaps other bits of her brain survived too. I'm guessing they just sort of... Stalled out for a bit, which caused the mortician to think she was completely dead. I sorta thought the demons are puppeteering the body functions that are consciously controlled while the brain stem keeps doing its autopilot job of making the heart beat, etc.
I haven't been able to decide if the demons are doing this puppeteering by behaving as a new OS installed into the computer that is the brain, or if they are skipping the brain and zapping the peripheral nervous system to control the body, or if they are controlling all the bits of the body directly, skipping all that nerve nonsense completely.
The "New OS" theory sounds good because I like the idea of the Demons replacing the human Soul like Ubuntu can replace Windows, but that means Tina couldn't have been quasi-dead for mor than a few short moments. Which doesn't fit with the timeline of her being dead long enough to make it to the morgue and being motivated by Nudge.
Life imitates art!

Apparently the lady in question was "clinically dead" enough to fool a doctor, and remained so for hours, and yet did not suffer brain death. Not only her brain stem, but her whole cortex (and personality) seem to have survived the shutdown.

I tend to agree with your analysis that Tina's brainstem and autonomic nervous system are still alive. Otherwise the body would collapse and truly die, whenever the demons temporarily vacated it.

Dunno about the higher brain areas (e.g cortex); I'm not sure we've been given enough information to know.

It may be significant that Tina does not see images in light, as humans do... the demons don't seem to have access to images through Tina's optic nerves, if these still exist at all. Her visual centers may have whithered for lack of use, if they survived the accident and resurrection at all.
Not to beat the poor horse into the ground, but that whole waking from the dead thing was one of the factors that made embalming so popular. As in, there is no way to survive it if you are not already completely dead. Replacing the blood with deadly poison pretty much insures you won't wake up in the box as they throw the dirt in your face. Autopsies tend to have the same effect as well. Maybe that's why the Egyptians did both? I.D.K.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:Also, I can't help but wonder... Were ALL of Tina's demons chasing Monica, or only some? If all of them, they would have had to be quick about it, and make sure it happened while Tina was on a straight stretch of road, because leaving her completely would have left a brick at the wheel...
don't forget that that was Doubt messing with Monica's head, so it doesn't *really* mean that with NO Demons that you'd cease to be functional like M was shown... no, i think it would have left... TINA... she probably would have been in one of those day-dreaming type of moments where you have nothing going thru your mind at all. no worries, no fears, no nothing, just YOU... and then, NORMALLY, when the Demons come BACK... THAT'S when you jolt yourself (awaking from the daydream, that is) and start thinking about all those fears and worries, etc. again... only in this case, the Demons never got the chance to get back inside before she "died"... because that was the time that the Demons were undergoing their Trial for intentionally hurting someone... it would also make sense that that was when Nudge moved in during the same time that the body was being moved from the street to the morgue, and when the Punishment phase started (after Nudge moved in), none of the Demons could REMEMBER if she was supposed to BE there or not, so they all assumed that she WAS supposed to be there and that they just couldn't remember her... THAT'S why they "went along with it" when Nudge got up off the slab and left... thus starting off this whole chain of events.

the nifty thing is that unfinished prophesy that Tina was talking about when she got Monica and Jet together... that's a relatively NEW prophesy!... it can't be more than 15? years old... basically it had to been told to her AFTER the car accident, otherwise it would have been memory-wiped during the trial/punishment, and therefore she wouldn't have known about it anymore.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Leak wrote:
Yet.

She no longer bungles things up as much, since her stay in the time forest... There is still hope...
Oh, c'mon.

This is Shelly.

"Oh, hi, Monica. Boy, it's really cool the way Cricket shrank Dietzel and jumped off the two hundredth floor with him..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

lake_wrangler wrote:
zachariah wrote:Let's keep in mind the Wapsiverse rules are slightly different than our rules. Demon, and para, powers are not that simple to understand. Tina's body living through the accident enough so the demons could get it up and moving again is obviously possible since it happened. Whether her body truy died, or only partially died, is a moot point. It was able to be revived enough to get up and moving. It is alive as it functions as a living body as hair grows, food and drink are processed, waste disposal must occur as well. Finally we know Shelly can catch the flu, as she has. If Shelly can why can't Tina??

Also, I can't help but wonder... Were ALL of Tina's demons chasing Monica, or only some? If all of them, they would have had to be quick about it, and make sure it happened while Tina was on a straight stretch of road, because leaving her completely would have left a brick at the wheel...
Tina was still alive at that point. Her demons caused her to hit the rear of the bus so that Monica was not killed, even though Jin got Monica out of the way, the hit on the bus made sure it would not hit them. So the demons were not running Tina's body at that time. During this time Monica's soul was prevented from escaping into death and stayed with her body. This turned Monica in the empowered Glyph reader. Tina's soul did escape into death leaving her body dead for the demons to take over.

Point: While Bia is related to the body, she is not related to the demons inside. This small amount of titan blood may be the reason the body was able to be usable after being dead enough to make it to the morgue.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:If Tina's words are to be taken with a grain of salt, even though she has been said to be trustworthy and not lie, imagine how much salt one would need for Bia's words...
Several Texas-sized grains, I'd say...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Leak wrote:
Yet.

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Oh, c'mon.

This is Shelly.

"Oh, hi, Monica. Boy, it's really cool the way Cricket shrank Dietzel and jumped off the two hundredth floor with him..."
Well, I did say "not as much", not "no longer"... ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:
Several Texas-sized grains, I'd say...
Hey, I remember those... We used to have a few at the barn, when I was the Horse Director at a summer camp in Ontario...

And we also had a few in the water, at the beach, to keep the leeches away... :P
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:Epileptic tree theory: until recently, all microbes saw Tina as already infested - by demons - and left her alone, by deference to them. Now, she has begun to "evolve" into more, the microbes no longer recognize the demons as an infestation, so they go ahead and strike...
I don't have any formal medical training whatsoever, but I do have a rediculous repository of random knowledge. And that theory you just made sounds a lot like the "sick people are invisible to zombies" concept in World War Z or whatever that movie with Prad Pitt fighting zombies and chugging Pepsi :roll: was called.
<_<
>_>
I don't think microbes really care if something is already infected with something else. It's not hard to have strep throat and diarrhea, is it? Sure, kinda rare, but I don't think being sick with one thing makes you safe from everything else.
Case in point: HIV/AIDS. People infected with HIV never really die from it. They die from another disease, any other disease, because their immune system is kaput.
Kinda like how falling doesn't kill you, it's the sudden stop at the end.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

No sir, its not the sudden stop that kills you, its that you dont all stop at the same time. This is also referred to as going splat.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A thought...

What was the event that caused Monica's "head light" to turn on?

All of her demons leaving her at once.

And that left her "hollow and without a voice." But she survived. Why? Because she had already died (once before).

Tina didn't have that same luxury.

When "all the demons" leave at once with a "mortal" woman - and, all we know (for now) is that Tina is a mortal - she ends up in that "state of limbo" where there's nothing to catch the empty soul but Charon's ferry across the Styx.

But it wasn't Tina's demons that "caught" her. It was Shelly's.

Who was having a near-death experience herself (albeit many miles away).

Lack of Demons = near death experience.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:Technically, it makes sense, since she is able to process bodily functions (and feel pain). Yet she gives off the vibe that this is unusual, that she does not normally get sick. Get hurt through her own fault, yes, but not just "get" sick.
In real life there are people who shrug off epidemic after cold season after flu season for years... they NEVER get sick...

... until something comes through that gives a few other people a minor case of sniffles. Then they are flat on their back, barely conscious, for a week.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Sphinx-Napped wrote: then what is she now hmm interesting i get the feeling that a simple flu is not whats tina has maybe demon flu?
Perhaps it's all in her mind, and she's suffering from demontia?