Deal With It 2014-11-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Deal With It 2014-11-24

Post by AmriloJim »

Catawampus wrote:Bia and Phix had to take a cross-country road trip together, during which they experienced whimsical adventures, dramatic revelations, the true meanings of forgiveness and friendship, and various techniques to clean bloodstains out of apparel.
Using a '66 Ford Thunderbird convertible as their chariot?
(Posted from the laptop in the cab... not practical to digitally seat the ladies in the car.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yamara wrote:Despite Paul's insistence, and everyone's comments, I just don't see how Monica is bound to volunteer. It's not the army, and if whinging is her only excuse, what are they going to do? Phix could eat her, and she'd just rebirth in her stomach and poit away. Sucks, it's the low road, it's letting everyone down, her hero days are done, but she can walk away.

It's not as though she's made a Dire Oath in Hatred before a witness that can enforce the terms of th--

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/one-to-speak/

... Okay, M, you whizzed on the electric fence. Don't forget to punch in.
Ding ding ding ding ding... We have a winnah!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Something just hit me as I was pondering Phix's reaction.

She knows.

She has access to the information - sealed or not - about Monica's rape.

She probably knows better than to minimize it with her, but she has likely seen worse. Much worse.

So her reaction, though terse, is justifiable.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

The thing is Monica has already gotten advice from Phix and it wasn't all that helpful:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/saturday-too/
Third panel.

That advice didn't work out too well for her since the hard line she used had the little Fae running off in tears. Phix's advice tends to be hard line so going to her for further consultation is not likely to do much good and Monica knows it. This was reinforced in the previous comic when she simply yelled at her to deal with it. Phix also made it clear she was aware Monica and Calista were two of a kind and could be of help to each other.

The thing I don't get is why Calista is under sentence of confinement. There are supposedly many other Fae out there who do the same sort of things she did and worse and are, as far as we know, not being threatened with such punishment. I know, she's special being a princess and future leader, but still it seems unfair she is being singled out, while the rank and file go their merry way doing as they please.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
illiad

Post by illiad »

I think cricket is a fae that has learned to use *feelings*... so a bit more worthy....:)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

KnightDelight wrote:. . . it seems unfair [Cricket] is being singled out, while the rank and file go their merry way doing as they please.
But once she gets sorted out and takes power, then not only will she be in a position to do something about those other fae, but she'll also have some idea of how to go about doing so. Simply locking up the entire race and then trying a large-scale experiment on social evolution on them might not be the best of ideas.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Catawampus wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:. . . it seems unfair [Cricket] is being singled out, while the rank and file go their merry way doing as they please.
But once she gets sorted out and takes power, then not only will she be in a position to do something about those other fae, but she'll also have some idea of how to go about doing so. Simply locking up the entire race and then trying a large-scale experiment on social evolution on them might not be the best of ideas.
Yes, but if that's the case why aren't her parents, the current leaders, not already doing something about it? Why wait for her to take power? The current royalty seems to be past the bad Fae thing already. I suppose it could be that she just isn't shaping up as the parents would have liked. The cheerleader incident being proof positive Calista still has nasty Fae tendencies in her and the parents have all but given up. Now that I think more about it, it could also be they have to keep her locked up because of her power as royalty. Without a drastic change in attitude, she could do really irreparable harm as queen. Harm no other Fae could do, none of the other Fae being high royalty and all. Who knows, I'm over thinking this no doubt.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

KnightDelight wrote:The thing is Monica has already gotten advice from Phix and it wasn't all that helpful:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/saturday-too/
Third panel.

That advice didn't work out too well for her since the hard line she used had the little Fae running off in tears. Phix's advice tends to be hard line so going to her for further consultation is not likely to do much good and Monica knows it. This was reinforced in the previous comic when she simply yelled at her to deal with it. Phix also made it clear she was aware Monica and Calista were two of a kind and could be of help to each other.

The thing I don't get is why Calista is under sentence of confinement. There are supposedly many other Fae out there who do the same sort of things she did and worse and are, as far as we know, not being threatened with such punishment. I know, she's special being a princess and future leader, but still it seems unfair she is being singled out, while the rank and file go their merry way doing as they please.
i don't think it's so much as a "sentence of" confinement, but more likely her parents reaction to her being "unusual" for a Fae, and as her parents they want to protect their daughter from harm: how better to do that: Keep her away from other Fae (and other sources of harm), of course... so only the family, and well-trusted guards/servants get to interact with her... Personally, i think the punishment of being sent to Tartarus was a bluff, it being the greater evil, in a choice of the lesser of two evils... "hmm, go to Tartarus and get locked up there for eternity, and/or get locked up in the hotel room again for eternity... OR... get mentored by The Jaguar Girl..." the fact that there even IS a current J.G. was probably NOT told to Cricket, even with the parents knowing full well that there was a new resident Jaguar Girl in town (I'm sure the Royal Family gets updates on stuff such as this, ya know, just like the POTUS does for political stuff) so she did exactly what she said to Atsali and gang... she called their bluff, unfortunately it back-fired on her, since there was indeed, a new J.G. to go thru.
As for OTHER Fae doing the same or worse and getting away with it, i think that that's just a case of "they don't know any better" and/or are genetically programmed that way. it would be like blaming a Rattlesnake for biting someone when they *should have* just ignored a person poking them with a stick... no way in heck are they going to do that, of course they are going to bite that person, they are just "wired" that way.... so you CAN'T "blame" them for being themselves (yes, you'd blame the idiot with the stick, but still) and if some one complains about the goober getting bit, all we'd say would be "well, DOY!... it's a Rattlesnake.. OF COURSE! you were gonna get bit, what else did you expect?!?!"... and that, to me at least, ties in to what ?Nadette? said about how Fae got souls, those that went thru the doorway into the Guf, GOT souls and those that either DIDN'T go, or were not there at all, are the ones that DON'T have souls, and THOSE Fae are the ones that "get away with" stuff like that, it's the ones that HAVE remorse (like Cricket) that are the ones trying to change that aspect of their culture / race... i said earlier that i also think that this is the distinction between the Seelie and UNSeelie courts...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »