So Weak 2012-08-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MrFireDragon

Re: So Weak 2012-08-13

Post by MrFireDragon »

Could it be a male counterpart to Nudge? perhaps called Drag or something similar? you know all that positive and negative, good and evil, up and down, ying and yang things that rule the universe to create balance?
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

(Sucks air through teeth)

Yeah... that's gonna leave a mark.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Male or female not withstanding, whoever that unnamed Sphinx is I say we just call it finished. (Unless they can grow back a brain like Justin seemed to do).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Wow! This has been the busiest strip response topic yet :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I thought no one could be hurt or killed while in the Library?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Mark N wrote:Male or female not withstanding, whoever that unnamed Sphinx is I say we just call it finished. (Unless they can grow back a brain like Justin seemed to do).
Hm... why am I reminded of other goat-headed nuisances...
"Pleease, no hurt, no kill. Keep alive and next time good bring to you."
--Gharbad 'The Weak', Diablo I
Yeah. He's dumb enough to turn on you later, too.
Bathorys Daughter wrote:I thought no one could be hurt or killed while in the Library?
No, only the Head Librarian is so protected: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/turntodust/ . Threats to others have to be real, otherwise, all those adventurers could invade the Library and have free sailing. The Library seems to act like the Time Forest in that one sphinx is protected; but the apos seem to be allowed to challenge that (see the links in my previous post).

I think allowing challengers to the inviolate chief sphinx in these places is a check on that invincible power. But that's just the game designer in me talking. Paul hasn't said why one sphinx is given invulnerability, nor explained "how" it works.

One other thing. If the Library protects one sphinx, but not against other sphinxes, that means this was as deadly a punch as today's: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/did-she/

So Bia was intervening for a real and good reason. Shame she's such a royal #@&*up.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Well, she certainly convinced him to be a little more open-minded. *klink klank klunk*

That top panel of a pissed-off Phix with a clenched fist (phist?) is just asking to be somebody's family crest.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Camris wrote:Could that have been a demon? If sphinxes have them?
For what it's worth, the horns resemble those of the goat-headed sphinxes thst Connie was portrayed facing down in the Time Forest. Phix has described herself as being the low sphinx on the totem pole; this might be one of the other apotropaic sphinxes, charged with guarding the Library, who just got a little bit too smug and superior at precisely the wrong moment.

He let his attitude get a bit too jerky, and now he's fit for nothing but.

(*clink*)

My guess is that this is not a "sphinx demon". From all we've been told about the relationship between sphinxes and demons, I don't think demons are able to infest sphinxes the way they can affect humans... sphinxes seem quite capable of obliterating any demon foolish enough to try such a stunt.
Could it be related to Nudge also? I believe she has horns similar to these--if an order of magnitude smaller. Not Hudge herself, but maybe one of her not-so-great Uncles?

(This is why you should be ready to say "Uncle", kiddies)
[drops in a white flag]
Atomic wrote:
as363 wrote:Veni Vidi Departum (Bad Latin).
Veni Vidi Vengence

There - I fixed that for you.

How about:
Veni, vidi, evastavi.
It even has a fourth foot in pretty much the right rhythm.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

So, at the moment anyway, it looks as though Phix is a murdering bi**ch after all. I mean, assuming she did just kill someone (of whichever sex/species) just for saying something she didn't like, that's murder to me. Hopefully it will turn out not to be the case. If it is as it appears, however, she has just become the most vile, bloodthirsty character in the group. To me, anyway. Shelly, at least would have had an excuse in her lashing out without thinking. Phix has none.

Makes me wonder if all this talk of non-violence she has been spouting all along has been just a bald faced lie. Could we be seeing a bold hint of her hidden agenda here? An agenda that belies her outward mild manner?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It wasn't murder. It was suicide.

It's like going up to a gorilla that's got a known toothache, and an infected big toe, then hitting it with a stick. It's GOING to rip your head off.

(Or going into a dwarf bar and asking for a 'short beer')

It's suicide.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

bmonk wrote:Veni, vidi, evastavi.
It even has a fourth foot in pretty much the right rhythm.
I came, I saw, I devistated... I really like it.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:I mean, assuming she did just kill someone (of whichever sex/species) just for saying something she didn't like, that's murder to me.
Surely obvious wrongs have yanked maternal exegencies?

She's being mocked, with a suggestion of rape, for having her son taken from her for a breeding program.

Apos are killers. They know the rules.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:So, at the moment anyway, it looks as though Phix is a murdering bi**ch after all. I mean, assuming she did just kill someone (of whichever sex/species) just for saying something she didn't like, that's murder to me. Hopefully it will turn out not to be the case. If it is as it appears, however, she has just become the most vile, bloodthirsty character in the group. To me, anyway. Shelly, at least would have had an excuse in her lashing out without thinking. Phix has none.

Makes me wonder if all this talk of non-violence she has been spouting all along has been just a bald faced lie. Could we be seeing a bold hint of her hidden agenda here? An agenda that belies her outward mild manner?

If Phix was not in a bad emotional place at that moment I would agree with you,but in this case you are off base. At that moment Phix was in mental torment and some MORON decides to push her buttons. I have to agree with Bookworm, it was not murder, it was suicide by battle scared mother.

Oh and Yamara, I love your PunPal idea
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:Male or female not withstanding, whoever that unnamed Sphinx is I say we just call it finished. (Unless they can grow back a brain like Justin seemed to do).
Like that alien from Men in Black who kept getting his head blown off. "Do you have any idea how much that stings?" :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

We need a red-haired ape to show up holding a mop and pushing a cart full of bricks.

Looks at Phix, says "Ooook."

Phix: "Yeah, I know, I know."
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Leak

Post by Leak »

Prester Fred wrote:Yeah... that's gonna leave a mark.
Or... it's gonna mark a leave...

Which way to the pun vault?
Gemi

Post by Gemi »

Voice of the library?

~Gemi
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:So, at the moment anyway, it looks as though Phix is a murdering bi**ch after all. I mean, assuming she did just kill someone (of whichever sex/species) just for saying something she didn't like, that's murder to me. Hopefully it will turn out not to be the case. If it is as it appears, however, she has just become the most vile, bloodthirsty character in the group. To me, anyway. Shelly, at least would have had an excuse in her lashing out without thinking. Phix has none.

I think you have to look at context. I think, and want to believe, that Phix believes in her nonviolent philosophy. But she is still a Sphinx. And like every other Sphinx, including Shelly, she is a predator. As was discussed extensively in the lost and lamented comments after Shelly clawed up Justin, you don't suprise or antagonize lions or tigers or bears. Oh My.

I think what happened here is that someone who was used to pushing Phix around and had come to think of her as weak picked exactly the wrong time to open his big fat yap. Phix is enraged. Anyone who has a cat knows to leave them alone when they're mad. Now imagine that in a six ton supernatural predator. I won't say Phix isn't responsible for her actions, but there are mitigating circumstances.

Speaking of Justin, at the begining of all this,Phix told Shelly they had been set up. Running down the list, it was Bia that convinced Phix to give up her son "for his own good". It was Bia that posed as his childhood freind, "grew up" with him and married him. It was Bia who had seven sons because she was trying for a girl who would have the potential to become a Sphinx. It was Bia who faked her death and abandoned Shelly to "make her stronger". And from her intial approach, it's clear she was going to pose as a relative more distant than Shelly's mother to act as a guide and mentor after Shelly's trust in Phix had been broken. It would have given her influence over an extremly powerful being. (I'd say that's been blown all to hell.)

And we find out Justin was shot through the head and lost his memory. Bet THAT wasn't an accident.

If you've gone to the trouble of using yourself to breed the worlds first Titan/Sphinx hybrid, why stop there? Why not pair your hybrid daughter off with an availible Titan playing mortal in an attempt to see if you can get more Titanosphinxes. If you can maintain influence over thier potential matriarch, you'd eventualy have an army of beings at your diposal, right?

Too bad Nudge spilled the beans. And I bet Phix has realized all of this, too. Which is why she's in such a foul mood.

I really DO NOT LIKE Bia.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Ya know, i've lived with cats pretty consistently for more than fifty years.

Based on those accumulated years of experience, and looking at that first panel, i would say that, yup, that ol' boy just committed suicide by mouth.

There is no way i'd even come into claw reach of a cat with that body language, much less tease it...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I'm not sure it is a sphinx. I t doesn;t appear to have wings.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced