Snowfall 2014-11-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TazManiac

Re: Snowfall 2014-11-19

Post by TazManiac »

OK, a couple a things:

- I'd assume by now Monica has/had at her disposal much more resources than just provided by her daily income from the Museum. Her G'Pa liked to tipple; the wine in the cellar could be a family inheritance.

- "I turned her into a Lesbian...". I was being ironic and butt-hurt as witticism (wise-ass), based on personal experience which I will not document here in detail. I get to talk about stuff without being misogynistic. There is some lightening up after the pain and scar tissue. There will be jokes.

- This is an ongoing story arc and most of us aren't privy to where it's going, but more than one of us doesn't 'like' whats happening to (fictitious character) Kevin and whats being perpetrated by (fictitious character) Georgette. (I'm of a fair mind though that something is happening to Georgette also...)

Hey, Dude's been around more than Ten Years, off and on: start here and read forward twenty old strips or thereabouts... (not that its his intro, but rather their getting together...)

That so many are so vocal about this is a testament to the power of Mr.Taylor's creation, but lets keep one last thing in mind- I'm not hate'n anybody...
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I agree the page is very well done but I for one have to say I'm not really a big fan of Kevin and bud ending up together. I mean its nice to give Kevin a reason to exist but buds crush was always one sided school girl crush. I'm all for her getting an social life but Kevin? no just no
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Kerric wrote:I wanted to say a word or two in the OP's defense. Basically I can relate to having my heart ripped out at the end of the relationship in a similar fashion. The OP relates that it nearly killed them. It had become too painful for them to continue reading the strip on a daily basis, reliving that pain of the day-to-day drip of despair and devastation. It's not a fun read for them anymore. They didn't demand that things be changed back. They did comment that the writing doesn't seem right or complete, and I tend to agree, but a number of people have also commented on that.

I understand not appreciating incessant whining and criticism of a product that is (1) free and (2) well done and (3) not forced on a reader. However, the OP seemed to be commenting on how the strip evoked a difficult emotion for them, for plot reasons that seemed forced.
Which is fine.

Problem is someone registering an account just to say nothing more than what comes across as "I'm gonna pick up my marbles and go home because I don't like what you just did and I'm gonna go tell all the other kids you don't play right and you're a meanyhead. So there!. Nyah!"
the song "you're so vain" comes to mind here when I read your post

they didn't come here to post to get a reaction from us on the forum, he posted it as a form of emotional epitaph to the time and emotion that person put into reading this comic. the same thing happed with the whole Spiderman brand new day debacle which now that I think about it shares a lot in common with what happened in the comic. (main characters listen to demon/s ending well liked long term paring for drama and angering fan base)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

dex drako wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Problem is someone registering an account just to say nothing more than what comes across as "I'm gonna pick up my marbles and go home because I don't like what you just did and I'm gonna go tell all the other kids you don't play right and you're a meanyhead. So there!. Nyah!"
the song "you're so vain" comes to mind here when I read your post

they didn't come here to post to get a reaction from us on the forum, he posted it as a form of emotional epitaph to the time and emotion that person put into reading this comic. the same thing happed with the whole Spiderman brand new day debacle which now that I think about it shares a lot in common with what happened in the comic. (main characters listen to demon/s ending well liked long term paring for drama and angering fan base)
Think what you like.

But people who never said anything suddenly materialising in the forum/lettercol and explaining how butthurt they are by your recent Complete Trashing Of Everything That Made This Comic Great and they're never reading/buying your comic Ever Again is such a standard thing - a cliché, even - that i fail to see how this is any different from all the other times, or why i should accord it any more respect than i have in Peter David's blog, the Spider-Man lettercols, the Misfile forum, the Pibgorn and 9 Chickweed Lane comments, this comic's comments before now, etc., etc.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just remember, if one is being put on a bus, it's still easier to come back, with another bus... It would be a lot harder to do if a bridge had been dropped on him, paranormal elements of the wapsivere notwithstanding... :P
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Yeah, Tepoz came came back. Probably not by another bus, but still.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

lake_wrangler wrote:Just remember, if one is being put on a bus, it's still easier to come back, with another bus... It would be a lot harder to do if a bridge had been dropped on him, paranormal elements of the wapsivere notwithstanding... :P
Unless, God forbid, The Bus Crashed.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

kingklash wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Just remember, if one is being put on a bus, it's still easier to come back, with another bus... It would be a lot harder to do if a bridge had been dropped on him, paranormal elements of the wapsivere notwithstanding... :P
Unless, God forbid, The Bus Crashed.
Or the bus got a bridge dropped on it? :P
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Thor wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:
Thor wrote:At first glance it looked like he had shaved off the chin jungle, and I was thinking "No matter how bad it feels right now, it was all worth it to get rid of that thing!" Sadly, on second glance, it is still suckling on his lower face.

Poor Kevin. Doomed by poor grooming and not even aware of it.
Dude, what is it with you and facial hair? As a guy who routinely grows his face a winter coat every year I find it vaguely (or maybe not-so-vaguely) offensive. :ugeek:
There's a beard, which is a proud man-carpet. And there's no beard which is sleek and functional. Then there is the Kevin Shrub, which is as ridiculous as a chocolate-chip cookie with only one small chocolate chip, right in the middle. And it's actually carob.

I suppose it could be worse. He could have nothing but a soul patch. Even Frank Zappa had have an epic mustache to justify the existence of that soul patch.

Like Yoda said, "Beard, or beard not. There is no goatee."
There is one excuse for a goatee: A young child learning to draw.

bmonk

Post by bmonk »

KnightDelight wrote:How do people go out in that kind of weather with nothing on their heads? No stocking cap, no hood up. Not even earmuffs. Even a cartoon character's ears would freeze off.
Actually, you get acclimated to it. Or else go around for nine months every year bundled up from head to toes.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Some thoughts about that wine . . . .

My best friend and I make wine in his cellar. (I'm drinking some from 2008 right now.) If you regularly drink wine with dinner, and you also just like to drink with friends, 200 bottles is not that big a pile. A bottle is 4 standard glasses. Two people each having a standard glass of wine with dinner every day will consume 183 bottles per year. (Trust me, they'll drink the extra 2 glasses.) And we know M and her friends like to drink. It pays to stock up if you can, especially if you can buy it young.

Or maybe someone in M's family makes wine.

Ah, who we kidding. Tez lives there, too. :idea:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

bmonk wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:How do people go out in that kind of weather with nothing on their heads? No stocking cap, no hood up. Not even earmuffs. Even a cartoon character's ears would freeze off.
Actually, you get acclimated to it. Or else go around for nine months every year bundled up from head to toes.
From my Colorado skiing days, a nice calm day, even if it's 10 below (F or C), a reasonable amount of motion and dress and the hat becomes optional. Get the wind going and you've got a very different situation. Working up a sweat in snow country is potentially life-threatening because damp clothing makes the situation go from bad to worse in a hurry. Solution? Start by taking off your hat, then open collar, then coat, etc. Stay Cool (not cold) == Stay Dry.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
a_wanderer

Post by a_wanderer »

It's official; I like Kevin better than Monica.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote:
bmonk wrote:
From my Colorado skiing days, a nice calm day, even if it's 10 below (F or C), a reasonable amount of motion and dress and the hat becomes optional. Get the wind going and you've got a very different situation. Working up a sweat in snow country is potentially life-threatening because damp clothing makes the situation go from bad to worse in a hurry. Solution? Start by taking off your hat, then open collar, then coat, etc. Stay Cool (not cold) == Stay Dry.
Something that I learned as a kid, and that later was constantly mentioned during arctic survival training, was that you need to stay warm but not hot. Once you start sweating, then your wet clothes are pretty much the same as wearing no clothes. Thus why you should wear multiple layers of thinner clothing rather than one great big thick coat: you can unzip or take off successive layers as you get warmer, or put back on layers as you get cold. That way you maintain a temperature that's relatively comfortable, and you don't end up ruining the insulating effect of what you're wearing by having it soaked. Plus you can avoid heat-stroke, which would be an embarrassing thing to be incapacitated by during a blizzard.

I've always had very thick and dense hair on top of my head, and so when it's not cut down too short I don't really need a hat under most normal dry Winter conditions. Kevin looks to have a rather respectable bramble of hair covering his skull. He also doubtless has a lot on his mind, and the friction caused by all of those thoughts colliding together in his brain might help to keep his head toasty from the inside-out.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Catawampus wrote:
Atomic wrote:
KnightDelight: "How do people go out in that kind of weather with nothing on their heads? No stocking cap, no hood up. Not even earmuffs. Even a cartoon character's ears would freeze off.

Bmonk: "Actually, you get acclimated to it. Or else go around for nine months every year bundled up from head to toes."
Something that I learned as a kid, and that later was constantly mentioned during arctic survival training, was that you need to stay warm but not hot. Once you start sweating, then your wet clothes are pretty much the same as wearing no clothes. Thus why you should wear multiple layers of thinner clothing rather than one great big thick coat: you can unzip or take off successive layers as you get warmer, or put back on layers as you get cold. That way you maintain a temperature that's relatively comfortable, and you don't end up ruining the insulating effect of what you're wearing by having it soaked. Plus you can avoid heat-stroke, which would be an embarrassing thing to be incapacitated by during a blizzard.

I've always had very thick and dense hair on top of my head, and so when it's not cut down too short I don't really need a hat under most normal dry Winter conditions. Kevin looks to have a rather respectable bramble of hair covering his skull. He also doubtless has a lot on his mind, and the friction caused by all of those thoughts colliding together in his brain might help to keep his head toasty from the inside-out.
About the hair: me too. I have an earmuff my mom knitted--a band around my head that covers (usually) my forehead, lined with fake fur over the ears. It' s enough for all but a few of the coldest winter days. Even when my hair is damp after a shower.

I also remember the "fact" about 90% of heat being emitted through your head: that study was done with full winter clothes except for bare head. Under those conditions, of course the vast majority of heat is through the head. I wonder what sort of percentages would apply to "normal" indoor clothes, or to a fully prepared individual? Probably more like 10-20%.