No Wait 2014-11-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: No Wait 2014-11-25

Post by illiad »

well tiny dietzel may appear, calming down monica, and make one of his 'sad eyes' towards cricket... where she says to him 'oh hello sweetie! ' :) :) and "that a really nice dog..:) "
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:I cannot figure out how to make a coherent "Cricket Lighter" joke here.
Really? When Calista is on fire, Phix will go looking for Monica to explain that she's supposed to mentor Calista, not be a Cricket lighter.
I think FPF meant something like: "Cricket gets to see the lighter side of Monica."
I don't think I can ever match that one. I just hope the pun jar doesn't flame any of you guys.
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:I don't think I can ever match that one. I just hope the pun jar doesn't flame any of you guys.
Well, Monica is a sub-titan (she's described herself as a demigod) who is now acting as an astral-fire flamethrower.

It's no wonder she's conflicted. She's trapped between the sacred, and the propane.

(drops some sodium into the Pun Jar, and waters it with bitter tears... thus providing the flame you invoked.)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I re-fuse to add fuel to this conversation. It would ash-uredly spark anger and cause tempers to flare.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Realizes he is outclassed by the punsters here so graciously steps out of the line of fire. :)
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

One anxiety arc later, the Library staff get to deal with chasing down a 50-foot-tall jumping spider scuttling through the stacks.
kingklash wrote:I cannot figure out how to make a coherent "Cricket Lighter" joke here.
Hey, I made one yesterday. Does that mean that I get to claim psychic powers?
Opus the Poet wrote:Getting back to today's comic, how long has M been able to breathe fire? To my recollection this is the first time it has been displayed. Something else she learned from Bud?
eee wrote:GAH!!!! NEVER breathe fire in a LIBRARY!!! Even if there are no books in the area, and the Library is sentient and probably can keep the books from burning magically, JUST DON'T DO IT!!!
Well, she's had power over astral fire since her recovery from her latest Gorgon-freezing. And it's been established that astral fire doesn't seem to burn ordinary materials, and has some sort of very selective combustion ability.
Radio365 wrote:So how many times does this kind of stuff have to happen before she realizes that she should probably stop doing things impulsively?
Approximately n+2, where n equals the number of times that she's done so at any particular current time.
shadowinthelight wrote:Image
Wow, school uniforms sure have changed. Or is that what she's wearing to try a new approach on her mentor?
Akamar wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure if Cricket needs Monica or the other way around, because Monica's pretty much bungled all her interactions with the fae at this point. HOnestly, I think she's been ushered into this mentoring position for her own growth, rather than any benefit Cricket might gain, as Monica feels so completely useless as a mentor that it becomes something of a self-fulfilling state.
Well, Phix did pretty much tell Monica that she and Cricket are in the same boat. So if Cricket is needing to be properly trained, then it follows that Monica needs the same. And there is a saying along the lines of "the best way to learn is to teach".
DilyV wrote:. . .Monica needs to be sat down and have everything explained to her. Monica is an information sponge... it seems as long as she's learning something (as long as it doesn't fall outside her preconceived notions) She's happy. She has trouble grasping anything that can not be proven by pure science. Yet her very existence goes against everything she'd learned up to the point she became overtly the Jaguar Girl. She always was... she just hadn't reached that trigger point. Now she has to try and reconcile that somehow and it's undoubtedly driving her nuts. . . .
That's the problem right there. They've tried just talking to her, and because it didn't fit in with what she wanted then she sort of pushed the knowledge away. So now she's having to live the knowledge, rather than just have it mentioned to her.
oldmanmickey wrote:Realizes he is outclassed by the punsters here so graciously steps out of the line of fire. :)
Hey, I'm sure that you can ignite quite the firestorm of discussion on such an incendiary topic.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Monica's just fired up to show Cricket the lighter side of life.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

meisdadoo wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:<Godzilla! Run!> *translated from Japanese*

Was it just me or did everyone hear when the read that. . . :lol:
Blue Oyster Cult for me.
Oh no, there goes Tokyo!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Monica's basic problem is that she hasn't had 80,000+ years to digest who she has become as Phix and Shelly have. Additionally, she keeps trying to use her JG side to guide her in this. She has been human a lot longer than a paranormal so she should be calling on that side of her and forget being JG for a while. How would her mother or grandmother have handled this? That's the thinking she needs to employ now. The JG persona should only come into play if she needs it to control her charge. She may be dealing with a powerful paranormal but, like Bud, Cricket is really still just a young girl, regardless of species or powers. Her parents don't know how to be "human" and it's the human touch she needs now. Calista has had quite enough of the heavy handed end of things and the constant fear that goes along with it. Monica is the only one we know of who is still enough human to provide that and enough paranormal to restrain Calista as needed.

I think Monica sees her humanity slipping away and that scares the hell out of her. She's not ready for that yet. It may be tens of thousands of years before she is. Shelly had those tens of thousands of years. That's why she was able to fatally whoop-ass on a fellow sphinx and even enjoy her as sphinx tar-tar afterwards, as is their ghoulish custom. I believe she even said she feels closer to her sphinx side of the family than her human side now. In the meantime, Monica can still do some good for Cricket. Even if it takes a very long time.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

meisdadoo wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:<Godzilla! Run!> *translated from Japanese*

Was it just me or did everyone hear when the read that. . . :lol:
Actually I heard the little Civil Defense car warnings...but I can't find a recording of it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous