Where Are You 2014-11-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Where Are You 2014-11-13

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk wrote:And we've already seen that Guidance can't keep her mouth shut.
Which is ironic, considering how frequently "keep your mouth shut" would be excellent guidance.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Maybe this IS about Jet projecting... When she entered Mucho Mocha she compelled Tina to read her and as soon as Monica arrived she was affected by visions either projected by or pulled out of Monica by Jet. Monica came out of it when Jet ran into the door and was knocked unconscious. Tina put Monica to sleep where once again, on a like reality, Monica was pulled deep into Jet's quantum space where she met Jet's demons and was raped by the Tar. Monica came around before Jet did... and confronted Tina. When Jet was unconscious Monica wasn't affected, but the moment she started coming around Monica once again was pulled into another reality by Jet. This time though, Monica, knowing what was happening, chose her own Jaguar space for the meeting. Monica hears Jet's story, tells her own, and the arc ends with Monica and Jet curled up on what we assume is Monica's couch with no explanation of what happened between the afternoon at Mucho Mocha and the evening setting on Monica's couch. We get a glimpse of Jet and Monica running off to France for some antiquing... but other than that we haven't seen Jet again until now.

Curiouser and curiouser
There's a possible explanation for much of this, which would tie into another plot thread that's come up in the past year or two. It's surely wrong but it would clarify so much... why she has such a strong effect on Monica in particular, her unusual metabolism, and (perhaps) why she might have been particularly vulnerable to being picked out and sexually assaulted as a young girl.

Simply: Georgette isn't entirely human. She's an earlier product of the same series of laboratory cross-breeding experiments which eventually developed Castela... similar goal, different starting material.

Gorgette is a hybrid, weaponized catnip plant. Of course her presence knocks the Jaguar Girl for a loop!
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Dave wrote: There's a possible explanation for much of this, which would tie into another plot thread that's come up in the past year or two. It's surely wrong but it would clarify so much... why she has such a strong effect on Monica in particular, her unusual metabolism, and (perhaps) why she might have been particularly vulnerable to being picked out and sexually assaulted as a young girl.

Simply: Georgette isn't entirely human. She's an earlier product of the same series of laboratory cross-breeding experiments which eventually developed Castela... similar goal, different starting material.

Gorgette is a hybrid, weaponized catnip plant. Of course her presence knocks the Jaguar Girl for a loop!
Or, more simply, she could be a succubus, or have something of that in her family line.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Thanks to my handy-dandy, portable, evolutionary, revolutionary, one-size-fits-all, free range, Multi-dimensional InterSpace Vortex with Soft-serve Ice Cream attachment, I'm bringing in enough Hot Chocolate mix to Confusion Corner to last us through to Spring. And marshmallows enough to keep even Castela busy until then.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:Maybe this IS about Jet projecting... When she entered Mucho Mocha she compelled Tina to read her and as soon as Monica arrived she was affected by visions either projected by or pulled out of Monica by Jet. Monica came out of it when Jet ran into the door and was knocked unconscious. Tina put Monica to sleep where once again, on a like reality, Monica was pulled deep into Jet's quantum space where she met Jet's demons and was raped by the Tar. Monica came around before Jet did... and confronted Tina. When Jet was unconscious Monica wasn't affected, but the moment she started coming around Monica once again was pulled into another reality by Jet. This time though, Monica, knowing what was happening, chose her own Jaguar space for the meeting. Monica hears Jet's story, tells her own, and the arc ends with Monica and Jet curled up on what we assume is Monica's couch with no explanation of what happened between the afternoon at Mucho Mocha and the evening setting on Monica's couch. We get a glimpse of Jet and Monica running off to France for some antiquing... but other than that we haven't seen Jet again until now.

Curiouser and curiouser
There's a possible explanation for much of this, which would tie into another plot thread that's come up in the past year or two. It's surely wrong but it would clarify so much... why she has such a strong effect on Monica in particular, her unusual metabolism, and (perhaps) why she might have been particularly vulnerable to being picked out and sexually assaulted as a young girl.

I don't think so at all. Monica's reaction before and after she entered Jet's Demon space came from the TAR. It was a spiritual rapist and took a shot at Monica twice before she stopped it. So don't give that to Jet.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I wish I could intelligently comment on all the speculation as to what is going on here, but the truth is I'm helplessly stuck in confusion corner with a mug of enhanced cocoa (ie with chiles, cinnamon and Kahlua) and a sandwich...eagerly awaiting this all to unravel further....
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

DilyV wrote:The last thing Monica says here might be why Jet has returned with "issues" that need to be addressed: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-their-fault/ Through this whole arc it is clear that Jet loves Monica... even if that love is something she won't admit publically, but when did it happen? Their first meeting was the photo shoot with Amanda for Jet's restaurant/pub. I don't remember any other times where they met till Tina called her to Mucho Mocha to deal with Jet.
The first we see of Monica after the Calendar ritual storyline, Georgette is seeking her company:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-things-sorte/

This follows directly on Bud making her pass at Justin, while cosplaying a conspiracy bumpkin.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Strawberrycocoa

Post by Strawberrycocoa »

I kind of flit in and out of Wapsi so forgive me if I've mised something obvious here, but where in previous strips have we seen Monica treat Kevin the way Georgette describes (using him, brow-beating him nto doing what she wants, treating him like a prized object to keep hold of). I don't remember seeing her treat him that way. Hell I can barely remember Kevin's appearences in the last year or so t all. Could probably count them on one hand.

Has all this been happening off-camera?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

kingklash wrote:Thanks to my handy-dandy, portable, evolutionary, revolutionary, one-size-fits-all, free range, Multi-dimensional InterSpace Vortex with Soft-serve Ice Cream attachment, I'm bringing in enough Hot Chocolate mix to Confusion Corner to last us through to Spring. And marshmallows enough to keep even Castela busy until then.
OK, who stuffed the Stay-Puft man into the Great Hall?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Strawberrycocoa wrote:I kind of flit in and out of Wapsi so forgive me if I've mised something obvious here, but where in previous strips have we seen Monica treat Kevin the way Georgette describes (using him, brow-beating him nto doing what she wants, treating him like a prized object to keep hold of). I don't remember seeing her treat him that way. Hell I can barely remember Kevin's appearances in the last year or so t all. Could probably count them on one hand.

Possibly so... we know that we don't see everything in the Wapsi characters' lives (or even all of the really important stuff) first-hand.

Or, possibly, Georgette is projecting her own style of interpersonal behavior onto Monica (she says, explicitly, "you're as selfish as I am", so she may have a tendency to [mis]interpret other peoples' actions in that light).

Or, possibly, Georgette's demons are feeding her "skewed" interpretations of what they know about Monica's relationship with Kevin.

Or, possibly, Georgette is behaving very selfishly, and deliberately attempting to throw Monica's behavior in a bad light in order to get her to break up with Kevin and turn towards 'Jet.

I can only remember two incidents which in any way resemble what Georgette is saying:
  • The time that Kevin returned from a long working trip out of town, and Monica said "Right now I need your body" and dragged him into bed. That was quite a long time ago.
  • The time that Monica, a bit hung over, accidentally "poited" both Bud and Kevin into Kevin's bed while they were asleep. Bud then used the "Oh, thanks for sharing him with me, clearly he doesn't really mean that much to you personally" ploy to push Monica into telling Kevin the truth about herself and her life... Monica was quite freaked out at the thought of losing (or "sharing") Kevin, and had to admit how much he does mean to her. That was also quite a while ago.
I can't recall seeing other interactions between M and K which would suggest that these are "defining patterns" in their relationship.

I can very well believe that Monica is having some... well, "interesting times"... trying to balance her human relationship with Kevin, with all that has taken place in her elevation to sub-Titan near-demigodhood over the past while. She may well be preoccupied much of the time, and perhaps not giving Kevin as much reciprocal attention as he deserves.

But, is she being as cavalier and almost-cruel as Georgette claims? I'd say that conclusion "calls for evidence not established" from our points of view. It may be true, or it may be a subjective misinterpretation, or it may be a deliberately manipulative "spin" on the truth.
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Dave wrote:
I can very well believe that Monica is having some... well, "interesting times"... trying to balance her human relationship with Kevin, with all that has taken place in her elevation to sub-Titan near-demigodhood over the past while. She may well be preoccupied much of the time, and perhaps not giving Kevin as much reciprocal attention as he deserves.

But, is she being as cavalier and almost-cruel as Georgette claims? I'd say that conclusion "calls for evidence not established" from our points of view. It may be true, or it may be a subjective misinterpretation, or it may be a deliberately manipulative "spin" on the truth.
The latter, possibly? It doesn't necessarily have to be what she IS doing, but what she feels she's doing. She could be starting to develop feelings for Jet, and this gives Doubt and others all kinds of room to play, if their demons are trading information. A button to push..
illiad

Post by illiad »

Strawberrycocoa wrote:I kind of flit in and out of Wapsi so forgive me if I've mised something obvious here, but where in previous strips have we seen Monica treat Kevin the way Georgette describes (using him, brow-beating him nto doing what she wants, treating him like a prized object to keep hold of). I don't remember seeing her treat him that way. Hell I can barely remember Kevin's appearences in the last year or so t all. Could probably count them on one hand.

nope, its all been conjecture on the forum... unless you dont want to be forced to have sex with your incredibly sexy GF.... :/

time for an archive binge! :)
pinglederry

Post by pinglederry »

Strawberrycocoa wrote:I kind of flit in and out of Wapsi so forgive me if I've mised something obvious here, but where in previous strips have we seen Monica treat Kevin the way Georgette describes (using him, brow-beating him nto doing what she wants, treating him like a prized object to keep hold of). I don't remember seeing her treat him that way. Hell I can barely remember Kevin's appearences in the last year or so t all. Could probably count them on one hand.

Well, Mr. Taylor does seem to have a habit of switching from slow-subtle-background-build to a big brick of tell-not-show exposition when the work required to show-not-tell said info would be too much of a digression or too convoluted for even a five-days-a-week comic, or he couldn't find a way to fit it into a previous arc, so this could be one of those times. Or something else could be going on. It's a toss-up. *makes some tea, sets up camp*

...that said, poor Bud. There are ways to remind a friend that a mutual friend has a thing for said friend's SO (not that any of them are <I>good</I> ways if you still want to stay friends with either of them, unless the mutual friend is being underhanded about it which Bud isn't), but right in front of them in an attempt to emotionally blackmail the friend is <I>definitely</I> not one of them, even if you are shit-faced and a vulnerable mess.
Last edited by pinglederry on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PaigeFault

Post by PaigeFault »

Seems to me that this is a bit of Jet doing some mouth diarrhea due to the lowered inhibitions. Not that she's spectacularly inhibited to begin with. I'm thinking the whole mind-share gave her the insights into M that M isn't fully aware of. She tends to ignore inconvenient truths, especially about herself.

Not that this is an appropriate venue or method of Jet getting her opinion in. It would have been better to have a cup of tea and discuss it. But sometimes folks need a whammy hammer to open their eyes.

-Paige
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

AmriloJim wrote:
kingklash wrote:Thanks to my handy-dandy, portable, evolutionary, revolutionary, one-size-fits-all, free range, Multi-dimensional InterSpace Vortex with Soft-serve Ice Cream attachment, I'm bringing in enough Hot Chocolate mix to Confusion Corner to last us through to Spring. And marshmallows enough to keep even Castela busy until then.
OK, who stuffed the Stay-Puft man into the Great Hall?
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/anormalpubgirl/
Dave wrote:Or, possibly, Georgette is projecting her own style of interpersonal behavior onto Monica (she says, explicitly, "you're as selfish as I am", so she may have a tendency to [mis]interpret other peoples' actions in that light).

Or, possibly, Georgette's demons are feeding her "skewed" interpretations of what they know about Monica's relationship with Kevin.

Or, possibly, Georgette is behaving very selfishly, and deliberately attempting to throw Monica's behavior in a bad light in order to get her to break up with Kevin and turn towards 'Jet.
I'm leaning toward Jet being brutally honest, since the two of them can only pretend to not know one another's secrets.

But as the comic above suggests, Jet wants things a certain way, and Monica will question her whether means change the ends.

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Now I want ice cream and cocoa.

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Something about Jet. Or maybe something about Monica?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Seems time for Monica to either consult Tina to get the skinny on Jet's demons or go into JG mode herself and confront them directly. Obviously Jet is very much under their influence. Makes me wonder if Tar really is gone or was just beaten down for a time and hiding out. Getting this aggressive would be more it's MO. Going all Jaguar Girl to get to the bottom of this might sober her right up as well.

As to Monica's being able to break bones and such like any normal human, I'm not so sure about that. Remember she took a couple of flying leaps from very high while still in human form without any damage upon touchdown. I think she has gained much more than simply regeneration after death. It would seem she is match for any paranormal as well. She can get really amped up only on JG form probably, but can hold her own with little problem while still looking human. Generally she seems to have taken on the imperviousness of the other paranormals in addition to an endless life.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

It would seem she is match for any paranormal as well. She can get really amped up only on JG form probably, but can hold her own with little problem while still looking human. Generally she seems to have taken on the imperviousness of the other paranormals in addition to an endless life.
She and... um... who was it... I forget. Anyway, it was pointed out that while the two of THEM could take on the armies of the world and win, there are more fragile supernaturals around.

So yeah, Monica is rather tougher than the average person.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote:
It would seem she is match for any paranormal as well. She can get really amped up only on JG form probably, but can hold her own with little problem while still looking human. Generally she seems to have taken on the imperviousness of the other paranormals in addition to an endless life.
She and... um... who was it... I forget. Anyway, it was pointed out that while the two of THEM could take on the armies of the world and win, there are more fragile supernaturals around.

So yeah, Monica is rather tougher than the average person.
Yeah... Phix was doing the pointing out, and Monica and Shelly were on the receiving end...