Character Index

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
louisxiv

Re: Character Index

Post by louisxiv »

Update: the Index page now covers 3492 pages of the main comic*, with 1272 tags of people, places and things for your search and selection pleasure.

* including tomorrow’s page (at time of this post) but no eBay- or Patreon-only material.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I've found a tidbit to add to Calista's entry.

The terms 'Seelie' and 'Unseelie' refer to the two fey courts; summer and winter (respectively). Since Cricket was talking about the Unseelie clan fey as though they were rivals, I think it's safe to say that she's a princess of the Court of Summer.

Though, we still don't know if the fey queens of summer and winter actually cause those seasons in the Wapsiverse.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I've found a tidbit to add to Calista's entry.

The terms 'Seelie' and 'Unseelie' refer to the two fey courts; summer and winter (respectively). Since Cricket was talking about the Unseelie clan fey as though they were rivals, I think it's safe to say that she's a princess of the Court of Summer.
That sounds reasonable, thought it should be noted as unconfirmed.
Gyrrakavian wrote:Though, we still don't know if the fey queens of summer and winter actually cause those seasons in the Wapsiverse.
They wouldn't have to . . . they could just be aligned into two groups that call themselves that.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Though, we still don't know if the fey queens of summer and winter actually cause those seasons in the Wapsiverse.
They wouldn't have to . . . they could just be aligned into two groups that call themselves that.

--FreeFlier
Although that could explain the seasons' cruel attacks on Monica... :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

Though, we still don't know if the fey queens of summer and winter actually cause those seasons in the Wapsiverse.
As I recall, the Seelie and Unseelie Courts (in our world's mythologies) were not just summer/winter, but represented a whole light/dark duality - both in appearance (fair-skinned vs. swarthy, beautiful vs. bestial) and in behavior (the Unseelie were more often explicitly malicious towards humanity). The Unseelie were where the monsters under the bed, and the things that go bump in the night, tended to hang out.

That's not to say that the Seelie were safe for humans to be around. Even at their best they were often depicted as imperious, self-absorbed, and rather uncaring as to the harm that their interactions with humans might cause, and very prone to take offense at any slight... and, of course, extremely powerful. They were often referred to as the Fair Folk, the Good Neighbors, and other positive terms like that... at least in part as an explicit show of respect in order to avoid accidentally offending them and bringing down their wrath.

Anybody who hasn't yet read "War For The Oaks" really should. Emma Bull did a great job of depicting the relationship between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, and humans, in a modern setting. It's one of the two best "first fantasy novels" from a new author that I've ever read.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:

As I recall, the Seelie and Unseelie Courts (in our world's mythologies) were not just summer/winter, but represented a whole light/dark duality - both in appearance (fair-skinned vs. swarthy, beautiful vs. bestial) and in behavior (the Unseelie were more often explicitly malicious towards humanity). The Unseelie were where the monsters under the bed, and the things that go bump in the night, tended to hang out.

That's not to say that the Seelie were safe for humans to be around. Even at their best they were often depicted as imperious, self-absorbed, and rather uncaring as to the harm that their interactions with humans might cause, and very prone to take offense at any slight... and, of course, extremely powerful. They were often referred to as the Fair Folk, the Good Neighbors, and other positive terms like that... at least in part as an explicit show of respect in order to avoid accidentally offending them and bringing down their wrath.

Anybody who hasn't yet read "War For The Oaks" really should. Emma Bull did a great job of depicting the relationship between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, and humans, in a modern setting. It's one of the two best "first fantasy novels" from a new author that I've ever read.
Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge novels are also good . . .

--FreeFlier
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

Page ref?
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote:

Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge novels are also good . . .

--FreeFlier
Two personal favourite books featuring Elves and their courts:
- Terry Pratchett’s Lords and Ladies – fantasy disguised as slapstick, and
- Charles Stross’s The Nightmare Stacks – fantasy disguised as techno-thriller
Dave

Post by Dave »

louisxiv wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Since Cricket was talking about the Unseelie clan fey as though they were rivals, I think it's safe to say that she's a princess of the Court of Summer.
Page ref?
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/deserved-it-2/

However... in the following strip, Cricket told Atsali that this wasn't the true story. The Fae that Pickle had killed wasn't an Unseelie, it was one of her father's royal guards.

So, we don't really know whether the "Unseelie" reference is to a clan which really does exist among the Wapsiverse Fae, or whether it's just something legendary that Cricket was referring to in order to make Pickle feel less-bad.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

louisxiv wrote:

Page ref?
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/deserved-it-2/

Admittedly, she was lying about their true identity, inasmuch as they were actually some of the royal guards, but her speech clearly identifies herself as not being an unseelie, and therefore being part of the seelie.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

On FB, Rob Mey wrote:Hiya Paul...sorry to ask what may be a silly question... Timothy...what "is" he? Para specific name. Thanks! If this was mentioned before, apologies.
Pablo wrote:Timothy is a therianthrope. =) Basically a werewolf in the Wapsi Square universe.
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

AmriloJim wrote:
On FB, Rob Mey wrote:Hiya Paul...sorry to ask what may be a silly question... Timothy...what "is" he? Para specific name. Thanks! If this was mentioned before, apologies.
Pablo wrote:Timothy is a therianthrope. =) Basically a werewolf in the Wapsi Square universe.
Ta!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:
louisxiv wrote:Ta!
:?

That basically means animal-form human . . . it doesn't nail down what the animal species is . . . From therios meaning approximately animal, and anthropos meaning man, IIRC.

If he was specifically a wolf, he would be a lycanthrope.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:That basically means animal-form human . . . it doesn't nail down what the animal species is . . . From therios meaning approximately animal, and anthropos meaning man, IIRC.

If he was specifically a wolf, he would be a lycanthrope.
His tail is probably too shaggy for him to be a were-thylacine. Rather a pity...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Mr. Paul may well be holding out a very specific (therefore locking it down past all ambiguity) answer, at least for now, for a reason...

Oh, and Well Done Mr. Looey-da-14th!, well done indeed.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote:Mr. Paul may well be holding out a very specific (therefore locking it down past all ambiguity) answer, at least for now, for a reason... . . .
That's what I think too . . . a very specific non-answer, for now.

--FreeFlier
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

Update: the Wapsi Square index page currently covers 3534 pages of the main comic, with 1288 tags of people, places and things for your search and selection pleasure.

After a bit of thought the seelie / unseelie court point is well argued, but still speculative so I've left that out until confirmed in-comic.

Thanks to AmrilloJim for the Tim classification from Pablo.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Someone, somewhere (not me - i don't draw that good) is already working on the next panel after this, and if it isn't already on Paheal.net, it will be...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Does anyone else think Monica did that on purpose?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Does anyone else think Monica did that on purpose?
I'd have done the same thing. Besides, the two were bound to meet, anyway.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.