Stupid Flu 2014-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Stupid Flu 2014-12-05

Post by Catawampus »

oldmanmickey wrote:Its kinda funny to me how many ex military you run into online.
Figure that a country's military is generally one of its largest, most stable, and most widely-advertised employers, and that it is often a starting-off point for kids who want to use it as a sort of spring-board for getting into some other career eventually. Add in how a short term of service is mandatory in many countries, or how it often becomes mandatory during times of crisis. Then take into account that military service generally requires at least a basic ability to read and write, and that it tends to take people out of their parochial mindset and connect them to the wider world. All considered, I wouldn't be surprised if current or former military personnel make up a disproportionate percentage of the people wandering around online fora.

Then of course you get the "I AM A NAVY SEAL SNIPER AND FORM MY EXTINSIVE EXPERTISE AS A SNIEPR IN SALE TEAM 6 SHOOTING AL QAUDA IN THE HEAD FROM FIVE MILES WITH MY UZI I CAN CONCLUDE WIHTOUT A DOUBT THAT HAN FIRED SECOND SO ALL U HATERS ARE WRONG!!!!1!!1" types online. . .
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

This raises a question for me: What is the etiquette of teleporting into someone's house? It looks like Shelly didn't "knock" first even in the paranormal sense of the idea. OK, maybe she's classified as "a friend who has the key and can let themselves in"... but I'd think you'd still prefer to appear at the front door in most cases, in case the resident doesn't want company or needs to get out of a potentially embarrassing entanglement before greeting you. There's also the startle factor; it's probably easier to not jump at the appearance if it's someplace where you expect them to be.

(Other SF&F worlds where teleportation is common have sometimes introduced the concept of a lobby or waiting room that you're supposed to appear in. Occasionally with defenses so you *must* appear there unless given special permission.)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

loxmyth wrote:This raises a question for me: What is the etiquette of teleporting into someone's house? It looks like Shelly didn't "knock" first even in the paranormal sense of the idea. OK, maybe she's classified as "a friend who has the key and can let themselves in"... but I'd think you'd still prefer to appear at the front door in most cases, in case the resident doesn't want company or needs to get out of a potentially embarrassing entanglement before greeting you. There's also the startle factor; it's probably easier to not jump at the appearance if it's someplace where you expect them to be.

(Other SF&F worlds where teleportation is common have sometimes introduced the concept of a lobby or waiting room that you're supposed to appear in. Occasionally with defenses so you *must* appear there unless given special permission.)
I'd hazard a guess that Shelly at least Vorped into her foyer/hallway thing, as she had to ask where Tina was... as for the REST of the world that can poit, no clue as to the etiquette, but i would also guess that the more powerful one is, the less they need to worry about pulling a social faux pas, in the sense of either "might makes right" and *they* didn't do anything *wrong*, OR, that they have all been around for so long that they are jaded enough that someone else poiting into their bedroom while doin'-the-dirty with someone just plain out n' out doesn't phaze them anymore... ergo. it's*normal* and not comment worthy.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I've wondered about that myself a few times, and have come to the general conclusion that there isn't much of an etiquette about it. The only real restriction being exercised seems to be “don't appear in front of uninitiated members of the public”, and even that sometimes gets ignored.

Sure, Brandi got angry when she thought that Jin had appeared unannounced in Brandi's apartment, but Brandi has appeared at times suddenly herself.

There's also the consideration that there seem to be two types of people teleporting: those who can do it “naturally” (Monica, Jin, Bud, Brandi, Tepoz, perhaps a few others), and those who have to use an outside source such as the Library (such as Shelly). While those using the Library system might have some sorts of limits and restrictions placed on them by the system, those who can just do it for themselves wouldn't have any such built-in rules keeping them from appearing in embarrassing situations.

There does seem to be some method to redirect poits, or to simply lock down the ability altogether, but there's been no sign of those methods being in general use.

As a matter of simple courtesy, I'd expect that they'd try to avoid appearing in somebody's bedroom or restroom. They do generally seem to appear in living rooms or kitchens; though that could still cause some rather unpleasant startled reactions, at least it's somewhat less likely to involve appearing in the middle of some socially-awkward moment.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:As a matter of simple courtesy, I'd expect that they'd try to avoid appearing in somebody's bedroom or restroom. They do generally seem to appear in living rooms or kitchens; though that could still cause some rather unpleasant startled reactions, at least it's somewhat less likely to involve appearing in the middle of some socially-awkward moment.
The latter could be especially hazardous if you're teleporting into the presence of someone who is also teleport-capable. She might take offense and act on it.

At that, it was a fairly mild warning. Teleporting an interloper back out into the settling pond of the nearest sewage treatment plant would be a sterner warning (even if their were no balloons or blunderbusses involved).

Doing the Valentine Michael Smith trick of teleporting an unwanted "guest" to... well, nowhere at all... would tend to discourage future visits pretty thoroughly.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My guess is that Shelly did the teleportation equivalent of knocking down a door because you think the occupants are in danger...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

loxmyth wrote:This raises a question for me: What is the etiquette of teleporting into someone's house? It looks like Shelly didn't "knock" first even in the paranormal sense of the idea. OK, maybe she's classified as (Other SF&F worlds where teleportation is common have sometimes introduced the concept of a lobby or waiting room that you're supposed to appear in. Occasionally with defenses so you *must* appear there unless given special permission.)
In Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination (which called teleporting "jaunting" after the first person who had done it) you had to go to a place physically before you could jaunt to it, and even then you had to be aware of location, situation and elevation.

The homes of the wealthy had complex mazes between the door and the actual living areas (which had no windows, at least in rooms outsiders would be allowed into) so that you wouldn't be able to jaunt back in after you'd visited, because the maze would render your sense of location invalid and without being able to see outside, you couldn't use situation for a guide...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

In my scribblings, I play in the Wapsiverse, my main character has a welcome mat just inside his front door. It's in the center of a 3ft square taped off with yellow/black caution tape. That's the aim point for all poits to his place...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:One does not address a Sgt. as "sir"- it would usually be taken as an insult. The common rejoinder is-
"Don't SIR me, I WORK for a living!"
A couple of military buddies - that is, buddies who were in the military while I was not - hit me with that one sometimes. I keep forgetting to ask what it means.
Officers decide what, in vague terms, needs to be done. NCOs are the ones who get it done. (Sometimes, half the job of an NCO seems to be trying to limit the damage caused by or to the higher ranks.)

After spending most of my military career as an NCO, I received my commission at retirement. It still feels strange to be called "sir". Though it could have been worse: they were going to make me a lieutenant. I told them that I'd rather not, as I'd prefer to keep a rank where I'd still receive some respect. But they were really set on promoting me. In the end, they decided to fix the problem by skipping over lieutenant altogether.
I worked with the military, as a gubbmint contractor, for ten years in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many of the younger soldiers would address me as 'Sir.' I would tell them "I'm a Steve, not a sir."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Jumping to another aspect of senior NCOs attitudes and attributes:

On time at ChattaCon, my brother invited me out to dinner (his treat) with him and a local couple he knew.

As we sat down at the table, Dave was making introductions, and he said "...mike was in the Navy, and {I've forgotten his name, it was twenty years ago} was a Master Chief {something}..."

Whereupon i looked pointedly at his left hand and he grinned and held it up with the index finger hooked.

And then we both laughed at the puzzled looks his wife and Dave were giving us.

And then we explained that a proper coffee cup hook was part of the Practical Factors you have to pass for promotion to CPO...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:In my scribblings, I play in the Wapsiverse, my main character has a welcome mat just inside his front door. It's in the center of a 3ft square taped off with yellow/black caution tape. That's the aim point for all poits to his place...
Why not a target with more points the closer they get to the center?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
illiad

Post by illiad »

scantrontb wrote:
loxmyth wrote:This raises a question for me: What is the etiquette of teleporting into someone's house? It looks like Shelly didn't "knock" first even in the paranormal sense of the idea. OK, maybe she's classified as "a friend who has the key and can let themselves in"... but I'd think you'd still prefer to appear at the front door in most cases, in case the resident doesn't want company or needs to get out of a potentially embarrassing entanglement before greeting you. There's also the startle factor; it's probably easier to not jump at the appearance if it's someplace where you expect them to be.

I'd hazard a guess that Shelly at least Vorped into her foyer/hallway thing, as she had to ask where Tina was... as for the REST of the world that can poit, no clue as to the etiquette, but i would also guess that the more powerful one is, the less they need to worry about pulling a social faux pas, in the sense of either "might makes right" and *they* didn't do anything *wrong*, OR, that they have all been around for so long that they are jaded enough that someone else poiting into their bedroom while doin'-the-dirty with someone just plain out n' out doesn't phaze them anymore... ergo. it's*normal* and not comment worthy.
erm... they are all girls!! I have two sisters, so I know most don't really bother with knocking!!! :lol: the only 'boundaries' groan I saw on wapsi was when May casually 'popped' Buds (??) hatch.... :o :/
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Why not a target with more points the closer they get to the center?
Then you'd have people wandering around your yard in red shopping carts.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Then you'd have people wandering around your yard in red shopping carts.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:In my scribblings, I play in the Wapsiverse, my main character has a welcome mat just inside his front door. It's in the center of a 3ft square taped off with yellow/black caution tape. That's the aim point for all poits to his place...
Why not a target with more points the closer they get to the center?
Only after other drinking games...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Catawampus wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:One does not address a Sgt. as "sir"- it would usually be taken as an insult. The common rejoinder is-
"Don't SIR me, I WORK for a living!"
A couple of military buddies - that is, buddies who were in the military while I was not - hit me with that one sometimes. I keep forgetting to ask what it means.
Officers decide what, in vague terms, needs to be done. NCOs are the ones who get it done. (Sometimes, half the job of an NCO seems to be trying to limit the damage caused by or to the higher ranks.)

After spending most of my military career as an NCO, I received my commission at retirement. It still feels strange to be called "sir". Though it could have been worse: they were going to make me a lieutenant. I told them that I'd rather not, as I'd prefer to keep a rank where I'd still receive some respect. But they were really set on promoting me. In the end, they decided to fix the problem by skipping over lieutenant altogether.
My dad once said that, as his remaining enlistment time grew short, they offered to make him, successively, corporal, sergeant, staff sergeant, and lieutenant. But by then he had only a month left, so he politely declined.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
loxmyth wrote:This raises a question for me: What is the etiquette of teleporting into someone's house? It looks like Shelly didn't "knock" first even in the paranormal sense of the idea. OK, maybe she's classified as (Other SF&F worlds where teleportation is common have sometimes introduced the concept of a lobby or waiting room that you're supposed to appear in. Occasionally with defenses so you *must* appear there unless given special permission.)
In Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination (which called teleporting "jaunting" after the first person who had done it) you had to go to a place physically before you could jaunt to it, and even then you had to be aware of location, situation and elevation.

The homes of the wealthy had complex mazes between the door and the actual living areas (which had no windows, at least in rooms outsiders would be allowed into) so that you wouldn't be able to jaunt back in after you'd visited, because the maze would render your sense of location invalid and without being able to see outside, you couldn't use situation for a guide...
Then there is the Deryni cosmos--the Eleven Kingdoms--where you need a special enspelled portal stone: that can be put in a proper safe room, with locks and wards before you can escape.